Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Amateurs blade.

Pros apply "Monkey Steals the Peach."

http://www.dkpw.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/groinslap.jpg

Well fuck. Now I have to go to Fry's and get a new keyboard....

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Show him my receipt, wait 5 seconds and go about my day. Seriously, I have more important shit going on in my life then to pretend feigned offense that the minimum wage jockey at the door is somehow a danger to me.

Some of you guys are like fucking children I swear.

i would suggest things called "Jobs" and "Education" with a dash of "Wife" and sprinkling of "Kids". Then you'll realize some fights just arent fucking worth fighting. One of those being the feigned offense and princess like tantrums people like to throw when the receipt checker comes over.

Then again, it is good for amusement on my part.

I'd have to agree with this.  It seems kind of silly to get in a pissing match with someone just doing their job, especially since the whole thing usually takes only seconds.  Then again, I have a job, education, wife, and kids so I don't sweat the small stuff .

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
FALSE IMPRISONMENT: (1) intent to confine, (2) confinement within fixed boundaries, (3) awareness or harm
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Jesus Christ, you guy don't know anything.  

One hand hold out the receipt.  The other one is wrapped around something cold and shiny.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lets say you are at a store that sells computer parts / other electronics.

You pay for your items, and as you attempt to leave the security guard asks for your receipt... you tell him "no thanks" and try to exit the door as he steps infront of it to block you.

You politely ask him to move out of your way and he refuses until you show him your receipt.

At this point you are being unlawfully detained.

What do you do?  Do you inform him you are being unlawfully detained and will call the police, do you call the police, do you push him out of the way ??

you were at Fry's obviously....and what they do is quite illegal. You can ask someone for their receipt to verify, and if they choose to show you then its all good. No foul. But if I buy something and am walking out, they CANNOT TOUCH you, detain you, or anything if you refuse to show them the receipt. If they do, they have crossed the legal boundary.

Actually, I'm 100% certain that varies by state.

In Virginia, retailers are allowed to legally detain someone for up to 1 hour if (1) they have reasonable suspicion or proof that you have attempted, or are attempting, to steal something, and (2) they have summoned the police in response to this detainment.

Now, this law doesn't give them authority to search you, but the security people are also not law enforcement, so if they do search you they aren't violating your 4th amendment rights (but you could sue them for it –– might not go anywhere, but you would probably find some grounds for it).

Once the police arrive, though, it's a game changer.  If the police review the evidence presented and determine that there is probable cause to conduct a search, or you consent to a search, they can legally do so.

All that, at least, was what I was taught in police academy when I was in VA.

But I'll give you the other side of the coin –– what I was taught years before that during training for a seasonal retail job:

Most retail clerks are trained to not follow or attempt to pursue a shoplifter if the individual leaves the store property.  There's too much liability for the company if an employee follows someone outside of business premises and gets injured.  A lawsuit of "They required me to pursue but did nothing to protect me or train me to protect myself" would likely go bad for the employer.

Just my 2 pennies.

_MaH
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Can we get this thread merged with the "Can I pay my college parking fine in pennies?" thread?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd have shown him the damn receipt and avoided a pointless confrontation that would have only drawn attention to myself.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]
When confronted with any kind of draw down or blading situation, I deploy the "Curly Defense"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y6YPjcQJ4g

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You pay for your items, and as you attempt to leave the security guard asks for your receipt... you tell him "no thanks" and try to exit the door as he steps infront of it to block you.

You politely ask him to move out of your way and he refuses until you show him your receipt.

What do you do?  Do you inform him you are being unlawfully detained and will call the police, do you call the police, do you push him out of the way ??

you were at Fry's obviously....and what they do is quite illegal. You can ask someone for their receipt to verify, and if they choose to show you then its all good. No foul. But if I buy something and am walking out, they CANNOT TOUCH you, detain you, or anything if you refuse to show them the receipt. If they do, they have crossed the legal boundary.

Depends;

Texas Code of Criminal Procedure
Art. 18.16. PREVENTING CONSEQUENCES OF THEFT.  Any person has a right to prevent the consequences of theft by seizing any personal property that has been stolen and bringing it, with the person suspected of committing the theft, if that person can be taken, before a magistrate for examination, or delivering the property and the person suspected of committing the theft to a peace officer for that purpose. To justify a seizure under this article, there must be reasonable ground to believe the property is stolen, and the seizure must be openly made and the proceedings had without delay.

Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code
Sec. 124.001.  DETENTION.  A person who reasonably believes that another has stolen or is attempting to steal property is privileged to detain that person in a reasonable manner and for a reasonable time to investigate ownership of the property.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I was really being unlawfully detained in the state of Florida I have the right to use force.
You have your receipt and everything in your bag belongs to you right?Defend yourself.

But it's hard to be detained in the doorway of a store.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#11]
show him the reciept, he's just doing his job
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I just show them the recipt.  Who gives a shit, I paid for it, the poor guy or gal at the door is making a few bucks putting a yellow line or punching a hole in your reciept.  Big deal, they put the mark on the slip and tell me to have a nice day.  That shit has been going on in this state for twenty years now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd show him my receipt, but then again I don't walk around being purposefully belligerent towards other people for no reason.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yea it sounds like he was at fry's.

i go there enough to know to have my receipt ready at the door.  takes about .5 seconds, as they don't really look, they just check off the receipt.

stopping for .5 seconds is a lot better then having a discussion with the minimum wage Loss prevention personal over unlawful detention.

but in ARFcom fashion you should have bladed at 45* and said,  "YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY LIMITED EDITION COPY OF WORLD OF WAR CRAFT!!!!11"

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I was really being unlawfully detained in the state of Florida I have the right to use force.
You have your receipt and everything in your bag belongs to you right?Defend yourself.

I see jail in your future.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Show him my receipt, wait 5 seconds and go about my day. Seriously, I have more important shit going on in my life then to pretend feigned offense that the minimum wage jockey at the door is somehow a danger to me.

i would suggest things called "Jobs" and "Education" with a dash of "Wife" and sprinkling of "Kids". Then you'll realize some fights just arent fucking worth fighting. One of those being the feigned offense and princess like tantrums people like to throw when the receipt checker comes over.

+1

The internet tough guy routine is good for a laugh though!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Then you'll realize some fights just arent fucking worth fighting.

That's weak to the extreme.

Some would call it adult behavior, common sense, and good tactical practice.

Obviously, YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fire a warning shot across her nose.

"I said across her nose, not up it!"

"Sorry sir, I'm doing my best."
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#19]
YOU WILL NOT TOUCH ME! YOU WIL NOT TOUCH MY WEAPON!   then have a massive adrenaline dump
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Then you'll realize some fights just arent fucking worth fighting.

That's weak to the extreme.

Right, and when you grow up and get out of high school you'll realize you dont have 15 minutes, let alone 2 hours, to waste fucking around over a receipt. I barely have 10 minutes to enjoy a shit, let alone all the time in the world to argue something as pointless and whats printed on my receipt.

Heres a news flash. If you dont hesitate and hand them the receipt you know they usually dont even verify line by line right? In fact I've had times when I had them the receipt and they dont even CHECK my bags, they just nod and away I go.

Of course knowing that I have nothing to prove to the world and knowing that my time is in fact valuable I have no problems playing the silly "Check the receipt" game because it gets me out the door and on my way. I fully expect immature jackasses with part time jobs and such to make a scene about it though. Its what they do. Much like how gang bangers have to wear their pants half off their ass to prove to the world just how badass they are, so to does the Walmart tactical juvenile commando have to start shit with the old guy checking receipts.

Heres to you, Real Men of Badassness.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As this happens all the time to me....... At BJ's Wholesale I just look at the usually elderly person and say here ya go.... they look at my reciept, punch a little hole in it and wish me a great day or afternoon or morning depending on the time of day I decided to go shopping.

Seriously, unless he was putting his hands on me or was being overly aggressive I would just show him my reciept. It's not like I'm some high end jewelry thief with a hidden lair on the Turks Cacaus islands for goodness sakes. I just needed some shaving cream and diapers from Walmart.

You signed a contract with them to do it.

I don't mind doing it at some stores if there is no line.  But when the line is 15 deep at Christmas, and I just waited in line for 10 minutes...no thanks, I just walk through and tell them no thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd get a really worried look on my face, run in the opposite direction, screaming "you'll never catch me coppers."  Then see whether or not you can lose them in the aisles while stripping merchandise off the shelves to thwart their pursuit.

Seriously, I show them the receipt.  Like Specop said, I've got a lot more important things to deal with than creating a confrontation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say that you are being unlawfully detained. Then call the cops if he doesn't move. There's no need to risk the possibility of an assault and battery charge over this.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Thats what I figured, I dont think this would happen to me as I am not a tiny guy.

But at the same time you never know, I was reading a story about this happening, and they would not allow the person to leave and taunted him as well.

Heres the link to the story, it is kind of old but I just was wondering what you guys would do in this situation.

http://consumerist.com/2007/08/tigerdirect-unlawfully-restrains-and-verbally-abuses-customer-for-not-submitting-to-receipt-showing.html

One thing to know about Fry's is that they WILL USE FORCE to detain you if they think you are stealing. Now, keep in mind, someone who just walked out from the checkout counter usually wont be getting "Halo'd" (their term for how they do takedowns as soon as the perpetrator takes his first step outside of the store).  The "Halo" is basically several employees planted outside the store in a half circle, the Internal Frys Investigator person will walk up, show you his fake Fry's police badge, and say you need to come back in the store with him. If you try and run, they will just tackle you in whichever direction you flee. If you make it off the property without being detained (illegaly), they will stop chasing via Fry's policy.

Ive never been into a "fry's" but would love to see that.

where have these security guards learned there "tackling" techniques?

Were they collegiate football players?  Or all state wrestlers?

Would love to see them try to perform that technique on a huge running back / all state wrestler LOL....  would enjoy seeing the person sprawling and having the security guards face plant into the concrete.

If lost prevention see's someone trying to steal, they grab random employees who they think would be capable to perform a "take down". Their is no training for those employees, other than the "takedown" videos they would show in training. It is a very dangerous practice, and I am quite surprised Fry's has been able to keep from getting sued into oblivion.

I was thinking more a guy getting taken down and his wife/girlfriend/buddy pulling a CCW and preventing a crime on the object of Fry's attention.

You can bet nobody outside of a uniformed officer is going to do that to my son unchallenged.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Didn't you ask this question like 4 months ago, minus the "electronics store" part?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Just show 'em the damn receipt, macho man!

How long have you been a shoplifter?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I take out my receipt as I walk towards the door, and show it to him. But I don't stop walking. As he peers at the receipt, I step around him, and out the door.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I take out my receipt as I walk towards the door, and show it to him. But I don't stop walking. As he peers at the receipt, I step around him, and out the door.

Generally I put the receipt in my wallet at the checkout as soon as the cashier hands it to me.

"Sorry, but my hands are full and I'm in a hurry." and I keep walking.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you do? Do you inform him you are being unlawfully detained and will call the police, do you call the police, do you push him out of the way ??

Jesus...some of you guys actually think you can shoot somebody for blocking a doorway?

There is an old Common Law precedent calle "Shopkeeper's Priviledge" which many states have now codified in one form or another. It allows them to legally detain you if they have evidence of a theft. They better be able to prove it or that defense to False Imprisonment is nullified. It's a Tort

But unless someone makes you 'fear for your life or the infliction of great bodily harm'....you can't fucking shoot the reciept checker for blocking the door....unless you're up for 20 years of hot buttsecks with Bubba and the boys. None fer me, thanx!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you do? Do you inform him you are being unlawfully detained and will call the police, do you call the police, do you push him out of the way ??

Jesus...some of you guys actually think you can shoot somebody for blocking a doorway?

There is an old Common Law precedent calle "Shopkeeper's Priviledge" which many states have now codified in one form or another. It allows them to legally detain you if they have evidence of a theft. They better be able to prove it or that defense to False Imprisonment is nullified. It's a Tort

But unless someone makes you 'fear for your life or the infliction of great bodily harm'....you can't fucking shoot the reciept checker for blocking the door....unless you're up for 20 years of hot buttsecks with Bubba and the boys. None fer me, thanx!

Not wanting to show a receipt is not evidence of theft.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I refuse to show the receipt in hope to create diversion, hoping that my partner in crime will get away with the big haul...
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#33]
In some states the stores have a legal right to detain you.

Know your local laws.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Actually, I'm 100% certain that varies by state.

In Virginia, retailers are allowed to legally detain someone for up to 1 hour if (1) they have reasonable suspicion or proof that you have attempted, or are attempting, to steal something, and (2) they have summoned the police in response to this detainment.

Now, this law doesn't give them authority to search you, but the security people are also not law enforcement, so if they do search you they aren't violating your 4th amendment rights (but you could sue them for it –– might not go anywhere, but you would probably find some grounds for it).

Once the police arrive, though, it's a game changer. If the police review the evidence presented and determine that there is probable cause to conduct a search, or you consent to a search, they can legally do so.

All that, at least, was what I was taught in police academy when I was in VA.

But I'll give you the other side of the coin –– what I was taught years before that during training for a seasonal retail job:

Most retail clerks are trained to not follow or attempt to pursue a shoplifter if the individual leaves the store property. There's too much liability for the company if an employee follows someone outside of business premises and gets injured. A lawsuit of "They required me to pursue but did nothing to protect me or train me to protect myself" would likely go bad for the employer.

Just my 2 pennies.

_MaH

How messy do you think things are going to get if a none LEO conducts a search on someone, discovers their CCW, and tries to take it from them?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends;

Texas Code of Criminal Procedure
Art. 18.16. PREVENTING CONSEQUENCES OF THEFT.  Any person has a right to prevent the consequences of theft by seizing any personal property that has been stolen and bringing it, with the person suspected of committing the theft, if that person can be taken, before a magistrate for examination, or delivering the property and the person suspected of committing the theft to a peace officer for that purpose. To justify a seizure under this article, there must be reasonable ground to believe the property is stolen, and the seizure must be openly made and the proceedings had without delay.

Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code
Sec. 124.001.  DETENTION.  A person who reasonably believes that another has stolen or is attempting to steal property is privileged to detain that person in a reasonable manner and for a reasonable time to investigate ownership of the property.

So they assume EVERYONE in the store has stolen something?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm going with less than lethal taser or pepper spray when they touch you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
is there some reason not to just take 2 seconds and show the receipt?

is there some reason i should?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This. I bought a DVD player at Wal-mart and the cashier gave me my receipt. I held the receipt in my hand and when the guy at the dorr started to approach me, I raised my hand to show him the receipt. A quick glance and he said thanks have a nice evening. I stopped for maybe five seconds tops.  I was very dissappointed.. I so wanted him to start some shit with me so I could come on here and post about how I harrassed a 65 year old man, but the old bastard pulled the "polite and civilized" routine...sneaky old fart....
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This...
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I had a thuglet at WalMart stand in front of me @ 1130 one night. I had forgotten I was shooting the next day and wanted some clays to shoot at.

I handed mr baggypants two full boxes of clay targets while I took my time digging the reciept out of my pocket.
He didn't think about putting them in the cart or sitting them down...until he dropped both boxes.
I asked for his manager, and he went to the back and got me another two boxes and carried them to my truck.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'd simply ask him why, is there a problem? I don't really care if they want to look at my receipt at Fry's or Sams Club.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I take three seconds out of my busy day to show him the damned reciept and go about my business. It's not like I lost it in the ten seconds it took me to walk from the register to the door.

Let sand not invade your vagitudinal area.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I will sit back for a few seconds and let some likely looking ass set a pick for me. While he is giving door checker a hard time with his blading and all the rest, I walk out behind him, never showing anyone my reciept.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I don't even have the wife and kids thing to worry about, and I know how utterly retarded it is to worry about something so utterly trivial.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
1) show him the reciept.
2) As he is ready said receipt, kick him squarely in the nuts.
3) go through his pockets for cash.
4) Run from store yelling durka durka durka!

Best answer yet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#46]
It would be really funny to see someone pull out about 100 receipts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't mind the receipt-checkers, except one told me to "hurry up" as I was getting it out once, so I went to customer service and returned all of my purchases.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

THANK YOU!

Some of you will just look for any reason to fight someone.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say that you are being unlawfully detained. Then call the cops if he doesn't move. There's no need to risk the possibility of an assault and battery charge over this.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Thats what I figured, I dont think this would happen to me as I am not a tiny guy.

But at the same time you never know, I was reading a story about this happening, and they would not allow the person to leave and taunted him as well.

Heres the link to the story, it is kind of old but I just was wondering what you guys would do in this situation.

http://consumerist.com/2007/08/tigerdirect-unlawfully-restrains-and-verbally-abuses-customer-for-not-submitting-to-receipt-showing.html

One thing to know about Fry's is that they WILL USE FORCE to detain you if they think you are stealing. Now, keep in mind, someone who just walked out from the checkout counter usually wont be getting "Halo'd" (their term for how they do takedowns as soon as the perpetrator takes his first step outside of the store).  The "Halo" is basically several employees planted outside the store in a half circle, the Internal Frys Investigator person will walk up, show you his fake Fry's police badge, and say you need to come back in the store with him. If you try and run, they will just tackle you in whichever direction you flee. If you make it off the property without being detained (illegaly), they will stop chasing via Fry's policy.

Ive never been into a "fry's" but would love to see that.

where have these security guards learned there "tackling" techniques?

Were they collegiate football players?  Or all state wrestlers?

Would love to see them try to perform that technique on a huge running back / all state wrestler LOL....  would enjoy seeing the person sprawling and having the security guards face plant into the concrete.

There would be a lot of dead Fry's employees and I'd have my day in court.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

yea it sounds like he was at fry's.

i go there enough to know to have my receipt ready at the door.  takes about .5 seconds, as they don't really look, they just check off the receipt.

stopping for .5 seconds is a lot better then having a discussion with the minimum wage Loss prevention personal over unlawful detention.

but in ARFcom fashion you should have bladed at 45* and said,  "YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY LIMITED EDITION COPY OF WORLD OF WAR CRAFT!!!!11"

I've NEVER shown a Fry's checker my receipt.  And never run into the loss prevention team.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top