BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Second, as to the other contractors, the folks on the support side:  Congress sets the troop limits for the military, they also provide the funds.  The military has figured out that for every job that they contract out, thats more bodies that they can put into war fighting jobs.  Replace 100 admin clerks and 50 helo mechs and 25 instructors at the school house at each base with contractors, who in most cases bring with them much more insitutional knowledge than the average soldier, and who can dedicate 100% of their time to the job (no CTT, range qual, motor stables) and before you know it you have the numbers to stand up a new infantry battalion.  

Bingo.

Also, you've got specialities that the DOD doesn't have (this would be a big chunk of Federal sector consulting), or jobs that other agencies need to do and don't have either.

2 DynCorp guys died in that helicopter crash two weeks ago. They were there training cops, IIRC. This is because somebody has to train the Iraqi cops, the Iraqis can't do it yet, and the military can't spare the MPs. So DynCorp (and others probably) got told "we need cops to train cops. Get it done" and away they go.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#2]
120K to risk your life if that all they are paying. If you go there for that it seems too low to risk your life.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#3]
There are plenty of jobs for contractors in Iraq that don't go outside the wire and really are quite safe - in paticular the company I work for (KBR).  Taking this job has been the best decision I've made career wise.  Any members in G6 feel free to come by the KBR F&A office and ask for the cigar guy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dont understand why it keeps being stated that contractors "must have prior military experience" when much of the time they are simply guarding a building with guns, guarding in a convoy or doing body guard work on foot.

Seems to me anyone could be taught how to do that. It's not like contractors are assaulting any strongpoints or doing raids.

- rem

Prior military experience generally assures the employer that you know something. You can bet that generic military experience isn't going to be enough. I doubt I could get hired by some of the better companies, and I've done a tour in Iraq already.

The guards you are talking about do more than normal security guards here in the States. There is often actual combat involved. Additionally, no company wants to train you to do anything, with the exception of Blackwater, who will run you through their acadamy for $20,000. You need to know what you are doing before you apply.

I have a friend who simply had prior mil experience and got hired on without a problem, until they found out he was taking some medication (I don't know what).  If it had not been for that, he would be getting back . . . in late March.  No spec. ops, no GB or any of that noise, he was simply a SGT with 15 years (obstinate SOB).

What company?

Not all companies are equal in quality or standards.

Depending on the work they want you to do, they should be looking for experience in related fields. For PSD work, driving, shooting, EP experience, some medical skills, and various combat training and experience are all good.

There are some companies that don't care if you have alot of experience. Some don't care if you have ever spent a day training for the job you are applying for. If you don't care that the guy watching your back may have nothing more than ambition going for him, these companies are great.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There are plenty of jobs for contractors in Iraq that don't go outside the wire and really are quite safe

You cant reason with keyboard commandos. They talk all shit hot on the board but when it comes time to go and do it $120K aint enough.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top