User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Global gag order on family planning. don't know what that means
Opposes abortion & abortion on demand should be outlawed. don't care
Plans to increase the national debt wartime or peacetime?
Government isn't the way to prosper true
Deficits are OK to support tax cuts should get that back...
Gay teachers should not advocate their lifestyle to students don't care
Supports constitutional amendment to allow prayer in schools don't care
Pro death penalty don't care
Completely against drug legalization don't care
Eliminate price controls on gas and oil yes
Against burdensome EPA regulations that stifle the economy yes
No intention to cut Medicare boo
In favor of amnesty for illegal immigrants I'll take a hard-working illegal over a lazy natural anyday - besides, I love tamales

[ETA] I should mention that he's strongly pro-business, pro-national defense, smaller government, and obviously in favor of low taxes. cool story
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Here are his more controversial positions:

Global gag order on family planning. What?

Opposes abortion & abortion on demand should be outlawed.

Plans to increase the national debt

Government isn't the way to prosper

Deficits are OK to support tax cuts

Gay teachers should not advocate their lifestyle to students

Supports constitutional amendment to allow prayer in schools

Pro death penalty

Completely against drug legalization Maybe

Eliminate price controls on gas and oil

Against burdensome EPA regulations that stifle the economy

No intention to cut Medicare

In favor of amnesty for illegal immigrants

[ETA] I should mention that he's strongly pro-business, pro-national defense, smaller government, and obviously in favor of low taxes.

then I would think about it

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:11:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How about

Abortion - state issue as its not an enumerated power of the federal government also favors a repeal of Roe Vs. Wade

Drugs/war on drugs - state issue as its not an enumerated power of the federal government

Education - state issue as its not an enumerated power of the federal government

Marriage - state issue as its not an enumerated power of the federal government

Guns - has an open stance that the second amendment is clear, shall not be infringed

Budget - in favor of reducing the federal budget by 47%

candidate was a governor for 8 years in a heavily democrat state where he went from a Billion+ deficit to a surplus and cut something like 15% of all state employees. This candidate started his own business and grew it to a company of over 1000 employees.

Who was that?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sure, in 1980. In 2016? Not so much.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
How about
Abortion - state issue as its not an enumerated power of the federal government also favors a repeal of Roe Vs. Wade
Drugs/war on drugs - state issue as its not an enumerated power of the federal government
Education - state issue as its not an enumerated power of the federal government
Marriage - state issue as its not an enumerated power of the federal government
Guns - has an open stance that the second amendment is clear, shall not be infringed
Budget - in favor of reducing the federal budget by 47%

candidate was a governor for 8 years in a heavily democrat state where he went from a Billion+ deficit to a surplus and cut something like 15% of all state employees. This candidate started his own business and grew it to a company of over 1000 employees.

Who was that?  

Gary Johnson.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here are his more controversial positions:

Global gag order on family planning.
Opposes abortion & abortion on demand should be outlawed.
Plans to increase the national debt
Government isn't the way to prosper
Deficits are OK to support tax cuts
Gay teachers should not advocate their lifestyle to students
Supports constitutional amendment to allow prayer in schools
Pro death penalty
Completely against drug legalization
Eliminate price controls on gas and oil
Against burdensome EPA regulations that stifle the economy
No intention to cut Medicare
In favor of amnesty for illegal immigrants

[ETA] I should mention that he's strongly pro-business, pro-national defense, smaller government, and obviously in favor of low taxes.

[ETA2]  The guy?

RONALD REAGAN

http://www.ontheissues.org/Ronald_Reagan.htm

Why did I start this thread? I've seen so many comments about how the Republican party could only win if they did more of this, less of this, more of that, less of that, different guy, blah blah blah. There seemed to be a pretty universal agreement that most people wanted another Reagan, and I realized about halfway through those discussions that Arfcom wouldn't embrace Reagan if he ran today. On the abortion and religion aspect alone he'd be shit-canned by most of GD. It belies the belief that many hold that there's a simple solution to the conundrum of an easy fix to win a national election.

The world is not the same as it was in 1980. In the midst of the Carter malaise, people voted him out. In the midst of the Obama malaise, people figured they weren't fucked over enough by government and they should vote for more of it because Obama gives away free cell phones and they have a right to health insurance and all republicans are racist, religious tyrants.

Want some real fun? Start a conversation with a liberal about religion and government. When the liberal starts howling about Fred Phelpps, point out that Mr. Phelpps is a democrat.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The guy?

RONALD REAGAN

http://www.ontheissues.org/Ronald_Reagan.htm

Why did I start this thread? I've seen so many comments about how the Republican party could only win if they did more of this, less of this, more of that, less of that, different guy, blah blah blah. There seemed to be a pretty universal agreement that most people wanted another Reagan, and I realized about halfway through those discussions that Arfcom wouldn't embrace Reagan if he ran today. On the abortion and religion aspect alone he'd be shit-canned by most of GD. It belies the belief that many hold that there's a simple solution to the conundrum of an easy fix to win a national election.

I don't believe Reagan believed in deficits to support tax cuts.  He initially lowered the rates but increased taxes every year after.   The tax cut thing is a hallmark and god of modern Republicans, who think nothing of large defecits in support of them.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top