BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

But after reading a lot of the posts on here it seems like more and more people want to be cops rather than ARE cops.  Come on, let the police do their jobs.  If you want his job then go apply.  Otherwise golive your life and stopworrying about others..

NOBODY WANTS to be a cop. Its the stupid and the power trippers or the kids that got beat up in school that are forced to be cops because they lack skill, resources, intelligence and self esteem. It’s a very simple formula that has been subjected to much scrutiny and proven to be dead on. You pretty much have to be a social loser to want to be a cop.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't want this to be a cop bashing thread.   It's just that if you're going to tell us how many tickets you gave out to people talking on cell phones don't rub it in our face and drive down the street holding the phone to your ear.

I think the law is stupid.  If a cop sees someone driving eratically while talking on a cell phone by all means pull them over and give them a ticket.  Most of us can safely talk and drive, why should we be punished.  Thats like passing laws to restrict the ownership of firearms by law abiding citizens because criminals missuse them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd do it, dont expect anything to happen.  I drop dimes on the local cops breaking laws pretty often

Why is it I don't think you are kiddingabout this..

Sad....

He said if they are breaking laws...would you rather let law breakers get away with it?

He'd rather the police be left alone.

If the police break the law fine call it in if it makes you feel better.

But after reading a lot of the posts on here it seems like more and more people want to be cops rather than ARE cops.  Come on, let the police do their jobs.  If you want his job then go apply.  Otherwise golive your life and stopworrying about others..

when I see the local "road rage" mustang flying down a 40mph road at at least 65 just to turn into the station, I complain, that's bullshit.  when the afforementioned mustang pulls up next to my car at a stop light and the cop rolls down the window, looks at me and revs his engine, I call and complain.  when I get tailgated and followed by police cruisers(I make sure to go out of my way to make sure they are in fact following me) I complain.  

is there a problem with letting the agency know that their cops are screwing up?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOBODY WANTS to be a cop. Its the stupid and the power trippers or the kids that got beat up in school that are forced to be cops because they lack skill, resources, intelligence and self esteem. It’s a very simple formula that has been subjected to much scrutiny and proven to be dead on. You pretty much have to be a social loser to want to be a cop.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI

As a general rule most every cop I know including myself hates talking on the phone while working on the road. 80% of phone time I do while working is LE involded, hence a working call.

GET A LIFE & MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Oh puh-leeze. About as far from the truth as any post here ever is.Must be some of you think that constant repetition will make it true.

Quoted:
So then there should be an exception for all work related phone calls , right????????

Actually, if you were calling my dispatcher, under the state law you'd have an exemption too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's so funny about this is that not only does he beleive it, but that one paragraph brought up during the state mandated psych review would GUARANTEE that the state would never grant him a peace officer certification.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd do it, dont expect anything to happen.  I drop dimes on the local cops breaking laws pretty often

Why is it I don't think you are kiddingabout this..

Sad....

He said if they are breaking laws...would you rather let law breakers get away with it?

He'd rather the police be left alone.

If the police break the law fine call it in if it makes you feel better.

Do their jobs?

how about they start by living by the same law we have to.
That would be too much to ask from those who are above the laws they are supposed to enforce.

some of them are no better than hoods with a badge.

If a cop talking o his cell phone upsets you this much.. You have bigger things to worry about

No, what bothers me is the "the law doesn't apply" to officers .

you get preferential treatment, of course you'll see nothing wrong with it.

just as the nazis didn't.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
FYI

As a general rule most every cop I know including myself hates talking on the phone while working on the road. 80% of phone time I do while working is LE involded, hence a working call.

ALL of my cell use is work related.

80% is LE involved, so do you pull over or use a hands free for the other 20% ?

LIVE BY THE RULES THE REST OF US HAVE TO!

you are my business bud, we pay your salary. another small detail you JBTs forget in your power trip.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI

you are my business bud, we pay your salary. another small detail you JBTs forget in your power trip.

From Virginia??  I had no idea my city taxed you too.  I'll tell you what.  PM me a mailing address and I'll refund your nickel out of my own pocket.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI

From Virginia??  I had no idea my city taxed you too.  I'll tell you what.  PM me a mailing address and I'll refund your nickel out of my own pocket.

It isn't just in your state, and IIRC every agency gets some off the federal tit. yours included I'd betcha.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Wow, thats original.

Why dont you see about getting me a raise?

Hell, I pay taxes, so that means Im self employed....

See, we can be just as cheesy with the same bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally, (and I know how unpopular this view is) I think there is waaaaaaay to much bullshit surrounding the use of cell phones while driving. Laws banning their use without a hands-free device are nothing more than feel-good B.S. and they accomplish nothing.

At least SOMBODY is exempt (or feels they should be) from a stupid law. More power to them. As for ticketing other drivers for violating crap like this...well...I'd rather they didn't.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#14]
All I have to say on the matter is that a police officer talking on the phone, whether or not it is legal in the state is less of a threat to the public well being than him typing/IMing on the in-cruiser laptop (which I highly doubt is illegal).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Wow, thats original.

Why dont you see about getting me a raise?
Hell, I pay taxes, so that means Im self employed....

See, we can be just as cheesy with the same bullshit.

earn it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI

It isn't just in your state, and IIRC every agency gets some off the federal tit. yours included I'd betcha.

I offered to refund your nickel,  even considering the high probability that YOUR taxes went to buy paperclips for NOAA on the 2nd of December.

You going to take me up on the offer or just bitch as usual?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI

I offered to refund your nickel,  even considering the high probability that YOUR taxes went to buy paperclips for NOAA on the 2nd of December.

shove your troll in a dark place john.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI

So, you chose "bitch as usual".  Not surprising.  I was even going to donate whatever postage is these days.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI

So, you chose "bitch as usual".  Not surprising.  I was even going to donate whatever postage is these days.

Nope, I sent a few letters to those in charge of these type shit laws for the JBT thank you very much. hope it helps but most likely it is some schmuck like you who gets the letters.

ETA: I'll bow out of the pissing/troll contest you so cherish. you just aren't worthy of my time.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI

Nope, I sent a few letters to those in charge of these type shit laws for the JBT thank you very much. hope it helps but most likely it is some schmuck like you who gets the letters.

ETA: I'll bow out of the pissing/troll contest you so cherish. you just aren't worthy of my time.

Translation:

"I made a dumb-ass comment, have been called on it, and are hitting the "eject" button."
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is true.  Can't catch violators without speeding ourselves.  Also cell phones have become a big part of doing our job.  Backup commo in areas where the radios system is bad, doing followup on cases,getting info firsthand without the the delay of going through dispatchers on in progress calls.

With a little thought, most can see how there is no real difference between a cop on the radio or a cell phone as long as it is work related (as in our policy).  It makes our responses more informed (therefore safer) and quicker.

For those who refuse to apply a little thought...get over it.  

+1 If our guys refused to use their cell phones with all the shit we give them to deal with every day, people would have a Goddamn fit.

I miss the good ole days when they had to relay all the juicy info over the radio, listening to the scanner was actually fun and entertaining. Then when they all got cell phones they just come on the radio and say they are going to make a call Ban cell phones for cops so I can hear all the good info I say
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Saddest part of this whole paragraph is the fact that it was written on someone's troll account. So either they are just trying to stir the pot or they really feel this way and have to hide behind a troll account.

Someone didn't like their ride along I think... poor lil guy

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Personally, (and I know how unpopular this view is) I think there is waaaaaaay to much bullshit surrounding the use of cell phones while driving. Laws banning their use without a hands-free device are nothing more than feel-good B.S. and they accomplish nothing.

At least SOMBODY is exempt (or feels they should be) from a stupid law. More power to them. As for ticketing other drivers for violating crap like this...well...I'd rather they didn't.

+1

If someone is driving recklessly while talking on a cellphone, how about we just ticket them for reckless driving instead of passing another BS law that everybody will ignore?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI

Translation:

"I made a dumb-ass comment, have been called on it, and are hitting the "eject" button."

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYeah, that's not it
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
its five O
or 5.0

not 50

:)

but the laws are just for you and me/...  < not for the almighty JBTs>

I don't know where you live but many agencies in Texas have gone to all-cell dispatching, but then you seem obviously well informed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

its funny how you people hate cops till your getting your ass beat down and they are the first ones you call..... go ahead flame away!!!

How many arfcom members have gotten beat down? And how many of those were saved by cops?

How many have gotten a cell phone ticket, and how many of them were blonde rollerskaters?  

How many bashers are actually NAACP lawyers in drag?

How many JBTs on here have had 5 days of unpaid suspension?

Not all in conjunction.

How many hours of OT and/or off-duty work to you have to do to make ends meet (my wife's a teacher)?  I usually work 12-20 a week.  Just curious.  Maybe I don't manage my money well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What does THAT have to do with the topic?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe they should create a cell phone driving permit test. If you can pass it then your allowed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
... can probrobly justify it by saying it was work related.

Prolly was work related.  Dispatch tells me to call dispatch, or the Sgt, or watch commander, or prior victims /informants several times a shift.  They should be paying my cell phone bill or issue me one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's my latest internet stalker.  He picked it up off of the  "black officer vs cute white chick" thread.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's my latest internet stalker.  He picked it up off of the  "black officer vs cute white chick" thread.

I missed that one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I missed that one.

No reason to go look for it,  same stuff as usual.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
No reason to go look for it,  same stuff as usual.

De ja vu, eh? Too bad.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#35]
LOL

Not to sound condescending but why do these laws surprise any of you? There are always exemptions for police or other government entities when these kinds of laws are written. Read up on gun laws and it'll become apparent that most specifically exempt law enforcement. The motherfuckers who write the laws aren't stupid, they know that if law enforcement isn't exempted, they can't run ads boasting about how "even the police support [insert new freedom raping law]..." for the idiots to gobble up and feel good about.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI

Riiiight, "pull over" huh? Except if its related to responding to your house or your place of business. You're basically clueless.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
This is true.  Can't catch violators without speeding ourselves.  Also cell phones have become a big part of doing our job.  Backup commo in areas where the radios system is bad, doing followup on cases,getting info firsthand without the the delay of going through dispatchers on in progress calls.

With a little thought, most can see how there is no real difference between a cop on the radio or a cell phone as long as it is work related (as in our policy).  It makes our responses more informed (therefore safer) and quicker.

So what's the law about?  Safety on the roads I presume.  Why are cops safer than anybody else?  Do you make the same exception for doctors rushing to the hospital to get a more informed, and therefore safer, response to save a life?  What the hell if it is work related?  That doesn't justify distracting the driver, whether he be "civilian" or LEO, the issue is that the roads are less safe with drivers on cell phones.  The nature/substance of the call shouldn't be a factor for anyone, even cops.  For those who refuse to apply a little thought and see the issue for what it is, and that it has nothing to do with WHO is on the phone or WHY, get over it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what's the law about?  Safety on the roads I presume.  Why are cops safer than anybody else?  Do you make the same exception for doctors rushing to the hospital to get a more informed, and therefore safer, response to save a life?  What the hell if it is work related?  That doesn't justify distracting the driver, whether he be "civilian" or LEO, the issue is that the roads are less safe with drivers on cell phones.  The nature/substance of the call shouldn't be a factor for anyone, even cops.  For those who refuse to apply a little thought and see the issue for what it is, and that it has nothing to do with WHO is on the phone or WHY, get over it.

Not a police officer, or even someone with a cell phone.  but I'm pretty sure communication is a necesary part of the job description.   Therefore, an exemption.   Not too hard to figure out,  even my 5 year old got it the first time around
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#40]
More rules than I can remember or figure out, so fuck it, keep my eyes peeled. Trust No One.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#41]
So should all jobs with "communication" in the job description get an exemption?  What's the difference between civilian communication in a livesaving, non LEO  job and an LEO?  Can your five year old answer that?  NOBOBDY should be above the law.  Especially those enforcing it.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
So should all jobs with "communication" in the job description get an exemption?  What's the difference between civilian communication in a livesaving, non LEO  job and an LEO?  Can your five year old answer that?  NOBOBDY should be above the law.  Especially those enforcing it.  

If I read the law right,  (google has it, haven't read it have you?) they're covered too.  There is an exemption for 911 calls.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
its five O
or 5.0

not 50

:)

but the laws are just for you and me/...  < not for the almighty JBTs>

I don't know where you live but many agencies in Texas have gone to all-cell dispatching, but then you seem obviously well informed.

Not very smart. What will they use for comms when the cell network goes down. Smoke signals?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Not very smart. What will they use for comms when the cell network goes down. Smoke signals?

Cant be any worse than standard comm systems that have 60-70 % coverage of the patrol areas on a good day.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top