BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Samantha Powers has zero authority to set US policy.  She, like all diplomats, gets her positions dictated to her by career State bureaucrats.  One doesn't become a FSO if you have any desire or hopes of thinking for yourself and acting with anything resembling autonomy.  Sometimes the politically connected types are actually a breath of fresh air in this regard.

Regardless, what the US government believes is worth doing "something" about is a different question than what we - collectively or individually - should "care" about.
View Quote

I think you underestimate the influence that Sunstein, Powers and their ilk have had in basically dismantling the Wilsonian consensus and its policies of non-proliferation and collective security within US foreign policy. Instead, we get R2P. Really, we should be sending US forces to aid our adversaries because a bunch of Yazidis who had 15 years to build their own army are now getting rounded up?

I feel for the child dying of thirst or exposure in some hell hole mountain in Northern Iraq as we speak. Just like I do the one dying of AIDS in the DRC, or malaria in Burma or a thousand other places. There is a real limit to the amount of compassion a person, an organization or a country has.

Senator Biden called for partition of Iraq...and guess what? We've got it. This is what partition looks like, be it in British India or modern Iraq. We are executing his idea. As long as Maliki is in power, this is Iran's problem. They created the mess, let the IRGC go up to Sunni-stan to fix it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Speaking of derp...  did you envision a connection between your statement and my question, or was that just a random "thought?"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a pretty bold statement.  Do you have any citation for that other than derp sights?

Well Obama and idiot racist Holder promised to uphold the constitution also.

Speaking of derp...  did you envision a connection between your statement and my question, or was that just a random "thought?"

The UN says one thing in its charter, etc., but does another.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:43:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's a pretty bold statement.  Do you have any citation for that other than derp sights?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't this what the UN is for?

No, the UN is for allowing Hamas to stage rockets and then complaining with bitter tears that Israeli forces blew up a UN school that they allowed to be used as a terrorist base.

That's what the UN is for.

What...that UNRWA basically is a terror supporting enterprise?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If they don't care, why should we?
View Quote

Because that shit is coming here.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:46:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably true regardless of what we do, but its speeded up when we nominate ourselves the IRGC Air Force in the name of R2P.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:48:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:49:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the UN is for allowing Hamas to stage rockets and then complaining with bitter tears that Israeli forces blew up a UN school that they allowed to be used as a terrorist base.

It's even more bold to act like the UN is not helping Hamas.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hamas-rockets-kept-un-missing-083822639.html#0779GXr
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:50:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Silence is consent.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:52:09 AM EDT
[#12]
When does American Idol come on?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:52:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think you underestimate the influence that Sunstein, Powers and their ilk have had in basically dismantling the Wilsonian consensus and its policies of non-proliferation and collective security within US foreign policy. Instead, we get R2P. Really, we should be sending US forces to aid our adversaries because a bunch of Yazidis who had 15 years to build their own army are now getting rounded up?

I feel for the child dying of thirst or exposure in some hell hole mountain in Northern Iraq as we speak. Just like I do the one dying of AIDS in the DRC, or malaria in Burma or a thousand other places. There is a real limit to the amount of compassion a person, an organization or a country has.

Senator Biden called for partition of Iraq...and guess what? We've got it. This is what partition looks like, be it in British India or modern Iraq. We are executing his idea. As long as Maliki is in power, this is Iran's problem. They created the mess, let the IRGC go up to Sunni-stan to fix it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Samantha Powers has zero authority to set US policy.  She, like all diplomats, gets her positions dictated to her by career State bureaucrats.  One doesn't become a FSO if you have any desire or hopes of thinking for yourself and acting with anything resembling autonomy.  Sometimes the politically connected types are actually a breath of fresh air in this regard.

Regardless, what the US government believes is worth doing "something" about is a different question than what we - collectively or individually - should "care" about.

1) Caring about the situation is a wholly separate issue from saying "we should be sending US forces to aid our adversaries."

2) Power is a political appointee, and her position echoes the views of those in power more so than shaping them.  My comments was more of a general one about how little policy is or can be shaped from outside of Washington.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Those are all lies.  1 billion people think exactly the same way.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:53:45 AM EDT
[#15]

There are bits and pieces of protest no doubt but it should be MUCH MORE widespread IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be happy with simple specifics - like any credible sources corroborating the abuse of those shelters.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:55:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The leaders of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Egypt and other folks in the region are most non-plussed about all this bullshit. It's not a coincidence that all those countries...who for a long time wet-nursed the PLO...are pretty much on Israel's side against Hamas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are bits and pieces of protest no doubt but it should be MUCH MORE widespread IMHO.

The leaders of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Egypt and other folks in the region are most non-plussed about all this bullshit. It's not a coincidence that all those countries...who for a long time wet-nursed the PLO...are pretty much on Israel's side against Hamas.

Then why the FUCK aren't they wiping out ISIS and Hamas!!??
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#19]
fucking savages.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:59:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
All this makes me wonder what is going to happen when Isis turns its sights on Lebanon, Jordan, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia.

Will these populations stand up to the ISIS army or great them as liberators?
View Quote

Perhaps behind the scene they support ISIS and have no fear of them entering their countries aggressively?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All this makes me wonder what is going to happen when Isis turns its sights on Lebanon, Jordan, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia.

View Quote

Jordan and Lebanon have experience with pinheads who try to bring about Islamic revolutions in their countries. It didn't end well when Yasser Arafat tried it. I expect the Saudis won't play nice with them, either. The Saudi Royal Family (all 10,000,000 of them) like being the Saudi Royal Family and won't sit idly while a bunch of nuts threatens their power.

Kuwait deported 200,000 "Palestinians" for supporting Hussein during the first Gulf War.

Syria has been a clusterfuck for decades.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:00:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Yep.  Most places are against those radicals.

I know a few Muslims who hate those radical idiots.  It's hard to not generalize with all the propaganda going around.  

However, if reading the comments sections on international media websites we find tons of anti-American comments also generalizing as if everyone in US was a warmonger, wanted global domination, etc.  

Also, think about here at home.  How many mass street protests against the kenyan and its cronies, despite what appears it is supported only by a minority?

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I still havent found a good answer as to how a terror group that massive was only discovered when it started rolling accross Iraq.

No one noticed a massive terror group building up with the strength to topple regimes until it started going all blitzkierg on everyone? Really? How?
View Quote

Like an American saying they've never heard of Walmart
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:02:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still havent found a good answer as to how a terror group that massive was only discovered when it started rolling accross Iraq.

No one noticed a massive terror group building up with the strength to topple regimes until it started going all blitzkierg on everyone? Really? How?

Good analogy!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:07:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:13:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

People confuse Arab and muslim all the time.  Just because the media doesn't report it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UHHCR: So far in 2014, an estimated 1.2 million Iraqis have been displaced by fighting, including from Anbar and Ninewa governorates.

Protests condemning tens of thousands killed, 1.2 million displaced, rapes, torture, theft, and creating a virtual prison for 40,000 civilians trapped on Mount Sinjar?

Zero.

Offers of humanitarian convoys?

Zero.

Muslim stars taking to Twitter with #StopIsis hastag?

Zero.

A Fatawah against ISIS attacking non-Muslims issued by a state Iman?

Zero.

Outrage about the shrines, churches, and historical places being blown up and destroyed by Isis?

Zero.

There are no moderates.

Islamic jihadi fundamentalism is spreading like wildfire and although there were a lot of pro-American muslim moderates in the recent past, their numbers shrink every day.  You will never hear about them in the media.  

Picture yourself as a pro-western, moderate muslim in Pakistan.  What do you think will happen after you protest?  The pro-taliban folks will hunt you down and kill you.  Those folks keep their mouths shut.

People in America? Good luck finding anything in the news but CAIR and they're linked to fundamentalists.  It's like the NAACP.  They don't represent a group but an ideology.

You are right about one thing. There is no more moderation in Islam.  Now, either folks love the west or hate it.

They only love the west when we are pumping money to them. That's it.

People confuse Arab and muslim all the time.  Just because the media doesn't report it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Where in those posts does someone confuse Arab and Muslim?

You can bet your ass that "moderate muslims" would bolster the cause of Dear Leader so if it was out there, they would find it.

Did you just pick out two memes and throw them into the thread just to be different?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:13:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

1) Caring about the situation is a wholly separate issue from saying "we should be sending US forces to aid our adversaries."

2) Power is a political appointee, and her position echoes the views of those in power more so than shaping them.  My comments was more of a general one about how little policy is or can be shaped from outside of Washington.
View Quote

1) Fair statement.

2) Power is much more influential than I think you're giving credit for, but as a general rule, I'd agree.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Good analogy!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good analogy!!

The analogy in this case would require someone suggesting anyone has ever pretend they just now heard of Walmart, after Walmart decides to officially call themselves "Super Walmart."

Because, ISIS and its predecessors has been a concern for some time, even dating back to the very derpy threads of yore where some here suggested that supporting the FSA was the same as supporting the nutty Jihadists who were vying to shape the opposition, and the many long explanations about the roles and ideology of groups like AQI and ISI in Iraq.

Perhaps the name Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi rings a bell?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:14:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
UN groups say at least 40,000 members of the Yazidi sect, many of them women and children, have taken refuge in nine locations on Mount Sinjar, a craggy, mile-high ridge identified in local legend as the final resting place of Noah's ark.

At least 130,000 more people, many from the Yazidi stronghold of Sinjar, have fled to Dohuk, in the Kurdish north, or to Irbil, where regional authorities have been struggling since June to deal with one of the biggest and most rapid refugee movements in decades.
View Quote

UHHCR: So far in 2014, an estimated 1.2 million Iraqis have been displaced by fighting, including from Anbar and Ninewa governorates.
View Quote

Protests condemning tens of thousands killed, 1.2 million displaced, rapes, torture, theft, and creating a virtual prison for 40,000 civilians trapped on Mount Sinjar?

Zero.

Offers of humanitarian convoys?

Zero.

Muslim stars taking to Twitter with #StopIsis hastag?

Zero.

A Fatawah against ISIS attacking non-Muslims issued by a state Iman?

Zero.

Outrage about the shrines, churches, and historical places being blown up and destroyed by Isis?

Zero.

There are no moderates.

View Quote

It's unfortunate, but I agree.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:15:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, one thing is for sure, with the weakened state of America (leadership, not military.....yet) we won't be coming back to help.

Those guys are pretty much on their own.

Maybe Russia or China will step in
(you know, for a price) but it sure as hell ain't gonna be America.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, one thing is for sure, with the weakened state of America (leadership, not military.....yet) we won't be coming back to help.

And that right there is why the whiny-ass "we can't afford to be world police" morons need to shut the fuck up.  That have no idea of what they speak.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:16:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

The UN is for trying to make the US feel bad about being better than other countries.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Politicians who knew full well Germany was rearming did their best to hide the fact from public consciousness. As storm clouds were obviously gathering, they ran around and talked about how safe everything was. To wit:

http://youtu.be/SetNFqcayeA

Calling the Nazis what they were was seen as being belligerent and needlessly provocative.

Sound familiar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wasn't alive back before WWII started and am wondering if the same sort of cowardly shit was prevalent with the lack of protests of the fucking Nazis?

Politicians who knew full well Germany was rearming did their best to hide the fact from public consciousness. As storm clouds were obviously gathering, they ran around and talked about how safe everything was. To wit:

Calling the Nazis what they were was seen as being belligerent and needlessly provocative.

Sound familiar?

The American people weren't shielded from what was going on in Europe and Asia from Sept 1939 forward.  Hell, FDR knew we were gonna get drawn in and he sure as hell didn't hide it from them.  The isolationism of the period wound up being very costly for us.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The analogy in this case would require someone suggesting anyone has ever pretend they just now heard of Walmart, after Walmart decides to officially call themselves "Super Walmart."

Because, ISIS and its predecessors has been a concern for some time, even dating back to the very derpy threads of yore where some here suggested that supporting the FSA was the same as supporting the nutty Jihadists who were vying to shape the opposition, and the many long explanations about the roles and ideology of groups like AQI and ISI in Iraq.

Perhaps the name Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi rings a bell?
View Quote

Yup.

Virtually impossible for ANYONE to say they just noticed this heinous bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:19:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The American people weren't shielded from what was going on in Europe and Asia from Sept 1939 forward.  Hell, FDR knew we were gonna get drawn in and he sure as hell didn't hide it from them.  The isolationism of the period wound up being very costly for us.
View Quote

That could be the biggest understatement you have ever made.

That is not like you!!

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:23:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Probably true regardless of what we do, but its speeded up when we nominate ourselves the IRGC Air Force in the name of R2P.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what are saying?

That we should cower less we piss them off?

I might be misunderstanding, so just asking.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well, if we're going to be shipping American servicemen back to Dover in boxes, it better be, in my estimation, for a higher reason than Samantha Powers' guilty conscience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this might be hard for you to comprehend, but some people's sense of right and wrong is based on general principles, not political relativity.

Well, if we're going to be shipping American servicemen back to Dover in boxes, it better be, in my estimation, for a higher reason than Samantha Powers' guilty conscience.

She seems pretty silent on the subject.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So, what are saying?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what are saying?

There is very well going to be a Greater Sunni Shia War.

The Shia have been killing us as aggressively as the Sunni.

So, I don't think we should be in the business of protecting Shia stooge politicians too stupid to run their country.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:32:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Israel's fault as always.

Israel defending itself a against continuous terror missile attack......outrage from Europe and theUN.

Muslims beheading Muslims, destroying religious and cultural treasures, disfiguring women, and displacing entire populations?

The sound of snoring.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And that right there is why the whiny-ass "we can't afford to be world police" morons need to shut the fuck up.  That have no idea of what they speak.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spot-on, but they'll never get it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I thought it was widely accepted fact that they have indeed found weapons caches in UN schools:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/04/un-dragged-conflict-israel-hamas-gaza

Those are likely claims by the Israeli government, and one could argue it's propaganda by the Israeli government but in the credibility category I think they rate higher than the UN. It's not like Hamas is bashful about threatening to kill anyone who doesn't play ball. I also seem to remember reading statements by Moon about being "shocked" to learn that was going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was widely accepted fact that they have indeed found weapons caches in UN schools:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/04/un-dragged-conflict-israel-hamas-gaza

Those are likely claims by the Israeli government, and one could argue it's propaganda by the Israeli government but in the credibility category I think they rate higher than the UN. It's not like Hamas is bashful about threatening to kill anyone who doesn't play ball. I also seem to remember reading statements by Moon about being "shocked" to learn that was going on.

They've been caught a couple of times.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/world/meast/gaza-israel-why-civilian-deaths/

Last month, rockets were discovered in a vacant U.N. school between two other U.N. schools being used as shelters.

It was the second such discovery at a vacant U.N. school in Gaza in a week.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:34:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

No the UN is for denouncing Israel.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:34:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'd be happy with simple specifics - like any credible sources corroborating the abuse of those shelters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the UNRWAP schools used to store rockets?

Check out WSJ today.  They lay it out pretty well.

Are you saying, with a straight face, that UNRWA (P) isn't a Hamas support group funded by the US and EU?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:36:26 AM EDT
[#45]
"Moderate Muslim" is a liberal expression to allow them to discuss the issues of Islam.

How many "moderates" do you hear saying the Pledge of Allegiance?

How many "moderates" do you hear singing the Star Spangled Banner?

How many "moderates" do you find trying to assimilate into American culture?

How many "moderates" do you hear condemning what the so called "radicals" are doing?

A moderate Muslim is like a liberal who hasn't yet been mugged and became a conservative.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:37:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sound familiar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wasn't alive back before WWII started and am wondering if the same sort of cowardly shit was prevalent with the lack of protests of the fucking Nazis?

Sound familiar?

I've been mentioning this lately.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:39:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do the Saudis fund all of those terror groups when their own regime is threatened by them?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Are you saying, with a straight face, that UNRWA (P) isn't a Hamas support group funded by the US and EU?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I am saying is, that I have not yet seen a credible source outlining that this recent shelter indeed harbored militants or weapons.  I will check out the WSJ article.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So, I don't think we should be in the business of protecting Shia stooge politicians too stupid to run their country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what are saying?

What about the Kurds and the Christians that ISIS has boxed up in the mountains?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What I am saying is, that I have not yet seen a credible source outlining that this recent shelter indeed harbored militants or weapons.  I will check out the WSJ article.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So are we talking a specific shelter or are we talking about the totality of the evidence?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top