Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Likewise, Your comment makes you look ignorant.

Name one profession that could not be mastered through an apprenticeship of varying degrees of commitment?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
College is a joke and a scam.

This is only true is some instances, and without mentioning those instances, you make yourself look pretty ignorant.

There are hundreds of great, honorable, and simply awesome professions that require a college degree.

Name one profession that could not be mastered through an apprenticeship of varying degrees of commitment?

Are you serious?  

Are you really?

I can't believe that you are.

"Apprenticeship of varying degrees of commitment"?  Tell me, is that a fantasy?  Did you just make that up in your head?  Or can a person realistically become a doctor (or insert profession that requires a college degree) via this non-existant "apprenticeship of varying degrees of commitment"?

Wow...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
2 down, 1 to go

soon

cry
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is only true is some instances, and without mentioning those instances, you make yourself look pretty ignorant.

There are hundreds of great, honorable, and simply awesome professions that require a college degree.

Are you serious?

You think apprenticeships are better than education?

OK.

This place shows education-envy as much as liberal sites show their class-envy.

Derp-derp learn to drive a pickup or something! #trades #collegeisascam #america
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do they teach spell check in college?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is only true is in some instances, and without mentioning those instances, you make yourself look pretty ignorant.

That WAS spell check, or auto correct I should say.

Thanks for posting.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

College is necessary for Doctors, Engineers, etc. You know,  professions that actually require years of study.

Beyond that, it's a waste of money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

College is necessary for Doctors, Engineers, etc. You know,  professions that actually require years of study.

That's pretty much what I said.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is only true is in some instances, and without mentioning those instances, you make yourself look pretty ignorant.

Thanks for posting.

No worries boss, I'll be here all week.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I voted HELL YES, but the important point is to save money so that you won't need to do that.

But assuming my bank blew up, and the FDIC said my deposits were mysteriously uninsured, and I had no legal means of recompense... then, yeah, I would do whatever it takes.

Before my youngest son went off to college, my wife advised he take a "gap year" to get a bit more psychologically prepared (meaning more mature). He wanted to go to Germany for a year. I thought it was a great idea, having done that as a young kid and as a college student, so I wanted to make it happen.

But I didn't plan on this and I didn't have the $9000 to fund it.

But I did have a mint condition, award-winning 1956 BMW R50 motorcycle, my most prized possession.

Twenty-four hours later, the bike had a new owner and I had eighty $100 bills. All I needed to do was pony up another $1000.

So he went to Germany, lived with a family, repeated his senior year of high school (except in German), went from proficient to fluent, made a lot of great friends, and got to tour around Europe.

He had the time of his life.

I really miss that bike. But it was totally worth it.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess we agree then!

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

so are Nasa Engineers scammed?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How many people graduate from college with bullshit degrees?

Hint: Most of them.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope but I'm making sacrifices now that they are 5 years old. That way I won't have to later. And if they choose not to go more fun money for me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
no. kids can work their way through college just like everyone else did, and just like I did.  I'd do everything I could but millions of kids a year go to college by working their asses off.
View Quote

how old are you?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that's not what the guy said.  He made a blanket statement about all college.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont think you understand, that you cannot work , or practice as an Engineer without an Engineering degree. or without a PE license.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#15]
As parent you bear some responsibility for how your kids turn out.  Part of that is giving them the morals and knowledge to get through life.  Part of it is showing that you value them and find them worthy of investing in.  There will be precious few others in the world who will do that.  Yes, your kids should do most of the lifting.  But being there when they need it is what parenting, after child rearing, is all about.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hahahaha I would have to disagree.

Sounds like something a dropout would say...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#17]
in GD's world. cooter who works at remington can do just a good as job as a nasa engineer because he worked with propellants.

American's brain drain. Jesus christ we're doomed.

It's bad enough Liberals defunded Nasa.

It's even worse when Conservatives think its a waste of time and money.

We'll be transitioning to Lasers and Plasma weapons, and Ionic Reactors and GD will say its a waste of time compared to AR15's and JP8.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm currently paying off my loans. I decided I wanted to go to a private school and now I'm paying for it. Parents arent helping me because they can't right now so I pretty much have a mortgage payment at 23. Oh well, just another reason why I don't feel bad for anyone who says they can't afford college. I took loans and now I work and pay them, if I can do it, anyone can.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I dont think you understand, that you cannot work , or practice as an Engineer without an Engineering degree. or without a PE license.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait a second!  You mean to say that his "apprenticeship of varying degrees of commitment" won't work??????
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I voted HELL YES, but the important point is to save money so that you won't need to do that.

But assuming my bank blew up, and the FDIC said my deposits were mysteriously uninsured, and I had no legal means of recompense... then, yeah, I would do whatever it takes.

Before my youngest son went off to college, my wife advised he take a "gap year" to get a bit more psychologically prepared (meaning more mature). He wanted to go to Germany for a year. I thought it was a great idea, having done that as a young kid and as a college student, so I wanted to make it happen.

But I didn't plan on this and I didn't have the $9000 to fund it.

But I did have a mint condition, award-winning 1956 BMW R50 motorcycle, my most prized possession.

Twenty-four hours later, the bike had a new owner and I had eighty $100 bills. All I needed to do was pony up another $1000.

So he went to Germany, lived with a family, repeated his senior year of high school (except in German), went from proficient to fluent, made a lot of great friends, and got to tour around Europe.

He had the time of his life.

I really miss that bike. But it was totally worth it.

View Quote
damn

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are you serious?  

Are you really?

"Apprenticeship of varying degrees of commitment"?  Tell me, is that a fantasy?  Did you just make that up in your head?  Or can a person realistically become a doctor (or insert profession that requires a college degree) via this non-existant "apprenticeship of varying degrees of commitment"?

Wow...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you serious?  

Are you really?

Wow...

Are you going to indirectly insult me or are you going to man up and tell me why an apprenticeship, though the leading means by which knowledge has been passed on from previous generations to the next for no less than, well forever, is not a viable alternative to a "formal" education?

Go on then, tell me how knowledge can only be disseminated through the exchange of wealth, that doctors can only be doctors if they spend 8 years at college, and that being an apprentice for the very same amount of time work studying is such an outrageous idea.

I'll save you the effort.

BULLSHIT.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

College graduates make, on average, twice what people with some college make and the gap is widening.  

View Quote

In 20 years the gap will be larger. Basically the children of people who saved for their kids college will be a ruling upper middle class elite and everyone else will be living at home til their 40s

Sure you can get on a Long Island police job, or be a plumber, but basically foregoing college puts a child behind in life

Hrm.

Fuck your logic, I'm making up my own.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
College graduates make, on average, twice what people with some college make and the gap is widening.  

In 20 years the gap will be larger. Basically the children of people who saved for their kids college will be a ruling upper middle class elite and everyone else will be living at home til their 40s

Sure you can get on a Long Island police job, or be a plumber, but basically foregoing college puts a child behind in life
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that statistic is as telling as some people think.  

There's a lot more "poor" people than there was 20 years ago and the rich people are a lot richer than they were 20 years ago.  Yes, most of those rich people went to college while the poor people didn't.  I think that alone really skewed your statistic.  

You mentioned a Long Island police job and a plumber, there are lots and lots and lots of college graduates who are making good middle class incomes yet aren't making as much as the two jobs you mentioned.

SO it seems like it would be accurate to say that going to college for some random degree isn't going to make you much more money.  You'll only get that if you go to college to be a doctor, lawyer, or businessman.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Are you going to indirectly insult me or are you going to man up and tell me why an apprenticeship, though the leading means by which knowledge has been passed on from previous generations to the next for no less than, well forever, is not a viable alternative to a "formal" education?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Because it doesn't exist, it is just a figment of your imagination.

If someone started that apprenticeship, and it was accredited by whoever needs to accredit it, then it would become a viable solution.  But today, it is not.

BTW, I did a 5 year apprenticeship so there is no need to tell me about it.  But I still won't fool myself into thinking I can do an apprenticeship in "doctoring".

BULLSHIT.

Yes, everything that you said certainly is.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are you serious?

OK.

Derp-derp learn to drive a pickup or something! #trades #collegeisascam #america
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you serious?

OK.

College envy?

You got me!

Wait, what's to be envious of?

It's ok to be butt hurt about paying so much for a piece of paper..... that more and more is worth less and less...

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's just not true, study after study shows college graduates make more. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, but there is on average a huge income gap  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that statistic is as telling as some people think.  

There's a lot more "poor" people than there was 20 years ago and the rich people are a lot richer than they were 20 years ago.  Yes, most of those rich people went to college while the poor people didn't.  I think that alone really skewed your statistic.  

You mentioned a Long Island police job and a plumber, there are lots and lots and lots of college graduates who are making good middle class incomes yet aren't making as much as the two jobs you mentioned.

SO it seems like it would be accurate to say that going to college for some random degree isn't going to make you much more money.  You'll only get that if you go to college to be a doctor, lawyer, or businessman.
It's just not true, study after study shows college graduates make more. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, but there is on average a huge income gap  

Yes, I agree college graduates make more.  And it's rising.  Just like the amount that CEOs make is proportionally 25 times more than 20 years ago.  That's gotta play a huge roll in your statistics.  

But the real question is if the guy who went to college and got some average liberal arts degree is making much more than his friend who became an auto mechanic?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Truck, yes. House, no.  
View Quote

this.
a truck is one thing; our home is another thing entirely.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why is that smarty pants?

Could it be that higher ed., has spent the last 60 years making their worthless degrees worth something through legislation and created scarcity?

Oh so you want to be a smart guy..... well you can't be smart without this here paper and ink!.... it's illegal duh!

Fucking scam.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Getting you kids through college without them being ass over ears in debt is the best thing you can do for them.

Is it for everybody. No

I know several rich people that started with a shovel and simply did what they said they would when they said they would for the price they quoted.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS!

I work the same total hours as my engineer counterparts and I make more than them.

Experience means everything.. With that being said... College is now required to make even more money...

Work 1st, college second IMO.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

College envy?

You got me!

It's ok to be butt hurt about paying so much for a piece of paper..... that more and more is worth less and less...

View Quote

What is your job and what did you bring in last year, Mr. Smarty pants?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

College envy?

You got me!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you serious?

OK.

College envy?

You got me!

Believe it or not excelling at a quality university in a worthwhile degree is very hard.  Graduates have shown they have begun to master very complicated fields of endeavor and are prepared to work in that field, understanding its' terminology, culture and concepts.  Who do you think Intel is going to hire to develop their next generation multi-core processors?  Who do you think Wall Street wants programming their financial management software?  Who do you want administering your MRI?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Yeah, let's see her earn the twenty thousand dollars a year an average state college room and board will cost.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I told my daughter the same thing my dad told me "If you want to go to college get a job and pay for it".
Yeah, let's see her earn the twenty thousand dollars a year an average state college room and board will cost.  
I was very fortunate to get an academic scholarship for my undergrad studies. I have friends with over $200k in student loan debt from going to a an expensive mid tier private college.

College is worth it provided you choose a useful major, and don't saddle yourself with debt.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#41]
My mom squandered whatever money my parents had saved up on dumb shit. I'm about halfway through my pre-med studies, but last year cost $28k. Working in coal mines as a maintenance contractor until further notice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Could it be that higher ed., has spent the last 60 years making their worthless degrees worth something through legislation and created scarcity?

Oh so you want to be a smart guy..... well you can't be smart without this here paper and ink!.... it's illegal duh!

Fucking scam.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking scam.

Hahaha wow the butthurt is real.

People who bitch about degrees being worth less and less usually get easy/meaningless degrees and assume the degree is all you need and you should get a paycheck.

I finished my communications degree where's my check!!

Being smart isn't the same as knowing shit, and important distinction to remember.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No car and house.

Go to community college for 2 years and commuting ito a 4 year college s way cheaper that living on campus. More than half of the college expenses is room & board.
View Quote

That's what my son's doing. He's paying for it and living at home.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#45]
No, IMO college is a liberal agenda waste of money.  Get a skill and start saving early, you should come out ahead of all that debt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#46]
What if I live in my truck?  That would put me out on the street.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

53.6% of college grads under the age of 25 are underemployed, or employed in a field unrelated to there degrees.

If college is such a lucrative endeavor, why then does the "student debt" bubble risk the financial stability of our nation?

How many good paying degrees have literally gone extinct?

What is the percentage of college grads that earn "double" relative to the population as a whole?

In fact, I'd like to see who came up with that statistic.... me thinks it's a talking point that is used to rebuff the position, rather than being factual.... who can question statistics though right!

Am I against all college education?, certainly not..... just most.

The very idea that you should need to go into crippling debt, to ensure your financial future, is so ludicrous on it's face that anyone who is paying attention can see that it is a symptom of where we are as a society.

We're in the death throws man.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Why does college debt have to be crippling? Pick a decent school for a decent price, they exist. I worked full time and paid for my apt and shitty car and every other bill while I was in school. Now that I'm working in my field I'm paying off my loans. It's not that hard.

If you gave me the option of my job/paycheck/work hours and student loan debt/payment vs "working hard" and saving my money? HA! That's no fucking choice at all.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I supported myself since i got my first job at 13 working on cars.

I sure as hell wont support a fucking adult. I worked 140 hour weeks as a welder during a dairy boom bc i couldnt go to college. It helped form me into the man i am today. I hope they can get the same experience.

I care about them too much to turn them into worthless fsa pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Believe it or not excelling at a quality university in a worthwhile degree is very hard.  Graduates have shown they have begun to master very complicated fields of endeavor and are prepared to work in that field, understanding its' terminology, culture and concepts.  Who do you think Intel is going to hire to develop their next generation multi-core processors?  Who do you think Wall Street wants programming their financial management software?  Who do you want administering your MRI?
View Quote

I definitely do believe that, and am not speaking to the exceptions, as there are more than a few....

However I will continue to be of the opinion that higher education as a whole, for arguments sake, is a scam.

It has been socially engrained into generations of idiots that if you don't seek out higher education you will surely be destined for failure.... much like the scam of universal healthcare, in which case if you aren't insured, you WILL die... same shit different song.

And while I can agree that higher education will always be relative in it's pure form, the bastardized, corporatized, elitist oligarchy, re-educationist version we have today is an abomination.

If it was a fruitful endeavor why would the act of earning a degree require a loan subsidized by the government either in whole or part?

If it's a good risk, with a promise of return.... why does everyone at some point role the debt over to Uncle Sam?

Why is it the only type of debt that cannot be written off in a bankruptcy filing?

Because it's inherently the most risky issuance of credit.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top