Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
My NAPA started carrying Armstrong Tools.  The Carlyle tools they were stocking were "Globally Manufactured" crap!!  They went outside and picked up an Armstrong dealership.  These have been great tools!!  Made in the USA!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Estwing , FTW
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know I'm getting smarter poorer when I look more at the label for a "Made in USA/America" tag than the price.

I try to buy US made when I can, but sometimes it just doesn't make financial sense.

I try to buy 'hardware' type things - everything from pots and pans to furniture that's American made but for certain things it's a lost cause. Textiles (other than a good work coat and gloves) usually end up coming from Taiwan and anything electronic is from Asia.

I'll pay 50% more for something if it's American and I habitually support companies who hold domestic labor central in their business model.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You have to look at each piece, individually.

I have found made in the US hand tools from the various manufacturers, in recent years:

Stanley (screwdrivers)
Crescent Channel Lock (wrenches) (corrected)
Great Neck (pliers)
Kobalt (sockets); not sure.
Craftsman (hammers)

Most times you can find tools made in US, but it is very hard.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Since we're on the topic I bought one of these a few months ago and I haven't stopped using it since..made by Mayhew in France.
 [/div]

Most of the Mayhew tools are still made in the US, right up the road from me.  I have a giant pry bar that I still haven't come up with an excuse to use, yet.  Brownells sells their punches.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Harry J. Epstein

I like shopping for tools at Epstein. Not everything is made in the US but they make it very easy to see what is or isn't.

I bought a bunch of stuff for a local church youth group from them....good quality stuff for the most part.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Hit the pawn shops...
You can find craftsman, snap-on
most anything for next to nothing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I buy Craftsman tools exclusively because they rarely fail. When they do, Sears does honor the replacement warranty. They don't even ask how I broke the tools.

Years ago I needed to bend a wrench to get a bell housing bolt out. I heated the wrench up with a torch, bent it and when I was done heated it back up and hammered it as strait as I could. Returned it for a new one That's when I found the need for some extra cheaper wrenches to bend or cut the handles off as needed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I would be interested to know what a person does with tools anyway, anymore.  You cant fix that iPod, iPad or iPhone with American made tools,  Just sayin..........

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Bondhus Allen Wrenches
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lie-Nielsen.  

Bring your wallet.  

Then after you empty that...

Bridge City Tools

Forest City Tool

Crick Level Co.

L.S. Starrett

Bring your wife's pocketbook.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Buy used on e-bay.

I've bought a lot of stuff off of the truck over the years.  Now for most stuff, I go to ebay. Depending on what it is, you may have to wait for it to show up. For common stuff, you can take your pick for 50cents on the dollar or less for new or like new. I buy good or like new, used Snap On or USA before new Chinese. All of my electric tools and most of my air tools are USA. I fix them, I find them for sale. I don't buy Chinese.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Did someone say channellock? I love my channellocks.
Here's my family photo.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If it does the job, why doescit have to be made in the USA?

Cheap, Chinese shit never does the job. At least, not for me. I can tell the difference just holding it in my hand. The material is inferior, the fit and finish is shit, the tolerances are unacceptable.

That's like asking why buy a Colt when a Hesse will spit a bullet out the barrel just the same.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lie-Nielsen.  

Bring your wallet.  

Bridge City Tools -   awesome tools that are never available.  

Forest City Tool

Crick Level Co.

L.S. Starrett - I have a Starrett problem.  Found an 8" combo square last week for $15.  Love that thing, great size.   Also just got a used but NIB bevel vernier protractor off eBay for $100.  

Old Street Tools

Blue Spruce Toolworks

Glen-Drake

Brese Plane

Benchcrafted

Bad Axe Toolworks - check them out if you haven't seen his stuff.  Former SF guy turned saw maker.  I've got one of his dovetail saws.  Fucking sweet.

Gramercy Tools

Shit, typing all that out made me realize how many really, really good small toolmakers are out there now.  Waaaaay more than even five years ago.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I came here to say, I fucking hate import/ off shore/ Chinese/ piece of shit tools. I will spend quite a bit more to buy American tools. American or some European is all ill do anymore.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Klein tools

Came in here to post this. I worked at their Chicago factory for 4 years. Great hand tools. May be a little hard to find. I think Home Depot &Sears carry a limited selection.

Quality has gone to crap the last few years.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I came here to say, I fucking hate import/ off shore/ Chinese/ piece of shit tools. I will spend quite a bit more to buy American tools. American or some European is all ill do anymore.

Glad you mentioned European tools. If  I  don't buy American tools   I prefer German like Knipex pliers or Whil screwdrivers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad you mentioned European tools. If  I  don't buy American tools   I prefer German like Knipex pliers or Whil screwdrivers.

Wiha > Knipex

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Looking to buy decent tools and not spend a bit? That doesn't work. Anything of good quality is going to cost something.

I'm a crane mechanic at a railyard and I have an assortment of Craftsman and Mac, mostly. Sockets are sockets, but ratchets and other various tools need to be top brand stuff in my field. SnapOn has some nice stuff but our truck guy is a jerk so no money from me. In all honesty, if you aren't going to use your tools professionally, anything with a lifetime warranty is perfect. Don't spend a lot of money for SnapOn if you will only use them once amonth. Waste of money.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I get used sockets for $1 a piece at flea markets. I always lose 8mm and 10mm sockets working on my truck. I don't care what sockets I use, but put some money in a good ratchet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I use my tools all day everyday, so yeah I bought all Snap-On with a few Klein and Channellock for work.

At home, I use inherited tools from my grandpa, which consist of old Craftsman, proto, and retro Snap-on tools. High quality stuff that's still going strong decades later.

For my truck I have Harbor Freight . I filled a box full of tools for like $50, so I won't be too pissed if someone steals it!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looking to buy decent tools and not spend a bit? That doesn't work. Anything of good quality is going to cost something.

I'm a crane mechanic at a railyard and I have an assortment of Craftsman and Mac, mostly. Sockets are sockets, but ratchets and other various tools need to be top brand stuff in my field. SnapOn has some nice stuff but our truck guy is a jerk so no money from me. In all honesty, if you aren't going to use your tools professionally, anything with a lifetime warranty is perfect. Don't spend a lot of money for SnapOn if you will only use them once amonth. Waste of money.

You can order Snap-On online.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Klein tools

Not all are USA-made anymore . Most of their screwsticks are, but the 11-in-1's and some other Klein-labeled tools are made overseas.

OP, Cooper tools (the owner of Crescent, Nickelson files, Etc) used to all be made in USA.  A lot of times, if you move all the new stock and look towards the back of the rack you'll see the older packaging, with the "Made in theUSA" on it. I've picked up several USA-made files and Crescent wrenches this way.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Channel-Locks are great, and I have some Estwing hammers and pry-bars that have lasted years of use. Older Crescent wrenches were US made, but now they are Chinese junk.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I prefer USA made tools but if a German, Swiss or other European made tool is better quality I will buy it.

Just because it is made in the US doesn't mean it is the best.

Colt is just one tier above Hesse on the scale and both of them do the same job and neither of them are the best.

Is the Lifetime Warranty going to be good when the company goes out of business and a new company buys it?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S-K Tools are US made.

I've got a ton of SK stuff and I really like it.    

If you have any auctions in your area you can pick up tools for really cheap. There is a guy around who goes to all the auctions and will give ~$2 for a Snap-on wench and then sell it in his flea market stand for $5.
I would buy them all for $5 each

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love my Knipex pliers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Didn't read all the replies, so I apologize if this was said already...

Craftsman's Industrial Line is still completely made in the good ole USA.

I just found out about this about a month ago, wasn't aware they had an industrial line.  Just FYI for anyone that's interested.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:23:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Klein tools

Not all are USA-made anymore . Most of their screwsticks are, but the 11-in-1's and some other Klein-labeled tools are made overseas.

OP, Cooper tools (the owner of Crescent, Nickelson files, Etc) used to all be made in USA.  A lot of times, if you move all the new stock and look towards the back of the rack you'll see the older packaging, with the "Made in theUSA" on it. I've picked up several USA-made files and Crescent wrenches this way.

Nicholson is now complete shit.  They don't make a damn thing worth purchasing.  The last two saw files I used chipped within 3 inches of starting filing.  

The only decent files left are Bahco (good luck finding those here) and Grobet.  I have purchased a bunch of NOS Nicholson files off eBay, and they were as good as ever.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Proto?
I buy Snap-on or proto.. made in USA or not Proto is the shit.

I've recently been on a Proto kick.  I LOVE the wrenches I've gotten recently.  I want to try the wright drive wrenches though too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Everyone wants made in the US until they are asked to pay for it...chinese made camp axe...9.99....US one...58.99...
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#33]
J M Williams
Utica

FWIW
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lie-Nielsen.  

Bring your wallet.  

Yeah, but they're wonderful when you're using them and erotic sculpture when you're not.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I just found out about this about a month ago, wasn't aware they had an industrial line.  Just FYI for anyone that's interested.

Craftsman, within the last 10-15 years, was shit before it moved to China. I guess its good to see they still put out shit made here though.

My company uses Craftsman almost exclusively, and they go back to warranty A LOT. Especially ratchets. Hence why I buy my own tools. Screwdrivers round off or chip, wrenches do okay, but the ratchets are by far the worst. Gears are shit quality. The spring detent's are also horrible. After some time, they wont even hold sockets on. These "tools" are marked "Forged in USA" lol.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:26:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lie-Nielsen.  

Bring your wallet.  

Yeah, but they're wonderful when you're using them and erotic sculpture when you're not.

Now THIS is pure sex:  http://www.sauerandsteiner.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2319

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Never, never, never scimp on traditional hand tool: sockets, wrenches, rachets, torque wrenches.

They are like Optics: buy once, cry once!!!

You can sometimes get by with Harbor Freight stuff like pullers, spring compressors, etc. But, you have to remember to really grease the threads on the cheaper pullers / compressors.

Plus you can take them apart and make a variety of gear installers on the fly with a bearing and washers. Example: LS1 damper installer from Harbor freight strut spring compressor bolts.

Cowpunk

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lie-Nielsen.  

Bring your wallet.  

Bridge City Tools

Forest City Tool

Crick Level Co.

L.S. Starrett

I have a few old BCT items, but the last time I looked at their web site it was mostly anodized gadgetry, ridiculously expensive artsy planes, and the like.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Now THIS is pure sex:  http://www.sauerandsteiner.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2319

That's also a little artsy for me.  I'm just a simple, old fashioned, country girl.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I like to buy tools that do the job more than just once

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#40]
tag
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Channel Lock

Just ordered some plain slip joint pliers this morning as not a single hardware store around here carries such an odd beast.

I stock up on Channel Lock tools when my local variety store has there "buy one get one free" sale...My tool box in the garage is turning blue...
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

you get what you pay for. i don't like getting hurt when tools break at the worst possible moment. buy once cry once!

THIS THREAD IS FAPABLE!!!

bad ax site is bad ass!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Channel locks are great quality, great price too.

I love my Snap-on stuff even though its outrageously expensive but when the truck pulls in the parking lot its like a moth to a flame and then i'm short rent money.
Mac makes some nice tools but no where near Snap quality..matco and mac are both offshore.

If you're lookin for deals on US made tools..ebay and garage sales.

Since we're on the topic I bought one of these a few months ago and I haven't stopped using it since..made by Mayhew in France.

I picked up that hose clamp tool as well, it looks like France has cheapened on their production standards as well, a co worker has a set he picked up about 4 years ago and they are noticeably more robust than my new pair.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
[
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's also a little artsy for me.  I'm just a simple, old fashioned, country girl.  

In person it's actually bad ass, and not quite so artsy-fartsy.  Using it is like what I imagine woodworking in Heaven to be like.  Too bad they're $7k+.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Harry J. Epstein

I like shopping for tools at Epstein. Not everything is made in the US but they make it very easy to see what is or isn't.

That looks like a cool store. Looks like good prices, and good stuff!

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

bad ax site is bad ass!!!

Mark's a cool dude, and hands down the best saw filer on the planet.  Pretty sure he wouldn't say that, but he is.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[
Quoted:
Quoted:

In person it's actually bad ass, and not quite so artsy-fartsy.  Using it is like what I imagine woodworking in Heaven to be like.  Too bad they're $7k+.  

Hate to admit it, but I'm not a $7000 woodworker.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hate to admit it, but I'm not a $7000 woodworker.  

Me either.  Yet.  

But I'm not a $400,000 driver, either, and I'd drive the shit out of a Lamborghini.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This.

Sold at places like Grainger. Put a CMan Industrial wrench next to a SnapOn and you cannot tell the difference.

Find them at Sears Outlet stores for best deals. Can also order online.

http://www.searsoutlet.com
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

S-K Tools are US made.

I've got a ton of SK stuff and I really like it.    

If you have any auctions in your area you can pick up tools for really cheap. There is a guy around who goes to all the auctions and will give ~$2 for a Snap-on wench and then sell it in his flea market stand for $5.
I would buy them all for $5 each

My dad did that to the guy a time or two and he got wise. I guess he filled a pickup bed with wrenches literally 1/4 of the way up once for around $300. He just took a picture of the bed, threw it on Ebay, listed a few of the wrenches, and charged the guy actual shipping. He made 2K off of it.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top