BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
FWIW- I noticed that during the first 8 weeks of basic training, the acne went away on most of the recruits.  I figured at the time that it was because our diet was strictly controlled, with no fried food, and no soda or candy.  It may not the complete cure, but it is worth trying for a few months.

Antibiotics help also from what I have heard.

they also gave you several shots of whoknowswhat. And they made you stay clean as a newborn.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Ask the doc about tetracyclin. That's what he prescribed me and my very bad acne was gone in 2 weeks. It's a little less dramatic than accutane. Accutane was the next step if tetracyclin didn't work like all the over-the-counter stuff. I guess it's an inbetween.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ask the doc about tetracyclin. That's what he prescribed me and my very bad acne was gone in 2 weeks. It's a little less dramatic than accutane. Accutane was the next step if tetracyclin didn't work like all the over-the-counter stuff. I guess it's an inbetween.

No its a POS anti biotic.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No its a POS anti biotic.

What is POS?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:53:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have just started using ProActive this past weekend.  I have tried many OTC things, but nothing worked well and usually just made my skin terribly dry and blotchy.  So far, (on the fourth day of use) the ProActive has not been nearly as harsh on my skin as most of the OTC stuff, and at the moment my skin is clearer than it has been for the last couple of weeks.  I almost never broke out when I was a kid, now that I'm almost thirty I struggle with it.  It's worse when I'm stressed.  I'm hoping the ProActive works like they say it will, it's about my last option before I consult a dermatologist.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Eventually you will outgrow it.

Some people get what is called adult acne. So, after the whole puberty thing is over, you still get acne. Like me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#7]
+1
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I agree with clean sheets FWIW but it isn't going to be a major factor.

Stress is a huge factor in acne as is genetics.

I recommend a dermatologist.
Low dose daily antibiotics seem to help more than anything.

Do not overwash, or excessively dry the skin. That ain't the answer.
Use a mild soap like Tone.

Oil?
Hmmmm?
Probably won't hurt if you don't overdue. I wouldn't really expect it to help either though. I will say that different things work for different people.

Accutane?
Be cautious. It works but it is toxic, mutagenic shit and one of the few meds I will not prescribe under almost any conditions.  
Ya know, I love this kind of shit.  People are always saying, "didn't hurt me, blah, blah, blah..."
Kind of like smoking. But 40 years later, guess what?
Or how about, I drive like an asshole all the time and it hasn't hurt me yet....BANG!
And if it doesn't hurt you what about your kids, grandkids, etc.

I had a PREGNANT NURSE want this shit once and she should have known better. Hell, it's pregnancy category X!!! for crying out loud.  Even after explaining it she still wanted it. No fricking way!

There are topical things like Cleocin Tgel, Differin, etc. Not impressed but different things might work for different people. I would still favor the antibiotic route but talk it over with your dermatologist.  It will be worth it to your children if you have insurance and can afford it.

HUGE +1 on this.

ACCUTANE is so dangerous it has almost been pulled off of the market, you now have to register in order to get it and you have to be on 2 forms of birth control to insure no chance of pregnancy.

You could also check your laundry detergent/softener. Hot water for washing face in large amounts. Stress is a factor and while I know many claim diet is not, there is some relationship to the amount of toxins in your system.

I just thought about something else too, I lived in an area that had hard water and it seemed like there were more kids there with acne problems than elsewhere I have lived.

I can not stress enough do not do Accutane, unless they are dealing with scarring issues.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
FWIW- I noticed that during the first 8 weeks of basic training, the acne went away on most of the recruits.  I figured at the time that it was because our diet was strictly controlled, with no fried food, and no soda or candy.  

Completely forgot about that, blows my its all stress theory out of the water.

Does anyone remember anyone with acne by the end of basic??

Lots of sweat and your diet are obviously the key...and hygiene.

I don't know about how clean they made you get.  I mean 2 minute showers...mostly in cold water...come on.

Maybe if just sweat a little it 'pools' in your pores.  If you sweat a crap load and is dripping off you, it gets away from your skin and also cleans the pores.  This is the solution, time to be a DI or TI.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Teen acne:
NOT AFFECTED BY FOODS!!!!! Seek a Doc, Patty. Don't mess with this. Wrong decision now=scarring.

Adult acne:

Sweat, stress, hormones and touching of the face are all triggers.

I occasionally experience a breakout during "that time" and when I put in too many hours at the restaurant.

I've found that washing with a mild soap, followed by a mild scrub works wonders. I occasionally use a tea tree astringent when needed. Don't make the mistake of overcleaning, though: it can cause even MORE breakouts.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Teen acne:
NOT AFFECTED BY FOODS!!!!! Seek a Doc, Patty. Don't mess with this. Wrong decision now=scarring.

Adult acne:

I occasionally experience a breakout during "that time" and when I put in too many hours at the restaurant.

I've found that washing with a mild soap, followed by a mild scrub works wonders. I occasionally use a tea tree astringent when needed. Don't make the mistake of overcleaning, though: it can cause even MORE breakouts.

What about foods not affecting anything....

I don't think its actually what you eat, but the crap that comes off the food...and onto your hands...hands to face etc etc...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Accutane followed by aggressive Pro-Active as soon as the Accutane treatment ends.  Accutane is the only thing that worked for me in high-school.  I’m 19 now, and with the help of Pro-Active I never have a single zit.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Teen acne:

Adult acne:

I don't think its actually what you eat, but the crap that comes off the food...and onto your hands...hands to face etc etc...

I should have been more clear:
When you work in a tiny restaurant the grease from the frialator and the grill is in the air and thus, on your skin...it's so bad that when I come home the first thing I do is wash the funk off my face ASAP...and...if you touch your face with your hands while wroking (wiping brow or some such) and PRESTO! Instant zit.

Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for accutane.  In 7th and 8th grade I had terrible acne.  That stuff all but made it disappear.  

Now as an adult, people who know me can easily tell when I'm stressed out, as I break out around my eyes.  It's no where near as bad as when I was 12-14 (really not bad at all), but you can notice (at least I can).  Damnest thing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Teen acne:

Adult acne:

I should have been more clear:
When you work in a tiny restaurant the grease from the frialator and the grill is in the air and thus, on your skin...it's so bad that when I come home the first thing I do is wash the funk off my face ASAP...and...if you touch your face with your hands while wroking (wiping brow or some such) and PRESTO! Instant zit.

Sorry for the confusion.

I know I was agreeing with you on its not the intake of food, its the contact with it.  I think this is why 1. A lot of teens have bad acne...at the very least it is a agravating factor 2. Why in Basic no one has acne (limited fried and greasy foods) and 3. Why basic hygiene is the key.

And water, lots of water...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
my aunt swears by clean pillowcases and washcloths every night

+1
Keep your face clean, especially at night. keep away from greasy foods and DON'T touch your face if you do eat some (wash mouth area afterward). If you sweat, wash it.

Basically keep clean.
Wash your face 5 times a day, once when you wake up and before you go to bed and anytime in between that could use it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Keep your face clean, especially at night. keep away from greasy foods and DON'T touch your face if you do eat some (wash mouth area afterward). If you sweat, wash it.

Basically keep clean.
Wash your face 5 times a day, once when you wake up and before you go to bed and anytime in between that could use it.

some people may experiance excessive drying of the skin, the skin & glands then works harder to to make more oil to replenish the skin. Often resulting in more oil than what you started out with. I agree with keeping your face clean, however I recommend applying a non-alcoholic moisturizer after you wash your face, Proactiv's renewing cleanser works well for this.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Basically keep clean.

some people may experiance excessive drying of the skin, the skin & glands then works harder to to make more oil to replenish the skin. Often resulting in more oil than what you started out with. I agree with keeping your face clean, however I recommend applying a non-alcoholic moisturizer after you wash your face, Proactiv's renewing cleanser works well for this.

Stay hydrated

Seriously if one drinks a gallon or more water a day, I don't think dry skin will be an issue.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

HUGE +1 on this.

ACCUTANE is so dangerous it has almost been pulled off of the market, you now have to register in order to get it and you have to be on 2 forms of birth control to insure no chance of pregnancy.

Some semi-auto rifles are so "dangerous" they were once pulled off the market.  A politician's son committed suicide by flying a plane into a building -- the kid happened to be on accutane.  Therefore, the connection between the two is now forever linked, even though 99.99% of accutane users don't commit suicide.  That's the only reason it was almost pulled, one kid offs himself and everyone screams "do it for the children!"  All the while ignoring that accutane is "for the children," at least those who's only real option is the drug.  It's elitism at it's finest.  The rich folk have a knee-jerk reaction and everyone else suffers.    

I can not stress enough do not do Accutane, unless they are dealing with scarring issues.

I do agree there are acute side effects to watch for, like changes in blood lipids and liver profiles.  It's risk vs. reward, and also an issue of quality of life.  For many people, being done with acne possibly forever is worth 5-6 months of mostly tolerable side effects.  It's the closest thing to a real cure.  Otherwise, acne can be a never-ending cycle of creams and pills.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Some might flame as a 'radical' solution but for girls the birth control pill tends to reduce acne a lot of the time.  Plus it tends to lessens pain and shortens periods.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Some might flame as a 'radical' solution but for girls the birth control pill tends to reduce acne a lot of the time.  Plus it tends to lessens pain and shortens periods.

Interesting.  I wonder if the hormones given to these girls were progesterone or estrogen? I diffinately will try the over the counter/antibiotic methods before something else.  

Patty
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.  I wonder if the hormones given to these girls were progesterone or estrogen? I diffinately will try the over the counter/antibiotic methods before something else.  

Patty

Antibiotics won't work as well as a 10% Benzoyl Peroxide face wash. Plus they are expensive if you don't have med insurence.  For $ vs. performance face wash is the way to go.  Make sure they use it.  Start with once per day before bed. I mean for 2 kids you are looking at 80 per month for antibiotics.  Face wash? less than 10 and probably more effective.

Topical treatments simply blow away any pills except for accutaine. Which is hundreds per month per kid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I don't think their acne is bad enough to resort to anything that drastic yet, thankfully.  We do not have prescription coverage so if its very expensive it might be out of the question for now.  

Patty

*ETA* Thank you DrJarhead - I know just washing twice a daily religiously with noxema  helps so maybe the clean pillow cases daily would help even more, its worth a shot.  I'll ask my doctor about the antibiotics.  We're pretty tight right now financially so if there's an over the counter method - I'd like to explore it.

Washing with Noxema is good (I still use it in place of shaving cream), but it may not be enough for your kids.  Seriously, give Pro-Activ a try.  If they're not to the point where they need Accutane, then they may respond very well to Pro-Activ.  It costs about $20/month and is as easy as washing with Noxema.

ETA: BTW, one of the active ingredients of Pro-Activ is Benzoyl Peroxide.  I didn't have a lot of acne, but what I had completely cleared up within two weeks of using Pro-Activ.  And I was only using it once a day (twice daily is recommended).
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]
My college roommate and I both had acne freshmen year.  She took Accutane while my doctor had me on tetracycline, clay mask in the afternoon and Retin-A (before people knew it worked for wrinkles).

My face was clearer than hers and mine went dormant after 4 years of treatment.  Hers never went away.  What's worse is that Accutane can cause sterility.  It took her 10 years to conceive and the doctors blame it on her use of Accutane for almost 5 years.

Due to the side effects, I don't think it's a wise choice for girls.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
two words, no soda

The whole sugar thing is an old wives tale. My grandfather gave my brother hell about it and it seriously pisses me off ot this day when people spout off that absolute horse shit.

Shit worked for me, almost everytime I drink coke, I break out.

I stick to water and I have a very clear compextion.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Fried foods, potato chips, and general fast food always make my face go crazy.  A low fat, low sugar diet is always best.  I learned the hard way.  YMMV but I was never the type to be able to "facially" tolerate the basic American diet of burgers, fries and soda.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My college roommate and I both had acne freshmen year.  She took Accutane while my doctor had me on tetracycline, clay mask in the afternoon and Retin-A (before people knew it worked for wrinkles).

My face was clearer than hers and mine went dormant after 4 years of treatment.  Hers never went away.  What's worse is that Accutane can cause sterility.  It took her 10 years to conceive and the doctors blame it on her use of Accutane for almost 5 years.

Being on accutaine for 5 years is crazy.  Do you mean she went on and off for 5 years? Surely not 5 consecutive always on right?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't ask this guy!

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#30]
or tommy lee jones.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Being on accutaine for 5 years is crazy.  Do you mean she went on and off for 5 years? Surely not 5 consecutive always on right?

Yes, 5 years solid....from 16 to 21 before they took her off Accutane.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Take them to the dermatologist.  Even if the acne gets under control, you don't want to risk permanent scarring.

+1
Get accutane, and don't believe all the scary shit people tell you.
It is bunk.

Just make sure your kids drink a lot of water.
Accutane dehydrates you pretty well, and your lips will chap and peel unless you drink at least half a gallon a day.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

-1. The above poster is under-informed.

Acutane can cause SERIOUS BIRTH DEFECTS

Women of childbearing age who use it MUST agree to use TWO forms of birth control.  They MUST undergo monthly pregnancy tests at the doctor's office and they must be enrolled in a national registry.

That said, I took it and it did wonders for me, my self-esteem, and self-confidence, and I probably would not carry as much baggage as I do had I started it several years earlier.

eta: after reading more of your posts it looks like you need to try the benoyl peroxide face wash first.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Take them to the dermatologist.  Even if the acne gets under control, you don't want to risk permanent scarring.

+1
Get accutane, and don't believe all the scary shit people tell you.
It is bunk.

Just make sure your kids drink a lot of water.
Accutane dehydrates you pretty well, and your lips will chap and peel unless you drink at least half a gallon a day.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

-1. The above poster is under-informed.

Acutane can cause SERIOUS BIRTH DEFECTS

Women of childbearing age who use it MUST agree to use TWO forms of birth control.  They MUST undergo monthly pregnancy tests at the doctor's office and they must be enrolled in a national registry.

That said, I took it and it did wonders for me, my self-esteem, and self-confidence, and I probably would not carry as much baggage as I do had I started it several years earlier.

eta: after reading more of your posts it looks like you need to try the benoyl peroxide face wash first.

At 17, when I began acne treatment my dermatologist told me not to attempt pregnancy for 10 years after completing my medication....DUE TO THE BIRTH DEFECTS MEDICATION CAN CAUSE.

Girls with acne that are under treatment have no business thinking about babies.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I have mild acne, that's like splocthy in places, and I was on that tetra-whatever anti-biotic for maybe a year. It worked great, i never had to do anythign other than take 1 pill every other day.  I would try this before that Accutane, thing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I started both my kids on fairly strict regiments of washing their face with a wash that has Salicylic acid in it.  They wash first thing they get up in the morning, before Basket Ball practice, directly afterwards and before bed time.  I change their pillow cases every other day and I remind them to wash their hands and not touch their faces.

My daughter's acne is 99% gone.  

My son's whose was the worst cleared up considerably but he still has a few nasty pimples that appear infected.  I also cut his hair short so its off of his forehead completely [his chin and forehead is his trouble areas].  I took my son to the doctor today and she prescribed Clindamycin phosphate.  It comes in a bottle that looks like the old roll on deoderent.  He's to wash his face with the saliclic acid and then roll this stuff onto any of his pimples that he has.  Wash his hands better and leave his face alone for a few days.

Hopefully his face will clear up all the way like his sisters has.

Patty
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I used Vitamin E.... The gel caplets... Break them open and put it on your face.... A few hours a night.... Worked for me.

But yes, the main reason it gets bad is by touching/picking at it and touching other places.... Well, was for me anyway.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I used Vitamin E.... The gel caplets... Break them open and put it on your face.... A few hours a night.... Worked for me.

But yes, the main reason it gets bad is by touching/picking at it and touching other places.... Well, was for me anyway.

THat's good to know.  I've been considering giving him Vitamin E as well but worried with his oily skin it would only make things worse.

Patty
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#38]
i had it really bad.  Big suckers.  Tried everything and ended up taking accutane as a last resort.  worked well but it dries you out.  my joints felt like the dried up.  All in all it was worth it.

Lay off soda and greasy foods (potato chips).  Drink lots of water.  Change your pillowcase as often as you can.  Every day if you can.  You can use t-shirts as pillowcases if you dont have a lot of spares.  Make sure you dont lean you head on your hand.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
If it is truly acne, they need a dermatologist.  I had it and because I had a great doc you can't tell.  It requires prescription strength meds and a diet change (the doc will give you a list of all the foods that make it worse).

Yup, get them to a dermatologist.

I had to take tetracycline for years.

Oh, btw, RetinA seems to really help reduce scarring.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:03:11 AM EDT
[#40]
I've never had a pimple in my life.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#41]
www.Acne.Org has worked for me and is cheap.

The benzoil Peroxide kills the bacteria. It is important to moisturize also. blackheads are skin oils mixing with dead skin. The BP will kill the bacteria but dries the skin out the moisturizer which is non-comedogenic (doesn't plug your skin) helps stop the excessive dead skin.

This process has worked great for me. I am 40 and still have very oily skin and bad breakouts if I don't do this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:33:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Don't waste your money on Proactive.  It is basically 10% benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, both of which you can get OTC in cheaper preparations.

Ramp up on the facial and back hygiene, use salicylic acid pads and BP once or twice a day, reduce fats and oils in the diet, and change the pillow cover regularly.  Girls may want to cut back on the amount of makeup.  Closely check any facial product ingredients for oils or glycerin-they will not help the situation.

If it gets really bad, see a dermatologist.  I'm 45 and still occasionally break out, and I am counseling my daughter through her acne--poor kid got my skin!

My .02
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Eventually you will outgrow it. I had acne when I was a teenager, and nothing really seemed to work (Retinal A, Tetracycline, etc). It's mostly gone now and undercontrol. I wash with a Neutragena facial cleanser in the shower. Clean bedding helps.

No, with some people you never outgrow it.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:54:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Go to wal mart and get Acne Free, its generic Proactiv and says "compare with Proactiv" right on the box. It comes with three bottles and is only $20 compared to the $40 or whatever proactiv is.  I've had mild acne and blemishes since high school, i'm 23 now. Just washing didn't work, doctor gave me some pills and some topical stuff which helped but didn't totally work either.  I've been using Acne Free for three weeks and my skin is clear now, I can't get over how well it works.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:01:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the advice.  I'll keep this in mind if my son's acne doesn't clear up.

Patty
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top