BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

No option for ANY 6.5

Fail

It's called "Other - please specify".  Sheesh, the ARFgods only give us 9 poll options ....
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I would copy the ever lovin shit outta those turkish made 12s that are coming in and make them outta forged lowers and accept more AR parts like stocks and grips and rails etc.

You could make some bank.

You just made me think of something - Design an AR lower with a "fattened" magwell that will fit a 2 3/4" 12 gauge cartridge (maybe machined to fit Saiga mags?), then machine up a 223/5.56 magwell block that fits in that 12 gauge magwell as an option so you can fit your normal 223/5.56 AR uppers onto it.

Back to the drawing board ......
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Long version, open with 5.56 (and no not .223 or .223 Wylde). Offer either chrome lined or nitrided (I prefer the nitrided barrels for increased accuracy, increased whole barrel corrosion resistance and longevity) barrels with a 1/7 twist, Mid length gas system. Use F-marked FSB assembles with a bayonet lug that is properly drilled with taper pins oriented the correct direction. Have the barrel made out of 4150 CMV steel. You could go with a government profile or light weight (I am looking to do a lightweight build for my next project) profile. M4 feed ramps and a properly torqued barrel nut. Use a T-marked 7075T6 forged upper that is type II Hardcoat anodized. Shot peened HP/MPI tested Bolts, etc, etc.

Short version, offer a top tier rifle built, tested and held to a well defined standard with quality components at a price that is affordable with great customer service and you will do well. If you come out offering Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic Arms etc. level of quality, you won't be around long. There is a glut of "just as good as" rifles that aren't.  Quality wise you would want to be comfortably with in the BCM, DD, Spikes, Colt, LMT level of quality and slightly above the Bushy, DPMS level on pricing (really, it won't be that hard). Consider having an outside lab verify your standards. get your rifles out to people going to high end instruction/classes taught by respected instructors and tell them to run them hard. The unsolicited endorsements will speak louder than any snazzy internet marketing. That is how BCM got to be where it is. Built a reputation on no compromise with quality and customer service and the world will beat a path to your door. Shpw us you can handle the basics first, and do it well before branching out to "boutique calibers" no matter how cool 3 dudes on the internet thinks it will be. If you want a .gov contract build what they know, then after they see what you can do, think about adding some flavor to your line up.

Oh and I nearly forgot, keep away from garish logos. People should know they are handling your product based off of the quality and a small roll mark.

If you need a Beta tester, lemmme know.

Your short version is longer than your long version.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Stay with the prolific 223/5.56mm
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I would think a pistol caliber or .308 would be your best bet.
An AR-10 with a .32acp or 7.62x25mm conversion would be a pretty cool setup.

There are many, many affordable .223 options, and cheap .22lr conversion kits.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to see some LOWERS actually specific to the cartridge/magazine type that they should use. The market needs some lowers that properly utilize AK47 and AK74 magazines with the appropriate magazine release type worked in for them.

It's simple and utilizes cartridges that people actually use which is why we won't see it. They'd rather try to sell us some odd-ball cartridge that does just what the rounds before it did.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would copy the ever lovin shit outta those turkish made 12s that are coming in and make them outta forged lowers and accept more AR parts like stocks and grips and rails etc.

You could make some bank.

You just made me think of something - Design an AR lower with a "fattened" magwell that will fit a 2 3/4" 12 gauge cartridge (maybe machined to fit Saiga mags?), then machine up a 223/5.56 magwell block that fits in that 12 gauge magwell as an option so you can fit your normal 223/5.56 AR uppers onto it.

Back to the drawing board ......

I WANT IN!!!  I got spare time.

We need an AR-12.

Everything else is being done and done to death.

Ar-12 with as many cross compatible parts as possible to Ar-15 or Ar-10 as possible.

Could a lower be designed with a modular mag well?  Hmmm
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#9]
If you got the CNC and you want to run something UNIQUE do it first off in 5.56 and make UNIQUE cool markings on it. Too many manufacturers put stupid shit that looks like shit on their lowers, like honestly, no one gives a flying fuck that your company logo is all over my goddamn rifle.  Do roll marks for EVERY state flag and with the state motto underneath, have people show some pride.  Do lowers with no rollmarks except where needed.  Do lowers that are finished in DIFFERENT colors, or custom coatings.  Do rifles where it doesn't cost super extra for some shitty camo job.  Do rifles with specific goals in mind like this one is for varmits, this one is for distance shooting, this one is for cqb, this one is built for survival, this one is built to be rugged, etc.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd switch the bolt carrier from a sleeved cylinder to rails, reduce the total contact surface and increase the tolerances slightly.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'd switch the bolt carrier from a sleeved cylinder to rails, reduce the total contact surface and increase the tolerances slightly.

.  Stock carriers have rails.  Raised rails.  Look closely.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]
.22 lr upper.  Match grade but lightweight.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm gonna revise what I said yesterday. I think the 308 AR market is probably a better choice than the shorter rounds. The AR15 sized package is a pretty saturated market, the AR10 sized package is still limited in makers and I think the market is expanding for that product. A lot of folks that recently got into AR's seem to be interested and blocked by the cost and limited options.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Do an updated AR16, piston-driven 7.62 NATO.

A workin' man's Battle Rifle.   With adapter plate on the back to take STANAG 5.56 Mags for that caliber upper.  Mil-1913 rail on top, detachable BUIS. Rail Handguard optional.  Wood optional upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:43:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Make a new caliber, somewhere between 5.56 and 7.62x51. Make it perform marginally better than 7.62x39 but claim its the greatest caliber ever invented. The world needs more calibers like that... OH! the ammo needs to be expensive and hard to get too!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:16:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Make a new caliber, somewhere between 5.56 and 7.62x51. Make it perform marginally better than 7.62x39 but claim its the greatest caliber ever invented. The world needs more calibers like that... OH! the ammo needs to be expensive and hard to get too!!

You mean like a .277SPC?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#17]
.369 Stank.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:25:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
More folks making .308 would be nice.

'zactly what I was thinkin.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:28:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More folks making .308 would be nice.

'zactly what I was thinkin.

Me too.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#20]
AR-47 and AR-74 lowers that accept -47 and -74 commie mags.

I'd buy one from you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#21]
you still got the schematics for the .369 Stank?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#22]
.308?  An affordable  AR10 would be nice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
AR-47 and AR-74 lowers that accept -47 and -74 commie mags.

I'd buy one from you.

THIS x1000000

WHY hasn't someone come up with a reasonably priced MGI-style lower yet?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#24]
definitely a 7.62x39/5.45x39 that takes ak mags...thats the only thing the market is missing IMO..
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

308. Make it very nice and charge about a grand for it. I just don't want to spend that much for a DPMS. There doesn't seem to be much between a DPMS and a Larue.

Exactly! Need moar .308 ARs

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#26]
45 acp
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
308. Make it very nice and charge about a grand for it. I just don't want to spend that much for a DPMS. There doesn't seem to be much between a DPMS and a Larue.

Exactly! Need moar .308 ARs

y not just build your own?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#28]
You want to differentiate yourself from the pack while still offering something in a ubiquitous caliber.  I honestly think an AR-15 in 12 and 20 gauge would sell like hotcakes.  Make it use Saiga mags.  You'd have to jack around with the magwell, but it would so be worth it in the long run.  Everyone would want one of these bad boys.  Oh, and keep the price as low as possible to get lots of them out into the field instead of this just being something you make a few of here and there.  You could be THE shotgun AR-15 guy.

AV1611 out...........
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I would love to have a complete from the factory .45acp AR. It would be really awesome to have some magazine choices, particularly those that the HK UMP use (I like to be able to visibly check a mags level).
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
5.45x39 complete upper with chrome lined barrel or some sort of non corrosive lining on all parts

$400 - 550

I think one of the new site sponsors has something pretty close - are you opposed to a piston 5.45 upper?

http://www.huldraarms.com/uppers/product_76b374d367d8/

I'm betting others have something in that genre and in that price range as well.

Well shit, and here I had actually been doing good saving money.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
As you stated its an already crowded field so i went with "other" meaning that you should come up with something that sets you apart from all the others.

1st post nails it.

In today's world, with the market flooded with black rifles, the only way to build a run of the mill AR pattern rifle and stand out is to price it ridiculously cheap.

Something better would be to introduce an idea either no one else is doing, or very few other people are doing...

.45 cal carbine that accepts 1911 mags (or even glock, M&P HK etc mags)

Something of that nature, it may not be a completely original idea, but its not something a lot of people are doing (to my knowledge)

I think the best bet for an up and comer, would be to produce an upper (somewhere between $500 and $800) with these qualities along with a magazine adapter for the lower.

I think more people would be willing to sink a little cash into something they can slap onto an existing weapon, as opposed to dropping 1200 bucks on a whole new rifle

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

.369 Stank.

I tried googling that and got nothing.

Is that anyhow related to the 9.3x Mauser?

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks guys.  Got a good sample size here.

Some things that have popped out outside the poll parameters .......

1.  There is a HUGE hunger for more AR 308 designs and options

2.  Shotgun applications for the AR platform are limited (I think Safir's 410 is the only available option in that area)

3.  As for pistol caliber AR's, most seem to want the .45 with a mag adapter to use 1911 mags.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Bump for more polling.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

No. Wish I could find that archived thread.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#36]
7.62 x 54r.

Cheap commie surplus ammo, FTW!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd find something I felt was lacking in in options, like 9mm or try something completely different like the 5.7x28 uppers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does anyone have the Reader's Digest version?  I am intrigued now .......
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#39]
A bolt-action upper that can feed and chamber .308 or 30-06 length cartridges from side-feed magazines, preferably non-proprietary ones (KAC/PMag-20, FAL, M-14, or G3 mags for .308 length, or M1918 BAR mags for the 30-06-length cartridges).

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Specialize in new retro rifles. M16A1 style, A1 and A2 style carbines, ect.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does anyone have the Reader's Digest version?  I am intrigued now .......

A couple of years ago, Hero Gear in Winchester, TN hosted a focus group pending the rollout of their in-house produced AR15, the Hero 15. Arfcom Tennessee Hometown Forum members and members of Tennessee Gun Owners. I was lucky enough to attend, along with unit687, Hank, Kingpin_38506 and a bunch more. One suggestion was for proprietary calibers, even custom designed ones. That's when Joe Lundberg brought down the house with his comment, "You can design your own caliber, and we can build it as long as it fits the mag well. You could name it whatever you want, like... I don't know, .369 Stank."

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:24:42 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does anyone have the Reader's Digest version? I am intrigued now .......

A couple of years ago, Hero Gear in Winchester, TN hosted a focus group pending the rollout of their in-house produced AR15, the Hero 15. Arfcom Tennessee Hometown Forum members and members of Tennessee Gun Owners. I was lucky enough to attend, along with unit687, Hank, Kingpin_38506 and a bunch more. One suggestion was for proprietary calibers, even custom designed ones. That's when Joe Lundberg brought down the house with his comment, "You can design your own caliber, and we can build it as long as it fits the mag well. You could name it whatever you want, like... I don't know, .369 Stank."

http://../../../../images/smilies/anim_rofl.gif

I see .......... a joke.

Because there are projectiles in the 9.3mm/.366 range ......
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Then you only need one cartridge between your rifle and the greatest defensive handgun ever made!

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#44]
7.62x51mm NATO T65 Baby.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Trees.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
7.62x39 that takes AK mags

Without something out of the ordinary it would be like getting in the ink pen business.

You stole my answer.  

+1
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#46]
.300 AAC would be my vote.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  Got a good sample size here.

Some things that have popped out outside the poll parameters .......

1.  There is a HUGE hunger for more AR 308 designs and options

2.  Shotgun applications for the AR platform are limited (I think Safir's 410 is the only available option in that area)

3.  As for pistol caliber AR's, most seem to want the .45 with a mag adapter to use 1911 mags.

This is something that's always had me scratching my head. You can get factory AR's chambered in EVERYTHING except .45acp. I think there was one manufacturer who made them, but I don't think they are in production any more. If one were made with multiple magwell adapter blocks allowing a variety of magazines to be used (1911, M3 Greasegun, and HK UMP would be good to start with) I could see it being a hot seller. I know I'd probably get the complete weapon along with the M3 and HK magwell blocks.

Oh, and consider making a bolt-lock switch an option. .45 takes to suppression well, and the abillity to lock the bolt into a "manual' mode would be nice for use with a can.

For that matter, a pump action .45 carbine built around a suppressor (think of a sort of pump action DeLisle carbine) seems like it would have a market.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

You have to offer a rifle that shoots cheap ammunition right from the start; .223 Rem, 7.62X39, and .22 LR. Everything else will essentially be boutique rifles with low sales.

That's one of the reason I would favor a new caliber wherein the upper receiver is easily convertable into a cheap established caliber.  The chamber adapter (and possibly feed ramp extension) would have to be part of the bolt carrier assebly for rifle caliber conversions, but could be attached to a magwell block for pistol caliber conversions.  Someone mentioned making an AR 308 with a 7.62x25 conversion - I think that would rock!

Somehow you'll have to offer a rifle that is immune from the vagaries of fanboyz and gun writers, or you'll soon enough find your fine weapon relegated to the scrap pile of not tier 1 rifles, whether they can express a rational reason, or not.

Meh .... sometimes even luke-warm or controversial publicity is better than no publicity.

Frankly, I think there's some room for innovation in the upper receiver, float tubes, and butt stocks. You'll never get a consensus by polling a forum like this, in the end you have to configure a rifle then put your money at risk with a product. You'll have to be real smart to find something to set your product apart in a crowded field of very good rifles and accessories.

I like the idea of a semi-monolithic upper where the top part of the handguard tube is removable to access the gas block, gas tube or piston assembly.

You'll have to understand exactly why your rifle is better be able to articulate that reason, and be able to prove that with every example that leaves the shop.

Don't sell .22 LR conversions for uppers with .224 bore barrels with rifling that is too fast, that's just stupid.

I think most people know .22lr conversions are mostly for plinking and practice, although there was one guy here who was planning on using a .22lr conversion at a 3 gun match.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top