BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because JHP ammo, when it expands, often under penetrates in marginal calibers like .380 and .38Spc
View Quote
Maybe in a snub, but the 38 gives up little to nothing vs 9mm in equal length bbls except capacity, and way outperforms it if you load it to its capability.

Grab a load manual from the 70s and see what standard pressure 38 loads look like some time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Dad is old school and we had this debate over the weekend.

What is the hive's opinion?
View Quote

If you end up unharmed after the first few shots and the BG has taken cover, a nice full waddcutter will bite real good on a partially exposed head.  Better than a jacketed bullet for sure.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is a .357 bullet weighing 158gr going 900fps considered marginal but a .355 bullet weighing 147gr going 950fps is not?
View Quote
I think it's because the 9mm is a Nazi round, so that makes it extra lethal.
View Quote
It kills with hate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Back in the old days we hot loaded hollow base wadcutters backward as personal defense ammo.  
View Quote
THIS

That was what I did until serrated-edge jacketed hollowpoints became readily available.  I put many of those backwards wadcutter loads through my Model 29 back in the day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hollow base wadcutters loaded backwards.  
View Quote
Don't forget to crimp a gas check on the nose before you seat it as the base of the round in that application.  I saw some rounds that guys were testing VERY hot loads with that blew the base out of the rounds without using a gas check.  Lots of cursing employed to get the rest of the round out of the barrel when that occurred.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The OP didn't say anything about a 2" barrel or heavy clothing.  Why would you carry wadcutters when you could carry something that will perform far better under a lot of circumstances?  I don't see the point of saying that you might face a situation where the JHP doesn't have a significant advantage.
View Quote
Read the thread title ....
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#7]
nvm
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I am one of Mas Ayoob's senior instructors and Mas recommends wadcutters for snubbies.  Yhey are also a good general defense round for all 38 Specials.  They cut a nice hole in a cadaver and expand quite evenly .  They tend to stay inside a body also. Go to Evan Marshalls site and you should be able to get to an old evaluation of these loads.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP didn't say anything about a 2" barrel or heavy clothing.  Why would you carry wadcutters when you could carry something that will perform far better under a lot of circumstances?  I don't see the point of saying that you might face a situation where the JHP doesn't have a significant advantage.
Jeebus man.  Read the thread.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Wife has 148 grain wadcutter in a 642.

Do they bounce off or something.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have some 148 LWC loaded normal for my LCR, but use the 125 Speer +P JHP for carry
I have 185 LWC for the 2.5" Bulldog, but use the 200 gr Silvertip for carry

THe LWC's work well in both though and I wouldn't lose any sleep using them for SD
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Feel free to go back to talking about the eclipse, Taylor Swift and trannies, leave the gun talk to the big kids.
View Quote
LOL...TRUTH
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#13]
better than RNL

I prefer Gold Dots, Golden sabers, or winchester defenders in my snubbie

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am one of Mas Ayoob's senior instructors and Mas recommends wadcutters for snubbies.  Yhey are also a good general defense round for all 38 Specials.  They cut a nice hole in a cadaver and expand quite evenly .  They tend to stay inside a body also. Go to Evan Marshalls site and you should be able to get to an old evaluation of these loads.
View Quote
He also claims he killed a snake with the "shockwave" of a .357 sig
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#15]
158 hardcast Keith at 1250fps
Or
150 hardcast wad cutter at 850fps

If I was stuck with a snubbie I'd use the bottom. A good model 10 or 15 I'd prefer the top one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Underwood 150 gr. LWC is not a bad choice
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Load them hot and backwards.  

I wouldn't want to get shot by one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Dead soft 158g hollow points.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#20]
In a snubbie, I like the Golden Saber better than the old SWC HP 158

.38 Special +P Remington Golden Saber Ammo Gel Test

Buffalo Bore .38 Special 158 gr Semiwadcutter Ammo Test
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#21]
If it was still 1960.

Joking aside, a Flat point does much better for tissue disruption than a round nose or SWC, Compared to some of to some of the older and some of the newer, especially Com-block and European HP's I would still take the Wad Cutter.
In comparison to a modern top tier JHP, No.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]
When I load 38 I will always make sure I load a few hundred wad cutters before I switch to the next caliber.

I've found them to be a nice and easy to shoot all day long, and it's fun to see the clean holes on paper.

When I've loaded them backwards I make sure I add a gas check.

Have some that I've loaded in the past that I wouldn't feel unsafe using in some speed strips and if I'm carrying that gun I'll load them up.
My go too was gold dots and then the short barrel gold dots but I've heard or read (with picture evidence) that there isn't enough speed to get them fully opened sometimes.

Never had that issue with the wad cutters and I've shot a ton of both at milk jugs, need to dig out the jar I have of both that were recovered, not all the gold dots expanded
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dead soft 158g hollow points.
View Quote
Speer used to make those with half jackets. I got too much barrel leading with soft cast bullets.
One of my old Handloading books showed a guy loading three 50gr WCs into a 38 Spl case for a self defense load. Those WCs looked like super short Double Ended WCs with a single lube groove. They were little "flying saucers".
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You don't need the "hive's opinion".

Doc GKR explains it well in the Arfcom FAQs about Best Ammo.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#mozTocId147912

Basically, full wadcutters do about as well as JHPs out of a snub nosed revolver against the 4 layer denim test.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Misc_Images/DocGKR/38_Sp_BUG_load_sample.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need the "hive's opinion".

Doc GKR explains it well in the Arfcom FAQs about Best Ammo.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#mozTocId147912

Basically, full wadcutters do about as well as JHPs out of a snub nosed revolver against the 4 layer denim test.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Misc_Images/DocGKR/38_Sp_BUG_load_sample.jpg
This.

I carry 148 grain full wadcutters in my 642 because its fine as long as I do my part, theres basically no recoil, and it shoots right to the sights, and it will get plenty of penetration even with the low velocity.

I've been assured by GD in several other threads, that if I don't have the latest and greatest in +P technology I'll get "Killt in the Skreets".
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#25]
My 642 has been loaded with them for years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#26]
You see the term wadcutter and think of a bullet that cuts paper only. A lead bullet will do what lead does upon impact with something other than paper. It deforms, expands, and does what a bullet does. There are all sorts of tricks ammo makers have come up with to get expansion from short barrels, be it a ballistic tip, soft poly ball under the jacket nose, or any other device to get the bullet to expand reliably. Lead has no problem deforming when it hit a target. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:22:04 AM EDT
[#27]
New Federal HST's in 38 special. Should shut this thread down.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I just picked up a 75 gr wadcutter mold off the EE here.  Spent a few hours casting/powdercoating 500 of them last night to experiment.  Going to double the projectile and load as a 148 wadcutter.

Just something to mess around with.

Lyman-Ideal 358101  4 cavity.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Perfect first post.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Back in the old days we hot loaded hollow base wadcutters backward as personal defense ammo.
View Quote
Can't believe it took 16 posts to get here.  Seated backwards they're nasty.  If they managed to get plugged up they still make a hole.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Penetration is still more important.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you end up unharmed after the first few shots and the BG has taken cover, a nice full waddcutter will bite real good on a partially exposed head.  Better than a jacketed bullet for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily.  My friend Gus got a solid head hit with a .38 wadcutter after being hit himself.  Didn't penetrate the skull---the guy drove to Mississippi and walked in to an ER telling a fairy tale about being robbed.  Fortunately, the MHP trooper who was first to respond had gotten the BOLO on the description of the guy who had shot one of our officers, and he was caught.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wife has 148 grain wadcutter in a 642.

Do they bounce off or something.
View Quote
If not loaded hot, they don't do well against barriers.  The thick glass at the front of a Popeye's, for instance, can deflect them.  The same could not be said for the 9mm rounds (presumably FMJ, but I don't know,) which were fired back from the inside of the restaurant.  

In short, they aren't useless, but there's far better choices out there---especially if you are going to download them for reduced recoil/ease of shooting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
New Federal HST's in 38 special. Should shut this thread down.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/FP_PPD_38SPL_HST_Micro_R_130gr_lg.jpg
View Quote
I'll wait for credible gel test results
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The shoulders of the wadcutter rounds cut tissue nicely. Better, in fact, than many poorly performing HP rounds.

Some of the best snub experts I know carry .38 target wadcutters in their revolvers because the recoil is manageable, the loads are well regulated for the sights, and they do a pretty good job through anything but heavy clothing.
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not necessarily.  My friend Gus got a solid head hit with a .38 wadcutter after being hit himself.  Didn't penetrate the skull---the guy drove to Mississippi and walked in to an ER telling a fairy tale about being robbed.  Fortunately, the MHP trooper who was first to respond had gotten the BOLO on the description of the guy who had shot one of our officers, and he was caught.
View Quote
That doesn't necessarily mean it didn't work better than a jacketed bullet but I see your point.  BTW, can you confirm it was FWC and not SWC or other waddcutter configuration?  We need to look at it over a much larger population and compare jacketed to FWC.  I'm pretty sure the concept has been thoroughly vetted.  Let google be your friend.

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just get a Glock. You can thank me later.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That doesn't necessarily mean it didn't work better than a jacketed bullet but I see your point.  BTW, can you confirm it was FWC and now SWC or other waddcutter configuration?  We need to look at it over a much larger population and compare jacketed to FWC.  I'm pretty sure the concept has been thoroughly vetted.  Let google be your friend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't necessarily mean it didn't work better than a jacketed bullet but I see your point.  BTW, can you confirm it was FWC and now SWC or other waddcutter configuration?  We need to look at it over a much larger population and compare jacketed to FWC.  I'm pretty sure the concept has been thoroughly vetted.  Let google be your friend.
A Deputy who works at my local Sheriff's Office got shot in the head with a 145 grain Winchester Silvertip, .357 Magnum. It didn't penetrate either, luckily.

It went in, and followed his skull around, under his scalp, popping out on the side.

ETA:

What does that mean? Bullets do funny things when they impact people... sometimes a bullet performs brilliantly, sometimes it doesn't.

Thats why shot placement, and recoil control is so important.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#41]
My choice, in nearly all revolvers, is heavy Keith bullets.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A Deputy who works at my local Sheriff's Office got shot in the head with a 145 grain Winchester Silvertip, .357 Magnum. It didn't penetrate either, luckily.

It went in, and followed his skull around, under his scalp, popping out on the side.

ETA:

What does that mean? Bullets do funny things when they impact people... sometimes a bullet performs brilliantly, sometimes it doesn't.

Thats why shot placement, and recoil control is so important.
View Quote
It's crazy how much meat there is between your scalp and skull.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
^This
Ammunition has come a long way since the 70's. Buy some premium self defense ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That doesn't necessarily mean it didn't work better than a jacketed bullet but I see your point.  BTW, can you confirm it was FWC and not SWC or other waddcutter configuration?  We need to look at it over a much larger population and compare jacketed to FWC.  I'm pretty sure the concept has been thoroughly vetted.  Let google be your friend.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a full wadcutter.  At the time it's what we were issued.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Awesome replies, thank you everyone!

Dad pretty much always has two guns on him.  His snubby on his ankle and a 1911 of some sort elsewhere.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top