User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't fathom why a Christian would want to join the RCC. If you have genuine Christianity, you don't need false religion on top of it.

Sigh.

QED.

He probably says the same thing about anyone who doesn't go to his church.

He doesn't consider Catholics to be Christians.  Actually, he only counts as "Christians" those who adhere to his idea of Christianity.

Yep, his church is the only one that could possibly be correct. His mode of faith and/or worship is the only correct one too....according to him anyway.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So you're one of those folks who takes Matthew 7:1 as a license to ignore truth......it's convenient, isn't it?

We're commanded not to judge each other over petty, secondary issues. However, we're also commanded to judge righteous judgments, guard our doctrine with our lives, mark those who cause divisions contrary to sound doctrine (whhich includes the entire RCC...) and so on.

How do you manage to so gleefully embrace Matthew 7:1, but not these other things?

I am simply following Christ's commandment to the letter.

For the benefit of those who don't have Scripture memorized (of which I am one):

Matthew 7:1-5

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Therefore, since my faith is weak, since I have rebelled openly and purposely against God, since I have wandered for much time seeking the Truth, then who am I to judge others who are also going through the same challenges?

Nowhere in that passage (that YOU used to defend your position) do I read "small petty issues", nor "defence of doctrine", nor anything else you referenced. All it says that if you judge another person, YOU will be judged by that standard.

Could it be that this Catholic understands Scripture better than you do?
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i am about to open an armgeddon sized can of whoopass on the religion bashing comments.

post nice or don't post.

If you're referring to me, could you tell me SPECIFICALLY what you see that violates the CoC?

I hate wading the murky waters of what's permissable and what isn't. It seems sometimes that Protestantism 101 is a CoC violation in some people's eyes.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Oh you can still get one of those with us, you just gotta find one of the older padres when he's feelin' froggy.

Our new Parish Priest is a bit of a firecracker when he wants to be. He walks down among the congregation and gets all in our faces. He's a hoot!
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
this will be another great opportunity for the board's "Christians" to illustrate just how Christ-like they can really be.

Exactly what do you know about being 'Christ-like'?

CERTAINLY more than you know about Catholicisim.

You just keep on thinking that, mmkay?

I don't *think* that, I *know* that.

Every time you post about your disdain for Catholicisim, a dozen Catholics jump in and point out "we don't believe that" "that's not our practice" etc.

So either YOU know more about Catholicisim than Catholics, or you're talking out of your ass.

With regard to what I know about being Christ-like....I don't need to be a Christian (even your flavor!) to read the Bible and understand its teachings.

When I joined this board years ago, posters like you actually pushed me away from Christianity. Chew on that.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
ex_mil,

Whatever choice you make in this matter, I wish you happiness and hope you (and your family) are able to both be more united and come closer to God.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would never trade my ability to approach the throne of God through Jesus Christ for rituals and telling some guy in a box (who may or may not be doing whatever behind the curtain) my sins....What a joke to trade the real deal for rituals..

The trade you refer to does not exist in the RCC. While it is true that in the past such beliefs were held as true, at least in daily practice it is no longer considered so.

The RCC (and someone can pull the Catechism for me if they have it handy) believes that only the Sacrament of Baptism is required for salvation, and that's not a whole lot different than what the other churches teach, now is it?

The rest of the Sacraments are intended to provide you with the grace you need to strengthen you to live a better Christian life.

And before anyone asks, no, works do not earn you salvation in the RCC, but if you are Christian, then the works will follow to show for it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a Southern Baptist and would not even consider it.

thanks for contributing NOTHING!

My opinion is nothing hugh?  If he is a Southern Baptist then he knows where I'm coming from.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When I joined this board years ago, posters like you actually pushed me away from Christianity. Chew on that.

Come on back to Him, brother. You can't possibly be a greater heretic than I am, and that realization actually helped push me TOWARD him.

Hey, if I'm saved we may even find Hitler dancing a jig before the Throne.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I am not a Catholic I am a born again, Bible believing evangelical Christian. I married a Catholic who left the Catholic Church 2 years later.

Personally, I would not convert. My wife and I argued about church for the first year of our marriage and the second year before my wife left Catholicism we just went to our own separate churches.

As others have said here, God looks on the heart and it is there that He finds what matters. The path to heaven is not found inside of a building one goes to every Sunday or in following the rules of a specific religion. We can't do enough good things to "earn" salvation;

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The simplicity of salvation is this - confess and believe.

Romans 10:9 (King James Version)

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Once someone has made this confession and asked Jesus to be their Savior we become adopted sons of God. The church we attend is there to teach us, to help us grow closer to God and to be around people who feel the same way who will help to keep us accountable.

Something I have noticed about most (not all) Catholics is they rely on their religion to save them. Jesus said this about religion -

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness (Matthew 23:27).

This gets back to God looking on what's inside; we can't simply put on a good show, do good deeds, follow the sacraments and go to church every Sunday then expect that to be sufficient to gain salvation. That won't cut it if inside there is no life...no substance that comes from a personal relationship with God.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
this will be another great opportunity for the board's "Christians" to illustrate just how Christ-like they can really be.

Exactly what do you know about being 'Christ-like'?

Well right now you are demonstrating you know very little about it.

Believe it or not you get to decide nothing on who is what.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't fathom why a Christian would want to join the RCC. If you have genuine Christianity, you don't need false religion on top of it.

Sigh.

QED.

He probably says the same thing about anyone who doesn't go to his church.

He doesn't consider Catholics to be Christians.

How is it that you can lie so freely and not be bothered by it?

I've stated - until I was tired of stating it - that I don't see religious affiliation as a test of genuine covversion. Read the Beatitudes. Read the book of 1 John. Therein you'll find tests for whether someone has been genuinely converted. There's little mention of denominational affiliation.

Actually, he only counts as "Christians" those who adhere to his idea of Christianity.

If that was true, how could I continue to fellowship with methodists, primitive baptists, general baptists, presbyterians, quakers, AoG'ers, CoG'ers, non-denoms, anglicans, and so on?

Seriously, how can you lie so blatantly and not be bothered by it? Are you sure you're born again?

Oh, I was thinking of the thread where you said that the majority of Christians believe in YEC, then seemed to follow that with a rationalization that basically excluded most Christians (including the 1 billion plus Catholics, of which I am one).

And being a Catholic, I'm not born again.  I'm comfortable with my relationship with God, your attacks on my Church notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i am about to open an armgeddon sized can of whoopass on the religion bashing comments.

post nice or don't post.

If you're referring to me, could you tell me SPECIFICALLY what you see that violates the CoC?

I hate wading the murky waters of what's permissable and what isn't. It seems sometimes that Protestantism 101 is a CoC violation in some people's eyes.

I don't think calling Catholicism a "false religion" is murky at all, nor is it a part of Protestantism 101.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am not a Catholic I am a born again, Bible believing evangelical Christian. I married a Catholic who left the Catholic Church 2 years later.

Personally, I would not convert. My wife and I argued about church for the first year of our marriage and the second year before my wife left Catholicism we just went to our own separate churches.

As others have said here, God looks on the heart and it is there that He finds what matters. The path to heaven is not found inside of a building one goes to every Sunday or in following the rules of a specific religion. We can't do enough good things to "earn" salvation;

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The simplicity of salvation is this - confess and believe.

I have yet to find where the Catholic Church teaches that we earn salvation by our works. In fact, as a faithful Catholic myself, I know that God gives salvation by His grace. It is our faith that calls us to do works.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have yet to find where the Catholic Church teaches that we earn salvation by our works. In fact, as a faithful Catholic myself, I know that God gives salvation by His grace. It is our faith that calls us to do works.

Exactly. Where this other belief comes from is beyond me.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you sure you're born again?

And being a Catholic, I'm not born again.  I'm comfortable with my relationship with God, your attacks on my Church notwithstanding.

Heck, I consider myself a born-again Catholic Christian.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Of course you're born again, all Catholics arel!!  You were born again of water and spirit at your baptism.  

CCC 1238 The baptismal water is consecrated by a prayer of epiclesis (either at this moment or at the Easter Vigil). The Church asks God that through his Son the power of the Holy Spirit may be sent upon the water, so that those who will be baptized in it may be "born of water and the Spirit."

CCC 1225 In his Passover Christ opened to all men the fountain of Baptism. He had already spoken of his Passion, which he was about to suffer in Jerusalem, as a "Baptism" with which he had to be baptized. The blood and water that flowed from the pierced side of the crucified Jesus are types of Baptism and the Eucharist, the sacraments of new life. From then on, it is possible "to be born of water and the Spirit" in order to enter the Kingdom of God.

See where you are baptized, see where Baptism comes from, if not from the cross of Christ, from his death. There is the whole mystery: he died for you. In him you are redeemed, in him you are saved.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My wife and children are baptized and confirmed catholics. I'm a lifelong christian (southern baptist), and i agree with most of what catholicism stands for, and am considering conversion. Can any of you catholics give me any insight into why I should convert, as opposed to just being a regular "vanilla christian" ?

ex_mil

Perhaps you'd like to discuss some of the things you don't agree with....  

If not here, check out www.catholic.com there is a lot of great info there, as well as a huge forum.

At any rate, I will pray for you and wish you the best on your spiritual journey.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course you're born again, all Catholics arel!!  You were born again of water and spirit at your baptism.  

CCC 1238 The baptismal water is consecrated by a prayer of epiclesis (either at this moment or at the Easter Vigil). The Church asks God that through his Son the power of the Holy Spirit may be sent upon the water, so that those who will be baptized in it may be "born of water and the Spirit."

CCC 1225 In his Passover Christ opened to all men the fountain of Baptism. He had already spoken of his Passion, which he was about to suffer in Jerusalem, as a "Baptism" with which he had to be baptized. The blood and water that flowed from the pierced side of the crucified Jesus are types of Baptism and the Eucharist, the sacraments of new life. From then on, it is possible "to be born of water and the Spirit" in order to enter the Kingdom of God.

See where you are baptized, see where Baptism comes from, if not from the cross of Christ, from his death. There is the whole mystery: he died for you. In him you are redeemed, in him you are saved.

Touche, but you knew what I meant.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Am I the only one struggling with using the word "convert" in the question?  It's not like one is changing belief in Jesus for a belief in a tree.  Do I have problems with some of what the catholic church practices?  Sure I do.  Do I have a problem with what many mainline protestant churches teach?  Sometimes more than the problems I may have with Catholicism.  All that to say: it's not about what label you put on yourself or on others.  

The central tenets of Christianity are really the same between all major "versions".  Jesus is God, came to earth to die in place of us for our sins, rose again, and someday we'll live forever with him.  Works are a natural outpouring of coming to that saving realization of what Jesus did, not a requirement to get into heaven.  I know plenty of Catholics and Protestants that are Christians, and it's pretty obvious that some that call themselves Christians from either side, really aren't.  (Although I would never claim to know for sure what state their relationship with God is.)

So, if your personal worship style is more liturgical and traditional, then by all means, explore those options.  Just keep sight of the fact that if the Church doesn't preach out of the Bible, and doesn't treat Jesus as God (whether that's Catholic or Protestant), then get out of there fast.  Find one that does.  And remember that being a Christian isn't about the label.  It's about Jesus.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Amen, Free_Out_West.

Very well-said!
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Allow me to ask a few simple questions.

Why does it matter what "denomination" of Christian that you are?

Why does it matter what building you go to in order to worship?

Why do you even have to go to a specific building to worship?

Does the specific church that you join have any bearing on what you actually believe deep down inside you,  beyond the lessons and

teachings of anybody else?

Is there anything wrong with NOT going to a specific church?

Do you need the "validation" of your beliefs that comes by engaging in group worship activities, or do you NOT have any need for

such "one of many others" validation as a member of the group/herd/flock?

Speaking only for myself,  I find that a walk outdoors in a peaceful natural setting is immensely more spiritual, and, if I dare

use the word,  holy, than anything that has ever transpired in any church that I have ever been to.

I personally have no need to be accepted in a church.    My own beliefs don't require me to enter a building of wood, brick,

stone, concrete, steel, glass, or anything else in order for me to practice them.

I openly declare that I am perpetually cynical about organized religion.   While I do have my religious beliefs,  and in specific

I directly believe in the existence of God,  I don't have much trust or respect for institutionalized religion.  

I understand human nature.  In any group there will be those who wish to lead, and those who are content to follow.   There

will be those who seek power, and those who do not.    

I see religion as a control mechanism.  It grants power to those in high positions within the church,  and ensures a following,

by giving them a promise of great rewards...but not until after you die.    "Follow me and you go to heaven where it's always

wonderful",  but "If you don't follow me you're going straight to hell where it's NEVER wonderful."   And then,  "This church

needs money to run and support the church officials, who don't have or want regular jobs,  so I'm going to guilt and shame

you into contributing 10 percent of your income, and if you don't do it I'll cast you out and you'll go to hell!"

Now, I'm not saying that every church is like that.  Far from it.   But I have no doubt that some of them would fit that description

rather nicely.   Unquestionably there are some churches that are simply a business.

You have to make your own decision as to where to go or what to do.   But consider four factors:

Cost.          What will it require of me, in any way?

Benefit.     What will this do for me in the present?

Penalty.    What are the drawbacks to this action?

Reward.     What is the long-term benefit of going in this direction?

Compare them to inaction.  What happens if you just stay where you are, for now?

I'm not trying to influence your decision.   I'm trying to help you remove other influences from your decision by looking at the

big picture from some distance away from it.

I'm not unbiased.  My bias is toward skepticism.   But I admit to it,  and maybe a little bit of skepticism isn't such a bad thing.

It can help you to detect a problem before you become invested.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Speaking only for myself,  I find that a walk outdoors in a peaceful natural setting is immensely more spiritual, and, if I dare
use the word,  holy, than anything that has ever transpired in any church that I have ever been to.

You and I, both.

Nothing beats the mountains, baby!
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Why bother converting? Can you not attend Catholic services with your family without going through the hoopla? You can praise and thank God anywhere; I just wouldn’t get distracted. Gods word should be first and foremost. I don’t even think I am an official member of any church unless I did it during childhood, and if so it isn’t the same Church I attend now. I haven’t missed out on anything.

Is your wife more adamant about her denomination or the word of God, will she follow you to the Church you see fit for your family as stated in the following scripture? "But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ. " (1 Cor 11:3)

That being said I think you have to earn the right and respect to be called the spiritual leader of your family before you can expect them to follow you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Does the specific church that you join have any bearing on what you actually believe deep down inside you,  beyond the lessons and

A valid question.  Here is my answer:

Christ said that a man must be baptised to enter the kingdom of God.  He also called prophets, apostles, bishops, teachers, etc..."for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body (church) of Christ...."  (see Ephesians 4:11-14)

So Christ did organize a church, meaning a literal institution.  Also, worthy men were called  and ordained to priesthood positions to administer in ordinances like baptism, which specifically The Lord says is necessary to enter the kingdom of God.

So I would argue that yes, it does matter that you find the correct church, so you may receive a proper baptism performed by those holding authority.  And so you may participate in the perfecting of the saints (members), the work of the ministry, and edifying of the body (church) of Christ.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So I would argue that yes, it does matter that you find the correct church, so you may receive a proper baptism performed by those holding authority.

It has always bothered me that anyone can call themselves a reverend, put up a tent, and start a "Christian" church. Where is the control?

At least the more organized churches (RCC, Southern Baptist, Methodist, etc.) all have a structure around them. It the "Jesus Christ House Of Prayer For All Peoples" (written by hand on a sheet of plywood) types that irk me a bit.

Not that they can't be holy and well-intentioned, but how can one know? "Read the Bible" is no more helpful than "Read the Textbook" when a student has questions...
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

QED.

this....again
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does the specific church that you join have any bearing on what you actually believe deep down inside you, beyond the lessons and

A valid question. Here is my answer:

Christ said that a man must be baptised to enter the kingdom of God. He also called prophets, apostles, bishops, teachers, etc..."for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body (church) of Christ...." (see Ephesians 4:11-14)

So Christ did organize a church, meaning a literal institution. Also, worthy men were called and ordained to priesthood positions to administer in ordinances like baptism, which specifically The Lord says is necessary to enter the kingdom of God.

So I would argue that yes, it does matter that you find the correct church, so you may receive a proper baptism performed by those holding authority. And so you may participate in the perfecting of the saints (members), the work of the ministry, and edifying of the body (church) of Christ.

What defines a correct Baptism? Is a person wrong for thinking they were baptized by the blood of Christ when they accepted him into their hearts?

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh.

QED.

this....again

"false religion"!???

I missed that little insult from arowneragain.

Jesus was accused of practicing "false" religious practices too. (Baptism? What's that got to do with God!??)

Shameful arowneragain

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What defines a correct Baptism? Is a person wrong for thinking they were baptized by the blood of Christ when they accepted him into their hearts?

A sensible question.

I would point to The Savior's baptism as an example.  His heart was obviously already in the correct place.  He obviously had no need for washing away any sins, having no sin himself.  Yet he sought out John the baptist (who was an ordained priest and son of the priest Zacharias) and insisted that he be baptised "to fulfil all righteousness".  Thus Jesus Himself sought out one with proper authority to perform the ordinance and was baptised, being without sin.  Jesus later mentions being "born of the water and of the spirit" and says baptism is necessary to enter the kingdom of God.  That he mentions water specifically, and gave his own example of being baptised in the water, should be a clear indicator of his expectations for us.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A sensible question.

I would point to The Savior's baptism as an example. His heart was obviously already in the correct place. He obviously had no need for washing away any sins, having no sin himself. Yet he sought out John the baptist (who was an ordained priest and son of the priest Zacharias) and insisted that he be baptised "to fulfil all righteousness". Thus Jesus Himself sought out one with proper authority to perform the ordinance and was baptised, being without sin. Jesus later mentions being "born of the water and of the spirit" and says baptism is necessary to enter the kingdom of God. That he mentions water specifically, and gave his own example of being baptised in the water, should be a clear indicator of his expectations for us.

Apparently Jesus was following a "false religion", seeing as how there's nothing in Hebrew Scripture (Jesus was Jewish) that even addresses the need for Baptism "to fulfill all righteousness".

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#31]
At times I've thought about how ancient a practice baptism is.  John was performing baptisms already before Christ came to have his own baptism performed.  I don't recall reading anywhere about pharisees criticizing the practice.  Makes me wonder.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A sensible question.

I would point to The Savior's baptism as an example. His heart was obviously already in the correct place. He obviously had no need for washing away any sins, having no sin himself. Yet he sought out John the baptist (who was an ordained priest and son of the priest Zacharias) and insisted that he be baptised "to fulfil all righteousness". Thus Jesus Himself sought out one with proper authority to perform the ordinance and was baptised, being without sin. Jesus later mentions being "born of the water and of the spirit" and says baptism is necessary to enter the kingdom of God. That he mentions water specifically, and gave his own example of being baptised in the water, should be a clear indicator of his expectations for us.

I certainly don’t have anything against baptism with water, but I have always felt Salvation was one of those issues no man had the understanding to pass judgment on. Some people go around thinking that those not Baptized in their way will go to hell.

John 1:33 States Jesus is the one that will Baptize with the Holy Spirit.

In Luke 23:40-43 we find the story of the criminal dying on the cross beside Jesus.

“We deserve to die for our evil deeds, but this man hasn’t done anything wrong. Then he said, Jesus remember me when you come into your kingdom. And Jesus replied, I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

The criminal accepted Jesus as his savior by acknowledging his kingdom and thus was granted Salvation through baptism by the Holy Spirit. No water needed.

This is not meant to discourage you from getting baptized, but maybe someone has a loved one that accepted Christ on their death bed but was never Baptized, I have no right to judge that this loved one will not be in Heaven. If like the criminal they are in heaven, then it shows that Jesus baptized them with the Holy Spirit and no water was needed.

You can’t go wrong getting baptized with water. However, this all got started because of the assertion you had to find the perfect church so that you could get baptized properly. Which seems to indicate if you get baptized in the wrong Church you aren’t going to Heaven? A judgment I don’t think any man has the right to pass.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A sensible question.

I certainly don’t have anything against baptism with water, but I have always felt Salvation was one of those issues no man had the understanding to pass judgment on. Some people go around thinking that those not Baptized in their way will go to hell.

In Luke 23:40-43 we find the story of the criminal dying on the cross beside Jesus.
“We deserve to die for our evil deeds, but this man hasn’t done anything wrong. Then he said, Jesus remember me when you come into your kingdom. And Jesus replied, I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

The criminal accepted Jesus as his savior by acknowledging his kingdom and thus was granted Salvation through baptism by the Holy Spirit. No water needed.

This is not meant to discourage you from getting baptized, but maybe someone has a loved one that accepted Christ on their death bed but was never Baptized, I have no right to judge that this loved one will not be in Heaven. If like the criminal they are in heaven, then it shows that Jesus baptized them with the Holy Spirit and no water was needed.

You can’t go wrong getting baptized with water. However, this all got started because of the assertion you had to find the perfect church so that you could get baptized properly. Which seems to indicate if you get baptized in the wrong Church you aren’t going to Heaven? A judgment I don’t think any man has the right to pass.

Actually, you are correct in mentioning the assertion that without proper baptism we cannot get into Heaven.  That is exactly what I'm asserting, and exactly what Jesus said.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A judgment I don’t think any man has the right to pass.

Preach it, brother.

Entirely too many "Christians" seem to enjoy playing Christ on Earth, damning this person or that person for this sin or that belief, all the while claiming that the Scriptures prove their point.

Well, Christ isn't limited to the Scriptures, and He obviously forgave even those who had never been baptised, so I think His yardstick is considerably different and more loving than anything we can use, not to mention His insight into who we really are deep inside. He created us, and He knows us better than we know ourselves. Only to Him is given the authority to judge, and that authority was given to Him by the Father Himself.

Lord, please find me worthy!
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A sensible question.

Actually, you are correct in mentioning the assertion that without proper baptism we cannot get into Heaven. That is exactly what I'm asserting, and exactly what Jesus said.

I agree, a proper Baptism is the Holy Spirit was the only key needed for the criminal to get into heaven. There was no need for a Church or water. Since even non-Christians get Baptized and Jews did so well before Christ it does not really say much for your acceptance of Christ. It however can be a public symbol for the Baptism that the Holy Spirit has given you. For it to be a public symbol, does it matter what Church or even if a real pastor pours the water on you? It is still a public symbol regardless. I assure you if Jesus can be baptized by John the Baptist, then a beggar on the street has as much right to baptize you.

I’ll say again what defines a proper baptism? The only thing I can think of and be certain of is that the proper Baptism is accepting Christ into your heart and being Baptized by the Holy Spirit. What done by man can ever be concrete?

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A sensible question.

Apparently Jesus was following a "false religion", seeing as how there's nothing in Hebrew Scripture (Jesus was Jewish) that even addresses the need for Baptism "to fulfill all righteousness".

baptism actually goes back FAR FAR older than christianity.

You mean part of pagan rituals or as part of Judaism?

I don't think it was part of Judaism, maybe it was, but I don't ever remember it being mentioned in the Old Testament.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I converted this year along with my entire family. I grew up in the Assembly of God church and was always a very spirital but quiet person. When taking the classes last year everything just made sense for me. I highly recommend you persue the faith. We are lucky to have 4 Catholic churches in our rural North Alabama county including The Shrine of The Most Blessed Sacrament in Hanceville, Al. I swear, you feel something just being there. Good Luck my Friend!
Clark.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Couple of points...

One, which is easier to wrap one's head around....that God should reveal himself to be a Father who sends his Eternal Word to become "flesh" as a man in order to die for our sins and thus redeeming the human race, send us his Spirit which is neither the Father, nor himself, but is divine.....so as to lead us in all truth....

OR believe that this man who is also God, can say to a piece of bread "this is my body" and by the power of his word, it becomes his body?

Seems to me if one can accept the Incarnation, and Trinity, accepting the concept of Transubstantiation ought not be such a big deal.

As for Jesus giving men power to forgive sins...that's entirely biblical....re-read what happens when He rose from the dead and before Pentecost...when he breathed on his disciples and said "receive the Holy Spirit..." think about that next time you hear someone claim "but, but, men can't forgive sins!"

They can if we are to take "the scripture" and more precisely, Jesus, at his word.

Finally, a word about arguing for one's own religion.... it helps if we keep this on the level of doctrine and morals and not go ad hominem (or 'ad papam' as the case may be). After all, if any group is to be judged by their WORST members, who could be considered good (including the apostles!).
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#40]
This is a very interesting thread, I am learning a lot from it. One question stands out in my mind and that is - who has the true priesthood? LDS or Catholics?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is a very interesting thread, I am learning a lot from it. One question stands out in my mind and that is - who has the true priesthood? LDS or Catholics?

Which one has an unbroken lineage to Simon Peter?
Mt 16:18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

I believe that God gives His word on something, he keeps it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which one has an unbroken lineage to Simon Peter?
Mt 16:18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

I believe that God gives His word on something, he keeps it.

Hi moparman71, I understand those verses as a prophesy to Peter, only. Not to anyone after Peter. If you pick up a paragraph or two before that verse it starts as a teaching about how the Holy Spirit revealed to Peter that Jesus was the Messiah. (To God be the glory!) What am I missing?

Thanks, -A2

P.S. Guy up my street had a 340 Duster back in the day - awesome!  

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#43]
All Christians are baptized into Jesus' priesthood.... we are after all, "a priestly people" to quote St Peter... now, how do we practice this priesthood? By offering up prayers and sacrifices. Christians BLESS things, people, etc.... it's so common most Protestants/Catholics don't even reflect on it, but to bless something or someone is to invoke God's presence on it or them. That's a priestly function.

The Christian ministerial priesthood - the ordained ministers (deacons, presbyters, bishops) has roots going back to the times of the Acts of the Apostles and was already an ancient custom by the 200's... but the liturgy and sacraments was not the 'end all' of Christian priesthood. Parents blessed their children. lay people could (and can) heal, cast out demons, etc. etc. not by their intrinsic power but thanks to the grace of God in their baptism.

Christian marriage was different than pagan because it was sacramental. Ever wonder how Monogamy caught on and won over a world that thought it was impossible? The sacrament imparts supernatural strength. It's real. So is the presence of the Holy Spirit in those who are Confirmed - worthily (lots of kids have no clue what's going on when they're confirmed....poor teaching, sin in their lives...) those who have received the gift of the Spirit via the laying on of hands (cf. Acts), really do have the 7 gifts of the Spirit - if they cooperate with the Lord.

And these things were already  ancient when St Augustine wrote about them in the 4th century. For modern era Baptists or others to pooh-pooh the sacramental nature of Jesus' Church is really to cut off one's nose to spite one's face (inasmuch as we're all One Body). It's not called for even IF one were to accept "sola scritura".... after all, Jesus' church did have ordained ministers (Deacons and presbyters, and apostles) while other Christians were not ordained. Many had gifts of the spirit without being ordained ministers.... there was a hierarchy in the local churches (else, why would St John warn about bad leaders if there weren't supposed to be ANY leaders?)...

many local churches, but one doctrine, one 'way' or morality....guided by local leaders and itinerant leaders (apostles, later bishops) who governed the whole flock of local churches in a given province or later "diocese" after the roman emperor Diocletian who re-organized the empire into zones of influence... sort of ironic the only thing that remained of this anti-catholic emperor's work is the Catholic name for zone of influence or territory! but then that goes back to the historicity of the Catholic Church whereas pre-John Smith Protestants can go back to what? Various heretical groups which never really preached what their later Baptists believe  ...

It's sort of hard to claim "oh yeah, there were lots of proto-Protestants in the 12th, 11th, 10th, 9th, and 8th centuries, they just left no historical records." Uh huh.

There WERE other groups....but what we know about them doesn't match much of classic Protestantism in theology or morals.

Just like ...there WERE other "gospels" and epistles besides the ones found in the KJV.... but somewhere in the 4th century the Catholic Church settled on the canon of what was to be considered "inspired" and what wasn't.... which sets up the rather uncomfortable issue of sola -scritura again.... since, it is only on the authority of the Catholic Church that we even HAVE a "New Testament" in the form it has (as opposed to say, 12 Gospels and 34 epistles,), it's sort of hard to also argue that this same Church with authority to ratify or guarantee the bible itself, was wrong about the hierarchical nature of the ministerial priesthoods, the sacraments, the theology, and basic moral teachings....

Not that people don't try to assert this ,but it's sorta hard to make the case. Jesus did, after all, say (at least as recorded in the Bible that was approved by Catholics in the 300's ) that he sent his disciples out to preach and teach and make disciples of all the nations.... he didn't tell them to write it all down, print up a bunch of copies, and then let every reader figure it out infallibly on their own.... just sayin...

If we want to be faithful to the biblical account, we need to be open to the idea that there are men on earth with the gift of the Spirit which includes teaching authority to speak in his name, baptize, heal, drive out demons, turn wine and bread into his body and blood, forgive sins, and pass on these gifts to other men in their turn.... we would EXPECT to see these gifts in the groups of followers of Jesus.... that is, if all we had to go on was the 4 Gospels, Acts of the Apostles, and the various epistles and letters.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#44]
As for Mormons...well, one has to look at it from Joe Smith's perspective... in order for his idea to be right, the previous 1800 years of Christianity had to be 'wrong'. So if only out of basic marketing or 'market differentation' he'd have to come up with the idea of some "great apostasy" (which was in vogue already among other groups at the time in the early 1800s).

The trouble with this idea is twofold (at least). One, there's nothing in the historical record of any such even occurring. You can't pin in on 313 (Constantine's conversion) or the Nicean council..because if you DO, then say good bye to the CANON OF SCRIPTURE ITSELF which wasn't settled until later that century! Oops! Of course Joe Smith didn't know this. Most people just supposed the New Testament was put together in book form in the 100's. and everyone accepted only those books and not others. (I don't know about you, but the letter of Paul to Philemon just screams "inspired"). Unfortunately for them, that's not how it went down.... there was alot of discrepencies and discussion in those centuries as to what was and was not "canonical". Only the Church in council settled the dispute.

But then, of course, we're talking late 300's, in which case we already have the Trinity, various Christological dogmas, many devotions, etc. already well established.

The second problem is Jesus' promise to remain with his flock.... Yes, Paul and John warned about wolves and false brothers, anti-christs coming in to mess things up... but that's not the same thing as total apostasy for 1800 years. As far as that goes - hasn't everyone experienced false brothers? Their presence is a perpetual threat but hardly a 'proof' that some group is worthless....

Finding 'bad popes' is no more a proof of Catholicism being bad than finding bad Mormons or Baptists.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#45]
My intentions in participating here wasn't to turn this into a Catholic vs LDS argument, which would most likely result in hurt or hard feelings.  My intention was to wish the OP happiness and my hopes that his family would come closer (together and to The Lord) whatever his decision.  So I'll excuse myself from this discussion on that note.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A sensible question.

Actually, you are correct in mentioning the assertion that without proper baptism we cannot get into Heaven. That is exactly what I'm asserting, and exactly what Jesus said.
I agree, a proper Baptism is the Holy Spirit was the only key needed for the criminal to get into heaven. There was no need for a Church or water. Since even non-Christians get Baptized and Jews did so well before Christ it does not really say much for your acceptance of Christ. It however can be a public symbol for the Baptism that the Holy Spirit has given you. For it to be a public symbol, does it matter what Church or even if a real pastor pours the water on you? It is still a public symbol regardless. I assure you if Jesus can be baptized by John the Baptist, then a beggar on the street has as much right to baptize you.

I’ll say again what defines a proper baptism? The only thing I can think of and be certain of is that the proper Baptism is accepting Christ into your heart and being Baptized by the Holy Spirit. What done by man can ever be concrete?

The Bible teaches that baptism is a holy act. It is instituted by God. Using water and God’s Word it offers and gives the forgiveness of sins, spiritual life, and eternal salvation. It is meant for young and old, including children. Infants also are sinful and therefore need the spiritual rebirth brought about through baptism.

Matthew 28:19 Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

John 3:5,6 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, unless a man is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit."

Titus 3:5 He [God] saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.

Mark 10:14 He [Jesus] said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."

Acts 22:16 What are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away.

Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#47]
The issues I have with Catholicism - respectfully:
the insane expensive churches that are all over the U.S. and Europe. Yes they are georgous but I don't see the God honoring part of it.
The praying to Mary. I don't see that in the Bible.
The elaberate garments they wear, as if they are somehow better than all.
The repetitive prayers of many words which the Bible speaks against.
The belief that the bread and wine is turned into "the actual blood and body" of Christ.
The practical worship of the Pope - a mere man.
The belief that they can change the rules or make new ones according to their tradition.
The  belief that they need to earn their way to heaven - denying what what was done at the cross.
The witness of Catholics I personally know. Be one way on Sunday and another the rest of the week.
Praying the Rosary. Not in the Bible
The belief that the Priests can forgive your sins by doing what they ask - such as - pray this or that so many times.
Reading the Bible or even bringing your Bible to church is hardly encouraged from what I have witnessed.
Other than that, I don't have much problem with it. I can and do go to Catholic churches now and then.
I still consider Catholics as my brothers in Christ. How about let's not major in the minors.
I would rather have a marginal Catholic watching my back in the fox hole than a "good liberal" any day.

Peace,  Don
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My intentions in participating here wasn't to turn this into a Catholic vs LDS argument, which would most likely result in hurt or hard feelings.

Don't worry, Shane; we know that wasn't your intention.  Besides, arowneragain beat you to that handily by claiming Catholics aren't Christian.  He's done it in the past, and if it isn't him, its one of the other myriad of anti-Catholics on here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The issues I have with Catholicism - respectfully:
the insane expensive churches that are all over the U.S. and Europe. Yes they are georgous but I don't see the God honoring part of it.

Give god the best, as the church is to reflect the glory of God.  The Eastern Orthodox Christians (who have far more beautiful churches, imho) explain it this way (at least the Orthodox that I know, including an Orthodox priest):
"When you step into church, you are stepping into heaven, and it should reflect that."

The praying to Mary. I don't see that in the Bible.

All we do is ask her to intercede with her Son on our behalf.  We pray to Him, and we ask His mother to talk to him also.  We don't ask her (or any of the saints) to talk to Jesus so that we don't have to.  We ask them to talk to him along side us.
Scirpture speaks clearly of
1) having others pray for us,
2) God is god of the living, not the dead
3) those who have gone before us marked with the sign of faith, are alive in Christ, and looking upon Him face to face.  They are the "great cloud of witnesses."

The elaberate garments they wear, as if they are somehow better than all.

That may be your peception, but that is not what the garments are for.  There is Old Testament basis for it, as the high priest had special garments to signify his role.  The current vestments are just developments of the Roman tunic and outer garments that used to be worn by everyone.  As fashion changed over the centuries, the Church just kept he vestments basically the same.  There is also the symbolism of each article of clothing that is worn.
This link will explain the vestments.  This site has all of them that were used for centuries.  Many/most are not in use today, however.

The repetitive prayers of many words which the Bible speaks against.

The Bible speaks of vain repetition, not repetition itself.  The blind men who repeatedly cried out to Jesus (Matt. 9:27),  blind Bartimeus (Mark 10:46-52),

The belief that the bread and wine is turned into "the actual blood and body" of Christ.

John 6.  All of John 6.  He said we must eat his flesh.  The Jews listening to him didn't like it, so he repeated Himself, more forcefully, with an oath, that we must eat his flesh and drink his blood.
John 6:53: "Amen, amen, I say unto you: except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you."
They understood him literally, and he did not correct them, or explain that he was speaking symbolically or metaphorically, as he usually did.  He emphasized it even more.

The practical worship of the Pope - a mere man.

I don't know a single practicing Catholic who worships the Pope.  Honor and respect him, you bet.  worship him?  Not a chance.

The belief that they can change the rules or make new ones according to their tradition.

???  What rules?  No fish on Fridays?  Kneel at this point, stand at that point?  What are you referring to?  Our doctrine hasn't changed in 2,000 years.  Practices and disciplines can change.

The  belief that they need to earn their way to heaven - denying what what was done at the cross.

We don't believe that.  We are saved by the grace of Christ won for us on the Cross at Calvary.

The witness of Catholics I personally know. Be one way on Sunday and another the rest of the week.

I could say the same thing about many Protestants I know.  Don't judge a religion by its worst members.  Judge a religion by its best members:  St. Francis of Assisi.  Mother Teresa.  St. John of the Cross.  St. Augustine.  St. Elizabeth of Hungary.  St. Laurence., etc.

Praying the Rosary. Not in the Bible

So?  It's just a pious custom and is not required for anyone.  Just because something isn't mentioned in the Bible doesn't mean it's wrong.  The word "trinity" is not in the Bible, yet as a Christian, you believe it, don't you?  The Rosary grew out of a Jewish custom of praying all 150 Psalms.  Over the centuries, it changed to praying 150 Our Fathers or Hail Marys..  The beads just helped to keep track.  Pious custom (doesn't have to be believed if one doesn't want to) tells us that Mary appeared to St. Dominic and gave him the current layout of the rosary.
The Rosary is a way to meditate and pray on the various events in the life of Christ.  The Hail Marys and Our Fathers are more the background music as we meditate on Jesus' Incarnation, birth, passion, death, resurrection, and ascension, etc.

The belief that the Priests can forgive your sins by doing what they ask - such as - pray this or that so many times.

Wow.  Talk about misunderstanding.  
John 20:23  Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them: and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.   The Apostles were given the authority to forgive sins in the name of Jesus, but they weren't given the ability to read people's minds...

Sin is more than just an offense against God.  it wounds our relationship with the entire Body of Christ.  The priest tells us that God grants us pardon and peace, but there is still the issue of our sin wounding our relationship with the community.  The penance is our way of showing we want to heal that wound with Christ's Church.

Reading the Bible or even bringing your Bible to church is hardly encouraged from what I have witnessed.

Ever looked at the missalette in the back of the pew?  It has the Scripture readings for each week in it.  No need to bring our bible to church when the scripture is already there for us to read.
Reading the Bible is definitely encouraged. We had a Bible Study at my home last spring that lasted for 12 weeks, studying most of the Old Testament.  How many Catholics do that is another matter entirely.

I would rather have a marginal Catholic watching my back in the fox hole than a "good liberal" any day.

I'd rather have the better shooter watching my back, regardless of whether they're Catholic or Baptist, or Fundamentalist, or Dino!  

Peace,  Don

Pax tecum, frater.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Can any of you catholics give me any insight into why I should convert, as opposed to just being a regular "vanilla christian" ?

ex_mil

What I find interesting is that ex_mil asked Catholics for advice, and instead he gets anti-Catholics who choose to jump in to attack the Catholic Church.

ex_mil,
I went to school to learn how to teach the Catholic Faith, and I am a teacher for our RCIA process (the process of learning you would go through if you choose to enter into full communion with the Catholic Church).  Any time you have questions, please feel free to IM or email me.  I will be more than happy to help.  There are other knowledgeable Catholics on here, such as JusAdBellum, TWIRE, Cattitude, moparman71, and others who will be more than happy to help you.  We not only know what the Church teaches, but we're actively striving to live our lives for Christ as He taught us through the Church.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top