Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck, OP.  I've got a good buddy who calls himself uniball

Also, one of our local hockey players dealt with it and was back playing at the AHL/NHL level in 3 months.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/07/after-battling-cancer-brandon-davidson-looks-to-make-oilers/
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The good old 3x BEP. I wen through the exact same regimen, and I was declared cured December 17, with my last Bleo December 3

On the Bleo only days make damn sure to take your Tylenol an hour before the infusion.  You WILL get the shake-n-bakes(low fever, uncontrollable shivering)

Drink LOTS of water - it helps flush the crap out of your body.  Look into getting a few different flavors of the Mio water flavorings, as in about 4 weeks you won't be able to tell from hour to hour what may taste good.

And if you can, get a port installed in your chest.  After a few infusions your veins will start to harden, and even though you're drinking alot of water, you will get dehydrated.  It makes the needle stick a non-issue.

Bring in homemade baked goodies for your infusion nurses a few times, maybe a couple of boxes of Starbucks as well.  You're going to be seeing them very often, might as well make friends.

Call your oncologist and/or tell the nurses about ANY side effects - whether you think its related to chemo or not.

Above all STAY POSITIVE.  

If you want to talk with a very recent TC survivor, PM me and I'll give you my cell number.  I'll answer it 24x7
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Chemo sucks, radiation sucks

Good luck and kick its ass!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I got nothin.

Fuck cancer.

That is all.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks to everyone for the hints and tips, now we have another source of knowledge to help people through this

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i will be doing 3 drugs,

bleomycin,etoposide and cisplatin

they are all toxic and have scary "possible" side affects

different drugs at different times and frequencies

5 days a week straight
mon 1 dose 1-1/2 hrs off rest of wek
mon 1 dose 1-1/2 hrs off rest of week

start over the next m0nday

three 21 day cycles

maybe a 4th cycle
View Quote

Hang in there!  

RE: toxicity:  I understand that chemo is toxic.  Actually, its poison: that's how it is supposed to work (poisons both you and the cancer, but hopefully you survive but the cancer doesn't).

Are they taking lots of precautions?  Double-gloves?  Did they give any warnings about being near children?  Can you have visitors?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Godspeed man we are all here to support you!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The good old 3x BEP. I wen through the exact same regimen, and I was declared cured December 17, with my last Bleo December 3

On the Bleo only days make damn sure to take your Tylenol an hour before the infusion.  You WILL get the shake-n-bakes(low fever, uncontrollable shivering)

Drink LOTS of water - it helps flush the crap out of your body.  Look into getting a few different flavors of the Mio water flavorings, as in about 4 weeks you won't be able to tell from hour to hour what may taste good.

And if you can, get a port installed in your chest.  After a few infusions your veins will start to harden, and even though you're drinking alot of water, you will get dehydrated.  It makes the needle stick a non-issue.

Bring in homemade baked goodies for your infusion nurses a few times, maybe a couple of boxes of Starbucks as well.  You're going to be seeing them very often, might as well make friends.

Call your oncologist and/or tell the nurses about ANY side effects - whether you think its related to chemo or not.

Above all STAY POSITIVE.  

If you want to talk with a very recent TC survivor, PM me and I'll give you my cell number.  I'll answer it 24x7
View Quote

More great info, thank you!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Good Luck !Lymphoma is one of those cancers that they have had very good luck with.
 Winter of 2012/13 I got a shiny new left nut and 6weeks of R/CHOP Chemo with a side of Metotrexate and radiation.
Large B-Cell Lymphoma was my prize. Mass General docs give 85% as the percentage of folks they successfully treat.
My scans have been clear since Jan. 2012. I wish you the same.
Side effects
 I guess everyone is different but mine were:
Hair goes away. Happens about two weeks in. One of the drugs shuts down rapidly dividing cells.
I kept about 15% on my head. All comes back though.

Appetite:
   Compozine is you friend. Never really got nauseous though.Gained about 12 lbs.
Weird thing was I started craving odd things. First time in my life I made a big pot of pea soup.

Fatigue
 Would feel fine then if I tried to do something just would "run out of gas"

Long term side effect that I can't seem to shake is a numbness in my feet.

Question? Did you every take a Statin drug for cholesterol? All the docs said it has no effect but some of the side effects I have read mention testicular pain and reduced testosterone. I took a statin about two years. Makes me wonder if this might have triggered something.
Stay Strong! You will beat this!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Ativan and phenergan are your friends.

Central port or do they place an IV every time?

I spent about a year in and out of the Hospital receiving Chemo for Osteosarcoma when I was a teen.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Hang in there Brother.

"You never know how strong you can be until you have to be strong."

You will do fine I'm sure.

<----  Cancer survivor  

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Question? Did you every take a Statin drug for cholesterol? All the docs said it has no effect but some of the side effects I have read mention testicular pain and reduced testosterone. I took a statin about two years. Makes me wonder if this might have triggered something.
Stay Strong! You will beat this!!!!!!
View Quote

yes for about 2 years,until I noticed muscle loss, it was simvastitin
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Good luck, man.  Kick it's fucking ass.

Do you have someone to drive you home?  You may need it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ativan and phenergan are your friends.

Central port or do they place an IV every time?

I spent about a year in and out of the Hospital receiving Chemo for Osteosarcoma when I was a teen.

Good luck.
View Quote

dont know yet, first day first stick
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good luck, man.  Kick it's fucking ass.

Do you have someone to drive you home?  You may need it.
View Quote

yup, wife kicked me out of truck at 7am so she could go to work...she is 5 min away
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Good luck - kick that fucker in the cock and balls.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#17]
weird thing->

getting into vehicles on driverside, the seat bolster now can go "up" into sac since there is no ball to squish and hurt.....pretty cool until you forget that the left one is still there and it gets squashed between seat and leg.......
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
they just came by and took my lunch order

I ordered:

beef tips and gravy, egg noodles and green beans

hospital food
View Quote

Lunch order?  How frigging long is this infusion?  I don't recall my late wife's chemo infusions taking more than about 1.5 - 2 hrs.

Good luck OP.  The son of a former customer of mine had testicular cancer and beat it.  He recently got married.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lunch order?  How frigging long is this infusion?  I don't recall my late wife's chemo infusions taking more than about 1.5 - 2 hrs.

Good luck OP.  The son of a former customer of mine had testicular cancer and beat it.  He recently got married.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered:

hospital food

mine were a week log stays in the hospital. 3-4 hrs then IV's the rest of the time..

OH and OP, any fever at all get in to the hospital immediately!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered:

hospital food

well since it's first time and I have multiple "bags" to take it will be another couple hours, they had to extra hydrate me first to flush out the poisin so my kidneys and liver dont end up being on the menu at a chinese restaurant

I ate some of all, wasnt bad, luckly I have eaten crap all over the world so this was between high school cafeteria and basic training chow
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

mine were a week log stays in the hospital. 3-4 hrs then IV's the rest of the time..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered:

hospital food

Roger that!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Best and God bless you OP.

My father in law has cancer so I can firmly second your "F cancer" sentiment.

I hope you are in good shape physically and mentally. My FIL is neither and the chemo did a number on him.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Best and God bless you OP.

My father in law has cancer so I can firmly second your "F cancer" sentiment.

I hope you are in good shape physically and mentally. My FIL is neither and the chemo did a number on him.
View Quote

Thank you

I am lucky to be in good-ish shape

and mentally???????????...the doctors say I can play in public, with some people

I lost my best friend about 5 years ago to stage 4 Esophageal Cancer, he was in really bad shape....the Chemo finished him

R.I.P. Stevie
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#24]
No questions.  Just prayers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Good luck man. I lost my father and uncle to cancer.  FUCK CANCER!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No question, just came here to say "Good luck"
View Quote

My BIL is about to have his last Yervoy treatment.  Stay strong and lean on your family.  Let us know if we can do anything for ya.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Good luck and god bless.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Good luck brother, whip it's arrssss.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I ordered:

hospital food
View Quote

I bet it will be worse than you chemo treatment.
I wish you the best.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Fight hard and best wishes for a full recovery.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You know what will usually cheer a guy up?  BOTD.

Log out and back in OP.  Head to BOTD section. Win.
View Quote

Cheers and thank you!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Good luck man!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

And all this time I thought you were some hard ass, ban hammer who ate nails for breakfast.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No thanks necessary.

Click me for BOTD (NOT work safe) or the chemo area...there were several GASPS from the older folks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers and thank you!

No thanks necessary.

Click me for BOTD (NOT work safe) or the chemo area...there were several GASPS from the older folks

will check it out tommorrow...I know were to sit now
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Good luck with everything.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Bring some lemon drops - when they do the flush(where you got the metallic taste), pop one in your moth a minute or so before.

Are you being pumped or dripped?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Good luck OP. Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bring some lemon drops - when they do the flush(where you got the metallic taste), pop one in your moth a minute or so before.

Are you being pumped or dripped?
View Quote

dripped
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now that was pretty classy.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Kick its ass op.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#44]
No questions, just best wishes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I dont have any experience with cancer, thank God, so all ill say is good luck man.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm sorry to hear that!

I got diagnosed with cancer last summer. Since that time I have had major surgery, learned that I will never be cured, and will have to be on a specific treatment for the rest of my life. The past year taught me quite a few things that I will pass on that may or may not hep you.

1. Don't be afraid to ask the doctors for drugs. Nausea day in and day out will take its toll.

2. Learn the fine art of "fuck it." There is no need to sweat the small stuff as it is not worth the time effort and energy.

3. Continue living life.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Wishing you the best of luck. Keep your head up and kick cancer's ass!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yeah NorCal LEO -  WAY TO GO!!!!  

For those who are confused at this point, NorCal LEO just bought OP a team membership.  

OP - HANG IN THERE!!!  When you have a little down-time, you can pick a cool avatar.  Thoughts, prayers and good vibes headed your way.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow that's a nice place to feed you. My first day of new a cycle I in that chair for about 6.5 hours at the end of that day I ready to kill someone other days about 3 hours and on my single day treatments about 2.5  
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Positive thoughts & prayers OP!

MissB
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top