Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
My Brit is going out shooting with me tomorrow.  We used to play FTPs together.  I told him, "hey, remember that gun in COD2 that you liked?..."  

I had one guy, who jokes with me quite often, notice I was pissed one day.  He said, "you ok man?  You're not going to go shoot up the place, are you?"  
I told him "nah, the price of ammo, these days... it'd be cheaper to just stab you all to death."  He hasn't talked about anyone going postal at work since...  

As for the BTK thing.  I would have asked him if he wanted to come over to my house for a prayer meeting...    (Not cool at all.  He'd be picking up my dog's crap for 5.13/hr when I got done with him.)
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No shit, that is LIBEL.  or maybe SLANDER, but either way it is wrong.  

Slander.  'S' for Spoken.  That's how I remember it  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Put a sign on the outside of your cube entrance "Welcome to the Bunker".

I get referred to as the resident "nazi" because of my interest in WW-II history and firearms in my work place.  My boss even called me "unstable" one day because I was able to explain things from a historical point of view about  something he said was "gestapo" like.  I offended by his remarks more than anything.  It has now become somewhat of a joke, but I am still warry of what I say around him.  He's never given me a bad review or anything and other co-workers now come to me as the history expert for some things.  Now when the boss start in on something I'll just look at him and reply "Well when I get to run the trains..."

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You have to fire back at them.  Report that guy who mentioned btk to HR for inappropriate comments.

+1

That stinks of defamation.  How many of your coworkers now quietly wonder about you?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I work for a small electrical outfit, and we recently moved our shop/offices right across the street from a prominant local indoor range. Once I saw this, I was like "WOOHOO! Range time after work on bad days!".....Some guys in the office, not electricians, no military background were like........"You have guns?"....I said, "Hell yeah! And I shoot right over there."...pointing across the road....."What kind of guns do you have?"......."ARs and handguns"......."Whats an AR?"......."Errr, the civilian version of the military's M16"......."What do you use that for?"......"Shooting, and competition."......"What are the handguns for?"....."Self defense when you guys send me into the ghetto for service calls"....lol......that answer gets me a shrug.......then this conversation led me to offer to take them shooting someday, since we're so close now.......and then the conversation went into our various political views......No one ever said I was a kook, or a killer......oh, and when our secretary/slash scheduler had to go into "the 'hood" to check on some jobs......I asked her if she wanted to take my friends along....."What friends?"....."Smith & Wesson"......she just laughed, not offended at all.....so I guess my work folks aren't so bad......

As for Steve-Oh.....I'd ask them to go shooting, to allay their fears.....People fear what they don't understand.....And I'd explain to them that there are more serious threats to our country than Y2K.....sheesh.........I had the "threat assessment" talk with my mom, and now even she understands why I have weapons and stockpile non-perishables and water.......Katrina and the situation in the South afterward, made me well aware that we need to depend on ourselves in a crisis......Man, did that wake me up!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The BTK remark was uncalled for and was without a doubt creating a hostile environment, since he has publicly grouped you with killers.

Not just a killer, but a murdering, torturing psychopath. I can take a ribbing about owning guns, but the S would have immediately HTF if someone had tried to compare me to someone like that.

+1 I don't think you can insult a gun owner or anybody more than that. I'd tell that bastard Pete that the look on his face reminds me of a sphincter and to stop talking because he's not intelligent enough to have a conversation with a person. Rabbits might be a bit more on his level.

Report it to HR. I would not let that crap slide.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm glad I live in Texas! Where I work you'd be the odd one out if you didn't own at least one gun. . .funny thing is I work at a University.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input and the laughs. It's mostly settled down now. I received several messages on our companies intranet IM system, all positive. Most people I think recognized Pete was being an ass. I've saved the transcript in case anything bad should happen, but I don't think I'm going to complain officially; I don't want to be the "gun nut who couldn't take a joke" (which is exactly how he would down play it.) I plan on winning the office over with my wit and rugged good looks, then turning my minions against Pete. And soon the company will be mine.
I'll see what I can do about a company shooting excursion.

Still I was feeling not 100% on the drive home. So I swung by the gun shop.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Draw down then BTK.    Next question?
Just kidding.  Document it with H.R. then look for other employment opportunities.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#10]

I honestly cannot believe the number of people in this thread who are giving advice like "call HR and tell them the other guys at the office are being mean to you.  Waaah."  

"Hostile work environment"

"Slander"

"Formal complaint"

"My pussy hurts"

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate it when a gun owner is made an example of and he's not smart enough to speak up intelligently.  You shouldn't have asked people to "get your back,"  you SHOULD HAVE had some choice words for him after that BTK comment, yet you stood silent - brooding.

I'm sorry, but if I were around that water cooler, the punk pussy liberal would have gotten my nod for squarly kicking you in the nuts and you going down for the count.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#12]
You should tell him that's funny.   You remind me of Jack the Ripper.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have this "debate" down to a high form of art.

Given that one knows what the antis are going to say before they say it, it's all too easy to set them straight head on, and then preemptively set their "response" straight too.

If you understand that the entire anti-gun position revolves around a few, stupid and ignorant fallacies based on what they've seen on TV, it's not too hard to forge a position that leaves them looking pretty dumb.

Honestly, though, the real issue is that your co-workers perceive you in such a way that they feel comfortable questioning your integrity and insulting you straight to your face. I've never had that problem. Sure, people talk may behind my back, but they don't dare say those kind of things to my face.
Even in miserable little "office" working enviroments, a man is much better carrying himself in such a way that there's always a little doubt amongst his coworkers regarding his hesitancy to throw the first punch.

Let those who know me love me, let those who know of me fear me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Before I read the thread title closely, I thought sure you'd posted "You remind me of TBK..."

that would have been much more insulting
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I honestly cannot believe the number of people in this thread who are giving advice like "call HR and tell them the other guys at the office are being mean to you.  Waaah."  

"Slander"

"Formal complaint"

"My pussy hurts"

Actually I did draft a letter to the HR department. It looked like this,
"It is no secret that one of my past times is collecting and safely shooting firearms. I was recently and very publicly ridiculed by Peter ------- for it. Combined with my recent vaginitis flare up, I feel this is more than I can take. His ass has better be either deported or sorting mail by Monday morning. See attached transcript for details.
PS - My pussy hurts."

No I kid. And I am not trying to poke fun at those of you who reccommended it. I was very pissed and strongly considering it, in fact it's still not off the table, if he keeps this crap up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I think my response to that would have been... "You remind me of that prancing little faggot on Will and Grace. I ride motorcycles, race cars and shoot guns, you run around like a frantic fairy in a turd polishing contest, trying to be unoffensive and urbane. Go drink another latte and watch some more HGTV, you wrist-flopping little cocksucker."
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Pull a Cheney.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#18]
listening in on conversation, thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think my response to that would have been... "You remind me of that prancing little faggot on Will and Grace. I ride motorcycles, race cars and shoot guns, you run around like a frantic fairy in a turd polishing contest, trying to be unoffensive and urbane. Go drink another latte and watch some more HGTV, you wrist-flopping little cocksucker."

Seriously, I just pissed myself laughing.  You owe me 1 pair of khaki shorts.

DK's "pussy hurts" comment killed me too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd go with this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I had thought of that! Seriously, I do.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#22]
You did fine steve-oh.  Take them shooting when you can.  I'd suggest one at a time, so that they can talk about how much fun they had to those that haven't been out with the gun nut yet.  You'll get them coming up and asking you to go shooting!  I've taken several gun-fearing libs from work shooting, and everyone of them has become a convert.  

TC

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#23]
1.) Polish Resume and find new job.
2.) On last day at current job, Follow "Pete" into the bathroom. Spread a little soap on the floor, grab the back of his head and smash it into a sink. Run outside exclaiming the horrible accident that just occured.

Just kidding.

Actually you should invite him out for a drink, slip him a Mickey and drop him off outside a gay biker bar.

Still just kidding.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Slander"

"Formal complaint"

"My pussy hurts"

Actually I did draft a letter to the HR department. It looked like this,
"It is no secret that one of my past times is collecting and safely shooting firearms. I was recently and very publicly ridiculed by Peter ------- for it. Combined with my recent vaginitis flare up, I feel this is more than I can take. His ass has better be either deported or sorting mail by Monday morning. See attached transcript for details.
PS - My pussy hurts."

No I kid. And I am not trying to poke fun at those of you who reccommended it. I was very pissed and strongly considering it, in fact it's still not off the table, if he keeps this crap up.

I just think it's the kind of thing that should be worked out without running to HR.  Plus, I think it could easily backfire, since I don't believe any of the "hostile work environment" laws would apply  (but I'm certainly not an expert on labor law).

But - I understand your frustration.  Putting up with idiots at work is very irritating.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow you suck...

I worked with a bunch of liberals at my last job. Had a pic of a custom 1911 on my desk top - ehehe.

If you cant defend your hobbie, thats said man.

I would have put the limey in his place.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Jebus, what a low and irrelevent blow.

I hate that shit.  The most common reaction I get from guys out here when they find out what my hobby is?  "Well, I'm never pissing you off."    Friggin' hilarious, idiot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

"Slander"

There's a reason that slander is an actionable offense.  It really can and does do damage.

What about when the guy is up for promotion and some of the left-leaning people in the office now have the mindset of "Steve, that wierd guy with the guns like the BTK murderer...".

Jim
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I've surprised a lot of fellow students on occasion when people bring up the subject of firearms or CCW, since I'm known around here as someone that everyone gets along with (yeah, I know, funny eh?)  Most people haven't had any sort of experience with someone they knew was a gun owner -- first impressions go a long way.

A couple weeks ago, some lady said to me, "wow, I always wondered what kind of person would own guns like that"

And damn, steve-oh!  You got woman-hands!      
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think my response to that would have been... "You remind me of that prancing little faggot...

And you wouldn't be able to finish your sentence as they tossed you out the door and blackmarked your HR folder.

Unlike drawing a correlation between someone and a convicted serial killer, using the 'objectionable' word above (hint: not "prancing")  will most likely get you fired.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Tell pete   "Now you know why we had a revolution to remove the yoke from your country."

I'm glad I work where I do.  95% of my co-workers own firearms.

Hunting, fishing, firearms and cars are the topics we discuss most,.............OH! and Women.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#32]
In addition to some of the other excellent answers here, I'd point out how well Petey's home country (or Canada) has done since implementing an (even more) draconian gun ban.

IIRC something like a 400% increase in armed robberies, assaults, and murders.

Real effective.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
i don't advertise to anyone that i own guns.   only family and some close friends know that i own guns.

same for ccw.   select few know that about me.  

never know who is going to turn on you

+1
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Try to bring other hot potatoes like abortion, gay rights, Iraqistan, Immigration, Religion...stir up trouble then grab your popcorns and watch the enfolding drama from an easy chair.

Chances are, people will have different sensitive spots and all you have to do is just touch it a bit, and everything goes downhill from there.

Your touchy spot was gun rights.  What's theirs?  So the dude is a Brit.  Hmm.  Think, come up with a range of possible hot topics, test them in a friendly manner until one of them sends off a ticking.  Dig on that topic until the cubicle is fully divided and engulfed in flames
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Try to bring other hot potatoes like abortion, gay rights, Iraqistan, Immigration, Religion...stir up trouble then grab your popcorns and watch the enfolding drama from an easy chair.

Chances are, people will have different sensitive spots and all you have to do is just touch it a bit, and everything goes downhill from there.

Your touchy spot was gun rights.  What's theirs?  So the dude is a Brit.  Hmm.  Think, come up with a range of possible hot topics, test them in a friendly manner until one of them sends off a ticking.  Dig on that topic until the cubicle is fully divided and engulfed in flames

Hit the Brit's soft spot.  Ask him if he is a directly related to Charlie Cornwallis.  If he asks who he is, tell him he came in second at Yorktown.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
"Seriously, you remind me of BTK. He was totally normal during the day, but when no one was watching, he was torturing and killing families."

In any other company, I would have broke that guy's nose right then and there!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Seriously, you remind me of BTK. He was totally normal during the day, but when no one was watching, he was torturing and killing families."

In any other company, I would have broke that guy's nose right then and there!

Accusing someone of being a psychopath is creating a hostile workplace.  At my employer, he'd be fired.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Buy that limey a skirt.

better yet, some Vagisil.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Just don't say this next time you see them. Or maybe do, its up to you!

"And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you."
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

"Slander"

"Formal complaint"

"My pussy hurts"

While I seriously doubt HR would jump all over it, if you think a vindictive asshole might not make a complaint about you 'threatning' him later on down the road I think you are fooling yourself.  I'd simply want it documented that it was him who was unreasonable not I.  As for personally... I'd wait a day and ask if he's man enough to appologize in front of the same group he called me a serial killer in front of.  If not.... I'd let that be known through the office grapevine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#41]
what BS!!!  I doubt that I would have reacted any better than Steve, but I can say that I would have definitly would have been extremely offended.  So sometime later I think I would have had some private words with pete about being compared to BTK.  I probably would have read up on the horrible things BTK did, then recounted those things to dear pete, ad nauseum and in greatest detail.  
Then I would have asked him if he really thought that was a "funny" thing to say to anyone and if it was said to him, how offended would he be if in my shoes.  At this point, I would ask for a public apology and he would only be too glad to clear up this horrible misunderstanding.
Then, I probably would of said something to the effect of what I felt like doing to someone who thoughtlessly compared me to a person like BTK.
then again,, that part might not be such a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Before I read the thread title closely, I thought sure you'd posted "You remind me of TBK..."

Same here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Pistol whip him.
It won't solve anything, but it will make you feel better.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Shooting is a different sport than hunting. It is unrelated to crime and it is non-violent. Self defense is a right. You remain non-violent and non-threatening unless attacked. They are confused and uninformed.

They have created a hostile work enviornment.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#45]
20 years ago, someone would have gotten their ass handed to them for calling you a serial killer.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

"Slander"

"Formal complaint"

"My pussy hurts"

It's called fighting fire with fire.

Conservatives weren't the ones who called for all that pussy, PC human resources bullshit. I consider it to be a thoroughly liberal, ambulance-chaser created system.

It really feels good to see a liberal run through that wringer.

ETA: In the Good 'ol days Steve could have bloodied that guys nose and no one would have said a thing.
But with the power of ambulance chasers these days, if Steve had hit that guy he would have been at the very least fired.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Tell that limey SOB (no offense to the ARfcommer Brits) that he is just angry because his country had his ass handed to him by a nation of people and their "icky guns".
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Just don't say this next time you see them. Or maybe do, its up to you!

"And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you."

That was probably one of the best scenes from Fight Club...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
One of the greatest facts to throw at them is the simple FACT that wherever guns are suddenly outlawed or restricted,  crime ALWAYS ends up INCREASING afterwards.

Conversely,  when gun restrictions are eased, crime DROPS.  

Always has, always will.

You should pick up several copies of John Lott's book "More Guns, Less Crime" and give them to everyone in your office but make them promise they'll actually READ their copies.

Over 310 million guns in the hands of US citizens didn't kill ANYONE today.

CJ

I lent that book to the CIO of my company.  Before reading the book he said, "the only people who need to carry handguns are either cops or criminals."

After reading that book he said, "I can't believe that any politician could possibly be against concealed carry."
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You have to fire back at them.  Report that guy who mentioned btk to HR for inappropriate comments.

+1 take it to hr and remember to let them know how harassed you feel and its affecting your ability to work in the hostile environment.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top