Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
What is written in the lease?

Does it say the tenant pays for any damage he causes?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Option A with a throw rug offered

or

Option B with a warning that should the dog repeat this again, the pro-rate cost on the new carpet would suck for him big time
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Now you are bringing up state specific laws and shit. You can write that into the lease all you want, in a lot of states normal wear and tear laws trump that all day long.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Option B is more than fair. If you have a good tenant KEEP the tenant, and be fucking grateful. I know that might cheese off a lot of people, but I have a GREAT relationship with my landlord. I fix most stuff myself, etc. As a result, he is extremely generous on "normal wear and tear". I protect his 4-plex, he takes care of me. I almost went with option C, because hey man, you let a pet owner move in. Which is kind of herp derp on you. I would love to have a dog to help with the hunting, but I would NEVER bring an animal into a property belonging to someone else.

My $.02.

Not allowing dogs in your rentals will eliminate over half of your potential tenants.  That means longer vancancy times between tenants and that equals cash out of your pocket.

I screen for my landlord. It is NOWHERE NEAR half.

ETA: Depends actually. If it is a single family home, your statement is probably highly accurate.

I only rent single family homes.

Makes a whole load more sense then. To an extent. The place I help my LL with is a 4plex, and 3 of the units have decently sized yards, and we still don't get many people who have dogs applying. Mostly cat owners, which are absolutely refused immediately because they will easily ruin a place worse than any dog. Most dog owners reject apartments all the way to duplexes out of hand.

I stand corrected sir!

Cats do not make it into my homes for the same reason that you stated.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Option B is your answer. Be glad he isn't using the carpet for ass wipe. The tenant, not the dog.

DP
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not seeing the difference between B+C

14 year old carpet is worth $0 in most cases.

I think you got 4 bonus years out of the carpet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Its hard to find a good tenant.

If the carpet is old and due to be replaced anyway I would fix it. I would also let him know that it's on him if it happens again.

As a landlord myself I would go with C.  The Carpet is way past overdue to be replaced (14 years for carpet ).  Good tenants are harder to find than an honest mechanic.  You will save more money in the long run keeping this guy happy.

No kidding. They may have torn the carpet so you would have to replace it.

We have a good long term tenant in one of our houses. They are not very common.

I've found that the quality of the landlord goes a long ways in determining the quality of the tenants.

That's why I have several long term tenants.  Earlier this year, I had one of my tenants tell me that they didn't like their house anymore because it was too small, but they aren't going to move because they like renting from me.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes...at the previously mentioned pro-rated cost.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Option B is more than fair. If you have a good tenant KEEP the tenant, and be fucking grateful. I know that might cheese off a lot of people, but I have a GREAT relationship with my landlord. I fix most stuff myself, etc. As a result, he is extremely generous on "normal wear and tear". I protect his 4-plex, he takes care of me. I almost went with option C, because hey man, you let a pet owner move in. Which is kind of herp derp on you. I would love to have a dog to help with the hunting, but I would NEVER bring an animal into a property belonging to someone else.

My $.02.

Not allowing dogs in your rentals will eliminate over half of your potential tenants.  That means longer vancancy times between tenants and that equals cash out of your pocket.

ETA: Depends actually. If it is a single family home, your statement is probably highly accurate.

Makes a whole load more sense then. To an extent. The place I help my LL with is a 4plex, and 3 of the units have decently sized yards, and we still don't get many people who have dogs applying. Mostly cat owners, which are absolutely refused immediately because they will easily ruin a place worse than any dog. Most dog owners reject apartments all the way to duplexes out of hand.

I stand corrected sir!

God now I need a shower. I did an eviction for my LL at a house down the street and it topped everything I had ever been grossed out by on hoarders. Even though all their stuff was gone. Two days after they left I was cleaning it out and the smell was.... yeah. Being the champion badass I am I went into the attic. I found 4 of their "beloved fluffy's" in the attic alive and well, but we ended up having to remove the roof, ceiling, walls, and floors of the attic and rebuild it because of the piss alone. Vile creatures.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd normally agree, but this carpet was in very good shape despite its age.

But legally, yeah - it's not worth much.

If he had moved out, it would look presentable for the next tenant.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Passing off 14 year old carpet on a new tenant, regardless of how it looks, is pretty shady, and setting them up for disaster.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My $.02.

I stand corrected sir!

God now I need a shower. I did an eviction for my LL at a house down the street and it topped everything I had ever been grossed out by on hoarders. Even though all their stuff was gone. Two days after they left I was cleaning it out and the smell was.... yeah. Being the champion badass I am I went into the attic. I found 4 of their "beloved fluffy's" in the attic alive and well, but we ended up having to remove the roof, ceiling, walls, and floors of the attic and rebuild it because of the piss alone. Vile creatures.

My record so far is zero evictions, zero monies owed.

(knock on wood)
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#13]
As a former landlord I opted for C.

The carpet was old. Replace it as an act of good faith.

However, I would give the tenant the choice of options A or C, but I would explain that if he chose C any future replacement (assuming similar circumstances and that the carpet wasn't 10 or more years old) would be under the scheme of your option B.

Note to self: Must renew membership.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that was a good thing for you.

Let's also remember he's been there for 5 years, and didn't cause undue wear on the capret.

But, you have to go with what a 14 year old carpet is worth.

Even in good shape it is fully depriciated.

If you want to make him pay, you pay for the carpet and split the install cost with him.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If the carpet is old and due to be replaced anyway I would fix it. I would also let him know that it's on him if it happens again.

This for the carpet.

However you mentioned prorating appliances.
Unless it was actually my fault (which it never has been).
In each house/ apt. I've ever rented, appliances are 100% the landlord responsibility if they fail.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Passing off 14 year old carpet on a new tenant, regardless of how it looks, is pretty shady, and setting them up for disaster.

It's not "passing off" old carpet.  The tenants do a walk-through the home and if they don't like the appearance, they move on to the other scores of homes available.  If it was my home, I would not replace the carpet because it still looked presentable.  If it didn't look good, I would replace it.

My record of filling homes quickly is good because I keep the homes looking sharp and crisp.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#17]
sir, i present you with option D.

tenant is a good one, correct?  he reported this to you up front, without it having to be discovered at move out, correct?  

he's got dogs, and he's been there for 5 years, right?  carpet's toast.  between fleas, dog hair, dirt, and the occasional puddle, it's toast.  tell him you keep his pet deposit, and put a tile floor in the area, no cost to him, and seal it with 15 year sealer, no further cost to him.  suck the rest of it up.  

if a future renter comes in and wants to have carpet, you can go in right over the tile at his/her expense.  if not, you got a relatively impermeable hard surface to work with.

just my 2 cents.  if you live in ohio, minnesota or north dakota, this prolly ain't gonna work, but it'd be my first choice in texas.  i had good renters that i kept for about 8 years in my old house.  after about 2 years, i sent their december cheque back to 'em for a christmas present.  no one ever took better care of my place than those folks did.  gave me 2 mos. notice of move-out.   repaired a gas line and a water line themselves, i just had to pay for parts.  cheapo.  they dug up the yard, fixed the lines, put back the dirt and sod.  then told me about it.  

i'm awful good to those that are good to me.  often, when i'm dealing with guys like you describe, i'm overly good in order to get good back.  

see what he thinks.  tile's just about impermeable, unless someone hammers it up.  cold, though.  

just a suggestion.  do what you want.  

life's good, this is just another choice, and my 2 cents.  

-tom
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#18]
You might also want to determine whether or not there is a really nice trade labor or barter you can exploit here ;)
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This for the carpet.

However you mentioned prorating appliances.
Unless it was actually my fault (which it never has been).
In each house/ apt. I've ever rented, appliances are 100% the landlord responsibility if they fail.

Correct, except in cases of abuse or if the item is missing.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

tenant is a good one, correct?  he reported this to you up front, without it having to be discovered at move out, correct?  

he's got dogs, and he's been there for 5 years, right?  carpet's toast.  between fleas, dog hair, dirt, and the occasional puddle, it's toast.  tell him you keep his pet deposit, and put a tile floor in the area, no cost to him, and seal it with 15 year sealer, no further cost to him.  suck the rest of it up.  

if a future renter comes in and wants to have carpet, you can go in right over the tile at his/her expense.  if not, you got a relatively impermeable hard surface to work with.

just my 2 cents.  if you live in ohio, minnesota or north dakota, this prolly ain't gonna work, but it'd be my first choice in texas.  i had good renters that i kept for about 8 years in my old house.  after about 2 years, i sent their december cheque back to 'em for a christmas present.  no one ever took better care of my place than those folks did.  gave me 2 mos. notice of move-out.   repaired a gas line and a water line themselves, i just had to pay for parts.  cheapo.  they dug up the yard, fixed the lines, put back the dirt and sod.  then told me about it.  

i'm awful good to those that are good to me.  often, when i'm dealing with guys like you describe, i'm overly good in order to get good back.  

see what he thinks.  tile's just about impermeable, unless someone hammers it up.  cold, though.  

-tom

I was going to say tile too, but I wouldn't do it in a rental property where dogs are allowed. Regardless of sealer, scrubbing dog shit out of grout is nasty work. Read my above posts before asking me how I know.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would ask him what he wanted to do.

If he wants to live with the carpet, then leave it as is. Depending on how much longer he lives there, deal with pet deposit/prorated replacement accordingly.

If he wants to replace it, prorate the cost and explain to him that it is on him 100% if the dog tears up the new rug.

Amazing that you got that long out of builder grade carpet. Most is not that high quality.

Builders grade is low quality.  However, it can be kept presentable with care and cleaning.

My own home still has builders grade carpeting in it and I'm at the 8-year mark.  I find it difficult to get rid of something that still has servicable life in it.  (That's why I'm hoping that my jet-engine powered Noise-o-matic dishwasher will finally die - so I can get a new quiet Bosch.)

had a buddy with a Bosch.  worked for 2 years perfectly, to the day.  crapped out.  Official Bosch Rep came out and said "bad computer.  $800 to fix".  dishwasher was $1200 to begin with.  buddy said "F U AROCK" and went and bought a sears kenmore for $400.  still working fine 8 years later.  middle of the line model.  Nuttin' Fancy.  little noisier than Bosch, but it works all the time and gets dishes clean.  

my 2 centavos.  

-tom
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
If the carpet has been there for 13 years, then replace it - but let the tenant know that future repairs or replacement will be on him if the new stuff gets ruined - or offer him the option of laminate instead with the same caveat.

Agreed.

I don't have experience with laminate and wonder how it would wear with two sets of dog toenails running across it every day.  Also, I imagine the cost would be more than my carpet estimate.

Higher up front cost but it will last longer/clean easier.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If the carpet has been there for 13 years, then replace it - but let the tenant know that future repairs or replacement will be on him if the new stuff gets ruined - or offer him the option of laminate instead with the same caveat.

This
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#24]
B   If he's a good tenant, he's worth keeping.  Carpet is circa 1997 and now it's 2011, almost '12.     I'd say you got your use out of it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

-tom

Tile is an option, but a limiting option.  One of the homes that I rent has tile and it's harder to rent because folks want carpet.

I agree with you on taking care of the tenants.  I like to joke around and keep everyone happy.  

I've always felt that the overbearing, authoritarian landlord sets himself up for troubles later on.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd leave it and replace it when they move, taking their security deposit to cover it
or charge them at least 25% of the cost if they demand it be fixed now, and then if no further damage is done when they move give them back their security deposit minus any normal take outs for other damage/wear that you would normally charge for other than the carpet
did the dog eat what it tore up? if not they can glue it back down and live with it

if it was normal wear and tear causing the carpet to look bad I'd say you pay the full amount, as that would be the cost of doing business. But this was due to the tenant so you shouldn't have to eat the full cost

but then, I'm not a landlord and potential hassles like this are one of the reasons I decided against getting a double and renting the other half when I was looking for my first house
sure on paper I could have covered my whole mortgage payment with the rent I charged but I didn't want the headaches
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd ask him what he wants to do.

Look at it this way... whenever he moves, you're on the hook for carpet after 5+ years.  If he wants to leave it as-is, do a patch job, replace that one room with something inexpensive... let him do that, and you fix it "right" for the next tenant.  Or, if he wants it fixed right, work something out with him, considering that his dog caused the damage, the 5 years, how good of a tenant he is, etc.

For a good tenant who wants to stay, I'd be pretty flexible.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Could do Pergo and never worry about it again!B would be my choice
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You might also want to determine whether or not there is a really nice trade labor or barter you can exploit here ;)

He's working with the Marshall Service capturing fugitives.

I currently have no need for fugitives nor do I anticipate a future need.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-tom

I was going to say tile too, but I wouldn't do it in a rental property where dogs are allowed. Regardless of sealer, scrubbing dog shit out of grout is nasty work. Read my above posts before asking me how I know.

no, i read your post, and i respect that.  dried dog crap in grout must suck.  at that point, it's power washer time, in my book.  a hoarder is another word for a SCURVY BASTARD.

however, commercial VCT or unseamed vinyl is also an option.  

work with the guy is what i'm sayin'.  

-tom
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

I don't have experience with laminate and wonder how it would wear with two sets of dog toenails running across it every day.  Also, I imagine the cost would be more than my carpet estimate.

Doggie toenails concern me.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
B   If he's a good tenant, he's worth keeping.  Carpet is circa 1997 and now it's 2011, almost '12.     I'd say you got your use out of it.

Agreed.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go with A.

If it's in a spot that can't be covered and he really wants it replaced, I'd go with B.

Never C.

It's right smack dab in the middle of the livingroom.  

Replacing the living room carpet will cost $2500?

That is either one huge ass living room or your taste in carpet exceeds rental property grade....

Or are you talking about redoing the whole house?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you could be like my landlord and have your best tenant do all of your dirty work for you ;) His training sure sounds better than my CPL and eventually you WILL have to deal with someone who doesn't want to leave. ;)
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

Doggie toenails concern me.

As should doggie "liquids".

I would rather have bare concrete than torn up laminate wood flooring.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I wish my landlord was like you.

If I damaged the property, I would expect to pay full price to repair it. That being said, I wouldn't want to move into a place with 12 year old, pet stained carpet. I would offer to just let the damage be for now and replace the carpet when he moves out, no cost to him (because it should be replaced anyway, right?). I would also offer to replace the carpet, but he would be on the hook for any damage when he moves out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go with A.

If it's in a spot that can't be covered and he really wants it replaced, I'd go with B.

Never C.

That is either one huge ass living room or your taste in carpet exceeds rental property grade....

If I go in and replace the livingroom, I'm going to do the entire house.  I'm not going to come back in two years and do this again.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Dog nails wont hurt decent laminates.Dog piss left unattended will!I have two boys and two dogs with no damage after 5 years abuse!
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you could be like my landlord and have your best tenant do all of your dirty work for you ;) His training sure sounds better than my CPL and eventually you WILL have to deal with someone who doesn't want to leave. ;)

I screen my tenants very well.  I've never had an eviction yet.  Not to mention, most of my renters are military and I speak militarese fluently.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go with A.

Never C.

If I go in and replace the livingroom, I'm going to do the entire house.  I'm not going to come back in two years and do this again.

I understand where you are coming from, but as another poster pointed out, what if you replace the whole house and the dog takes a liking to the brand new crapet in the MB next?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If I damaged the property, I would expect to pay full price to repair it. That being said, I wouldn't want to move into a place with 12 year old, pet stained carpet. I would offer to just let the damage be for now and replace the carpet when he moves out, no cost to him (because it should be replaced anyway, right?). I would also offer to replace the carpet, but he would be on the hook for any damage when he moves out.

State laws vary widely.  

...and my carpets are not pet-stained.  I have a guy that I use for all of my homes and he does especially good work because of the amount of business I push his way.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go with A.

Never C.

I understand where you are coming from, but as another poster pointed out, what if you replace the whole house and the dog takes a liking to the brand new crapet in the MB next?

Yep.  That's one loose end that I still have rattling around in my noggin.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
B.

He will appreciate not having to pay all of it and having new carpet.

BUT

You guys need to have a talk and an understanding over what happens when dog does this again to the clean fresh new chew toy your laying down for him...

This.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I screen my tenants very well.  I've never had an eviction yet.  Not to mention, most of my renters are military and I speak militarese fluently.

In that case, I hope you realize how amazingly lucky you are. I have always hated being a renter, and until I went to work for my current landlord and made friends with him, I hated landlords. I thought they were all greedy slumlord cocksuckers. This has been his only job for longer than I have been alive. It is absolutely fucking thankless, and the sense of entitlement most renters have is absurd. I have learned enough from this guy to build my own fucking spaceship at this point, but also learned that being a landlord is not the thing for me. You are very lucky to have the kind of track record you do. Don't get too cheap or it will go in the toilet.

On a funny note though, he won my 4-plex on a superbowl bet eons ago. Used the equity to build his empire. Crazy story.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So if you crashed into a 1984 Yugo sedan, you would be ok with paying $7500 to fix the damage, knowing that the whole car is worth $250 on a good day?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I dont know where you live that recarpeting a room costs $2500. You might want to shop around and then haggle some. We got a stain resistant carpet with a 15 year warranty installed in 2 rooms 18x12,12x12  and a hallway about 10x3 of a rental unit for $1100 complete cost. In one of our units
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Five years is a long time to have a tenant, 14 years is more than I would hope for the life expectancy of carpet in a rental. I'd be tempted to be overly generous to keep a good tenant happy.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#48]

To put it in perspective, I just finished a job where I repainted a rental. The walls had marks and hand prints all over them. . The brand new carpet that was installed 6 months ago was trashed beyond salvage from the now former tenant.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#49]
For 5 years of trouble free tenancy I would be more than happy to replace the guy's carpet.  Option C.  You never know when you're going to get a psycho tenant and good ones are worth keeping.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Nevermind, question was already asked and answered.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top