Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
DID I MISS IT!!!???

IF SO, WHENS IT GOING TO BE ON NEXT!!!???
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The M-16 will be on its way out eventually....

But think of this - in the past decade, we have seen HUNDREDS of improvements and modifications to the M-16 and M4. This trend is only growing, building up OUR economy, as well as refining one of the most heavily refined systems around.

We also have about 3-5 new AR designs out there, many of which are probably just as reliable as the XM-8. Think about it - take away the reliability advantage, and what more do you have in the little German gun?

Not much. Current weapons can do everything, and I repeat EVERYTHING it can, except for the 20,000 round thing.

Then again, that is how many rounds get logged thru the average military rifle in a YEAR. Who cares if it can do that? To fire that many rounds without cleaning is pure negligence.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, if the plastic holds up as well as the aluminum of a M16 (or at least adaquately), then it isn't all that bad of a move. BUT, all its giving is a piston driven upper, something that has been developed and reworked for the M16 series already. The lower from the M16 seems to be fairly rubust, and the magazines function as well as the newer designs. With all that said, new pistol driven uppers could be bought for a majority of the rifles in service, pick the nicest M16's and M4's and move them to stationary defense positions, like guarding an airforce base or a supply depot. Not like they are going to see the kinda shit a marine will put it through.

So now that I've bounced all over my point, it makes more sence to make a piston driven system for the M16 then to build a piston driven rifle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
They go "pssssssssssss" until they are empty.
Shoot them with tracers, same thing.
Now tape a lit road flare to it....

Quoted:
What happens when you shoot a propane can?

I have always wondered.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya know, looks aside, i don't really have anything against that midsize XM-8.

But why spend the money on replacing it, when what you have works just fine?

like i said before, if it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]
done the same thing and had the same results. i taped a sparkler (firework) to it to ignite it when shot.

Quoted:
They go "pssssssssssss" until they are empty.
Shoot them with tracers, same thing.
Now tape a lit road flare to it....

Quoted:

I have always wondered.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
DID I MISS IT!!!???

IF SO, WHENS IT GOING TO BE ON NEXT!!!???

yup, ya missed it.

Basically, they praised it, saying that they are taking nothing from the m16 m4 platform, that it is a good platform, but it is time to move on.

Lee Ermey got in some trigger time (of course) and said it was like spraying with a hose, because it doesn't hardly move when fired.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#8]
what about a gas can?  filled up of course.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#9]
it will be on again in an hour (or two) History allways repeats their prime time shows.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys are a bunch of XM-H8ters!

Na, I don't like it either.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#11]
1:00 CST is the nxt showing

did emry mention that it was GERMAN deesigned and made?

wonder how long the xm-8 is going to stand in the military

although i would not mind having one, bet the price will be too much for us citizens
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A red-dot sight is not good for a primary aiming system of a rifle SERIES. That's just bad, not a good idea. Even if you do have back-up irons, they'll suck. You can't have them as dedicated as a standard 2-apt weapon. Why not just have a rail mount and allow mounting of a red dot? Why have it STANDARD? Also, red dot is not good for long range shooting or in different lighting situations. Sure, it might be more difficult to learn with an iron sight (you can still learn in a week to use it well), so why adopt a fucking sight just to improve combat training time? It's too short as it is.

Yep.

This is the reason most guys on HKPro who bought the G36 sites for their SL8's sold them and bought rails.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
it will be on again in an hour (or two) History allways repeats their prime time shows.

Its on at Midnight (MT Time) so...whew!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]
He didn't seem to be the greatest shot, after a few full auto pulls he stil didn't hit his target. And he was close as hell.

He just a loud mouth oh well
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Chamber it in 6.5 Grendel for better retained velocity out of the short barrel.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Welp...just saw it.  And it only confirms what I thought all along...the XM8 definatly kicks ass!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Welp...just saw it.  And it only confirms what I thought all along...the XM8 definatly kicks ass!!!

I must say, i had a biased feeling as i went to sit down and watch it,

But i felt a little differently after see it in action.

I still don't think it's worth going through the trouble of replacing the M16 platform with it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#18]
9'' barrel on a carbine WTF?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:47:12 AM EDT
[#19]

mmmm xm-8
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Did anyone else notice that the Army officer said "gun" and "how many bullets left" and thought the red dot sight projected a laser beam on the target?

G23c
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Indeed.

They also didn't mention the short battery life and proprietary nature of the optics.

Twas not an in depth examination of the XM-8. It looked to me like H&K is trying to drum up buzz for its weapon, and they figure the Gunny would be a great way to do that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Indeed.

They also didn't mention the short battery life and proprietary nature of the optics.

Twas not an in depth examination of the XM-8. It looked to me like H&K is trying to drum up buzz for its weapon, and they figure the Gunny would be a great way to do that.

Yes this was strictly part of the H&K propaganda push to try and save a program in trouble.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Did anyone else notice that the Army officer said "gun" and "how many bullets left" and thought the red dot sight projected a laser beam on the target?

G23c

It was driving me crazy.  Nice 'gun'.  I thought it was a friggin' rifle?

'This is my rifle, and this is my gun...'

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I didn't see the show, but I got 100 bucks that says this LTC you all are talking about was part of the OIcW program - he has a vested interest in getting the Army to adopt this.  He does NOT represent any decision makes for equipment adoption and fielding.

I have seen NOBODY in any decision making capacity in the Army acquisition community say ANYTHING about adopting this rifle.  

If somebody has seen otherwise, please let us know.

Didn't think so.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have always wondered.

Well, I tend to shoot the small $0.89 ones.  But basically, there's a big puff of smoke (actually water vapor, but who's counting?) and the can goes flying about 100 feet.  No catastrophic explosion or anything.  The can is quite cold when you go to retrieve it, too.  Pretty fun reactive target, if you ask me.

Now, I've been told it's even more fun when you have a lit road flare very near to the propane can when shot .... I gotta try that some day, but probably at a range of greater than 100 yards.

I'm suprised the metal on metal spark doesn't ignite it.  Maybe with a tracer round?

tannerite ignites it...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Field the optics today, we can see if the rest of it is required in the future.  They need to send a BCT to the field with it for a few years and see if is worth it.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I didn't see one single thing about the XM8 that the current M16/M4 platform can't already do. Other than a different operating method, what is the advantage? Also, the carbine has an 8" barrel? Aren't we already having problems with the effectiveness of 5.56 with 14.5" barrels? And why would they make it seem like only the XM8 can use a Beta mag?

I was and remain completely unimpressed by the XM8. Not only is it a waste of money, I think there are disadvantages to buying your basic small arm design from a foreign govt.

If they accept this turd, they are stupid. The only justification for a change to the XM8 the demonstrator gave was that "it's time to move on". Prepare for the fleecing. Your tax $$ have found a new hole to be dumped into.

another +1...not to mention that the Military is doing a disservice to the domestic small arms makers by buying this thing...

BTW...it's also in the new HALO2 game....so just by that alone we should waste our money on it...

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought I'd be a smart ass so I sent Gunny and email asking "What is this 6.8 SPC round I keep hearing about?"

G23c
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I just wonder how much abuse that plastic can take without cracking

Very little…

Andy
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I didn't see one single thing about the XM8 that the current M16/M4 platform can't already do. Other than a different operating method, what is the advantage? Also, the carbine has an 8" barrel? Aren't we already having problems with the effectiveness of 5.56 with 14.5" barrels? And why would they make it seem like only the XM8 can use a Beta mag?

I was and remain completely unimpressed by the XM8. Not only is it a waste of money, I think there are disadvantages to buying your basic small arm design from a foreign govt.

If they accept this turd, they are stupid. The only justification for a change to the XM8 the demonstrator gave was that "it's time to move on". Prepare for the fleecing. Your tax $$ have found a new hole to be dumped into.

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

And these are the already developed and in service HK G36 family… all the XM-8 is one of these in 'Star Wars' clothes… just buy this one, save money.

BTW: British SAS use the G36K as well as the M4/Diemaco C8 family. They like them. British Army is expected to order these two versions of the G36 to replace the much hated SA80 in 2007-12.

Andy
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#32]
My money's on that LTC wanting the XM-8 adopted so he can become a full Colonel.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

My money's on that LTC wanting the XM-8 adopted so he can become a full Colonel.

Kharn

Yup - we have a winner
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Where are they going to put the forward grip to keep people from using the magazine as above.

Also, just what part of the plastic, couldnt be made from Carbon fiber /aluminum? and Why Not, if this is the Next gen rifle?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
have you all noticed that the gunny doesn't shoot very well?  Whenver they show a watermelon exploding they cut away fropm him shooting!  When he was shooting the XM8 they actually showed him missing a couple of times.

Anyway, IMHO opinion the XM8 is a stupid waste of money.  I've never been one of those tha thought that ultra long range was the way to go with a standard infantry weapon but jeeze..a 9 inch barrel???

If it aint broke don't fix it.  That LTC they had on must already have a job offer from HK.

They showed him shooting a sniper rig at over 600 yards one time, and he did pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

G23c

And the Gunny didn't show the Army dude the difference between a "rifle" and a "gun"?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Did anyone else notice  that the LTC looked a lot like Gary Busey?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#38]
You end up with a leaking gas can....

Quoted:
what about a gas can?  filled up of course.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Use red krylon with a balistic tip very impressive
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#40]
if the sight is that much of a big deal just retrofit current m16's with redots its still alot cheaper then buying a whole new weapons system.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

They showed him shooting a sniper rig at over 600 yards one time, and he did pretty well.

You give a blind man enough ammo and give the people taping him editing freedom; and you'll see him do well also.

However, Ermey DOES still have some marksmanship left in him. A few episodes, he officially re-qualifed again as EXPERT for the USMC Marksmanship Trials.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
if the sight is that much of a big deal just retrofit current m16's with redots its still alot cheaper then buying a whole new weapons system.

Probably could do that without much issue, but it is not that the sight is all that much better than the M68 and PEQ-2, but that it does the same thing as both in one unit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Good show. Overlooking Gunny didn't talk about the benelli...and answered an e-mail by someone in Ephrata, Pa. Why I have half a mind to....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top