Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, now it is starting to sound more like a cry for help than wanting us to evaluate your lifestyle and workout habits.  Have you sought the help of a professional?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Define "In shape" - it means so many different things to so many different people. Are you trying to lose weight?  gain weight?  Gains strength?  Gain endurance?

All the above. Lose fat and gain muscle. Strength and endurance would follow naturally.

By the way, I am 5'8" and currently 200 lbs. When I started a few years ago I was over 300.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How long have you been doing that ?

Different things than the above (I'm constantly evolving my diet and workout routines, as I learn more about health and fitness), but going on several years now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Spend your time trying to get a freaking life. Do anything you can to break this cycle. Trust me, there are other things in life.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
45 years old, single, and determined to get into top shape. So:

(Mon/Wed/Fri)

4:15AM - wake

4:25AM  - swim (45 minutes)

5:30AM - meal 1 (protein shake, 160 calories)

8:30AM - meal 2 (turkey/cheese on 1/2 pita pocket, 370 calories)

10:30AM - stairmaster (45 minutes)

11:30AM - meal 3 (protein shake, 160 calories)

2:30PM - meal 4 (ham/cheese on 1/2 pita pocket, 380 calories)

4:30PM - weight training (45 minutes)

5:30PM - meal 5 (protein shake, 160 calories)

8:00PM - meal 6 (omlette, 370 calories)

8:30PM - sleep

(Tues/Thurs)

4:25AM  - elliptical (45 minutes)

5:30AM - meal 1 (protein shake, 160 calories)

8:30AM - meal 2 (turkey/cheese on 1/2 pita pocket, 370 calories)

11:30AM - meal 3 (protein shake, 160 calories)

2:30PM - meal 4 (ham/cheese on 1/2 pita pocket, 380 calories)

4:30PM - weight training (45 minutes)

5:30PM - meal 5 (protein shake, 160 calories)

8:00PM - meal 6 (chicken, almonds, 370 calories)

Sat

6:00AM - bicycle (45 minutes)

4:00PM - weight training (45 minutes)

Sun

day of rest

Year divided into 4 three month-long training cycles of increasing/decreasing intensity (Winter/Spring/Summer/Fall) or Easy/Moderate/Hard/Moderate

Winter: 1 cardio, 1 weight traing session per day (12 workouts/week)

Spring/Fall: see above schedule (15 workouts/week)

Summer: 2 cardio, 1 weight training session per day (18 workouts per week)

8 weeks training, then 1 week off. Continual. Been doing it for over a year now.

Would you say I am determined, or demented?

This for sure.   Who wants to live like that?   You never even mentioned time to fart.  Breaking wind is especially critical in any get in shape regimen.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define "In shape" - it means so many different things to so many different people. Are you trying to lose weight?  gain weight?  Gains strength?  Gain endurance?

All the above. Lose fat and gain muscle. Strength and endurance would follow naturally.

By the way, I am 5'8" and currently 200 lbs. When I started a few years ago I was over 300.

I have a friend who has already been through one divorce.  Late '30s.

He 6'4 and built like a brick shithouse.

Problem is, I swear he is like a male anorexic.  He blames all of his issues with women on his body, thinking if he could just lose more fat, etc.  Truth is, all women think he is in very good shape physically and tend to be initially very physically attracted to him.  It's is personality that is the issue.  You can never convince someone of that, though.  Meanwhile, he obsesses over his "6 pack" and chases the type of women impressed by that.  What can you do?  I'm just glad for his sake that he still has his hair.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to mix things up a bit and allow for other activities.  Especially social ones.

I'm pretty anti-social. I don't fit in anywhere. I don't make freinds easily. I own a lot of guns. Sound familiar?

Quoted:
Balance is important-you are putting a lot of eggs in one basket.  What happens if you have an injury and are out for a while.  That could lead to depression (I know).  

I'm depressed already. Have been pretty much my whole life.

Then what you're wanting isn't going to be found in the gym. If you keep that up you are going to get burnt out and balloon up to where you were, ask me how I know. You need to have some form of social interaction/hobbies/time away.

And if you want some form of social life, there is no easy way to make it happen. You just have to put yourself out there and not give a fuck where the cards fall. Don't approach it with the drive you have for your workouts. You have to let worrying about what everybody else thinks go and just say fuck it, I'm gonna have a good time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The eating sounds a bit much.  I can grok your workout schedule though.
Mine ain't too much different and I am trailing right behind you at 44:

Monday:  AM-Run medium-long distance or do bike/run brick (depending on the season and the weather)
              PM-Lift.

Tues:  AM=Swim 2400 yards
         PM-Lift

Wed: AM-Long run or long bike/run brick.
        PM-Lift

Thurs: AM-Swim 3000 yards (Last time I got up waay early and ran 6 miles, then ate breakfast, took the kids to school and THEN hit the pool and swam the 3000.  That felt kinda good.)

Friday:  AM-Run medium distance or do short bike/run brick
           PM-Lift.

Saturday is either a rest day or a make-up day if I missed something due to scheduling.

Sunday:  AM-Either medium/long run or a long bike.

But I eat three meals a day and while I practice portion control, I don't make a science of food.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Extremely amazing that you don't have any work in your work-out schedule!

I'm at work from 6:30am to 3:30pm. Sitting in a cube, doing nothing physical....I am a cartographer.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow, thats alot of weight lost. Is that you in yer avatar?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Not enough masterbation...
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
that's so, extreme its Xtreme.

I thought you were gonna say you fly around in your private plane and climb Everast or swim the English channel  and shit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only you can decide, OP. if you are happy and getting the results you want, go for it.

I'm getting results.

I'm not happy.

Grab a Pizza, a Bar Whore and bang away.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, you're pretty much nucking futs!
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Come on Nancy.
Pick it up a bit.
I know you can do better.  

Besides, it seems most of the people here are only concerned with post counts.  whores.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, OP, you're single  and middle aged, looking to get into shape hardcore style

And possibly looking for a girlfriend?

Maybe even have your eye on one in particular?

Maybe she's even a liitle younger than you?

or not

All the above.

Dude,
       relax, cool down and play in your own litter box(Age wise)
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#18]
i had a life like that once.  

gave it up.  my choice.  brother got butt cancer, folks were crazy from alz-hex-ur-kin.  quite my good job in the city, went cattle ranchin' at the home place.  

driest in years, beat the bottom offa the '50s.  made $50 in a year.  no foolin'.  

went to work for a livin' again.  lost 50 lbs.  toss bags of concrete and bundles of shingles at Home Despot every day, wear a white bandana under my hat to soak up my old man sweat.  

buried both my folks.  have full health insurance and a Pension Plan for the Future.  Better up front than the Arsehole Lawyer ever did for me, and i worked 50+'s for him every week.  for over 10 years.  the last three years without any kinda vacation at all.  

i see what you're sayin' sir, and while it may not be for me (burp from a ribeye) it may be for you.  been there done that.  lost a lotta weight without surgery.  life's good to me, hope it is for you.  

women come and go.  just like buses.  i admire your tenacity.  i think you need to hang out more with gym bunnies.  you prolly look better than me.  but i can throw you over my (paid for) house, i bet.  

peace dude.  do what you want.  hope you don't let anything said here influence you any, it's just all internet jetsam.  

-tom
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow, thats alot of weight lost. Is that you in yer avatar?

Yes it's me. I've had to spend a lot of money on new clothes because of the weight loss.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Amateur hour.

Don't even worry about it.

Go talk to dudes your (our) age who are into competitive cycling, running, triathlon or other such sports.

You are talking 10 - 15 hours weekly aerobic training as very common.

Don't worry about it. Press on.

- Z
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Mon & Thurs: Arms (Barbell Curls/Dumbell Curls/Tricep Extensions/French Press)

Tues & Fri: Chest (Bench Press/Flies/Shoulder Press/Upright Rows)

Wed & Sat: Legs & Back (Squats/Deadlift/Lunges/Bent Over Rows)
Way too much. You're hitting arms basically 4 days in a row...

Concentrate on more complex movements. Look into a 5x5 program...specifically the more advanced ones.  Good start: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm

I'm a big fan of protein powder due to convenience...but if you're in a cube all day, grabbing a can of tuna or chicken instead will be good for you. Also...what kind of protein are you using?  Casein during the day/night and concentrate/isolate pre/post workout are generally best (with hydrolyzed ones being even better pre/post)

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm at work from 6:30am to 3:30pm. Sitting in a cube, doing nothing physical....I am a cartographer.

i know this is a radical thought, but why don't you go to the range and go shooting with an old .22.  won't cost much, and you'll feel better,  

just a thought...

-tom

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only you can decide, OP. if you are happy and getting the results you want, go for it.

I'm getting results.

I'm not happy.

That's good.  Happiness is one of the greatest motivation killers of all time.  You'll have greater success as long as you keep that chip on your shoulder.

However, what is your long term goal besides just getting in shape?  Is there a race or a triathlon you're considering in the near future?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#24]
SMOKE SOME WEED ALREADY.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, have you done any work with Falcon View or Talon View ? Any work with the old NIMA ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Amateur hour.

Don't even worry about it.

Go talk to dudes your (our) age who are into competitive cycling, running, triathlon or other such sports.

You are talking 10 - 15 hours weekly aerobic training as very common.

Don't worry about it. Press on.

- Z

I used to do that: mainly bicycling, hours at a time. Then I read several studies that made the point that working out over 45 minutes in one session is counter-productive, due to release of stress hormones such as Cortisol, and the resultant catabolism. After I adopted the 45 minute rule, I started making great progress.

Funny thing about those bicyclists: skinny, yes, but no muscle mass to speak of- they burned it up for fuel.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Yah, pretty extreme. And, at the very least unsustainable.

But hey, whatever makes your voices quiet.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm getting results.

I'm not happy.

That's good.  Happiness is one of the greatest motivation killers of all time.  You'll have greater success as long as you keep that chip on your shoulder.

However, what is your long term goal besides just getting in shape?  Is there a race or a triathlon you're considering in the near future?

I'm not interested in competitions of any kind. I want to find someone and start a family. I may have waited too long though.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
SMOKE SOME WEED ALREADY.

I've never done any kind of drug. I have no interest in such things.

Booze, yes....I was in the Marines.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Intense, not extreme though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, have you done any work with Falcon View or Talon View ? Any work with the old NIMA ?

MapInfo and now ArcInfo. I'm re-designing my division's maps from scratch, so that is fun.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to mix things up a bit and allow for other activities.  Especially social ones.

I'm pretty anti-social. I don't fit in anywhere. I don't make freinds easily. I own a lot of guns. Sound familiar?

Quoted:
Balance is important-you are putting a lot of eggs in one basket.  What happens if you have an injury and are out for a while.  That could lead to depression (I know).  

I'm depressed already. Have been pretty much my whole life.

No wonder you're depressed , hell , you live in CA !
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#33]
No wonder you're single
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't forget to make time for fapping.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Its never too late for these kinds of things.

If anything, go sign up on a dating website. I don't have any personal experience, but how could it hurt?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#36]
When it comes to the food, you have to do more than count calories.  If your turkey and ham are packaged sandwich slices, you're taking in too much sodium.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm getting results.

I'm not happy.

That's good. Happiness is one of the greatest motivation killers of all time. You'll have greater success as long as you keep that chip on your shoulder.

However, what is your long term goal besides just getting in shape? Is there a race or a triathlon you're considering in the near future?

I'm not interested in competitions of any kind.  All dolled up with no where to go?  If you're getting into great shape, why not test yourself?

I want to find someone and start a family. I may have waited too long though.  Nonsense.  Most men can reproduce right up to their elderly years.  You're on the right track in getting ship-shape, now go out and start selling the goods.  Another reason to jump into a fun run - meet some hot womenz.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Its never too late for these kinds of things.

If anything, go sign up on a dating website. I don't have any personal experience, but how could it hurt?

I have, starting a few months back. No connections yet. This is California....conservative women are few and far between. I can't fucking stand leftists. Plus, so many are vegetarians....

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
SMOKE SOME WEED ALREADY.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#40]
ETA:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a question, but how do you have the time? Are you retired or something?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

No, I work 40 hours a week (I go to the gym instead of lunch, one block away). And, I have no life.

OP, wouldn't you rather have a little more LIFE in your life?  All you really gotta do is cut certain things out of your diet and mix it up with good cardio exercising, such as running and swimming, and you'll be in plenty-good shape.  And you won't wanna commit suicide after indulging a little here and there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, OP, you're single  and middle aged, looking to get into shape hardcore style

And possibly looking for a girlfriend?

Maybe even have your eye on one in particular?

Maybe she's even a liitle younger than you?

or not

All the above.

I don't know if any of the following applies to your situation but I'll throw it out there anyway

Here's the problem, your putting all this effort into getting in shape, probably hoping to get this girl, end result "happiness"

I see this type of thing and I really hate to say this but, if it didn't happen before you lost the weight ( or bought the nice car, or got the nice clothes and expensive watch, whatever) it's not likely to happen. Women are pretty intuitive, they usually pick up on it pretty quick when someones into them. If she hasn't made any moves it's probably not because she thinks you need to get in shape (or doesn't like your car). If she knows you are into her and you aren't up front with her you will likely end up creeping her out.

Sounds like you might have fixated on this girl, maybe convinced youself she's perfect for you and if you can just do what it takes to make her interested in you, then you will be happy.

Here's the problem, maybe it does work out and you end up with this girl, your expectation is that you will then be happy. Maybe you will be, for a while, but because you feel you need this relationship to be happy you will likely be co-dependent, you may worry about her leaving you, you may end up sabotaging the relationship because you can't give her space.

You need to figure out what the real issue is, learn to be happy with yourself while your single, and then think about starting a relationship.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#42]
How much time have you allowed to sit on pot with all those protein drinks? You need a lot more solid food.

6 egg whites add green peppers  and oat meal with water in the AM
Apple for snack

Turkey on wheat for lunch add some raw carrots or a veggie

Protein bar or shake before work out

Chicken breast or turkey with salad/ no dressing for dinner

Light snack of low fat peanut butter on toast

You more fruits and colored veggies.Peppers, oranges, bananas celery, broccoli, spinach...etc,
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Dude, you're going to burn out. 3 workouts a day on 1600 calories? You need to eat more, or you won't maintain it. You also need some fat. You are eating pretty much NO fat right now. Your body needs it.

to put this in perspective, I workout 6 days a week, very hard. I weight 180 and am 5' 9" and about 10% BF right now. I clear about 3,500 calories a day. If I wanted to lose more fat I'd cut that down obviously, but 1,600 would leave me weak, slow, and all kinds of pissed off.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm getting results.

I'm not happy.

I'm not interested in competitions of any kind. I want to find someone and start a family. I may have waited too long though.

If you want to find someone and start a family living a barren, Spartan lifestyle isn't the way to do it.

There's nothing wrong with working out, but damn dude, give it a rest. Kick back, relax, have a few beers and talk to some women, do something stupid and make some friends.

Being in shape isn't what's going to start a relationship, socializing is.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What happens if you have an injury and are out for a while.  That could lead to depression (I know).

It is demoralizing as hell. Been there.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't think that's too crazy at all. I eat 6 meals a day, walk my dog most days, and lift 5-6 times per week. That is my lifestyle.

ETA: I'm not single, and I've had full time jobs with up to a 1.5hr commute one way to work while living this way. It's not a big deal when it is the way you enjoy living.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Nothing wrong with what you're doing but why you're doing it. It's not gonna get you a mate. Judging by your avatar, you're not an ugly guy. You need to find a way to put yourself out there. Maybe a change in scenery could do you good.

By all means, keep up your regiment but don't think it will make you happy. In order to get that, you have to address the root of the problem.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

When it comes to the food, you have to do more than count calories.  If your turkey and ham are packaged sandwich slices, you're taking in too much sodium.

I'm guessing he's drinking a gallon of water a day, with that much cardio, sodium shouldn't be an issue for him.

My workout is similar, 1.5-2hrs a day in the gym, 5 days a week, half weights, half cardio.  Going through a divorce, losing my home, and moved back in with my parents to be with my Dad whose cancer is back.

The poster above who said working out is like a drug is absolutely right.  I love the endorphines I get from working out, I love the progress I am making in strength, endurance, and in looks.  Vain as it may be, it is a helluva confidence booster at a time when it feels like life is taking a big giant crap on you.

Better than drinking yourself to death or eating bags of cheesy poofs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quality of Life issues.  All things in moderation.

Congrats on having the drive for it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#50]
45 years old, single

(Mon/Wed/Fri)

4:25AM  - drink beer (45 minutes)

5:30AM - meal 1 (chips, ranch dip, fried cheese sticks, chocolate chip cookies, 1600 calories)

8:30AM - meal 2 (deep fried turkey/cheese on 3 slices of white bread with mayonnaise, 1370 calories)

10:30AM - drink soda (45 minutes)

11:30AM - meal 3 (2 Big Macs, vanilla shake, 1060 calories)

2:30PM - meal 4 (deep fried ham/cheese sandwich on white with 1/2 pound of fries, 1380 calories)

4:30PM - drink beer (45 minutes)

5:30PM - meal 5 (KFC 2 person meal & 56 ounces of soda, 1600 calories)

8:00PM - meal 6 (bacon, sausage, pancakes, hash browns, omelette, 1370 calories)

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top