Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
As much as I enjoy reading things like that, and I have to say, that Final Salute article was so moving I was brought to tears

It's been a very long time since an article has made me cry, but that one did.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What's sad is that although that affects me, I am also stricken by the PLACEMENT of the photo and caption vis a viz the news story they placed there.

Remember that EVERYTHING about a front page is designed from the ground up to advance the theories and biases of the editor.  

The image and story are clearly designed to put to the audience the question of:   IS THIS WORTH IT?

Sadly, except for the guys who have left diaries and letters "to be opened in the event..." the most important voices, those who have given the ultimate sacrifice, do not get to weigh in on the question...

+1
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I guess I'm not human.  

That is one of the saddest things that I have ever seen, but it did not make me cry.  

Sometimes it just makes me more angry at those who are responsible.

Me either.  If I had seen it in person it would have torn me up (well, I feel somewhat crappy 'bout it now).  But (don't get this wrong) it'll always be a necessary evil as long as we need to send people in harms way.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]

As much as I enjoy reading things like that

You enjoy it? WTF?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not the hero he was made out to be?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but he took a small plywood boat up against Japanese cruisers and destroyers, right?

It seems some accounts of events are in doubt. The JFK bashers then use it to suggest the entire story was fabricated for political capital. For me if the story is true, or nearly true, then it is simply another mark of a great man and if the story is an exaggeration or complete fabrication then it is simply unfortunate as I don't believe it was necessary, he still served honorably.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top