Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Classic.  Just bought a 1969 Mustang convertible as my DD.
The 351 Windsor V8 has had a few... tweaks... so it's pushing 400 hp.

edited, typo fixed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Old restored car or truck they keep their value they will be reliable as long as you maintain them. When they do breack it's usualy predictable and easy to fix and maintain. You have a great deal of interoperability in an old car that you don't always get with a new car. When they are past their smog inspection date you can do with them what you please. BTW way I drive a 45 year old truck as a daily driver. The biggest diffrence is that I know the vehicle inside and out and at the end of the day i am the best mechanic for it. Most modern conviences I can live without but I also don't sit down to pee either.

This. Below is my daily driver, I can keep her running indefinately. I could also restore her for less than the price of a new truck and have a better than new truck when I was done. Parts are plentiful and cheap, insurance is cheap, registration is $22 a year, oh and she does have AC!

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/my65pan/000_0920.jpg

I'll be in my bunk....

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The 350 Windsor V8 has had a few... tweaks... so it's pushing 400 hp.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr136/efillc/69%20Mustang/Picture002.jpg

A 350 Windsor is definitely a rare option

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]

My second BMW '02.

Going back to Webber carbs after I am done with this resto though, Tii has not been worth the headache so far.

Some day I'd love to go Turbo, but I have my money saved for other things.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The 350 Windsor V8 has had a few... tweaks... so it's pushing 400 hp.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr136/efillc/69%20Mustang/Picture002.jpg

A 350 Windsor is definitely a rare option

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Old restored car or truck they keep their value they will be reliable as long as you maintain them. When they do breack it's usualy predictable and easy to fix and maintain. You have a great deal of interoperability in an old car that you don't always get with a new car. When they are past their smog inspection date you can do with them what you please. BTW way I drive a 45 year old truck as a daily driver. The biggest diffrence is that I know the vehicle inside and out and at the end of the day i am the best mechanic for it. Most modern conviences I can live without but I also don't sit down to pee either.

This. Below is my daily driver, I can keep her running indefinately. I could also restore her for less than the price of a new truck and have a better than new truck when I was done. Parts are plentiful and cheap, insurance is cheap, registration is $22 a year, oh and she does have AC!
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/my65pan/000_0920.jpg
Bumpsides FTW!
The main reason I prefer my bump over a new car? I actually OWN my truck. Sure, newer cars have power-everything and better gas mileage, but look at the cost of buying, and look at the costs of repair once they age. I rather have my less-than-perfect older car than be saddled to a fat chunk of debt that in the long run, will cost me an arm and a leg to keep running.
My daily driver:

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#7]
way too vague.

olds 442 or new chevy cobalt?

bel air or new 911 gt2?

dodge dart or honda civic?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So just a question to arfcom. Would you rather have a restored classic car or a new 2010/2011 car?

Would you rather restore a classic car or buy a new car?

Restored classic.  I don't need $40k of equipment to fucking work on it.  Plus it looks a hell of a lot better than that new shit they are putting out.  

Case in point, a friend of mine dumped $30k into rebuilding the engine, turbo, transmission and exhaust system in his Toyota Supra.  He's pushing about 330 HP.  I'm doing a total off the frame restoration of a 1972 Corvette for about 2/3 the price and I'll have more than double the HP to the wheels than he's getting.  New cars mean more expense when they need repair.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So just a question to arfcom. Would you rather have a restored classic car or a new 2010/2011 car?

Would you rather restore a classic car or buy a new car?

depends which car it is in each category.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Edit: Many good shots. I notice mostly old rides. No poll?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Been al,most a year into the restoration.
Still have the suspension and transmission left to do.
I also have an 04 Z06, I woulndt want to have to use either of them as daily drivers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are my choices? a new dodge challenger or an old one? I choose the new one, and old GTO or a new one? I will take an old one please, a new Camaro? or an old model? I will take a new one....same for the Mustang...I like the new ones.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Old car, not if daily driver though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/billyw9/IMG_0323.jpg

I also have an 04 Z06, I woulndt want to have to use either of them as daily drivers.

Very, very nice...

Here's mine and the power plant going in it....

This is prior to tear down...

Here is the 502 BBC that I'm building to put in it...

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I would take 1970 Chevelle SS body and mate it to a ZR1 Corvette.....that would be my restored car.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate new shit,old for me
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is prior to tear down...

Are you going to keep it yellow?
If I restore another one (and I probably will) it will be a big block and it will be yellow
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Where is the Truck option?

Or as friend to all here the pre - electronic ignition diesel
EMP proof
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would take 1970 Chevelle SS body and mate it to a ZR1 Corvette.....that would be my restored car.

It's been done on a '69 Camaro, I see no reason why you couldn't do it to a Chevelle...

Project Jackass

Aside from the $60k you'll need just in parts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#20]
My 1955 Chevy kicks serious 4-cylinder buzzing mufflers ASS!  And it is fun to drive.   I built it old school...350, 280 CC cam, 3000 stall 411 grears blah blah...I love it!

Edit - if you are worried about gas mileage or an old fart worried about how well it tours (????? focus on comfort??? come on..its a fun car) then buy a new car or trick out a new car.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been done on a '69 Camaro, I see no reason why you couldn't do it to a Chevelle...

Project Jackass

Aside from the $60k you'll need just in parts.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#22]
If it's a car, I'll take a classic.
If I have to drive it everyday, I'll take a Duramax Diesel Pickup.
I don't own a car that's not a Hot Rod or Classic car.
Trucks and vans for everyday drivers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I love old cars, especially old German cars BUT you can buy a new car and drive it 100K miles and reasonably expect it to do that with very few problems.  I just changed brakes on a Nissan Murano with 133K miles.  The pads and rotors were original, and had just hit metal-to-metal on one of the rear pads.  I pulled a spark plug, and while it was SLIGHTLY worn it was very clean indicating the very lean conditions these engines are run at when going down the road.  Dare I say it, a spark plug ran 50 miles in a "classic car" would have been more discolored.  The owners have had ZERO repairs done over the 133K miles, just synthetic oil changes, filter changes, and tires.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess I read it wrong...I thought it was "another" car, not your daily driver.

Do not work on your only transportation...other than maintenance.  BUT a toy...get something fun!....see above.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#25]
My older car . . .

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#26]
New cars have:

Better brakes
Better suspension
Better fuel induction system
Engines that can make gobs of HP and still pass emissions

Actually, both my 22 year old Mazdas are excellent in all those departments except the 929 which doesn't make gobs of HP.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/billyw9/IMG_0323.jpg

I would love to get a classic vette and drop a modern LS1/LS3 engine in it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
New cars have:

Better brakes My 68 Camaro has brand new 2 piston 2002 Camaro brakes all around
Better suspension My 68 Camaro has Hotchkis autocross/race ready leaves and upper/lower A arms
Better fuel induction system Will be getting an 05 Corvette motor here shortly
Engines that can make gobs of HP and still pass emissions 500 HP fully legal

Any thing else?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
New cars have:

Better suspension My 68 Camaro has Hotchkis autocross/race ready leaves and upper/lower A arms

Any thing else?

There are always exceptions.  Most people don't have all those on a restored old car.

Stock for stock, the statement still stands and I don't consider the suspension you describe as better than modern ones.  Maybe for a drag strip, but I bet it ain't fun on a twisty road.

Carburettor or injection?

Will it pass emissions?  Probably doesn't have to.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Classic car with modern tech would be nice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#31]

A Vetet Rod is what you want....been thinking about doing a 67/04 for awhile now:
Here is a link to a 57 on a 04 (I think) chassis
VetteRod

Here is a 67:
67 vette rod

The beauty of it is that you dont have to cut up/ destroy a real 67.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
New cars have:

Any thing else?

There are always exceptions.  Most people don't have all those on a restored old car.

Stock for stock, the statement still stands and I don't consider the suspension you describe as better than modern ones.  Maybe for a drag strip, but I bet it ain't fun on a twisty road.

Will it pass emissions?  Probabably doesn't have to.

I can't afford a 3-link suspension right now, so leaves will have to do. Leaves are plenty good, and can ride better than some newer cars, though it will never ride like a Ferrari.

No, it doesn't need to pass emissions, but it can, very easily.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A Vetet Rod is what you want....been thinking about doing a 67/04 for awhile now:
VetteRod

Here is a 67:
67 vette rod

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64840

Here's a '54 Vette with an LS9.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

New cars have:

Better brakes Most, if not all, old cars can be upgraded to power discs pretty easily.

Better suspension They all can be upgraded. Of course, the simple solution is to slow the fuck down and not drive like a jackwagon.

Better fuel induction system And you usually have to drop the fucking gas tank to fix it. Whoop-dee-doo. Aftermarket fuel injection can be put in it anyways.

Engines that can make gobs of HP and still pass emissions Older cars don't worry about passing smog, and they make more than enough horsepower.

Any thing else?

Ok, how about my take. BTW these upgrades are all much cheaper than a new car.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Mine is red, fathers is the blue.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
New cars have:

Better brakes Most, if not all, old cars can be upgraded to power discs pretty easily.
Better suspension They all can be upgraded. Of course, the simple solution is to slow the fuck down and not drive like a jackwagon.
Better fuel induction system And you usually have to drop the fucking gas tank to fix it. Whoop-dee-doo. Aftermarket fuel injection can be put in it anyways.
Engines that can make gobs of HP and still pass emissions Older cars don't worry about passing smog, and they make more than enough horsepower.

Any thing else?

Ok, how about my take. BTW these upgrades are all much cheaper than a new car.

Agreed, so far I'm only in about $2k over purchase price of my car, and it still cheaper than a base model Sentra, Corolla, Impala, whatever.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Absolutely gorgeous set of cars there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Definitely older vehicles. The newer cars of today have too many, cheap to produce, but costly to replace plastic parts that break with a light bump and look like shit. I know it matters what you want though and I know lots of people like to have new cars with warranties and leave it to the shop to fix if they break and insurance or warranty to cover it.

Not me. I like steel and classic lines and like to work on my own vehicles as much as possible and put that money to other things than feeding greedy corporations anymore than I have to, with their political connections. I prefer to not be in debt and pay for things straight out too. I also like trucks more and own a about to be classic Ford 4x4 F150 with a 5.0 liter V8 and 5 speed manual trans. They don't make them like it anymore and I like not being like the Jones. I'll probably buy a muscle car in a couple years and there's no way in hell I'd waste money on a new car that's got 1/10th the style.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

VetteRod

Here is a 67:
67 vette rod

That's sweet, but the wheels have got to go
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VetteRod

Here is a 67:
67 vette rod

That's sweet, but the wheels have got to go

I agree, far too large, but they were going with the ZR1 theme, and it still looks good.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Does the restored car have an iPod jack?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does the restored car have an iPod jack?

Mine does, and the radio looks identical to the original
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

VetteRod

Here is a 67:
67 vette rod

anything with a 70's style body?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VetteRod

Here is a 67:
67 vette rod

anything with a 70's style body?

This looks like early '70's
70's
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hard to say now, everything new out there is shit now.

You've got to be high or ignorant to say that.

Cars - 400+HP is the new benchmark
Truck - 700lb ft torque is available.

Vehicles are more reliable and put up better and better performance and safety numbers every year.

Don't get me wrong, I love classics, but for everyday driving or towing modern vehicles are where it is at.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
New cars have:

Any thing else?

I can't afford a 3-link suspension right now, so leaves will have to do. Leaves are plenty good, and can ride better than some newer cars, though it will never ride like a Ferrari.

No, it doesn't need to pass emissions, but it can, very easily.

I am not talking about ride, I am talking about handling, spirited handling.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I have both.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Older stuff kills you in wrecks these days, and there's too many fucking emo-tard kids texting while driving to drive around too safely in a relic.

New Car, FTW.......but I'd still love to have an original Willys for shits and giggles
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Not even a contest, old with modern driveline/suspension. Modern cars have no style. Once i get settled I'm building a nice daily driver, 63 Falcon with a warmed over fuel injected 302 and TKO 5spd.
Creature comforts just distract from the driving experience. Give me a tin can with a healthy engine and I'm happy.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Classic. None of the electronic bullshit to give problems.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top