Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The next door neighbor's guard chihuahua bits my ankles every time I go over, guess it's time to call and make a report.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

New Years Eve the family and I were visiting my sister and her family.  They have 3 dogs.  Two are very friendly and one is a "guard dog".  They all run loose and the "guard dog" has always worried me.  He bit my leg once when I happened to walk past him.  I have always kept GSD's and am not afraid of dogs.  My sons, 4 & 6, are also accustomed to big dogs and know to stay out of their face.  Anyway my BIL and I were out calling coyotes most of the afternoon.  When we got back I could see something was wrong by the look on my wife's face.  She told me my son was attacked by the "guard dog" but he was OK.  Apparently my son accidently stepped on his foot and the dog jumped him.  He took my 6 yr old to the ground and bit his head, leaving about an 1-1/2 gash on the back of his head.  Luckily my nephew was there to pull the dog away before he could get a second grip.  As anyone who has ever been around a head wound knows, blood was everywhere.  My blood soaked tearful son asked my wife if he was going to die.  My sister being a nurse immediately sanitiized and glued the gash together.  She cleaned him up and bandaged his head.  When I learned of what happened my first thought was of my son's welfare, my second was of this dog's pending death.  My policy is to down any dog that can't be trusted especially if they attack someone.  I can't afford to trust my small sons around untrustworthy animals.  Well, I kept my tongue for the most part.  I expressed my strong opinion but didn't push it.  My sister is very close to me and we have a tight family.  She knows the dog would be dead if I were present at the time of the attack, either by my hands, knife, or G19.  I told her I wanted him dead.  I told her someday it's unpredictable behavior would cost her a lawsuit or worse a child.  I told her we would not visit again while the dog was there.  I promised my son he would never see the dog again and I'm sorry I wasn't there to protect him.  The dog still lives.

First, I'm glad your son is OK.

Second, but if you knew that the dog was dangerous and "worried you" why did you allow your son to be close to that dog?

While I might understand where you were coming from with this comment. I think it was out of line.

The man has enough on his mind right now... Jeez.

GD never fails to (dis)please...

No, its the reason this dog was still around to attack the child.  All the adults seem to be well aware that this dog will bite people, yet there it is, hanging around the kids.

That dog either needs to get put on permanent guard duty and get whisked away when anyone who isn't supposed to get bit is around, or put down.  Though at this point, I would say the owner does not have the ability to control it, so he should get rid of it.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Time to use the worthless mutt as coyote bait.   Stake it's ass down and begin calling, the yotes will come from far and wide to rip it's body to shreds.  Once they've succeeded in ending the worthless child attackers life you'll have no problem bagging some nice pelts.  Dogs that attack children need to be exterminated.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This thread is filled with so much stupid, Obama is gonna come in here and sign off on it.  

Every adult there is at fault.  Owning a powerful dog has responsibilities.  These were neglected in this situation.  Same goes for being a parent.  

I say the parent and the owner should be put down.  

This. Its obviously the dogs house and he lets your sister live there. If my dogs were to hurt one of my hellion nephews, its punishment would be so quick and harsh that the nephews and their parents would actually feel bad for it. Since my dogs and I have already have that understanding, if they are getting funky all I have to do is look at them and problem solved. What is even better, I put my dogs outside when they come over to protect them (the dogs) from the kids. Your sister does not have control and neither do you. If you see a rattlesnake on the ground would you let your kids play with it? No, and that snake hasn't bit you, but this dog has, so why the fuck would you let your kid be anywhere near this animal? Shame on your sister for letting this dog be around your kids knowing that it has problems in the past.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
WTF you damn animal excuse fucktards?

The guard dog was NOT doing his job and is a danger and liability.  If a dog cannot recognize a child family member from a threat, he is no guard dog and not wise to keep around.  If you don't like doggie death sentence, removing dog from home to a more suitable environment is fine also.  My kids definitely would not be back though.

So how does the BIL and sister view this matter?  Depending on their reaction, my course would be anywhere from never visiting their residence and banning their dog from my residence to at worse, filing suit on their home owners for damages to child.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#7]
If you wanted the dog dead, you should have done it yourself, immediately.

Too late now. Just don't go back until the dog is gone. It's pretty simple, really.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Time to use the worthless mutt as coyote bait.   Stake it's ass down and begin calling, the yotes will come from far and wide to rip it's body to shreds.  Once they've succeeded in ending the worthless child attackers life you'll have no problem bagging some nice pelts.  Dogs that attack children need to be exterminated.

That's pretty fucked up, man,

I agree that the dog should be put down, but there is no point in torturing it before it dies.  Unless you're some sick, sadistic person that likes to watch animals suffer?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't understand why the majority of respondents are focused on this dog.

The most egregious failures represented here are 1) the parental failure to take precautions to prevent the incident in the first place and 2) the parental failure to seek appropriate medical care for the child after the incident.

This is not a thread about a bad dog.  This is a thread about a bad something else.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Read it twice, still not sure why you didn't shoot the dog while you were there?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
May we ask the breed of this "guard dog"?

Amish
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that puppy deserves a delicious bowl of antifreeze.

You wouldn't be the first jackass that got his account and a thread locked for posting that crap.
Either take care of bad dogs like a man, or keep your trap shut.
ETA:  I see from the rest of your comments that you're spineless and unwilling to back up what you have to say.  You discredit the members of this site.  Get out.

Lock it up then super hero. Or possibly you don't know when someone is being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I dont see why people keep dogs like that around. And dont take this the wrong way...but its usually people who dont have much to "guard" anyways that feel the need to keep the really agressive hair trigger ones around.

I would not go back untill the dog is gone. End of story.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can't understand why the majority of respondents are focused on this dog.

The most egregious failures represented here are 1) the parental failure to take precautions to prevent the incident in the first place and 2) the parental failure to seek appropriate medical care for the child after the incident.

This is not a thread about a bad dog.  This is a thread about a bad something else.

My sister being a nurse immediately sanitiized and glued the gash together

I have no problem with the medical care.

I personally would want to put down the dog, but I would be understand if the owners only decided to confine the dog when others are around.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
New Years Eve the family and I were visiting my sister and her family.  They have 3 dogs.  Two are very friendly and one is a "guard dog".  They all run loose and the "guard dog" has always worried me.  He bit my leg once when I happened to walk past him.  I have always kept GSD's and am not afraid of dogs.  My sons, 4 & 6, are also accustomed to big dogs and know to stay out of their face.  Anyway my BIL and I were out calling coyotes most of the afternoon.  When we got back I could see something was wrong by the look on my wife's face.  She told me my son was attacked by the "guard dog" but he was OK.  Apparently my son accidently stepped on his foot and the dog jumped him.  He took my 6 yr old to the ground and bit his head, leaving about an 1-1/2 gash on the back of his head.  Luckily my nephew was there to pull the dog away before he could get a second grip.  As anyone who has ever been around a head wound knows, blood was everywhere.  My blood soaked tearful son asked my wife if he was going to die.  My sister being a nurse immediately sanitiized and glued the gash together.  She cleaned him up and bandaged his head.  When I learned of what happened my first thought was of my son's welfare, my second was of this dog's pending death.  My policy is to down any dog that can't be trusted especially if they attack someone.  I can't afford to trust my small sons around untrustworthy animals.  Well, I kept my tongue for the most part.  I expressed my strong opinion but didn't push it.  My sister is very close to me and we have a tight family.  She knows the dog would be dead if I were present at the time of the attack, either by my hands, knife, or G19.  I told her I wanted him dead.  I told her someday it's unpredictable behavior would cost her a lawsuit or worse a child.  I told her we would not visit again while the dog was there.  I promised my son he would never see the dog again and I'm sorry I wasn't there to protect him.  The dog still lives.

Short of taking it out in her yard and killing it immediately, this is the right answer.  Depending on the response, they wouldn't be visiting me either until its dead and I have proof.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

She probably glued all kinds of fun shit into that wound and I'm pretty sure nurses cannot prescribe antibiotics.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#17]
bye bye doggie
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

She probably glued all kinds of fun shit into that wound and I'm pretty sure nurses cannot prescribe antibiotics.

Good point.  Forgot about dog bites getting infected fairly often.  Who knows, maybe they had some around the house.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#19]
The problem originally shouldn't have been with the dog, but poor control.  I have currently a Malinois, have had three Dobes, and two German Shepherds.  Of these the Malinois, (which is 5 mo. old), one German Shepherd and my first Doberman had some serious protective instinct.  It is the owner's responsibility to have it under control, the dog just behaves as he has been taught (or allowed to get away with).   I have been going to great lengths to get my pup acclimated to all the family members, kids, etc, so as to eliminate problems later.  That said, any large dog shouldn't be left alone with little kids, hell they can hurt kids bad just in their normal play!  My dogs are under my control and are my responsibility.  Unfortunately fixing/repairing the behavior of the dog is going to be tough, like anything else involving animals, easier to train properly than to fix problem behavior, this is true for dogs, horses, and children too.  Personally I don't agree with killing the dog, but obviously the owners are not capable of handling the dog, so they need to hand him over to someone who can take control.... and who doesn't have young children around.

The end result is that the dog can be salvaged, I wouldn't kill the dog for the mistakes of its owners, no more than I would kill a horse that threw someone off and broke their back, they just need a firm hand and training.  These more protective/highly driven dog breeds are not for everyone, you have to be stronger willed than the dog, sometimes a little rougher than you would like to be even, but it pays off in the long run, since these breeds also make the most loyal fantastic companions.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No quandary at all.  No kids at the sister's house until the dog takes a dirt nap.

Troof.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a dog that was fine around children.

Except small children. I think he considered them to be varmints until he found out otherwise. When he saw a toddler toddling along his hair would stand up and he would growl.

We alway kept him on a leash around strange little ones and when we took walks I asked the neighborhood yoots not to pet him. Never had a problem, I was just being careful. He was fine around my two daughters.

Since the OP had previous proof the "guard dog" was a potential problem he should have taken steps to keep it separated from his children. If the dog will be continuously exposed to children it should go somewhere else.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#22]
This is a hard one......

As I see it the "Guard Dog" lacks proper training and handling.

I see a lot of knee jerk reaction to put it down,
but I wonder how many have really worked with dogs.

The first thing you must realize is They are Animals First and foremost

You need to realize they have instincts, and sometimes they get grouchy

I had an Great Mutt who we rescued from the pound who loved everybody
except for my dumb ass Sister who grabbed his ears and was pulling his
head around and another brother in law who was not very nice to dogs.

They they wondered why he tried to bite them.

My dad had His dog bite him why... because he tried to snatch
a chicken bone from the dog so the dog would not choke.

Dad did not put down the dog (and it was a great dog)
Dad knew it was just a dog acting on instinct.

We have spent a lot of time with my dog and I am still very cautious with
her around non-family members (people who do not live in my home).

Recently my son grabbed her and pulled a chicken bone out of
her mouth that she snuck out of the trash (that was a first for her)
I was actually surprised she gave it up without complaint.

As I see it the dog needs to be trained or given to someone who can handle it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

May we ask the breed of this "guard dog"?

Amish

I knew it.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#24]
The dog is a GSD mix.  My son's gash is actually healing nicely although he will have a decent scar.  We got to looking later and found another cut about 6" from the gash.  Both are on back of his head so his hair should hide them well enough.  Everytime I think about what happened I have to stop myself from going into a dog-killing rage.  Our rooster nearly make his maker when he spooked me out of a trance the other day.  I was standing outside the pen thinking about it and the idiot jumped up on the wire.  This weekend we are traveling to my folk's house and my sis will be there.  I'm hoping to keep my mouth shut to avoid ruining my Mom's day.  My Dad will probably break the silence though since he isn't happy either.  I call it a quandary because I love my son and want to do what is right for him.  I also worry about my niece and nephews.  Keeping the peace with my sis is important to my Mom so I don't know how to proceed without starting a war.   If I ever see that dog again it is dead, and she already knows this.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, I'm glad your son is OK.

Second, but if you knew that the dog was dangerous and "worried you" why did you allow your son to be close to that dog?

I wasn't there.  Kids were playing inside when I left to call coyotes.  I would blame my wife but that solves nothing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sounds like your sister is a typical dog owner, all love and no control.
I bet the mean dog was there first and she thought "I know, I'll get more dogs, that always makes it better".

What does your sister's husband say about all of this?

He has been silent.  We are hunting buds and pretty close.  I can only assume he is hoping the problem will go away.  I'm also perplexed about this and know it will eventually come out between us again.  I'm stuck between protecting my boy after the fact and losing a close family member.  I wish it never happened.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So you didn't take your son to the hospital for a 1 1/2" gash inflicted by dog mouth?  

What.  Thee.  Fuck.

Again I wasn't there.  I didn't arrive until a few hours later.  My sis lives 30 miles from a hospital.  One of the first questions I asked was why he wasn't taken in for stitches.  My sister said she just reacted to stop the bleeding and seal the wound.  I have to assume she thought of my son first and not her liabilty.  To be honest I did the same thing this summer to my other son when his brother opened his head with a rock.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I dont see why people keep dogs like that around. And dont take this the wrong way...but its usually people who dont have much to "guard" anyways that feel the need to keep the really agressive hair trigger ones around.

I would not go back untill the dog is gone. End of story.

They live on an 80 acre farm.  I call it a "guard dog" because they have mentioned his expertise in keeping out strangers and vermin.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How hard is it for people to grasp the concept that some dogs bite? Why would you let your kids
near a dog thats not yours?

My dog bites, He will bite you, your kid, the mailman or any other person who invades his space.
Thats his job. Its why I have him its also the reason I keep him in his room when I have people
at the house.

This exactly, I own three dogs, one is as you've described. She has bitten before and cannot be trusted around anyone other than my wife and I. That is why she is locked up whenever guests are present. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for your son, but the dog warned you, precautions should have been taken. As for what to do now, he's your child, I have no idea how it feels to be in your position.
ETA: What I was trying to say in the the last sentence is whatever action you decide to take would be justified, in my opinion. If it were me, I would wait until the rage subsided before making a decision.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I raise coonhounds.  Any aggression(to the point of biting) towards me or any other human.....the hound does not get a second chance = bullet to the head.  I dont tolerate aggression between my hounds, they swiftly get taught manners.

As far as the dog in question....2nd time (known) biting a human.....this dog sill not get any better with age, he has lived, by his choice, his life expetancy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top