Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the state law here in Virginia is that if you maliciously kill someone's pet you are committing a felony.  I also believe it is law that you may use leathal force if necessary to prevent a felony.  Regardless what the law says I would be mad as hell if some just went up to one of my dogs and killed it just out of spite.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
On a public sidewalk, one block from the dog's home, I had the dog tearing at my pant leg and I kicked at him and the owner swore at me and called me names...
When I chased a dog from knocking down my trash, the owner stuck his finger in my screen and wanted me to come out and fight because he felt his dog had the right to knock down my trashcan.
When a pit bull chased my little boys into the house, the humane society laughed at us and would not come out saying they did not have the manpower....when I said, I will shoot the  dog, their truck arrived in less than five minutes.
When a dog owner trained his dog to crap in my lawn and I said I don't like it...he said, what are, an animal hater?  
My thought on your dog is that if you let him run wild to be a nuisance or trespass, you don't have anything to say about what the neighbors do to him...
If irresponsible dog and cat owners went to jail and paid fines for the damage their pets do, every neighborhood would be more safe and peaceful...

Amen, brother.

I have had a couple of dog problems in our neighborhood as well. Every other neighbor seems satisfied to avoid the stupid neighbor's dogs but I am not a sheep. If you are stupid enough to let your vicious dog run loose, when confronted by it in the public thoroughfare I will kill it, drag it home and roast it on a spit in the back yard and the next morning return it to your yard in the form of a steaming pile of ..... I will not be chased on my bicycle or motorcycle, I will not retreat while on a public road and I will not put up with trash being scattered every freaking week by the same mutt. You love your dog like a child? They why is it wandering the neighborhood at night/day with no intervention from you? (I love dogs and if you are a responsible owner then more power to you.)
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:28:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
no. and anyone who actually would is a nutjob...no matter what they make their dog wear on Christmas or give it for its birthday. Same-as-a-child my ass.

+1  

+2

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:29:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If irresponsible dog and cat owners went to jail and paid fines for the damage their pets do, every neighborhood would be more safe and peaceful...

Say the same about children (use the liberal defination of child up to say age 25), will you be saying the same thing?

Children and pets are NOT the same thing, but you are still responsible for a real (<18years) child.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:30:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
On a public sidewalk, one block from the dog's home, I had the dog tearing at my pant leg and I kicked at him and the owner swore at me and called me names...
When I chased a dog from knocking down my trash, the owner stuck his finger in my screen and wanted me to come out and fight because he felt his dog had the right to knock down my trashcan.
When a pit bull chased my little boys into the house, the humane society laughed at us and would not come out saying they did not have the manpower....when I said, I will shoot the  dog, their truck arrived in less than five minutes.
When a dog owner trained his dog to crap in my lawn and I said I don't like it...he said, what are, an animal hater?  
My thought on your dog is that if you let him run wild to be a nuisance or trespass, you don't have anything to say about what the neighbors do to him...

Amen, brother.

I have had a couple of dog problems in our neighborhood as well. Every other neighbor seems satisfied to avoid the stupid neighbor's dogs but I am not a sheep. If you are stupid enough to let your vicious dog run loose, when confronted by it in the public thoroughfare I will kill it, drag it home and roast it on a spit in the back yard and the next morning return it to your yard in the form of a steaming pile of ..... I will not be chased on my bicycle or motorcycle, I will not retreat while on a public road and I will not put up with trash being scattered every freaking week by the same mutt. You love your dog like a child? They why is it wandering the neighborhood at night/day with no intervention from you? (I love dogs and if you are a responsible owner then more power to you.)

The question was you see someone trying to kill your dog, on YOUR property and your dog has done nothing wrong.  The question wasn't your dog is trying to kill someone, do you kill him first...........
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:34:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My dogs stay in their fence, if they were running loose and a threat to someone, and said person hurt or killed one of them, I would have to eat it. But if someone comes in my yard, and harms them, that is when their life would be in danger. Irresponsible pet owners, have little room for recourse. When I said I would kill someone over them, I am refering to a person attacking them on my property,  with the dogs doing nothing wrong. There have been several animals shot with bows around here lately, while they were in their pens or pastures. Those people would be in danger of losing their life, if I were to catch them. They may not be children, but they are members of my family, and I will protect my family in any necessary.

That is a reasonable statement. Many dog owners are irrational about what their dog would do while out of their sight, control. The dogs I had problems with frequently behaved well when mommy was standing right there, as soon as she left, they jump the fence, tear open the neighbor's trash and stand down people in the street. 357Magnum seemed to get the point across though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:35:56 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife and I love our dogs as children.  Our ten year old lab mix Zoe has been there for us through my wife's mother's death and countless other tragedies.  All three of our dogs have undoubtedly saved our marriage and mountains of stress simply by the amount of joy they bring us.  All three sleep in our bedroom.  At any given moment, two are probably on the bed as well.

That being said, I believe in the rule of law, despite its flaws.  Have him arrested and make sure to inform all the other animal lovers about his actions.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen, brother.

The question was you see someone trying to kill your dog, on YOUR property and your dog has done nothing wrong.  The question wasn't your dog is trying to kill someone, do you kill him first...........

Yeah, I know. The problem is that problem dog owners seldom see their dogs as a problem. I have a few instances where I had problems with dogs and the owners almost always deny that their dog would do such a thing. One of the two times I have shot at the same neighbor's dogs I made sure I signed a citation to CYA if it happened again because I can just see the guy going postal when REX ends up in a pool of blood on the side of the road.

Because dogs are property I would be upset but would not go postal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Say you were on some country property and your dog was running loose. You see a man attack your dog (the dog is not being aggressive towards him) with a garden tool or shoot him with a firearm.

Would you kill this man?

No. To me an animals life is not an even exchange for a humans. I guess I would check my legal actions option out for compinsation. Hurt him in the wallet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:46:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Say you were on some country property and your dog was running loose. You see a man attack your dog (the dog is not being aggressive towards him) with a garden tool or shoot him with a firearm.

Would you kill this man?

Is it "some" country property or is it "my" country property. If it's my property, I can almost assume that the guy is using a firearm because a garden tool would just get him chewed up more. And if he was on my property, with garden tools, he's up to no good anyway. In short, he'd regret it either way.

On someone else's country property, my dog would be leashed so he would have to attack me too. He'd be dead again unless he shot me first. In the extremely unlikely case where my dog got loose and went after the guy, not on my property, then the dog has more to fear from me than from the guy.

Knowing my dog, unless the guy actually attacked, he'd get only a "tongue lashing" from the dog, maybe have to scratch his belly or behind his ears. He's generally very friendly unless he's home alone.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:47:57 AM EDT
[#11]
There would be a very suspicious fire at my neighbors abode months later while nobody was home.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:53:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Not sure what I'd do...but my dog is a very dear and close friend to me, so whatever I did to the assailant, would not be socially prudent, orthodox, or in the least bit tame.  It'd most likely depend on where it went down and who's around to watch it all unfold.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:30:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Would you kill this man?

So you and your dog are trespassing, criminally trespassing, and defiant trespassing on private property.  

You don't have actual physical control of your dog.  

<dead dog>

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:35:05 AM EDT
[#15]
No, but there WOULD be payback. BIG Payback. And it will be brutal.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
-Old Klingon Proverb
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Would you kill this man?

If a man came on my property and attacked my animal with a deadly weapon I would consider my life in danger and act as such.  No rational person walks into the property of another and beats an animal to death.  Armed irrational rage-filled people are a threat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:38:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My dog is my "child".  Would you kill someone who killed your child in such a malicious way?

It's property.  So you consider it acceptable to kill someone for damaging your property?z

A dog is more than property to some people, and yes, I have stated before I believe my property is worth someones life who is trying to steal or damage.

Lesson is don't fuck with other peoples stuff....simple common sense and morality....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#18]
No. A dog is just property, and although I love mine, the cellblock or the electric chair are not places I intend to send myself. However, I would certainly confront the shooter and deliver a sound beating or, if he is really stupid, a justified shooting.

My fiancee would have to be restrained. Someone would probably be dead before she had time to think about it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I don't have a dog, I have two cats.
If someone killed my cat, I would be mildly irritated and force him to pay for the money I put into my cat door.  

Most days I'd PAY someone to shoot my wife's cats.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Here in Austria, lethal force is legal to protect property. My dog is
my property (and much more, of course) = one dead dog beater.

And if you ask if that is moral to do so, I would just say that I didn't
give a sociopath a chance to attack another human.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Gimme a break.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#22]
If my dog is on my property, and someone harms/kills it... They pay.

If my dog is on someone else's property where it should not be, and someone harms/kills it, then i'll have to suck it up. I don't tolerate other people's animals on my propety, either.

I had some fucknut redneck shoot one of my doberman puppies in the ass with a pellet gun from the road one evening, completely unprovoked. The dog was taking a shit in my parent's fenced in yard, and jackass idles up in his mud truck and does the deed, then tears off down the road.

It's too bad he had such a distinctive truck. It was even moreso after I got done with it. I figure I got every damned dollar of that vet bill out of the tires and the paint job.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Would you kill this man?

what, no poll???

tough question! if your dog was running around on someone else's property or just out in the country, out of your control, it's almost fair game. packs of feral(?) dogs are a big problem in a lot of places nowadays and they're almost seen as vermin by farmers, ranchers, whatever. a dog running by itself would be a stray to them and nothing but trouble.

if i came up on the guy after he killed my dog, i'd hope he'd apologize like crazy. if he copped an attitude, he'd get a beat down for sure. i'd only kill him to protect my dog.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you kill this man?

Is it "some" country property or is it "my" country property. If it's my property, I can almost assume that the guy is using a firearm because a garden tool would just get him chewed up more. And if he was on my property, with garden tools, he's up to no good anyway. In short, he'd regret it either way.

On someone else's country property, my dog would be leashed so he would have to attack me too.
He'd be dead again unless he shot me first. In the extremely unlikely case where my dog got loose and went after the guy, not on my property, then the dog has more to fear from me than from the guy.

Knowing my dog, unless the guy actually attacked, he'd get only a "tongue lashing" from the dog, maybe have to scratch his belly or behind his ears. He's generally very friendly unless he's home alone.

The original question needs to be more detailed. Is the man a trespasser on your fenced property or are you on his property?  Is the guy known to you as a freind or is he known to you as a person who thinks they have a score to settle, or a total stranger? ect.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#25]
NO...Dumb question
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
"he was coming right for me!"

+1

He tried to attack me with his garden hoe
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#27]
You say "out in the country" like land that is not in a city doesn't BELONG TO SOMEONE.  Keep your dog on your property.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I WOULD KILL HIM GOOD IF I WERE A COWBOY IN A MOVIE. But since I'm not I'd beat his ass and leave him layin in the field next to the dog
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#29]
No, it's still just a dog, it's just property, and I'm not going to prison over it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
No, it's still just a dog, it's just property, and I'm not going to prison over it.

What if the law of the land said protection of your property could include deadly force?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
No.  But I would beat him to within an inch of his life.

+1.....then I would prob. go that extra inch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:44:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Would you kill this man?

How about this.

You are the owner of this "country property" and you see a dog coming at you and behind him a man with a firearm.

Changes the answers huh?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#34]
No.  some of you people scare me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
He tried to attack me with his garden hoe

And a farm implement!  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

And there lies the case of why this country needs to adopt the metric system... I would much rather see that guy beat within a millimeter of his life.

No, I wouldn't kill the guy.
Semantics:
Am I on his property, and therefore trespassing?
Is the guy some sort of crazed piney?
Does the guy raise his rifle and aim at me while standing over my dead dog?

More info is needed to really make this decision...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if the law of the land said protection of your property could include deadly force?

It's still a dog - a human life is worth more.

My dogs are like kids, I'd have a hard time watching a JBT stomp my little dogs to death.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#38]
What color is his helmet?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#39]

Would you kill this man?

I would feel justified shooting him. It would be harder to explain If caught, why I cut has guts out and than started a fire in the stomach cavity. I would hope that my anger subsides with the flames so that I wouldn’t have to travel the earth killing all the scum like him that I encounter!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
He shot my dog then turned the gun towards me.

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:00:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's still a dog - a human life is worth more.

My dogs are like kids, I'd have a hard time watching a JBT stomp my little dogs to death.

I guess it comes down to where an individual falls as far as what someone else's life is worth.

Like I said, I believe deadly force should be allowable to protect property. But thats just me. I believe I should have the right to plug someone who is stealing my TV...or even a pen from my desk in my home.

To me, no one should have the right to try to steal or destroy my property without the chances of suffering the severe consequences....

Now, if my dog went to someone elses property and attacked them, well, thats different....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#45]
In the 60's in Michigan, we used to small game hunt the square mile behind my brother's house.  The center was field and orchards with small half acre homesites around the perimeter.  An older person bought one of the houses.  He put up a single barb wire strand and 4 keep out/no trespassing signs.  He would sit in a folding chair in his back yard with a .22 rifle.  He took great delight in shooting hunting dogs that wandered onto his property while running game.  He wouldn't allow the hunters to retrieve the dog.  They had to call the Sheriff to assist in that.  Legally, at that time, he was in the right.  He experienced much vandalism because of his actions.  He passed away into the 3rd year.

Never saw anyone like him, he must have been ill!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#46]
No. Its just a dog.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#48]
If he was within proximity of doing me grievous bodily harm, expressed intent to do it, had the capacity to do it and I had no means of escape, then yes.  If not, I would not kill him.  Basically, if he had a firearm I would do it in the scenario which was just presented.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say the same about children (use the liberal defination of child up to say age 25), will you be saying the same thing?

Children and pets are NOT the same thing, but you are still responsible for a real (<18years) child.

So that is a yes?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:25:54 AM EDT
[#50]
he was a threat.. he dies.. simple as that..
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top