Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.  Any change in vector requires acceleration.  Acceleration means pulling Gs.

However, there is no aerodynamic turning in space.  It won't be wings, it'll be thrust vectoring that does the work.

Visual range combat between two small vessels in space will NOT happen unless both ships run out of all kinds of ammo
and have to resort to throwing the contents of their tool kits at each other.

Thus, there will be no dogfighting.    Nor would such maneuvering resemble aerial dogfighting in any way.   Without aerodynamic
lift and drag,  no way, no chance, no how.

Spacecraft do not maneuver like aircraft.

View Quote

For any kind of "dogfight" to occur, you'd need devices that are essentially ball turrets.

Two vehicles manuvering near to each other (i.e. "within visual range of each other," as CM puts it) will be manuvering via their main engine; no wings will be possible as there is no air in space.

One POSSIBLE exception is if there are "wings" (i.e. long struts mounted on either side of the craft) with large engines on them. This would be horribly expensive to run; the fuel requirements would be quite large.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No.

Never ask a man who has had a couple of drinks if he has any thoughts about inertial forces in a zero g environment.
View Quote

Fpni FPF
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes.

Inertia is a bitch regardless of gravity.
View Quote

Reality sucks, or Newton take your pic
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Inertia's inertia, bro. The laws of physics apply everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
yes  he has to be strapped in to avoid getting bashed around the inside.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Indeed they would.

I believe the Star Furies from the Babylon 5 Universe depict  the most accurate portrayal of a fighter craft maneuvering in space.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Physics do not change when you go in space.  If you change your vector you will experience "g-forces" no matter where you are.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Uh, yes.

Duh
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
For any kind of "dogfight" to occur, you'd need devices that are essentially ball turrets.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/franksymptoms/russian-european-manned-spacecraft1-with-ball-turret_zpsda1be508.jpg

Two vehicles manuvering near to each other (i.e. "within visual range of each other," as CM puts it) will be manuvering via their main engine; no wings will be possible as there is no air in space.

One POSSIBLE exception is if there are "wings" (i.e. long struts mounted on either side of the craft) with large engines on them. This would be horribly expensive to run; the fuel requirements would be quite large.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  Any change in vector requires acceleration.  Acceleration means pulling Gs.

However, there is no aerodynamic turning in space.  It won't be wings, it'll be thrust vectoring that does the work.

Visual range combat between two small vessels in space will NOT happen unless both ships run out of all kinds of ammo

Thus, there will be no dogfighting.    Nor would such maneuvering resemble aerial dogfighting in any way.   Without aerodynamic

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/franksymptoms/russian-european-manned-spacecraft1-with-ball-turret_zpsda1be508.jpg

That's not a starfighter, THIS is a starfighter

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Of course wre do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do astronauts masturbate in space?

Of course wre do.

Speak for yourself. I never did.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Engaging warp engines must be a bitch if your asshole is pointed the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I've heard that astronauts wear diapers due to G's durring take off, since too prolonged G forces make you shit yourself.

Now it's a poop thread
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#15]
This has got to be the simplest science question presented to GD ever, and the first post still managed to fuck it up.

Damn.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#16]
yes..  thats why we can't ever travel the speed of light,,,  things will have an infinite mass
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Colonel McQueen pulling G's in space like a motherfucker...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M07ltuAYqzc
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Only if he was full blown retarded and dint understand that 0 gravity = 0 G... clearly the op is part of this group.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#19]
A "G" is a measurement of acceleration. When a starfighter turns, it would point in the desired direction and fire its engines.

Better question, why have a starfighter in the first place? There is nothing it can do that a fully fledged starship cannot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#21]
This is why, in twenty years when fighter spacecraft are common, I will invent a device that produces a momentary gravitational field allowing the pilot in the craft to feel 1g while his craft pulls 6+g maneuvers, accomplished by simply pulling a cord between his legs. I will call my new invention......the "G-String".
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Only when he activates Death Blossom.
View Quote

Oh really

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/s4zq.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/5250/s4zq.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/s4zq.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/5250/s4zq.jpg</a>

This is the LAST star fighter...

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Newton says yes.  And I trust Newton...
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Then how come none of the crew ends up pancacked to back of the Enterprise when it jumps to warp speed?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Very much yes.

Spinning sections of ships could be used to create artificial gravity for instance... but that's for large ships.  

For small ships you would want to place the pilot as close to the Center of Mass of the craft as possible to minimize the effects.  But any change in direction like spinning around using your RCS thrusters or firing you main engines will be felt as g-forces by the pilot.  Acceleration = g-force whether it's in a straight line or rotational.
And to my fellow B5 fan above.  Yes.  If there are ever to be star fighters in the real world... they would look like the Star Fury.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#27]
inertia exists even in space.yes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Then how come none of the crew ends up pancacked to back of the Enterprise when it jumps to warp speed?
View Quote

Warp bubble

/thread

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Very much yes.

Spinning sections of ships could be used to create artificial gravity for instance... but that's for large ships.  

For small ships you would want to place the pilot as close to the Center of Mass of the craft as possible to minimize the effects.  But any change in direction like spinning around using your RCS thrusters or firing you main engines will be felt as g-forces by the pilot.  Acceleration = g-force whether it's in a straight line or rotational.
And to my fellow B5 fan above.  Yes.  If there are ever to be star fighters in the real world... they would look like the Star Fury.
View Quote

Viper Mk VII's make more sense.  Keep the engines close to the ship and use thrusters to change vector.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Because it is make believe!!!

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yes. Any change in vector requires acceleration. Acceleration means pulling Gs.

However, there is no aerodynamic turning in space. It won't be wings, it'll be thrust vectoring that does the work.

Thus, there will be no dogfighting. Nor would such maneuvering resemble aerial dogfighting in any way. Without aerodynamic

lift and drag, no way, no chance, no how.

View Quote

Did someone say Vector?!?!?!?!

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's not really, buddy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A "G" is a measurement of acceleration. When a starfighter turns, it would point in the desired direction and fire its engines.

Better question, why have a starfighter in the first place? There is nothing it can do that a fully fledged starship cannot.
View Quote

Thrust to mass ratio. How  much inertia do you need to overcome.

A smaller fight would be more maneuverable,
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yes.

View Quote
unless your in a fluid filled cockpit...

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Warp bubble

/thread

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Warp bubble

/thread

I thought it was inertial dampers....
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes. Any change in vector requires acceleration. Acceleration means pulling Gs.
However, there is no aerodynamic turning in space. It won't be wings, it'll be thrust vectoring that does the work.
Thus, there will be no dogfighting. Nor would such maneuvering resemble aerial dogfighting in any way. Without aerodynamic
lift and drag, no way, no chance, no how.

Did someone say Vector?!?!?!?!
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/13700000/Vector-the-shrink-ray-despicable-me-13771066-616-315.jpg

Roger Murdock: Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is why, in twenty years when fighter spacecraft are common, I will invent a device that produces a momentary gravitational field allowing the pilot in the craft to feel 1g while his craft pulls 6+g maneuvers, accomplished by simply pulling a cord between his legs. I will call my new invention......the "G-String".
View Quote

MY   device simply requires the pilot to... wear it... under his   her uniform.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because the Enterprise (and all starships of the Star Trek universe) encapsulate the entire ship within a "space warp bubble." Inside that bubble, a virtual universe is maintained separate from (but attached to) the universe from which it came. This enables the ship to travel at high speeds relative to the "real" universe. No one feels acceleration within the "warp bubble."

Or something like that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes but it would be g's in a angular momentum sense. Think about driving a car and making a hard turn. You feel the force pushing you towards the direction of the turn. The same would apply in space.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:14:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

All that does is turn your whole cockpit into a big g-suit.

You still feel the g's, but you won't be as likely to pass out.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:22:54 AM EDT
[#42]
OKAY,

FESS UP!

They accuse me here of alluding to secret squirrel stuff!

So what

mission do you know of that actually achieved space flight?
________________________________________________________________________________
("Time to face destiny!"--crook
"Time to face gravity!"--007 turning him into shredded tweet, (w,stte), "Die another day")
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:27:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Sounds like a few people here skipped too many physical science classes in the 7th grade.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:29:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Is this a joke, or trolling thread?  Did someone ask this seriously?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:31:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Threads like this make it easier to understand how Obama got elected.....twice!
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:32:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Needs more Starfighters... and of course they feel Gs

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:36:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yes.

View Quote

yes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:37:23 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote
The real question is: Will a starfiigher pull G's if they are on a treadmill?

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:39:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do astronauts masturbate in space?

Of course wre do.

Space shuttle door gunners do not. gotta keep the gun hand relaxed and ready at all times.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:37:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They pull twice the G's but in the opposite direction.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top