Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#1]
We lifted Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday at 7am after games in high school. Saturday mornings after games was 6-8 hours of lifting/running/stretching, and then a couple of hours of film on next weeks opponent. That is what it took to compete at the highest level of big time Texas high school football. I can only imagine it's the bare minimum in college, much less the NFL.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool

Any experiences that you feel comfortable sharing would be awesome.

oh man, where would you start?  there's so much.  I'll say this: bruce smith is a *fast* mother.  If he would have ever been sober at practice,  you'd never touch him. It was literally two weeks before I even got a hand on him.  Literally. Never even touched him.

after two weeks I finally got a hand on his back and ran him slightly past the QB,  still sacked him but it took longer.  I was all dejected but the vets kept telling me it was OK.

finally a few days later they went A on A (first team against first not second against first).  Smith picked up fina and tossed him like a doll and ate the qb for lunch.  i felt a lot better.  that guy, is inhuman.  nobody should be that fast at that size.

Nice.

Any funny moments during games?

we wound up burning two timeouts and getting a delay of game and I think an offsides out of that.  I'm sure we ran for it later but it was totally worth it.   I have never heard or seen something so bad in my life. The thought of having to wipe some 360 pound guys ass,  while he's all taped up and has a case of the runs,   during the football game when he's at his sweatiest,  stinkiest peak would be just too much.  

we didn't see too much of ol' steve, the trainer after that. He mostly avoided us and if he saw us he'd look away quickly, and sometimes blush.  I"m pretty sure he bailed on the PT program after that, and probably went into accounting or something as far from stinky, sweaty jock ass that he had to wipe as possible.  At least I hope so.

that was by far the funniest thing that ever happened in a game. There are thousands of stories, but that one was  one of the funniest things that ever happened.

Ryan's Steakhouse breakfast?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks for these stories.  As a life-long fan of the NFL, I really enjoy hearing from somebody who played.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh man, where would you start?  there's so much.

Thanks for these stories.  As a life-long fan of the NFL, I really enjoy hearing from somebody who played.

Same here.Thanks again man.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I may have overestimated my level of "cut". By cut I mean I could see one ab. Maybe two  but far less fat than I traditionally carry haha.  I'm chubby but abnormally strong and fast.  It  was my secret weapon. For whatever reason I "look slow". People tell me that over and over again.  One scout says it's cause I move fluidly.  He says on film you always look like you can't get out there.  But then you are always there. When they clocked me I ran a 5.01 40 at 335 with a 35" vertical.

at 290 I ran a 4.75 and had the second highest agility rating on my college team.  So I look slow but can move along fairly well.

I have the program scanned somewhere. It's ten years old now but shoot me an email and I'll try and dig it up.  it's a huge file though so may ahve to figure out how to send it to you. I ran it through a scanner some years back and scanned it into a huge file.  It's also highly confusing.  it's not a routine where you do the sme thing all the time.  

like on Mondays you do 65% max. then wed 80% max, then one day 50% max, then 95% then 40% etc.  lots and lots of that. The running is different too. IN college they just run your ass off.  25 indys (across field and back), or 10 reindeers (goal line to goal line hitting the ground with the whistle).

the pro workout was different.  Treadmill at 7-10 mph depending on the day. then 30 sec on, 30 off, then 45 on 30 off, then 10 on 45 off, then 60 on 90 off, etc. you are constantly jumping on and off the treadmill.

Oh and you should see the treadmills! they are these weird brown industrial looking things with a dial, a speed indicator, a button and a bar.  like nothing you've ever seen. I think they are built for horses or something. Literally.  Most industrial things I've ever seen. No swoopy plastic, water bottle holders, LED's nothing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

we blood tested but not for workout stuff. We got weighed, and they put us in this giant white egg thing naked and made us suck on this tube to check body fat. we did that weekly and tracked workout efficacy that way.

I'll tell you this: the guy running the workout program on that team knew what he was doing. I'm a traditional fatbody,  I came home about 8% body fat, cut all up and was stronger than ever, all while working out less than I ever had.  it was bizarre.  His program was very very efficient.

they also paid to feed us the best, cleanest food possible.

I'd love to see that workout routine!

I may have overestimated my level of "cut". By cut I mean I could see one ab. Maybe two  but far less fat than I traditionally carry haha.  I'm chubby but abnormally strong and fast.  It  was my secret weapon. For whatever reason I "look slow". People tell me that over and over again.  One scout says it's cause I move fluidly.  He says on film you always look like you can't get out there.  But then you are always there. When they clocked me I ran a 5.01 40 at 335 with a 35" vertical.

at 290 I ran a 4.75 and had the second highest agility rating on my college team.  So I look slow but can move along fairly well.

I have the program scanned somewhere. It's ten years old now but shoot me an email and I'll try and dig it up.  it's a huge file though so may ahve to figure out how to send it to you. I ran it through a scanner some years back and scanned it into a huge file.  It's also highly confusing.  it's not a routine where you do the sme thing all the time.  

like on Mondays you do 65% max. then wed 80% max, then one day 50% max, then 95% then 40% etc.  lots and lots of that. The running is different too. IN college they just run your ass off.  25 indys (across field and back), or 10 reindeers (goal line to goal line hitting the ground with the whistle).

the pro workout was different.  Treadmill at 7-10 mph depending on the day. then 30 sec on, 30 off, then 45 on 30 off, then 10 on 45 off, then 60 on 90 off, etc. you are constantly jumping on and off the treadmill.

Oh and you should see the treadmills! they are these weird brown industrial looking things with a dial, a speed indicator, a button and a bar.  like nothing you've ever seen. I think they are built for horses or something. Literally.  Most industrial things I've ever seen. No swoopy plastic, water bottle holders, LED's nothing.

I'll shoot you an email shortly.

With 335 lb men running on them at 10 mph, I'd imagine they'd need to be extra-heavy duty!  That's a bit different than the average overweight person walking at 2-3 mph

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We lifted Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday at 7am after games in high school. Saturday mornings after games was 6-8 hours of lifting/running/stretching, and then a couple of hours of film on next weeks opponent. That is what it took to compete at the highest level of big time Texas high school football. I can only imagine it's the bare minimum in college, much less the NFL.
View Quote

this is actually a problem.  6-8 hours of running lifting stretching post game is too much. Both in college and pro, the day after games was pretty light.  Light running, lots of stretching,  and then walkthroughs and *LOADS* of films.

too many high school coaches equate "work them to death" with "winning" and you wind up wearing your players down. Our high school coach was the same. The more running you did, the better you would be.  but it tears you down and wears you out.

in a high school season with 8-10 games,  that's doable, in a college season of 13-15 and a pro season of 15+, you'll kill all your players off with that routine.  the pro season is a war of attrition.  

the average weekly schedule in college was

Monday - Stretch, run 1.5 mile, walkthrough of the weeks offensive sets and film till 7
Tuesday - meetings/films, full contact practice, full lift, Films, dinner
Wednesday - Meetings/Film, Full Contact Practice, Full lift (alternate workout from Tuesday, top/bottom, front /back etc), Films, Dinner
Thursday - Films/meeting, Shoulder pads only, 1/2 'ish contact practice,  longer team portion to run plays,  light lift or bike, dinner
Friday - Films, Position testing (paper tests or walkthroughs in position groups),  team walkthrough, team dinner, bus/plane to hotel
Sat - Game
Sun - off but traditionally treatment and sometimes films

Pro
Monday - stretch, walkthrough of weeks plays, last game film review, next opponent film review, light lift
Tuesday - Off
Wednesday - Full Contact practice (shoulder pads only) Conditioning, Lift, Films,  Dinner
Thursday - Full Contact (SP only, Conditioning, Lift, Films, Dinner
Friday - Half contact/ Step through practice x2 (morniing and afternoon) Films and Lunch between, light conditioning, light lift but optional
Saturday - walkthroughs, films, last minute adjustments. 2x
Sunday  - game day

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

actually this would surprise you. there is a HUGE jump High School to College.  Honestly most high school players could not play pro.  (or they would). I ran AMOK in high school.  I was a defensive end and it was honestly like playing girls. I moved pipe my whole life, I could jerk a 4" pipe filled with water up to my shoulders, catch it mid air and carry it to the next drop point. All day long.

I could snatch a HS o lineman off his feet and literally toss him like a doll to get to the QB.    

College is the best of the best HS players. And they guys you thought were "great" in HS aren't stand outs.   I was a big stud in HS but just one of the boys in college.  

there really isn't a difference between college and pro as far as skill level goes.  the Best college players are the best NFL players. The difference is,  EVERYONE is that good.

In college one week you would have a beast at UCLA. then a week later a schlub at Colorado State. Or the DE would be a bear, the LB would be a douche.

in Pro, EVERYONE is that good. You can't count on a pansy.  Every single guy you hit is the best.

the main diff between college and pro then adds up to pure speed. Everyone is fast as hell,  everyone is very fast. that's the main difference between college and pro, speed.

the nice thing about the Pros is everyone is, professional. If you smash someone and fall on the ground, you get yelled at.  Everyone stays up. we never even wore leg pads at practice.

if you blocked someone square, they'd stop. Not fighting and clawing every play.  

there were no "all americans' trying to earn a spot cheap shotting you in practice. that part was awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's really crazy, is the difference in skill/ability/strength/speed there must be in the pros versus college versus highschool.

We had two guys on our highschool team that I would have sworn would be nfl superstars.  One was a lightning fast tailback who still has the state 100 meter dash record 20 years later. He was untouchable in highschool. He went to ucla and sat the bench.

The other was a freight train (but still fast) fullback who put the hurt on EVERYONE. He went to USC and sat the bench.

(we were 5A highschool with 3500 students in 10-12 grades)

actually this would surprise you. there is a HUGE jump High School to College.  Honestly most high school players could not play pro.  (or they would). I ran AMOK in high school.  I was a defensive end and it was honestly like playing girls. I moved pipe my whole life, I could jerk a 4" pipe filled with water up to my shoulders, catch it mid air and carry it to the next drop point. All day long.

I could snatch a HS o lineman off his feet and literally toss him like a doll to get to the QB.    

College is the best of the best HS players. And they guys you thought were "great" in HS aren't stand outs.   I was a big stud in HS but just one of the boys in college.  

there really isn't a difference between college and pro as far as skill level goes.  the Best college players are the best NFL players. The difference is,  EVERYONE is that good.

In college one week you would have a beast at UCLA. then a week later a schlub at Colorado State. Or the DE would be a bear, the LB would be a douche.

in Pro, EVERYONE is that good. You can't count on a pansy.  Every single guy you hit is the best.

the main diff between college and pro then adds up to pure speed. Everyone is fast as hell,  everyone is very fast. that's the main difference between college and pro, speed.

the nice thing about the Pros is everyone is, professional. If you smash someone and fall on the ground, you get yelled at.  Everyone stays up. we never even wore leg pads at practice.

if you blocked someone square, they'd stop. Not fighting and clawing every play.  

there were no "all americans' trying to earn a spot cheap shotting you in practice. that part was awesome.

Interesting stuff.
One of my sons was 5'11"/209 at 13, crazy strong and remarkably fast and agile for his size.
(LOL, years of splitting wood and tossing hay)

Last fall was his first season playing football, after 3 years of fairly intense BJJ.

Everything he does, he does full bore, and he had a very good first season.
He was usually one of the biggest kids on the field, but a few teams had some 13-14 YOs that were up to 6'3/275#, and he literally tossed and/or flatted most of them.
He claims the BJJ REALLY helped out of the field.

We've had a couple private HSs approach him, as well as the local public HS..

BUT, here's something I've noticed and discussed with a few coaches: when kids are BIG in 9th grade, seems they often stop growing earlier.
One coach told me, "If they are big and shaving when freshmen, they are typically about done. Give me a 6', 160# freshman who is just hitting puberty and he'll wind up a 6'5", 300# senior.

We do have a fair number  of folks in our family that are 6'5" or better and quite a few 5'10" Vikings, so genetics are there.
Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

too many high school coaches equate "work them to death" with "winning" and you wind up wearing your players down. Our high school coach was the same. The more running you did, the better you would be.  but it tears you down and wears you out.

View Quote

Seems like lots of younger kids' coaches do this, often pushing PT at the exclusion of skills.

"Man, we weren't even winded when they kicked our asses!!!"
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Pro

Monday - stretch, walkthrough of weeks plays, last game film review, next opponent film review, light lift

Tuesday - Off

Wednesday - Full Contact practice (shoulder pads only) Conditioning, Lift, Films,  Dinner

Friday - Half contact/ Step through practice x2 (morniing and afternoon) Films and Lunch between, light conditioning, light lift but optional

Sunday  - game day

View Quote

Who comes up with the gameplan for the next opponent, and when do they do that?  I mean, is each plan developed weeks ahead of time or in the week prior to the game?  If you're doing walkthroughs on a Monday, that implies that the gameplan was formulated prior to the previous game.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Big guys gotta lift hard always, or lose it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Crashburnrepeat, the Buffalo Fire Dept says hello and thanks for some great football. Those were the days.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Interesting stuff.
One of my sons was 5'11"/209 at 13, crazy strong and remarkably fast and agile for his size.
(LOL, years of splitting wood and tossing hay)

Last fall was his first season playing football, after 3 years of fairly intense BJJ.

Everything he does, he does full bore, and he had a very good first season.
He was usually one of the biggest kids on the field, but a few teams had some 13-14 YOs that were up to 6'3/275#, and he literally tossed and/or flatted most of them.
He claims the BJJ REALLY helped out of the field.

We've had a couple private HSs approach him, as well as the local public HS..

BUT, here's something I've noticed and discussed with a few coaches: when kids are BIG in 9th grade, seems they often stop growing earlier.
One coach told me, "If they are big and shaving when freshmen, they are typically about done. Give me a 6', 160# freshman who is just hitting puberty and he'll wind up a 6'5", 300# senior.

We do have a fair number  of folks in our family that are 6'5" or better and quite a few 5'10" Vikings, so genetics are there.
Thoughts?
View Quote

it's hard to say,  my experience is the same as your coaches. if they are big and shaving in 9th grade they're mostly done growing.  he's accurate if they are baby face and not growing yet they have a chance.  that's what we see in our kids coming through our HS program too.

a few years ago we found some of my physical papers from when i started football. My first year was 9th grade. I was 6'2" 190 lbs.   I graduated high school 6'4" and about 285. I graduated college at 6'5" and about 330.

My son plays college baseball and his friends were as you described, there were a couple beast in 9th grade, huge, starters etc.  one of the beasts was the second shortest kid at graduation.  My son Jake was 5'11' Most of his high school career. He graduated about 6'1".  He's now 6'7" ( still 190 lbs, scrawny little bitch lol). So it's hard to say.

I'd say if your boy is 13 and getting a beard, he's probably close to max height. If he's still babyface and soft, he's got some growing to do.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Crashburnrepeat, the Buffalo Fire Dept says hello and thanks for some great football. Those were the days.
View Quote

Thank you Sir. I miss Buffalo like mad. Not the snow,  not the hood rats, and not the cold, but the PEOPLE!  

Literally the best fans on the planet when I was there. No joke. That's some die hard fans in that area.  We'd get caught signing stuff for two hours after every summer camp practice in Fredonia. People'd come that far and sit in the hot sun for hours just to talk to a bunch of dumb, spoiled jocks.  Best people  on the planet.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Seems like lots of younger kids' coaches do this, often pushing PT at the exclusion of skills.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh man I can't even TELL you how true that was.  Our H.S. coach was a complete dumbass. One of his favorite sayings was "Who needs a plan if you are grinding their dicks in the dirt!!!"

I never even knew that that meant!  But what you said was spot on,  we'd lose a game by 30 points but literally not even breathing hard lol.

it made going to dances after the games pretty easy. the single way guys wouldn't even shower sometimes. hahaha.  

our high school team was lame.  there was only 2 of us over 200 lbs. lol. Our center was 165 lbs. they called us 'scrappy'. We'd literallly dress ANYONE who showed up early enough, just so it looked like our team was bigger.

We dressed a couple girls once just cause they wanted to.  One of them got her ass handed to her on the sideline by a receiver and a db overrunning the sidelines. that ended the great lets-let-the-girls-dress-it-makes-us-look-bigger experiment.

our football team could have been our cross country team and been competitive.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thank you Sir. I miss Buffalo like mad. Not the snow,  not the hood rats, and not the cold, but the PEOPLE!  

Literally the best fans on the planet when I was there. No joke. That's some die hard fans in that area.  We'd get caught signing stuff for two hours after every summer camp practice in Fredonia. People'd come that far and sit in the hot sun for hours just to talk to a bunch of dumb, spoiled jocks.  Best people  on the planet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you played with a guy I kinda knew from Riverside, CA. He was an OT that played college ball at Nevada.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very kind of you and you're right.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Who comes up with the gameplan for the next opponent, and when do they do that?  I mean, is each plan developed weeks ahead of time or in the week prior to the game?  If you're doing walkthroughs on a Monday, that implies that the gameplan was formulated prior to the previous game.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pro
Tuesday - Off
Sunday  - game day

Offensive Coordinator and staff generally formulate it,  and yes it'd done  weeks prior to the time.  Generally when you are coaching at that level, you've seen it all before and you generally have a handle on both the tools and the arrangement of the opponent.

if you are playing GB and Rogers is healthy then you know you ave a different set than if you are playing the jets and they have someone from the stands playing QB.  So they have a pretty developed handle on how to deal with situations.

there are whole teams of like, interns, or slaves or volunteers that work with the staff and watch every single game the opponent plays. They watch for variations, and changes to structure etc.

they present a brief to the O coordinator/staff on regular basis. A few weeks before a specific game you ramp up attention on a given opponent and start to watch both them, and also a LOT of counter-film. Watch film of other games which pit your style offense against their style defense.

You are looking for patterns of plays that work against that defensive set.  Then you also look for exploitable gaps. Corners' play too soft, FS cheats left etc.

they come up with a set of plays to work against a specific set and that's your game set.  The Bills tried to keep it simple.  After BYU, Buffalo was cake. BYU runs like,  300 different plays.  Buffalo tried to keep it pretty simple. which was awesome.

then you do walkthroughs against those sets and situations,  to see how to run it.

then the first snap happens, the FS gets hurt, the DT goes down, they shift their line and it all goes to shit
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That dude was scrappy. St Louis Rams. He may have played for the Saints too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then there was a smallish linebacker with heart and dedication that told everyone he was going to play in the nfl.
I wouldn't have guessed he was right.  But he did. (He played at a rival highschool).

Adam Archuletta.  I think he played for saints?

And Redskins... ugh...  Probably good for what he was, but he was GROSSLY overpaid as a Redskin and asked to do more than he was capable of.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

maintenance regiment during the season
View Quote
Nonsense.

You're either going forward or backward...

You can make gains during the season...

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And Redskins... ugh...  Probably good for what he was, but he was GROSSLY overpaid as a Redskin and asked to do more than he was capable of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then there was a smallish linebacker with heart and dedication that told everyone he was going to play in the nfl.
I wouldn't have guessed he was right.  But he did. (He played at a rival highschool).

Adam Archuletta.  I think he played for saints?

That's the Redskin business model. *cough* Lavar Arrington *cough* Albert Haynesworth *cough*
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
it's hard to say,  my experience is the same as your coaches. if they are big and shaving in 9th grade they're mostly done growing.  he's accurate if they are baby face and not growing yet they have a chance.  that's what we see in our kids coming through our HS program too.

a few years ago we found some of my physical papers from when i started football. My first year was 9th grade. I was 6'2" 190 lbs.   I graduated high school 6'4" and about 285. I graduated college at 6'5" and about 330.

My son plays college baseball and his friends were as you described, there were a couple beast in 9th grade, huge, starters etc.  one of the beasts was the second shortest kid at graduation.  My son Jake was 5'11' Most of his high school career. He graduated about 6'1".  He's now 6'7" ( still 190 lbs, scrawny little bitch lol). So it's hard to say.

I'd say if your boy is 13 and getting a beard, he's probably close to max height. If he's still babyface and soft, he's got some growing to do.
View Quote

You were bigger in 9th grade than I am at 32 years old.

6'3" and 180

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Crash what years did you play. I know keith mckeller pretty well he works at one of my network stores
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Crash what years did you play. I know keith mckeller pretty well he works at one of my network stores
View Quote

he's before my time, he was a beast!  Great player.  I was there in 96/97 season.   only a year before head trauma and I'm out.    

I was really a nobody there, second string OT, on and off IR etc.  rooky thing. so I got to see the process from the inside, play a little in a few games but not like the guys who stick long term.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Cool info and stories crashburnrepeat

Any other nfl guys into ar15's?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Did you play all 4 years at BYU? Did you play with any notable players with your time there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pro
Tuesday - Off
Sunday  - game day

Offensive Coordinator and staff generally formulate it,  and yes it'd done  weeks prior to the time.  Generally when you are coaching at that level, you've seen it all before and you generally have a handle on both the tools and the arrangement of the opponent.

if you are playing GB and Rogers is healthy then you know you ave a different set than if you are playing the jets and they have someone from the stands playing QB.  So they have a pretty developed handle on how to deal with situations.

there are whole teams of like, interns, or slaves or volunteers that work with the staff and watch every single game the opponent plays. They watch for variations, and changes to structure etc.

they present a brief to the O coordinator/staff on regular basis. A few weeks before a specific game you ramp up attention on a given opponent and start to watch both them, and also a LOT of counter-film. Watch film of other games which pit your style offense against their style defense.

You are looking for patterns of plays that work against that defensive set.  Then you also look for exploitable gaps. Corners' play too soft, FS cheats left etc.

they come up with a set of plays to work against a specific set and that's your game set.  The Bills tried to keep it simple.  After BYU, Buffalo was cake. BYU runs like,  300 different plays.  Buffalo tried to keep it pretty simple. which was awesome.

then you do walkthroughs against those sets and situations,  to see how to run it.

then the first snap happens, the FS gets hurt, the DT goes down, they shift their line and it all goes to shit

Did you play all 4 years at BYU? Did you play with any notable players with your time there?

Most noteable was Ty Detmer.  There were a few others, I played with Rob Morris who is a stud linebacker for the colts, just retired.  itula mili, TE for the SHawks, Ryan Denny was DE for the Bills. He was young when I played at BYU and was just learning.  Good kid, great attitude, Developed into a player.

Chad Lewis and I were together, great friends. Evan Pilgrim, OG for the bears,  Travis Hall, DT for Falcons.  Bunch of others but those are the ones you'll know.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Very cool. What was it like in the LDS subculture there. Did you fit in? Where their any athletic struggles that may not be apparent to people outside looking in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most noteable was Ty Detmer.  There were a few others, I played with Rob Morris who is a stud linebacker for the colts, just retired.  itula mili, TE for the SHawks, Ryan Denny was DE for the Bills. He was young when I played at BYU and was just learning.  Good kid, great attitude, Developed into a player.

Chad Lewis and I were together, great friends. Evan Pilgrim, OG for the bears,  Travis Hall, DT for Falcons.  Bunch of others but those are the ones you'll know.....

Very cool. What was it like in the LDS subculture there. Did you fit in? Where their any athletic struggles that may not be apparent to people outside looking in?

the LDS Subculture in Provo? the LDS is the super-culture here. any other culture are sub-cultures in Provo.  I actually fit in fine. I was born to LDS folks though not really active/interested till I was an adult.

Provo is this weird sort of dichotomy,  it's this super homogenous,  very cloistered place that is almost backwards in time. but you can't find a better place to raise a family.

I didn't fit in totally since I was born in Idaho and mormons from other areas of the country are different from mormons here. Mormons from other parts of the country outside Provo and Orem are more "normal" and would not be readily identifiable as anything but normal Christians.  Provo Mormons take it up notch  they are highly devout.   Not that that's a bad thing but for example,  the Poly's and I LOVED to go catfishin' then have these big beer batter fish frys.  I was adopted by the polys due to my refusal to wear anything but flip flops 350 days a year and my ability to spear fish large fish.

I was walking into the student housing carrying a six pack of beer for the fish fry, and someone saw me.  I could not have attracted more attention if I'd have had a mixed race orgy on the front lawn also involving ponies and other farm animals.

Specific people would actively avoid me after that for fear I'd corrupt them.  I then got a friendly visit by the clergy just to check up on me.  it took me a bit to put two and two together but I finally did. he laughed his butt off when I finally called him on it.

after that I made it a point to find the big 24 pack boxes of beer at the store they would sometimes use to stock coolers or other places, and bring them home with me, I'd load food in them and bring them in the house.  crap like that.

Provo's one of the best places on the planet to live and have kids, but it's certainly a  different place
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Cool info and stories crashburnrepeat

Any other nfl guys into ar15's?
View Quote

I'm pretty sure Ryan Tannehill's wife is.  

For the one or two of you who may have missed this... Dolphins quarterback's wife forgets rifle in the back of a rental car

Oh, and many honest thanks to Crashburn...this is a pretty cool thread and your contributions are insightful.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I call Provo the subculture because LDS members there are so different from other members around the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the LDS Subculture in Provo? the LDS is the super-culture here. any other culture are sub-cultures in Provo.  I actually fit in fine. I was born to LDS folks though not really active/interested till I was an adult.

Provo is this weird sort of dichotomy,  it's this super homogenous,  very cloistered place that is almost backwards in time. but you can't find a better place to raise a family.

I didn't fit in totally since I was born in Idaho and mormons from other areas of the country are different from mormons here. Mormons from other parts of the country outside Provo and Orem are more "normal" and would not be readily identifiable as anything but normal Christians.  Provo Mormons take it up notch  they are highly devout.   Not that that's a bad thing but for example,  the Poly's and I LOVED to go catfishin' then have these big beer batter fish frys.  I was adopted by the polys due to my refusal to wear anything but flip flops 350 days a year and my ability to spear fish large fish.

I was walking into the student housing carrying a six pack of beer for the fish fry, and someone saw me.  I could not have attracted more attention if I'd have had a mixed race orgy on the front lawn also involving ponies and other farm animals.

Specific people would actively avoid me after that for fear I'd corrupt them.  I then got a friendly visit by the clergy just to check up on me.  it took me a bit to put two and two together but I finally did. he laughed his butt off when I finally called him on it.

after that I made it a point to find the big 24 pack boxes of beer at the store they would sometimes use to stock coolers or other places, and bring them home with me, I'd load food in them and bring them in the house.  crap like that.

Provo's one of the best places on the planet to live and have kids, but it's certainly a  different place

I call Provo the subculture because LDS members there are so different from other members around the world.

oh my gosh, you nailed it. I missed it the first time.  They are completely different than mormons everywhere else....

the best part was watching the brothers we tricked into playing her roll into town.  wow.  Talk about culture shock.  hahaha.

one of the guys on my team's name was Dermel.  he was a DB. his dream in life was to have a TV show called "Fishin' with Dermel".  he came here "cause it was the whitest place I could find."

After his brother was killed in a drive by shooting in Fresno, he promised his grandma he'd go to college, get a degree and get away from that life.  He did it to. He and I used to go fishing sometimes. But a black guy in provo IS the proverbial fish out of water.  I always felt bad for those guys trying to adjust to life here. it's so odd....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top