Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
David you have some excellent artistic skills. Those are really well done. The two tone lettering is really eye-popping.

ETA:

I have a question on your stencils. I've made a few for my ammo cans (calibers no artwork) but they are a PITA to make using poster board. Do you really make yours using regular paper or is there some other material you've found works well (both in the printer and holds up to spray paint?

I was getting frustrated with my 5.56 stencils (smaller numbers on the front never came out sharp IMHO).

So when I did my 6.8 cans I used a Sharpie marker and plastic stencils (Put the stencils on the can and run the marker around inside). Sharper numbers but kinda small (and I'd prefer to use paint).

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/mdar15manager/6_8%20SPC/Got6_8.jpg

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Some sort of plastic would be best. I used a card stock and they won't last forever but they are holding up pretty well so far. Some of them already have 5-6 sprays on them and look like they could easily go another 5-6. I think what I am using is 65 lb stock.

The reason I didn't go with plastic is because I cant print on them without smearing ink and laser jet toner all over the freaking place. If I wanted to go all out I would print my stencil onto thin paper, spray glue it onto a peice of plastic (like an overhead projector sheet) then cut it out with an exacto blade. But I didn't feel like doing that much work

Probably won't start the next one until Saturday morning, but I have 2 more completely planned out I will get done this weekend that I think people on this site will enjoy.

Edit: Rereading your post it doesn't sound like you either A. Did not have a very clean cut out on the stencil, or B. Didn't have it connected to the can very cleanly. You can see on the second can where I didn't have a good connection and you get the blurry lines and the overspray under the stencil. If the stencil doesn't have a clean cut (or is a fiberous paper that frays easily or absorbs a lot of moisture) then you get smudges and your lines won't come out very straight.

If you were using plastic stencils then I would say it was B. With plastic, since it doesn't suck up the paint like paper, the paint will easly run and smear underneath the stencil. If I was using a plastic stencil I would use a light spray adhesive to put the stencil down on the can, that way paint won't get underneath. Like so: http://www.stencilease.com/db/display.asp?input=1062
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Working on making a stencil for what will, I think obviously, have to be the
Arfcom can... Figured you guys would appreciate a look at how it is coming along.

Since I am making this one completely from scratch (my own drawing and decision on shadow locations) it is taking a little time and still has a little more work to go.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Working on making a stencil for what will, I think obviously, have to be the Arfcom can... Figured you guys would appreciate a look at how it is coming along.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/Evil_Snow_Man/IMG00528-20100304-1758-1.jpg

Since I am making this one completely from scratch (my own drawing and decision on shadow locations) it is taking a little time and still has a little more work to go.

Left handed Stag M4gery? I like it.

It is whatever handed you want depending on how you lay the stencil down
I layed it upside down for that test spray...
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool man, very cool!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 6:17:39 AM EDT
[#7]
These are awesome! I wish I had some kind of talent like that

Well Done!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Can 3 WIP / Pictorial

Starting Can:

Start sanding it out.

Done sanding and washed off:

Base coat time... I usually hit it with about 3-4 coats. The spray paint can is about empty now, so got 3 cans base coats out of it:

As I am not going for the clean can look, I mist my other two colors over the can to give it a bit more of a textured/older look:

Lay out the stencil for the first color layer:

This one was black:

Then lay down the next this one got sprayed the yellow/green:

Then I offset the gas mask symbol just alittle, this is what will leave the light color shadowed:

What it looks like done (I put the stencil down too soon and kinda fucked the texture and paint on the radiation symbol):

Same thing with the side photo, light stencil first:

Dark over the top:

Final pictures will come when the rest of the can is done.

Edit: Can 3 done

Side 1:

Side 2:

Side 3:

Side 4:

Lid:

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Working on making a stencil for what will, I think obviously, have to be the Arfcom can... Figured you guys would appreciate a look at how it is coming along.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/Evil_Snow_Man/IMG00528-20100304-1758-1.jpg

A "white"  AR.... you racist bastard!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A "white"  AR.... you racist bastard!!!

Hell... Everyone keeps calling them EVIL BLACK rifles... That shit be way mo racist then me dog!

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:35:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I did this with my ammo foot locker, and having been thinking about similar ideas for some ammo cans. I just used some cardboard stencils from the craft store. The first pic gets the color better, it's not that light green color, it's much more OD. And the "distressing" is a lot subtle than shown.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can 3 WIP / Pictorial

Thanks for the step by step photo series.  That really clears things up for me.  The new ones look just as cool as the originals, great work...
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]
What kind of paint for the base coat?

What about the artwork? Rattle cans or airbrush?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What kind of paint for the base coat?

What about the artwork? Rattle cans or airbrush?

I am using outdoor metal Krylon. And all purpose spray would work. The art is all rattle canned. Don't have an airbrush.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have access to a laser engraver.

This thread is inspiring. I've been meaning to try making stencils. This is a subject worth the effort.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn this is a cool thread!!

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#17]
You said you had 6 cans. Waiting to see some more. I love the gas mask.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You said you had 6 cans. Waiting to see some more. I love the gas mask.

Will be doing at least 6. I intended to do 2 this weekend but ran out of paint for my base coat. Next can will be done as soon as I wander around in the Wally Worlds direction.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#19]
david, you have inspired me... as soon as i get my crap out of storage im doing my gun safe... pics will follow the project
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

david, you have inspired me... as soon as i get my crap out of storage im doing my gun safe... pics will follow the project

I thought about doing mine... But it has around 250 stickers on it I didn't want to deal with getting off...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top