Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Though many will consume far fewer taxes as they age more gracefully than the fat slobs chewing through Medicaid like it's a T-Bone.

I disagree with this statement.

The cost of end of life medical care is about equal for everybody.

being in better shape costing less in medical care, is like the whole red herring about smokers costing more in medical coverage.

It isnt true.

The problem is that those in better shape (just like those that dont smoke) will probably drag more out of the government in Social Security, welfare, pensions, etc...

So ride a bike, you are sticking it to the other taxpayers!!!

I think you just won the "rationalization of the year" award.

Congrats.

What rationalization?

Do I REALLY need to explain this to you or are you just trying to be difficult?

You're basically saying its OK to be fat and be a smoker when it comes to overall cost.
It's like you're giving the benefit of the doubt to the fat, diabetic, smokers, etc instead to those who care about their bodies.

Trust me, america's populas is much better off with strong, healthy people. If you cannot see that then you are bordering on mental retardation.

Say americans are called to defend her borders, it seems a person like you would be ok with everyone being fat and needed daily medications to function as a normal human.

wow, got under your skin? strike a nerve?

I was making a comment about economics.

Back when the Clintons were arguing that they needed to raise the tax on cigarettes to meet the 'extra' medical cost of smokers, some economists did a study and found that the government was making a bigger 'profit' (due to not having to pay out social security, welfare, pensions, etc, because smokers died 10-12 years before non-smokers) on each pack, than the tax that already existed.  (I think at the time the tax was 50 cents a pack, and the 'profit' was  80-something? cents, or something like that).  Those economists found that nearly everyone paid/cost the same in medical coverage over their life, regardless of whether they smoked or not.  

I bet the same thing occurs when a comparison of fit vs non-fit lifetime medical costs are made.

So in a macro economic view, it would be better for the unproductive members of society to be fat, lazy, smokers, than to be fit and a drain for a long long time.

Wow dude, just wow.

You are seriously lacking in common sense.
You're reading so far into something that the easy answer on the surface is hidden to you.

GL with life man.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#2]
In Idaho, bicycles in the lane of traffic are considered a vehicle, no different from a car, and bicycles have the same right of way to a lane of traffic as a car.  Cars are permited to pass on the left of a slower moving cyclist, however, if it is unsafe to pass, the car must slow it's speed and remain behind the bicycle untill it is safe to pass.  

In your scenario, if the cyclist is in a traffice lane (not on the sidewalk) and is stopped at a stop sign, then you are to treat the cyclist as you would another car.  If this is a 4 way stop, you stop and the bike proceeds first, if you have no stop sign, the cyclist waits for all cars with the right of way to pass and then the cyclist may cross your lane of traffic.

Lawyers injured on bicycles take up the cases
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
As a biker I cannot STAND bikers who will run the tail end of a red light or blow stop signs like they are exempt.

To those who that use gas soley to get around: trust me, this "exempt" type of behavior is the source of many internal conflicts with us riders so please keep this in mind next time you see a biker doing this and think we all do this.

The more I act like a car on the road, the safer I seem to be.

But there are times when say the sidewalk and bike lanes are closed and I WILL go 15-20mph in the street to get around the trouble spot and get back in the bike lane.

Sorry if I held you up for that 5-10 seconds of your precious life.

I wish there were more bikers in Seattle with your attitude.  Up here they blow stop signs, run red lights, etc.  I see it literally every day on my short drive to work, and its getting to the point where it is odd to not have to slam on the brakes because some douche wants to blow a stop sign right in front of my Jeep.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As a biker I cannot STAND bikers who will run the tail end of a red light or blow stop signs like they are exempt.

To those who that use gas soley to get around: trust me, this "exempt" type of behavior is the source of many internal conflicts with us riders so please keep this in mind next time you see a biker doing this and think we all do this.

The more I act like a car on the road, the safer I seem to be.

But there are times when say the sidewalk and bike lanes are closed and I WILL go 15-20mph in the street to get around the trouble spot and get back in the bike lane.

Sorry if I held you up for that 5-10 seconds of your precious life.

I wish there were more bikers in Seattle with your attitude.  Up here they blow stop signs, run red lights, etc.  I see it literally every day on my short drive to work, and its getting to the point where it is odd to not have to slam on the brakes because some douche wants to blow a stop sign right in front of my Jeep.

That's too bad it's like that.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whatever happened to ride like an jackass and you get run over causing your guts to blow out your ass.

I almost contributed to this yesterday.

Blind corner going left.

Four bike riders, 2 in the bike lane, 2 pulling into my lane to talk to the others.
Not riding single file, but abreast from the bike lane into the vehicle lane.
Oncoming big rig from the opposite driection.
I honk and the bike riders in my lane flip me off.
I missed him by about 2 inches.
It's all about consideration and common sense.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
To all you RETARDS who consider themselves PROFFESIONAL bike riders by wearing all their lycra, their cute little retard helmets, ride $2000-$3000 bikes who think you can ride in the street like a car, get a clue.
Read the laws you do not have the same right as a car. You are a hazard and rolling death on two wheels. Your ignorance to logic and common sence makes you a liabity to everyone. Making a left turn from the turn lane is complete asshole arrogance, riding in the street like a car shows your complete and total stupidty to the entire human race.
Everyone is taught in school how to safely ride a bike, stay to the right, stay inside the bike lanes, cross the streets in the crosswalks, etc.  CARS have the right a way if you like it or not they can and often do kill you.
Use your brain,you are not a car,you dont not belong in the street and for gawds sake stop wearing the ghey looking lycra bullshit. You can keep the helmet so everyone knows you are a retard.

Wow!  I have never seen a better piece that mocks the anti-cyclist attitude and the ignorance behind it.
Well, I was wrong.  I mistakenly thought that his post was too stupid for reality, even considering the topic.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah, fuck it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whatever happened to ride like an jackass and you get run over causing your guts to blow out your ass.

Blind corner going left.

Four bike riders, 2 in the bike lane, 2 pulling into my lane to talk to the others.

so 2 wrongs make a right?
he should not have fliped you off, and when cars honk at me i usually give them the benefit of the doubt that they are doing that to alert me of them overtaking me on the road.
in your case i will assume it was a honk out of anger. and what the fuck is up with being 2 inches from them when passing? you cant wait 3 seconds for the big rig to pass?
oh, and if you ever do hit a bike rider, i hope they read your post on this thread. admitting to willingly endangering a cycleist on the road. way to go.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#9]
So much hate and elitism in this post.

I have to pay for gas and registration and every other expense that comes with owning/operating a car, therefore I am more important & should be given more consideration by default...

Fuck you.  You bought the car, jackass, now deal with the laws that govern its use.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To all you RETARDS who consider themselves PROFFESIONAL bike riders by wearing all their lycra, their cute little retard helmets, ride $2000-$3000 bikes who think you can ride in the street like a car, get a clue.
Read the laws you do not have the same right as a car. You are a hazard and rolling death on two wheels. Your ignorance to logic and common sence makes you a liabity to everyone. Making a left turn from the turn lane is complete asshole arrogance, riding in the street like a car shows your complete and total stupidty to the entire human race.
Everyone is taught in school how to safely ride a bike, stay to the right, stay inside the bike lanes, cross the streets in the crosswalks, etc.  CARS have the right a way if you like it or not they can and often do kill you.
Use your brain,you are not a car,you dont not belong in the street and for gawds sake stop wearing the ghey looking lycra bullshit. You can keep the helmet so everyone knows you are a retard.

No offense meant to the mentally handicap as they know better and fear death.

I'm just going to assume the laws concerning bicycles are different in AZ than just about every other state because you can't be that ignorant of the laws you should know to be eligible for the privilege to drive a motor vehicle.

I think maybe you have pedestrians and cyclists confused, they are different and operate under different rules. Cyclists should be following the same rules as drivers and drivers should be aware of this fact. I doubt the laws in AZ are much different than anywhere else concerning bicycles on the road so I guess maybe that makes you the retard!
 You can laugh all you want but I will not be the dumbass slammed of the road by a vehicle that cannot see or slow down for an ass on bike being somewhere where he shouldnt. Your arrogance has proven my point. Darwin sides with the people in the cars every time. Life is to short to be killed on a bicycle because of sheer stupidity. I dont have a problem with bikes, I have one myself, I have a problem with people thinking that they control the power of the highway with their bikes and "Fuck them I belong here too" attitude. Death is not on your side.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blind corner going left.

Is it really? Maybe you should practice what you preach then, because I don't see what's so considerate or sensible about trying to kill a bicyclist because he flipped you off.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blind corner going left.

he should not have fliped you off, and when cars honk at me i usually give them the benefit of the doubt that they are doing that to alert me of them overtaking me on the road.
in your case i will assume it was a honk out of anger. You assume wrongand what the fuck is up with being 2 inches from them when passing? Here's what the fuck is up!!!The retards on the bikes wouldn't stay single file in the bike lane and were in my lane. Are you capable of comprehding that.? Now as I enter the curve, I have 2 choices. Hit the bikers in the middle of the road, or swerve to miss them and hit the diesel head on. I honk to alert the biker he's in my way and get flipped off. Since I'm not going to risk my life for the dumbshit that's blocking my lane with with his bike and is flipping me off, I swerved as far left as I could without hitting the truck. Fortunately the truck saw the retards on their bikes in the middle of the lane and swerved to his right to avoid me. That's how the fuck I was 2 inches from hitting them!!you cant wait 3 seconds for the big rig to pass?
oh, and if you ever do hit a bike rider,If I do hit a bike rider, it will be because the fucking idiot is in the middle lane of a highway in a blind corner, flipping me off instead of following the law and rding sigle file in the bike lane. i hope they read your post on this thread. admitting to willingly endangering a cycleist on the road.Darwin is the one who endangered that asshole. way to go. I know, it was a damn fine piece of driving on my part. The sheriff said it would have been the bike riders fault if I'd have hit him. Gave the assholes a ticket too, for failure to yield to my right of way.

So how was there two wrongs? Bike riders are supposed to share the road, not block it.

Whatta mook!!

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just going to assume the laws concerning bicycles are different in AZ than just about every other state because you can't be that ignorant of the laws you should know to be eligible for the privilege to drive a motor vehicle.

I think maybe you have pedestrians and cyclists confused, they are different and operate under different rules. Cyclists should be following the same rules as drivers and drivers should be aware of this fact. I doubt the laws in AZ are much different than anywhere else concerning bicycles on the road so I guess maybe that makes you the retard!
 You can laugh all you want but I will not be the dumbass slammed of the road by a vehicle that cannot see or slow down for an ass on bike being somewhere where he shouldnt. Your arrogance has proven my point. Darwin sides with the people in the cars every time. Life is to short to be killed on a bicycle because of shear stupidity. I dont have a problem with bikes, I have one myself, I have a problem with people thinking that they control the power of the highway with their bikes and "Fuck them I belong here too" attitude. Death is not on your side.

I'd say you are the one with the dangerous attitude on the road and everyone involved loses when you hit someone - the biker/pedestrian ends up possibly dead and you end up getting pounded in the ass by Bubba before you make parole (Darwin laughs at the living too - someone needs to flip the burgers).  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blind corner going left.

in your case i will assume it was a honk out of anger. You assume wrongand what the fuck is up with being 2 inches from them when passing? Here's what the fuck is up!!!The retards on the bikes wouldn't stay single file in the bike lane and were in my lane. Are you capable of comprehding that.? Now as I enter the curve, I have 2 choices. Hit the bikers in the middle of the road, or swerve to miss them and hit the diesel head on. I honk to alert the biker he's in my way and get flipped off. Since I'm not going to risk my life for the dumbshit that's blocking my lane with with his bike and is flipping me off, I swerved as far left as I could without hitting the truck. Fortunately the truck saw the retards on their bikes in the middle of the lane and swerved to his right to avoid me. That's how the fuck I was 2 inches from hitting them!!you cant wait 3 seconds for the big rig to pass?
oh, and if you ever do hit a bike rider,If I do hit a bike rider, it will be because the fucking idiot is in the middle lane of a highway in a blind corner, flipping me off instead of following the law and rding sigle file in the bike lane. i hope they read your post on this thread. admitting to willingly endangering a cycleist on the road.Darwin is the one who endangered that asshole. way to go. I know, it was a damn fine piece of driving on my part. The sheriff said it would have been the bike riders fault if I'd have hit him. Gave the assholes a ticket too, for failure to yield to my right of way.

So how was there two wrongs? Bike riders are supposed to share the road, not block it.

Whatta mook!!

the biker was in the wrong by flipping you off. you were in the wrong by passing him with only inches to spare between you and the bike rider.
what do you define sharing the road as? cyclists have a legal right to the road just as you do in a vehicle. when i am riding i try my best to listen for oncoming traffic and move out of the way when they approach. you should give them a few seconds to get single file and allow you to pass. if you were to pull that shit with me, driving within 2 " of me, you would have a officer at your door letting you know that charges are being pressed. i have had a vehicle almost side swipe me while riding, and it is not something i take lightly.

next time, instead of stepping on the gas when you see cyclists and a semi, why dont you apply the brakes?
even my 1/2 ton GMC yukon can brake fast enough to avoid such an situation. either you were speeding way too fast or not paying attention, probably a combination of both.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Blind corner going left.

Whatta mook!!

Quoted:
the biker was in the wrong by flipping you off. you were in the wrong by passing him with only inches to spare between you and the bike rider.
what do you define sharing the road as? cyclists have a legal right to the road just as you do in a vehicle. when i am riding i try my best to listen for oncoming traffic and move out of the way when they approach. you should give them a few seconds to get single file and allow you to pass. if you were to pull that shit with me, driving within 2 " of me, you would have a officer at your door letting you know that charges are being pressed. i have had a vehicle almost side swipe me while riding, and it is not something i take lightly.

next time, instead of stepping on the gas when you see cyclists and a semi, why dont you apply the brakes?
even my 1/2 ton GMC yukon can brake fast enough to avoid such an situation. either you were speeding way too fast or not paying attention, probably a combination of both.

Your reading comprension is still failing you.
I'll type slow, perhaps you'll unsterstand...
Blind corner, cyclist in the middle of the road. (you know, by the yellow no pass lines)
Honked to alert him while trying to slow down.
Rather the pull to the right out of the traffic lane,
moron bicyclist flips me the bird.
Took what evasive action I could to avoid him,
while not swerving completely into oncoming lane.
That's how I missed the fucking retard on two wheels.

Now, since you wish to continue debate sharing the road.
The speed limit was 50mph. 35mph in the turn. Road is going uphill.
Dickless bike retard is by the double yellows doing 10-15mph.
The darwin candidate is not "sharing the road", he's an obstical.
I, on the other hand was obeying all the rules.
Retard refuses to move when I come around the corner, I have 3 choices.
Swerve left into oncoming lane and possibly hit big truck in it.
Swerve right on hit 1 semi retarded rider and 2 obeying the law.
Continue straight and hit retard flipping me off. (Best course of action)
But, non-retarded truck driver sees situation and pulls right allowing me safe passage left and a 2" miss of the bicycling retard.

Sheriff behind trucker, (Who also swerved right) pulls over
and procedes to rip retarded bike rider a new asshole then tickets him.

But since you're the kind of bicycle rider who can defend riding 15mph in a 35mph zone
in the middle of the road and then call it sharing the road,
Then calling the cops after a near miss that you would have caused.

Then I think the rider I nearly hit isn't the only retar....

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:

Blind corner going left.

This post seriously sounds like you got pissed off and forced your way through despite the danger to them and yourself.

Perhaps you should go back and edit it so that readers know you entered the corner way too fast and squeezing between the cyclist and truck was the only evasive option you left yourself.

height=8
Your reading comprension is still failing you.
I'll type slow, perhaps you'll unsterstand...
Blind corner, cyclist in the middle of the road. (you know, by the yellow no pass lines)
Honked to alert him while trying to slow down.
Rather the pull to the right out of the traffic lane,
moron bicyclist flips me the bird.
Took what evasive action I could to avoid him,
while not swerving completely into oncoming lane.
That's how I missed the fucking retard on two wheels.

"Always be able to stop in the space you can see."  You were going so fast you couldn't slow down to avoid another vehicle going 10-15mph, which means you would have been really screwed if there was a non-moving obstacle like a wreck around the corner.

height=8
The sheriff said it would have been the bike riders fault if I'd have hit him. Gave the assholes a ticket too, for failure to yield to my right of way.

That Sheriff doesn't know what he's talking about.  The cyclists had the right of way, not you.  Even if they were violating the right of way nothing gives you the right to run them over.  You would have been at fault, morally and legally, same as rear-ending any other vehicle.  He could've given them a ticket for more than two abreast, though I don't know that would hold given that two were not in the lane, or failure to stay to the right.  You deserve a ticket too for your part in the fiasco.

Take heart though, that cyclist probably drives like he rides.  You just don't notice another retard behind the wheel cause they're so common.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#17]
i feel the love in the air reading this thread.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can laugh all you want but I will not be the dumbass slammed of the road by a vehicle that cannot see or slow down for an ass on bike being somewhere where he shouldnt. Your arrogance has proven my point. Darwin sides with the people in the cars every time. Life is to short to be killed on a bicycle because of shear stupidity. I dont have a problem with bikes, I have one myself, I have a problem with people thinking that they control the power of the highway with their bikes and "Fuck them I belong here too" attitude. Death is not on your side.

I'd say you are the one with the dangerous attitude on the road and everyone involved loses when you hit someone - the biker/pedestrian ends up possibly dead and you end up getting pounded in the ass by Bubba before you make parole (Darwin laughs at the living too - someone needs to flip the burgers).  

One day when you are old enough to own a car maybe you will understand that the person splattered all over the road could have avoided his eventual fate by being responsible for his own safety. By the way school starts soon try to learn something this year.

It's too bad your ignorance of the laws won't make me any younger...damn! I've been cycling on the roads for about 20 years now and still do about 150-200 miles a week. I've never been hit by a car yet because I obey the laws, stay cognizant of the situation and always leave myself an out.

Yeah school starts next week (for my daughter), so how pissed do you get at the buses constantly stopping the flow of traffic?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Back in the day, Pat Tillman used to ride his bike to NFL training wearing of all things, Lycra.

I'm sure we can get a collection going to fly you up to Ft. Lewis where you can proudly proclaim that Pat was teh ghey in one of the "Bat boy" bars.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
... The sheriff said it would have been the bike riders fault if I'd have hit him. Gave the assholes a ticket too, for failure to yield to my right of way...

Here's my official Rodential BS call on this.

Bicycles and cars follow the same rules of the road. You have no "right" to pass either unsafely. Hitting either from behind while trying to do so is never "their" fault. There is no such thing as a sheriff so ignorant that he would write such a ticket or tell you such a thing. You are a liar.    
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#21]
This thread is nearly comical.

Yes I am a 'lycra wearing' biker on occasion.  I also own three vehicles and contribute to global warming and ozone depletion.

When I ride, nearly everyone in motor vehicles are accommodating.  No one like paying $3 a gallon for gas.

The fact of the matter is bicycles are vehicles and subject to the same driving laws as cars and trucks.  Just because some cyclists blow lights and such doesn't make it right.  All cars obey the speed limit and follow all motor vehicle laws?

No one is in that big of a hurry to have to do anything unsafe on the road.  Give yourself enough time to get where you are going and relax.

Sorry in advance for the lycra thing.  When I first started riding, I wore regular shorts.  After a few episodes of 'numb-nuts', I broke down and bought the faggety shorts.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#22]
This guy pedaled up Mt. Evans, 14,271 ft and 28 miles of the highest paved road in North America.  Gas taxes didn't pay for this road.  They wanted a research station and to link 3 really high peaks in CO (Pikes Peak and one other one)

It would take a long time for a bicycle to wear out a road.  Trucks do it a lot better....and everyone pays for the damage trucks do.  Gasoline tanker trucks go up and down my street by the hour from a nearby depot.  Without them the road would look a lot better and last a lot longer between repairs.

ETA, if they really spent all the gas taxes they collect on roads they could probably even afford to build separate bike paths so motorists and bikers would meet less often.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I think you are to treat them just like a car , if you have a stop sign and he has a stop sign who ever was in the intersection first has the right of way but if you didn't have a stop sign you have the right of way unless there is a ped crossing  !

Hope this is the answer you were looking for !

Except to point out that a cyclist isn't a pedestrian, you are correct.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#24]
The thing that pisses me off worse than ANYTHING is the amount of meddling the government does into our chosen form of transportation.

I can walk down the road all I want.  I can bicycle down the road all I want.  I can even use a skateboard, roller blades, tricycle, or pogostick if I want.  But the minute I modify a Schwinn Stingray with a weed eater engine, so it will go a little faster and farther, I get slapped with a ticket!

You think maybe they ought to ticket the clown on a unicycle instead?  NO! They ticket the guy who DOESN'T cause a dangerous situation, pays gas taxes and can keep up with traffic better...

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... The sheriff said it would have been the bike riders fault if I'd have hit him. Gave the assholes a ticket too, for failure to yield to my right of way...

Bicycles and cars follow the same rules of the road. You have no "right" to pass either unsafely. Hitting either from behind while trying to do so is never "their" fault. There is no such thing as a sheriff so ignorant that he would write such a ticket or tell you such a thing. You are a liar.    

Rodent, I used to have respect for you, now you can just blow me.
Since you called me a liar and did so out plain ignorance, spite or whatever.
I'll post my state's law on the situation so you can see for your self I'm right and you're wrong.
Hopefully you'll man up and apologize as quickly as you called BS and me a liar.
I'll highlight the pertinant parts for the reading impaired.

RCW 46.61.770
Riding on roadways and bicycle paths.  

(1) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place shall ride as near to the right side of the right through lane as is safe except as may be appropriate while preparing to make or while making turning movements, or while overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction. A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway or highway other than a limited-access highway, which roadway or highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near to the left side of the left through lane as is safe. A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway may use the shoulder of the roadway or any specially designated bicycle lane if such exists.

(2) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
RCW 46.61.770

[1982 c 55 § 7; 1974 ex.s. c 141 § 14; 1965 ex.s. c 155 § 83.]

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll post my state's law on the situation so you can see for your self I'm right and you're wrong.
Hopefully you'll man up and apologive as quickly as you called BS and me a liar.

RCW 46.61.770

(1) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place shall ride as near to the right side of the right through lane as is safe except as may be appropriate while preparing to make or while making turning movements, or while overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction. A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway or highway other than a limited-access highway, which roadway or highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near to the left side of the left through lane as is safe. A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway may use the shoulder of the roadway or any specially designated bicycle lane if such exists.

(2) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
RCW 46.61.770

Where in there does it say it's ok to hit a cyclist from behind?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully you'll man up and apologive as quickly as you called BS and me a liar.

RCW 46.61.770

RCW 46.61.770

Where in there does it say it's ok to hit a cyclist from behind?

Who ever said it was? Not me.

Read my posts and your learn how I almost hit an asshat bike rider,
who was riding in the middle of a blind corner doing about 10mph in a 35mph zone.
His only course of action was to flip me off.
So much for bike riders sharing the road....
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I hate to get in on this, but there are some misunderstandings about the taxes going on here. The taxes paid on gasoline, inspections and licenses go to the state to maintain the highways. Those taxes do not go to the city to maintain the roads, which is where most, if not all, bicyclists ride. I don't remember seeing a bicycle on a freeway.
I work for a medium size city on the street dept., and the most damage comes from overweight trucks. cars do cause damage, but only after the heavyweights have buckled the pavement to the point water can go through the cracks and damage the roadbase. Weather can damage a road faster than any vehicle, even big trucks.
The roads are paid for by taxes- sales tax, property tax, but are maintained for use by everyone. Tool roads are the only roadways I am familiar with that have a useage fee. All others are for use by anyone, whether they pay taxes or not.
I ride a bike, and there are many cycle clubs who ride near here, especially on weekends. As a general rule they stay to the right and don't cross streets in large groups. The tend to cause as little disruption on traffic as possible. The drivers here usually try to avoid the cyclists also, but there are a few tards everywhere.
As for the driver who almost hit a rider, I understand your post. You came around a blind curve to find an idiot riding at the center stripe. You braked to avoid hitting him and had to swerve into opposing traffic to not hit him and almost hit a truck head-on. You took the proper action and barely avoided injury to protect the cyclist. The deputy also sounds like he took proper action. I'm glad you weren't injured trying to avoid hurting a tard- stupid should hurt.

People need to realize that we all share the road. Having a car does not make you immune to laws- you actually have a greater responsibility to others. Cyclists need to realize that they are also subject to traffic laws- as well as the laws of physics. Might may not make right but it wins everytime. Most arrogant drivers are under 30, a lot of them in their teens. Theye need time and experience to realize just how arrogant they are, hopefully they won't kill someone while they learn.

God, I wish school would start soon!

Jim
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When bike riders have to pay .40 cents per gallon equivilent  for their fuel and a stiff liscense fee for their "vehicle". I will start worrying about what they want to see happen on the roadways.

Why do folks always assume that cyclists don't drive?  

Should folks who pay higher fees for their vehicles have more rights than those who pay less?  Mercedes drivers with more rights than Honda drivers?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#30]
We need to have training to teach car owners hao to drive, instead of just letting them go. Mental testing, stress handeling skills, no tolerance for OWI, or drugs, and cell phone use, no distractions while driving should be tolerated. Put the seat forward and sit up straight.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Bikers are the main reason there should be minimum speed limits on all roads.

Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a herd of biker fags ona  country road when I come up behind them with a blind curve ahead - a road regularly filled with dump trucks coming the other way.

Go to a fucking bike trail.

Fuck bicyclist rights.  FOAD!

I agree, I can't stand these elitist numb-nuts.  And I've been riding bikes for 30+ years.  I just don't get in the way of the 4000lbs car thinking I have the moral superiority.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Maybe buying a bicycle and exercising your way to work would give you an appreciation for vehicles that don't pollute, cause road wear or make noise.  

What the hell are you talking about?  If all the motorists rode bikes I believe there would be mass chaos on the roadways.  No road wear my ass, even ants wear a trail on the ground.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Most of the cyclists I see never stop for stop signs or traffic lights. And what's with those outfits they wear?

Or use proper hand signals, or have lights at night.  Rules apply to you and not them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Only in America  

We're at war over oil; even our poor people are fat; but we complain about transportation that's good exercise and causes no pollution, noise or road wear.

Oh don't even start with this BS oil thing.  You think the only product in the world made from oil is gasoline?  How did all the parts for you bicycle get to the factory, store, your house?  I guess it was all transported by another biker pulling a trailer huh?  Why bother trying to reason with your mentality.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When bike riders have to pay .40 cents per gallon equivilent  for their fuel and a stiff liscense fee for their "vehicle". I will start worrying about what they want to see happen on the roadways.

Why do folks always assume that cyclists don't drive?  

Should folks who pay higher fees for their vehicles have more rights than those who pay less?  Mercedes drivers with more rights than Honda drivers?

Yes, that sounds like a damn good plan.  And intelligence tests for all voters.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#36]
To ARtexan:

I'm sorry but a person who's been riding for 30+ years doesn't say the things you've just said.

Don't even try to use that as if it proves your point more or something.

Just because it took oil products to make the bike and get it to the end user, it doesn't mean we shouldn't discount those who ride more then drive.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#37]
We use oil for everything, It will run out or become very expensive someday, the most oil is used through transportation no contest. So other means of transporting helps along with a good attitude which lacks in this country.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#38]
height=8
Quoted:
Hopefully you'll man up and apologize as quickly as you called BS and me a liar.

RCW 46.61.770

RCW 46.61.770

Do note that the statute says "may" (not "must") use the bike lane, so the cyclist to the right side of the lane was legally perfectly correct.

Both of those statues prohibit the cyclist from unnecessarily delaying other vehicles, but do not remove the right of way from the cyclist in the process; even if the cyclist(s) is/are breaking that law it is still your duty not to speed and to pass safely (both of which you failed to do.)  If you come around a corner and hit anything going 10-15mph in the same direction as you (car, truck, pedestrian, bicycle, farm equipment, etc.) then you were driving too fast for your ability to brake and were at fault.

FWIW, I don't think you're lying, just wrong.  I think you heard and read what you wanted to hear and read.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#39]
As for GhostRing's question, I agree with the cyclist at the scene and the other cyclist's in this thread, Don't Do That.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RCW 46.61.770

RCW 46.61.770

Do note that the statute says "may" (not "must") use the bike lane, so the cyclist to the right side of the lane was legally perfectly correct.

Both of those statues prohibit the cyclist from unnecessarily delaying other vehicles, but do not remove the right of way from the cyclist in the process; even if the cyclist(s) is/are breaking that law it is still your duty not to speed and to pass safely (both of which you failed to do.)  If you come around a corner and hit anything going 10-15mph in the same direction as you (car, truck, pedestrian, bicycle, farm equipment, etc.) then you were driving too fast for your ability to brake and were at fault.

FWIW, I don't think you're lying, just wrong.  I think you heard and read what you wanted to hear and read.

If he is going the speed limit, rounds a blind curve and finds someone blocking the road going 10mph how is he doing wrong?
There is a reason the law prohibits riding more than 2 abreast. It is to avoid situations like he found himself in. Those riders should have been single file through the curve.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
To ARtexan:

I'm sorry but a person who's been riding for 30+ years doesn't say the things you've just said.

Just because it took oil products to make the bike and get it to the end user, it doesn't mean we shouldn't discount those who ride more then drive.

It does prove my point.  My point is I don't take an attitude with people driving their automobiles on the road.  I make it a point to get out of the way so I'm not killed.  Many people get nervous when they approach a bicyclist on the road.  I see how they slow down to the same speed as the bike and don't attempt to pass causing a line of traffic to form behind them.  I get off the road or use the sidewalk if available.  Yes I have been riding bikes since I was six.  I rode my bike as my only means of transportation (school, work, groceries, I even carried plywood and lumber on my bkie to build a trick ramp) until I got my first car at age 19.    I've been hit, more like bump, by a car twice and I watched a car drive up onto the median and hit a friend of mine riding in front of me.  So don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Quoted:
If he is going the speed limit, rounds a blind curve and finds someone blocking the road going 10mph how is he doing wrong?
There is a reason the law prohibits riding more than 2 abreast. It is to avoid situations like he found himself in. Those riders should have been single file through the curve.

Jim

He was driving too fast for the curve.  The speed limit is a legal maximum, not a minimum.  Whether the cyclists should have been to the right or not is irrelevant to these facts.  It could have been any number of other vehicles or obstacles instead of a cyclist causing the exact same or worse issue and his duties do not change depending on the type of vehicle or obstacle he hits or nearly hits.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To ARtexan:

It does prove my point.  My point is I don't take an attitude with people driving their automobiles on the road.  I make it a point to get out of the way so I'm not killed.  Many people get nervous when they approach a bicyclist on the road.  I see how they slow down to the same speed as the bike and don't attempt to pass causing a line of traffic to form behind them.  I get off the road or use the sidewalk if available.  Yes I have been riding bikes since I was six.  I rode my bike as my only means of transportation (school, work, groceries, I even carried plywood and lumber on my bkie to build a trick ramp) until I got my first car at age 19.    I've been hit, more like bump, by a car twice and I watched a car drive up onto the median and hit a friend of mine riding in front of me.  So don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

I know for a FACT you have not been riding for 30 years straight and being hit by a car doesn't make you the moral authority on this subject.

No one said that by default if you ride bikes you're in the middle lane at all times going 10mph in a 45mph zone.

You're stereotyping WAY too much to actually be a rider.

If you were a rider your opinion wouldn't be such a generalization.
SOunds like your state or city needs to devote more money into bike lanes cause here in portland just about every rode has a bike lane at least two feet wide so their is no reason for bikers to be in the main lane unless getting around construction or something.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RCW 46.61.770

RCW 46.61.770

Both of those statues prohibit the cyclist from unnecessarily delaying other vehicles, but do not remove the right of way from the cyclist in the process; even if the cyclist(s) is/are breaking that law it is still your duty not to speed and to pass safely (both of which you failed to do.)  Bullshit, I was not speeding, but following the posted speed limit of 35mph.If you come around a corner and hit anything going 10-15mph in the same direction as you (car, truck, pedestrian, bicycle, farm equipment, etc.) Again. bullshit. Bilnd corner and bicyclist in middle of raod doing 10mph in violation of 2 state laws.then you were driving too fast for your ability to brake and were at fault.I was not at fault, the bike rider was, that's whay he was cired and and I wasn't.

FWIW, I don't think you're lying, just wrong. Guess the Sheriff who witnessed it was wrong yoo, since he cited the bike rider. I think you heard and read what you wanted to hear and read.

FWIW: Reading is fundemental.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Jim

Do not attempt logic with these people.
Despite following the posted speed limit and not breaking any laws,
too them, I am still in the wrong.

If a moron on a bike wants to ride in the middle of the street, in blind corner
25mph below the speed limit, in violation at least 2 state laws.
Then accordering to these several posters, it's the fault of the driver that hits him.

The sheriff is wrong too, if he cites the moron bike rider.

This is why the US is becoming a nanny state.
Personal responsibility for one's actions in not necessary.
Be a bike riding moron and if you get hit by a driver obeying the laws.
It's his fault.

It's really kind of sad and terribly pathetic.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Be responsiable driving a car. Is it hard? boo hoo.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Look, Bikes and Cars DO have to share the road.  This is the motor vehicle code.

Bikes can legally do things that piss drivers off.  Cars need to be aware that the bike has the same legal status as it does on surface streets.

There is an even higher law that states that in a bike on car collision, the car will always win.  It may not be pretty, and it may not be pleasant but that is the Law of nature.

The roads function best when cars respect the safety and rights of the other users of the road, whether they be on bikes, horseback, or merely pedestrians.  Likewise the roads function best when the smaller users are aware of their own peril and take all the necessary measures to reduce the chances of a collision.

A judge in a manslaughter trial isn't going to go easy on you just because you paid more road taxes than the dead biker, and St. Peter isn't going to give you any points at the gate for knowing your rights.

Common sense people!  I drive, and I bike.  I am constantly on the lookout for the next steel hammer of death coming down the road.  I happen to live on a road where there are bicycle races.  A woman was killed recently when she lost control of her bike during a race, and struck an oncoming vehicle.  It was sad for her, but the driver wasn't at fault.  She failed to operate her bicycle in a safe manner, and paid the price in the form of a trailer rolling over her head.
This happened literally a mile from my house, and I ride that road all the time.  Yes it is dangerous, which is why I have to do my part in keeping the LAWS of nature, rather than spouting to every driver that whizzes by portions of the motor vehicle code.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#48]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Both of those statues prohibit the cyclist from unnecessarily delaying other vehicles, but do not remove the right of way from the cyclist in the process; even if the cyclist(s) is/are breaking that law it is still your duty not to speed and to pass safely (both of which you failed to do.)  Bullshit, I was not speeding, but following the posted speed limit of 35mph.If you come around a corner and hit anything going 10-15mph in the same direction as you (car, truck, pedestrian, bicycle, farm equipment, etc.) Again. bullshit. Bilnd corner and bicyclist in middle of raod doing 10mph in violation of 2 state laws.then you were driving too fast for your ability to brake and were at fault.I was not at fault, the bike rider was, that's whay he was cired and and I wasn't.

FWIW, I don't think you're lying, just wrong. Guess the Sheriff who witnessed it was wrong yoo, since he cited the bike rider. hink

FWIW: Reading is fundemental.

height=8
RCW 46.61.400
Basic rule and maximum limits.

(1) No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle or other conveyance on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.

(3) The driver of every vehicle shall, consistent with the requirements of subsection (1) of this section, drive at an appropriate reduced speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, when approaching a hill crest, when traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway, and when special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.

[1965 ex.s. c 155 § 54; 1963 c 16 § 1. Formerly RCW 46.48.011.]

Yep, you were speeding.

I doubt the Sheriff was wrong to cite the cyclist.  He was wrong to state that the cyclist would have been at fault and he was wrong to not cite you for excess speed and unsafe pass.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#49]
You cagers sure wouldn't like the laws in Germany.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(1) No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle or other conveyance on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.

(3) The driver of every vehicle shall, consistent with the requirements of subsection (1) of this section, drive at an appropriate reduced speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, when approaching a hill crest, when traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway, and when special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.

[1965 ex.s. c 155 § 54; 1963 c 16 § 1. Formerly RCW 46.48.011.]

Yep, you were speeding.

I doubt the Sheriff was wrong to cite the cyclist.  He was wrong to state that the cyclist would have been at fault and he was wrong to not cite you for excess speed and unsafe pass.

Since you weren't there your postings have gone from ignorant to just plain stupid.
I don't know what predjudices you have, but they're painfully apparant by your ignorant posts.

I'll type slow again as I can accept your diminished intellectual capacity.
I was not speeding.
I was driving in full compliance to all laws.
I had slowed down from 50mph to 35mph as directed by the road sign.
Once again, moron bike rider was in the middle of the lane in a blind corner going really slow.

There was no unsafe pass.
The only reason I passed the moron was to evade the dipshit as he was in the middle of the road in a blind corner.
The Sheriff was not wrong to not cite me.
He was a witness to the incident as we are witness to your ignorance.
It's amazing how you can make these judgements without having been there.
BTW: Does the DH in your moniker stand for DickHeads?
It would be appropriate.

I'll preface this by saying that the rider was stupid for putting himself in that situation in the first place.

Yet, if I'm assuming correctly (2 lane road, solid yellow line because of the blind turn), you would have been making an illegal pass in Florida.
In FL you must maintain a distance of at least three feet from cyclists and can't cross a solid yellow line to make the pass - basically impossible to do if even a single cyclist is in the lane. This particular rider seems to have been out of the bike path for the wrong reason, but there are LOTS of times when the bike paths are unrideable because of debris (people love to throw bottles there for some reason - just makes it worse for the drivers as well) and cyclists can legally ride in the traffic lane around this. We sometimes have long stretches of unrideable bike paths here so the drivers that get inconvenienced should direct their anger at the drivers that can't properly dispose of their garbage. Trust me, most of us would prefer to stay in the bike paths - it is much safer there and causes far less friction with drivers.

Some cyclists are going to be arrogant pricks on the roads just like some drivers, but most of us try to cause as little disruption to traffic as possible just as most drivers try to keep a safe distance from cyclists and even keep an eye out for the idiots that don't follow the rules so they don't end up under their car. Most cyclists hate idiot riders more than the asshole drivers - we almost had a fist fight between cyclists during last Tuesday nights ride because some idiot cut across the road impeding the flow of traffic (most of us thought she would have kicked his ass ).  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top