Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#1]
After 2 weeks...you should be ready to start your training...if your a couch expert like I am..lol
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on which shape you're going for.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't kill yourself trying to win the damn thing.
Participation and a modest finish is all that's required.

a-bare
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#4]
My brother has talked to a lot of people who have done what you are having to do, OP, and they did fine.

These aren't "races", they are "challenges."

You run to the next obstacle, but you get to wait for your turn to go through the obstacle. It's not like you're running the whole thing non-stop.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Take about 50 mg of adderall and 60 mg of hydrocodone.

You will probably win that sum bitch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are totally out of shape and you try to just brute-force a 3.5 mile run you have a pretty serious chance of hurting yourself. Mind over matter does not work with running. just focus on running, slow and nasty.
wk 1:  Monday 1mi- wed 1mi-  friday 2 mi
wk 2: Sunday 1 mi- tues 2 mi- thursday 3 mi, then 1 mile runs every other day until race day.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Hydrate heavy and some pain meds wouldn't hurt before & after the event.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#8]
<joke>Pain killers on race day are your friend - I will not suggest any illegal ones, but vitamin I is a mild start </joke>
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My 3.0 mile run went from 26:00+ to 23:04 in 3 weeks.  2 weeks after that it was 22:04.  Two weeks is plenty of time to get yourself in shape.

If you started "getting in shape" already running 3 miles in less than 27 minutes, you were already in better shape than 87% of the population.

the 26:–– min time was my first attempt at running 3 miles consecutively.  Part of the way I even walked.  If OP trains seriously, by the end of 2 weeks, he should be feeling pretty good about his running.  That assumes that OP isn't grossly overweight.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#10]
3.5 is nothing, unless you are fat an out of shape.  If so, prepare to hate yourself for a day.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know i will make it.  Just looking to ease the suffering.

I once woke up, heard an announcement for the seattle half marathon.  Got up, went down there, signed up and ran the whole thing without stopping. I had only run 2.5miles a few times for a month before.

Granted, I ran slowly, and was extremely sore everywhere the next day.
Especially biceps and ribs.

I also did the stp (seattle to portland) bike ride on a "night before" dare. After not riding my bike for 2 years.  It was 206 miles of torture.

The older you get the less you are going to be able to pull that crap off :)

Ask me, I know.  I used to be able to just grit my teeth and muscle through most anything physical.  Now at 45, if I don't do my 5-10 miles of running a week, I just wilt into a jabba the hut.

No ability to recover quickly anymore.  Gone.  Vamooose.

Patrick

I guess i am a glutton.  But i feel like i am in the worse shape of my life right now.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Absolutely not...
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dress as a Zombie and it'll mask your pain.

I like this option.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Im on week 5 day 3 today of C25K in preperation for the Merrell Mud Run in Oct and the Mudder in Feb. Im averaging a 10 min pace for my intervals covering 2.1 miles in 21 min. My run pace is usually between 7 and 8 and my walk pace is usually around 15.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I went from slob to able to pass the Air Force PAST test in six weeks.  So you can probably pull this off.

PAST Test: 1.5 mile run in 11.5 minutes
50 pushups
50 situps
500 yard swim < 15 minutes (joke)
8 pullups (joke)
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boy there's a big franchise market in charging bored yuppies to run through a muddy jungle gym.

Yep, but they're fun... and many of them benefit worthy charities (like Tough Mudder/Wounded Warriors).

I never knew how many they were. I would bet it's a pretty lucrative racket. All you need is rental of a location and some of them make the people pay for insurance, which I would guess would be their biggest cost.  
I'm certain they make a ton of money. Seems like a good business to get into.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

http://www.menshealth.com/spartacus/workouts/

Try doing that, except 5 days a week. Rest on the weekends.

I do it every other day. It's my favorite cardio routine. Got me pretty shredded pretty quick too. Made my legs enormous.

ETA: But in reality, no, you wont be in the shape you want to be in in two weeks.

That looks pretty interesting.

How does it compare to P90x or Insanity workouts?  

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Your fucked. Just do it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Anything can be done with sufficient calories and large amounts of DONT QUIT YOU FATFUCK. Its taken me past my first 5k :) Im WAY down from 265lb and i run 2 miles on mondays, 3 on tuesdays and working on 5 full miles on fridays. Sprints on weeknds with almost 100-120 miles on bike a week.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#22]
You won't get in much better performance shape... but you CAN get your body used to the pain it's about to endure. To me, three or four weeks is the ideal "get back into shape and stop hurting like a bitch" timeframe. Two weeks ain't the best, but it can work. Just don't over train in these two weeks. DOMS is not your goal because it can screw you out of a day or two.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#23]
If you really want to do this, you're going to have to work on your cardio super hard for the next 14 days.

If you really haven't ran or worked out in a long time, it will be tough but doable depending on how naturally fit you are. Still, you will feel like you are going to die.

Here's some stuff you can do to start off easy that will help your cardio.

Jumping jacks are a good warmup. 20 jumping jacks, 20 pushups, 20 jumping jacks, 20 situps, 20 jumping jacks, 20 leg lifts, 20 jumping jacks, 20 mountain climbers.
Jog in place with a partner for 3 minutes while tossing an 8lbs medicine ball to each other.
Do some step ups onto an 18" ledge for 3 minutes.
Do some jump ups onto an 18" ledge for 1 minute.
Hit and kick a punching bag or dummy for 3 minutes.
Jump rope for 3 minutes.
Hit and kick the punching bag for 3 minutes again.
Up-downs for 3 minutes.
1 mile slow to moderate paced jog.

On other days, you can practice sprints using cones to increase agility and speed. One thing I really enjoy is to find a long street with regularly spaced light poles and do an alternating sprint/jog as I pass each light pole.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#24]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span

If you throw yourself into it right now by run time you're body will be at it's lowest point reserve. Start off slow and let the competition be part of and the most extreme workout in a building proccess. Once it's over you can consider yourself injured. Let the body recover/heal for a few days and then resume working out at a lesser level, working up to the competition demand and maintain that
routine so you'll be in shape the next time.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#25]
iraqi jumping jacks?

do you mean you jumped around like a retard?
because that's what my google search indicates iraqi jumping jacks are
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 1:00:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Its called 2-a-days(3 if you count the lifting), aka hell week for football LOL.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Drink water...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Well i did the "hell run" today. I wore a suit and tie, and also a girl's ruck with all our phones, wallets, cameras, free t shirts, alieve etc in it.

Wasnt that bad. A lot of waiting at the obstacles. I thought they were harder than they were gonna be in my mind.  The mud pits were waste deep at points, and there were ones that you also had to crawl through. It was pretty insane. My suit coat weighed about 100 pounds at the end.  

My thrift store white basketball hightops i bought last night really werent comfortable. But the velcro helped against suction in the mud.

Worst thing was the icy river crossing up to chest, and then the icy "shower" at the end.

Fun!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Tell us how you feel day after tomorrow!  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top