Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#1]
NO WAY!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends.

If it was grandpa's gun he had as a kid and did all his hunting with?  No.

If it was a gun grandpa picked up at a gun show last year because "it was a good deal"?  Yeah, I'd sell it.

This is pretty much my take.  My family has always been big into guns. Grandad had a thing for Winchesters.  Most he never fired.  Am I supposed to keeps 60-odd deer rifles forever then pass them down to my daughters? Those same daughters that already have respectable collections of their own?

When I pass my will specifically states that daughters get first pic and then the rest is to be sold at auction.

Odly enough, my grandpa bought a modern wichester 30-30 and a .22 henry golden boy from people who were selling them to get extra cash for rent.

Guns like these would be the ones I'd sell.  The have essentially no sentimental value to anyone, since he bought them as an "investment", and planned on selling them himself anyway.

If someone in the family wanted them, I'd give them to them.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely not.
I have a couple of shotguns I inherited from my grandpa. Nothing special, just an old Winchester 1200 & an old Stevens bolt action 410. One of the things that make these guns special is that they were used by EVERY male in my family in the last 35-40 years. Heck, that lil 410 was the first shotgun the guys in my generation first carried in the field.
This last year I loaned it to one of my cousins so he could teach his son. His first bird hunt was with his father & two of his dad's cousins, with the gun we had used in our first bird hunt. I'm very glad I could be part of it. That is what family tradition is about.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
absolutely not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
No. Not ever.

The reason I would not sell an inherited firearm is because I would never consider it mine to sell. It was placed in my care because the original owner felt I was worthy enough to care for it.

That may be a little extreme point of view, but that is how I feel about it.

(Unless it was a Jennings, then I know it was done just to piss me off )

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
no.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
nope, that also goes with any gun I recieved as a gift, even my H&R Topper 20ga, which I haven't shot in years
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Is this really even a valid question?  I would sell my liver first and i am pretty sure I need it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
No, and if I ever have grandkids and I somehow learn they sold guns they inherited from me I'm coming back to haunt their punk asses.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#11]
OP take the rifle to the range, load it and shoot it. Hold the trigger and work

the slide. It will fire each time you pump it. That was a cool feature to have

before they came out with semi autos. The machine work and craftsmanship

of that rifle is timeless. It is a work of art and you should feel privileged to have

been trusted to care for it.Mine was built in 1911. What year was your built?

http://www.gun-data.com/winchester_model_1906.htm

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Sell it.   As my Dad told me  " Never love anything that can't love you back".
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]
If inherited: no.

Learn proper storage and care techniques if it's very valuable and boost your insurance.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
from you grandfather if it just sat in the gun safe, and you could buy  a gun you would actually use?

Model 1906 Winchester pump action .22lr

Nope.  I'll never sell the guns I've inherited.  I know the moment I do, I'll regret it for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I inherited all of my grandfathers guns.  They are the reason I bought a gun safe.  I have his Winchester mod 90 in .22 W. C. F.  He bought it back in the late 30's (he graduated high school in 34)  how cool is that!  The best is one is the Winchester mod 24 side by side that has a wear mark in the blueing where his thumb rested after decades of carrying in the fields.  I put my thumb over the mark and have the greatest memories while wishing I was half the man he was.  I guess that is a long way to say no, never.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Inheritance (from a sentimental point of view) means nothing if there is no history.

And you don't necessarily need to know the history.

If my grandfather bought a gun yesterday, died today, that gun has no sentimental value to me.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You don't understand that your just holding it for the next generation.  You might not appreciate it, but that doesn't mean your son or grandson wouldn't cherish the chance to have the gun.

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I won't sell guns that I bought and don't shoot.

I would never sell an heirloom.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#21]
No.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No, I've got a "thou shall not sell guns which you inherit" rule.

This.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#23]
No I wouldn't
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Never, My Dad passed on to me a Win.12,12ga. given him by his father who got it as a gift from the Chicago crime fighter, "Elliot Ness." Also have a signed letter from Ness to My Grandfather thanking him for his service with serial #. of shotgun.  I will eventually give it to my son and if the world last long enough he may pass to his son.  It had not been shot until I just had to try it, 2shots, wish I hadn't.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I have several guns given to me by my dad...I would not sell any of them...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Never.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#27]
For me it depends. My dads father once gave me an old model 12 Winchester it had been abused badly (all bluing off, no finish on stock and pump, firing pin broke) I completely refinished it and now it shoots great. But my Grandfather I had no respect for and did not like one bit, he was a complete looser to the end (child abuser, etc) I have no sentimental value towards that gun. Now on the other hand my father was given my other grandfathers (moms dad) old pump action 22lr w/ hexagon barrel, out of all of the guns my dad has that is the one I would really want out of my fathers collection.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Absolutely, positively no. I've found stuff in gun shops that I knew were sold or consigned there by a son or a grandson of the original owner, who just didn't want it. I end up buying it and taking good care of it, even if I have to give a couple of dollars more than it's worth. It meant enough to someone to want to pass it down.

You know how happy I would be to have inherited so much as a BB gun, and we have Dill Holes like this selling a family heirloom. /Rant-CSB off
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#29]
If the amount of money would change my life, yes.  If it was Billy the Kid's revolver or something.
But a pump .22?  Heck no.  Years from now, that amount of money won't make a difference, but taking my grandson or great grandson shooting some day, with that rifle?  Priceless.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#30]
No.

My grandfather left me two revolvers. Got to keep 'em.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Hell NO
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#32]
not a chance.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#33]
HELL FUCK YES

ive fought with my clan over this even

grandpappy gave you that not cause he wanted it stuck in a safe and worshipped but because it served him well and he wanted it to serve you well

yet better tools have become available.....

it makes as much sense as using bleeding to treat a fever instead of tylenol, cuz thats how granpappy did it

if granpappy was alive he'd toss that fucking thing and buy a remington 700 or AR15, he wasnt no dumbass

there is nothing wrong with keeping something as a memento, but there is also nothing wrong with selling it if you have no use for it and you are adult enough to remember the deceased person without having to have their petrified testicle in a pouch on a necklace
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP take the rifle to the range, load it and shoot it. Hold the trigger and work
the slide. It will fire each time you pump it. That was a cool feature to have
before they came out with semi autos. The machine work and craftsmanship
of that rifle is timeless. It is a work of art and you should feel privileged to have
been trusted to care for it.Mine was built in 1911. What year was your built?

http://www.gun-data.com/winchester_model_1906.htm

Built in 1913. I have shot it. It is pretty cool. I was just thinking out loud. I don't plan on selling it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely, positively no. I've found stuff in gun shops that I knew were sold or consigned there by a son or a grandson of the original owner, who just didn't want it. I end up buying it and taking good care of it, even if I have to give a couple of dollars more than it's worth. It meant enough to someone to want to pass it down.

You know how happy I would be to have inherited so much as a BB gun, and we have Dill Holes like this selling a family heirloom. /Rant-CSB off

This "dillhole" sold off the collection because that was grandad's last wish.  He knew the guns were nothing special.  I kept a couple as he directed.  Not that I really wanted them, but that was his way of compensating me.  All told, those guns bought two years college for his great-granddaughter.

You really should not judge folks and circumstances you know nothing about.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#36]
no keep the rifle
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#37]
NO!

That is a cool little rifle, years ago could have bought one cheap but I did not see it as anything special at the time. Wish I had.

But tough being a starving student at the time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#38]
No but I might buy yours if the price is right.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
from you grandfather if it just sat in the gun safe, and you could buy a gun you would actually use?

Model 1906 Winchester pump action .22lr

No...

but I'd buy it from someone who was selling it if I couldn't change their mind.

+1
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#40]
there also is the bit that handmedowns have no paperwork linking them to you....and a good portion were never registered in the first place
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I only have one gun from my grandfather, it's a winchester model 88 in .308 win, I don't think I could ever sell it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#42]
nope
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#43]
No.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is this really even a valid question?  I would sell my liver first and i am pretty sure I need it.

How much do you want for the liver?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes here's why. That pump 22 probably was cool, back in the day. If you replace it with an equally cool weapon, but keep it long enough to pass to your grandson and let him decide what to do with it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Depends.

If it was grandpa's gun he had as a kid and did all his hunting with?  No.

If it was a gun grandpa picked up at a gun show last year because "it was a good deal"?  Yeah, I'd sell it.

This is the correct answer . I have a couple of Dad's guns , they are special to me and will go to my son.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#47]
No. I myself inherited two rifles and a shotgun. They're all POS guns that I never shoot. My mom keeps egging me on to sell them since she doesn't give a damn about anything I inherit, and instead shes $ at every object. Even if I did sell them they would probably all fetch ~$150 on a good day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#48]
HELL NO!!!!! I have my Grandpa's Winchester 30-30 that I killed my first deer with it. I will never ever get rid of it .I will pass it down the family line once I am gone
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Fuck no.   I have inherited guns that I don't even know what round they take.  Never going to use them.  Have been offered thousands.  They will bury me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
NO WAY, I happened to have inherited the same kind of rifle. That rifle was used to feed
relatives during the depression. I will have it until I pass it down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/banditman1/DSC_0221.jpg

Crazy.... I inherited the same rifle too. Octagonal barrel chambered in .22 WRF.

I need to lay in a stock of .22 WRF so I can shoot it, but even if I never do, I would not sell it.

IMO it's okay to sell it though if you feel it's going to waste, I'd just put it towards something that would be equally important to you.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top