Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The 302 was truly a great combo as was the hemi, the bosses, and the great Pontiacs[;)], but keep in mind they all had something that we don't--gasoline.

These killer combos and race engines just don't do well on 92 octane unleaded. Unless you are going to shell out the bucks for race fuel most of the old school formulas for big power just don't cut anymore on the street.

Unfortunatly this is where the turbo, whiz-bang new tech guys are making big gains.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally from gus:
The advantage to this is your average poor shmo could lift a 440 out of a New Yorker, throw in a cam and external bolt-ons, and have a genuine high perf setup. Chevy had crap heads on their mundane engines as did Ford, and as for cranks and rods, well, NOBODY built regular old engines as stoutly as did Chrysler. Today this means no hunting around for special (expensive) "double hump" or "angle plug" Chevy heads, just slap on any old 1968-1973 head and you're pretty much there with a Mopar big block.

Right on!  MOPAR or no car!  I've recently bought a '72 Chrysler Town & Country (pea green & woodgrain) that is going to get the sleeper/"Q-ship" treatment ("who, me?  No way officer, it must have been that Camero over there that was doing burnouts, this is my grandma's car.....").  It already has the 440 & "tow package" but an aftermarket aluminum dual plane intake, headers & misc speed parts are going to be in the works.  I'll admit that a C body wagon isn't what most normal people would consider a hot car but at least I'm not the only one, check out http://www.wagonsofsteel.com/

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Gus:

That AAR 'Cuda is PERFECT! Thanks for the bigger image of it... here's one of my Boss Mustang, while we're at it. I bought it in 1972.

[img]http://www.netsnapshot.com/users/3909/images/PIGRW8CoBQIAADuE5YY_3909_15.pjpeg[/img]

It needs a thorough restoration... I ordered a new '88 GT to drive while I restored the Boss, and the Boss has just sat ever since. Maybe someday... need to get those 12.5:1 pop-ups out, though; the timing has been retarded so far to prevent detonation that performance suffers. That car was THE machine in its day... nothing like a pre-ban American muscle car! (My apologies to the guy merely wanting Camaro advice...)

FITTER out
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#5]
It doesnt matter what engine it had, it was a Chevy so the damn thing never ran anyway

[:)>]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, chevrolets never run[rolleyes] You must be an AMC guy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Camaro's suck.......

Mustangs are better........

[:d]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 3:22:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Arock

307 from 283 Chevys, 302 from 289 Fords.

I stand corrected.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top