Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Wolf sucks.  It's dirty and underpowered.  I refuse to shoot the stuff in any gun I own.  I DO shoot steel cased in my AKs, just not Wolf.  Barnaul and Golden Tiger rock, I wish GT made 5.56.  I do not shoot steel cased in any American guns.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So the verdict is it's shoots fine, dirty, clean your rifle afterward, great for plinking, don't use for serious shooting?

Define serious shooting. Would I use it for precision shooting? No. Would I use it (based on MY current experiences with Wolf) in a carbine class? Yes. To plink? Yup.

Anything where high accuracy/long range isn't paramount I'd heavily weigh Wolf in my ammo selection.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Wolf sucks.  It's dirty and underpowered.  I refuse to shoot the stuff in any gun I own.  I DO shoot steel cased in my AKs, just not Wolf.  Barnaul and Golden Tiger rock, I wish GT made 5.56.  I do not shoot steel cased in any American guns.

Ha ha ha you do know that Wolf doesn't actually make their ammo right? They just purchase and import ammo from Russian manufacturers... The same ones that make Barnaul, Golden Tiger, Silver Bear, Etc...

All depends on which plant makes which ammo.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have shot a metric shit load of Wolf .223 in my AR's. Over 7k of the old lacquer cased stuff. No problems and for years I never owned a chamber brush. Is it the best out there? No, not at all. But it is (was) cheap and shot fine. Just lucky I guess.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So the verdict is it's shoots fine, dirty, clean your rifle afterward, great for plinking, don't use for serious shooting?

Define serious shooting. Would I use it for precision shooting? No. Would I use it (based on MY current experiences with Wolf) in a carbine class? Yes. To plink? Yup.

Anything where high accuracy/long range isn't paramount I'd heavily weigh Wolf in my ammo selection.

I mostly going to use it for my mini 14 which is inaccurate anyway and my AR. I'm not going to use my mini as a ranch rifle just to take to the range for the day.
The longest range i'm going to shoot them both at is about 150-175 yards
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Goes bang when I pull the trigger, doesn't jam.

Clean the chamber afterwards before you run brass cased stuff in it again, that can occasionally cause FTE.

And I don't even know how much of this is truth about Wolf specifically or just having a dirty chamber in general because I did a 'test' if you will where I shot 700 rounds of wolf with no cleaning and then a mag each of Federal XM193, South African ball, Malaysian ball, TAP 75gr. 5.56mm, and reloaded 55gr LC ammo.... Had zero FTEs on any of the brass case after shooting the wolf.

Then again, there is O_P's test where wolf is seen to cause the exact issues I DID NOT see in my test. So who knows?

Interesting...interesting, I've actually had similar results to you (with a lot lower round count, albiet), I had also read O_P's test, and was basically going off that.

I still clean my chamber, just in case, but have had no problems at all with any form of steel cased ammunition in my AR...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've never used it and have got mixed reviews

your opinion/experiences?

Good for paper targets, cans, and small animals under 10 pounds (all of which need to be within 100 yards).
Given those limitations, I have never had a problem.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Golden Tiger has a 56gr .223 offering.  Copes had it for $256/k about a month ago.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one round of .223 that didn't have a flashhole in the case.

I drilled holes in the side of it, dumped out the powder, and use it for different drills.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]

shoott it but don't shoot brass after shooting it

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#11]
My AR does not like steel cased ammunition .

(Bushmaster Patrolman)
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Works fine for me ! If Wolf is all I can scrounge up, my go to weapon better be able to use it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Will not use any russian ammo.  Ever.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their 7.62x39 is great, the .22 Match is really, really great and their .223 is just a little bit dirty.  

this

Yes, absolutely. Of course that stuff isn't the steel-cased stuff. Hell that stuff isn't even Russian.  

But as to the Russian, steel-cased ammo, I have no problems with it. People always trot out the same it'll-ruin-your-extractor line. Tell me.......in WW2, when almost ALL .45acp ammo was steel-cased, why didn't we hear ANY complaints of premature extractor breakage in 1911s?

Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet, so ARFCOM wasn't around back then....

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I have used a crap load of it in my AR's.  and keep a crap load on hand
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't shoot any steel cased ammo.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I recently started shooting it out of my ARs and haven't been met with any problems. Just a little dirtier than other flavors.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Will not use any russian ammo.  Ever.

more for MEEEEEEE!!!!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I avoided it until I became an Arfcom member.  Then I learned that not all ARs like Wolf.  I tried it in an Armalite AR15A2 and it didn't feed reliably.  Then I tried it in an M4gery (Spikes lower and Stag upper) and it runs 100 percent reliably.  Now I buy it by the case.

I haven't gotten up the nerve to try it in my AR10 but some posters here report no problems.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It's fine.
just a little dirty

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm just curious what everyone who says they would never use it or haven't worked up the nerve to try it in a certain gun, thinks is going to happen?

Wolf doesn't just KB guns that don't like it. At most it won't feed/cycle reliably. Trying it in your AR10 isn't going to just blow the thing up. Buy a box and try it out! Why wouldn't you?

You know brass cased ammo has issues too... Is it simply because it's 'different'? I understand not shooting it when you need high accuracy, or the power and range of a full load... but I just don't see how you can justify not using it as plinking ammo when it is cheaper than brass and works fine for plinking... Unless you've tried it and your AR doesn't like it. Fine. But to just say 'no way, I WON'T shoot that steel case crap thru MY guns!' is ridiculous.

To each his own however.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#22]
It works fine. Just be sure not to get the stuff with the shiny cases.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#23]
And to toss more fire on this mess.

I collect all my spent .223 Wolf steel cases and reload them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Never had a problem with Wolf .223 and shoot thousands of em a year. As far as accuracy goes, I made a trip to the range yesterday to try out my new build. 16" 1/7 barreled upper with an Eotech at 200yds netted me 5 out of 6 "head shots" on a military silhouette target. I ain't high speed either

Edit for proof of Wolf being accurate.

Shot with BlackBerry 9530 at 2009-11-03
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I shoot nothing but the cheapest Russian steel case I can get my hands on.  If that means Wolf, so be it.  Next week it might be Brown Bear.  My Del-Ton AR and Sig556 both eat it up.  My 9s and 45s also run exclusively Wolf, and have a similarly excellent record.  And I ain't exactly finicky when it comes to cleaning, if you get my drift.

One malfunction in my AR out of thousands of rounds, and that was mag related.  Couple malfunctions in each of my 1911s, but that was during the break-in period and had nothing to do with the ammo.  Wolf always, always goes bang.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Seems mild load. Not as hot as the old yellow box norinko.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Seems mild load. Not as hot as the old yellow box norinko.

It is a mild load. Brown/Silver bear is most certainly hotter. But I've yet to need more power from a wolf round. If you need more power, I just don't think wolf is right for what you are doing.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Not very good in my AR, I have had issues where it didn't seem to be throwing the bolt carrier back far enough to chamber a new round, where is every other type of ammo I have used, I never had that problem.

It's good for AKs though, my AK74 runs like a champ with it (5.45).

ETA: Oh yeah one thing, the powder burns pretty dirty, so plan on cleaning alot if you do decide to shoot it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Tried a few hundred rounds of Military Classic 55gr stuff once that was given to me. Used a Colt factory rifle and had two stuck cases with the rims torn off, with a clean chamber. Other than that, it was OK. Kinda dirty. Nowadays, it's the only way some people can practice. If I didn't reload I'd probably use this for close range practice. Keep your chamber clean and make sure you use it FOR PRACTICE ONLY and not to face the elephant.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:09:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Love it!  I will 86 any firearm that will not run it.

What he said.

Is it that time again?  I thought we did this one already this quarter.

I cant afford to buy a different gun for each day of the week,  if I gotta pick up ammo off a dead guy thats been laying in the rain for a week and piss on it to get the dirt off, my rifle had better shoot it or I will get a different one.  I might just have the cheapest, most dissed ar there is(dpms lower, unkown upper, with any mag I find at the flea market). Probably ran 2000 rds of steel cased ammo with no problems.  Granted, I only shoot at 100 yd range and care about minute of milk jug.  If I have a critical long range shot, it will be with the Mosin.  As a friend once said, " It  aint a dog, I aint gonna pet it".

Now, to keep the old guys from having to say this for the thousandth time,  Dont mix up your ammo during the same outing.
If shooting steel cased ammo, stick with it for that day.
If you must change to brass, clean the rifle first.

If following these  procedures dosent work for you,  you may have a chamber size issue.  If a new rifle, break it in first.

Pardon the low post count.  I usually just listen ( I have gotten a lot of good info here)

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:12:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoot It
Clean It
Repeat as Needed

x2

Yep
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Their 7.62x39 is great, the .22 Match is really, really great and their .223 is just a little bit dirty.  

+1,000  Great target load.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:49:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been wanting to try Wolf in .223 for quite a while now, the only reason that I haven't is because of the range that I shoot at.

They don't allow any steel case ammo or 7.62x39, but for some reason they'll let you shoot up to a .50 caliber rifle, and it costs $24/hr.

I just might have to sneak some in and see how it shoots out of my Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:55:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Good to go. When I first got my Bushie and ammo was cheaper I shot a couple thousand rounds without a problem. I have not shot any other manufacturer out of my rifle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:57:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Every single person I've ever seen shoot wolf ammo has had their gun blow up in their face.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:53:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Works fine.  Groups about 3-4" out of a bolt gun. No issues out of several ARs and a .223 pump.

So it gets the gun dirty.  Big deal.  You should be cleaning it after ANY ammo anyway.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:05:04 AM EDT
[#37]
It works fine for me except in my M4 clone with an armalite upper. When it gets hot the empties tend to stick in the chamber. I can shoot 100 rounds or so before it starts to happen. Its no big deal, pull down the charging handle slightly and slam the buttstock on the ground, out it comes

For training ammo and range ammo its fine, dont stockpile it for SHTF purposes though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:05:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Great for range ammo, its dirty just like everyone said.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:07:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It wont shoot out of 6920s

I find it hard to believe that it will not run in ALL colts.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I haven't looked at prices in some months so if i'm way off don't shoot me.  

When Wolf was $120/1k I shot the shit out of it with no problems.  Last I looked it was like $300 ish for 1k.  Fuck that I'll by XM193 for $400/1k thank you.

If you can get it cheap it's good blasting/afternoon at the range ammo and nothing more.

ETA: And then reload the brass.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Fine for range stuff, but be ready to spend a long time bonding with your rifle for a few hours cleaning it.  I ran 80 rounds one day and it took 2.5 hours to clean it all away.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Fine for range stuff, but be ready to spend a long time bonding with your rifle for a few hours cleaning it.  I ran 80 rounds one day and it took 2.5 hours to clean it all away.

Either you clean really really slow or clean your stuff WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much.

If I only run 80 rounds through anything I don't even bother wiping it off.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Shoot the shit out of it.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#44]
i dont use for any type of great moa, but its fine for mag drops  It shoots fine out of the ar's i shoot it out of
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It wont shoot out of 6920s

reason #87 why not to buy a colt ar
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top