Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw the movie yesterday.  Thought it was pretty good.

Spoiler alert

My question is:  When at the WHO building, why didnt they use the phones ringing to herd them away from the lab?

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Spoiler alert

My question is:  When at the WHO building, why didnt they use the phones ringing to herd them away from the lab?

I saw it yesterday. concur it was pretty good, my spoiler question is:

How did they get an aircraft that is too large to land on a carrier, take off from a carrier?
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder how long before it comes out on dvd/blue ray?
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw this a few days ago. It wasn't bad. Far from the best zombie movie out there but definitely not the worst.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Girlfriend bought it for me.

If they had spent less on overdone CGI and more on runtime of the movie it could have been better. The zombies were way too superhuman too. They're running 30mph at people yet can smell the death on someone so far away to distinguish them in a crowd of people. Pretty cheesy, not that walking dead people aren't pushing it in the first place.

The zombies sucked too. They made it clear they were dead, but there was only one in the entire movie that looked dead and it was just terrible CGI. For all of that going on, there was a major lack of blood too, and I don't even like excessive gore. You chop a chick's forearm off and yet a child's bloody nose leaks more?

I think they tried to cram too much into too little and relied on CGI waaaay too much. The only scene that really stood out to me was at the WHO, and even then it had some bad writing. Why the fuck didn't he write on paper for them to call the phone and use the rings as a signal to decide which vial to use? Like mentioned above, why not use the phones to draw them away.

And speaking of sound, how did the zombies automatically know if it was a living person or another zombie making the sound?

And the 12 second conversion time seemed like a terrible way to force drama. Was it actually like that in the book?

Not the worst zombie movie, but definitely the one with the most undelivered potential.

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How did they get an aircraft that is too large to land on a carrier, take off from a carrier?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoiler alert

Don't quote me, but I think some ships don't have the capability for planes to land on them, especially if they aren't meant to take off from them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally saw it. Much better than the book. Not much zombie action for a zombie movie though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Saw it a few days ago. I liked it.
It's on Amazon instant videos
for those who have memberships.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#10]
The catapult system on the carrier coupled with some J.A.T.O. Rockets would get that small cargo plane off the ground.  I have seen a C-130 with rockets take off in the length of maybe two football fields with out catapult assist.   Search Blue Angels Fat Albert on youtube.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#11]
The only major gotcha IMHO was the concept of Camo they came up with at the end.
If the zombie can smell you had/have a fatal disease then they certainly can smell you when you are trying to sneak around them, right? How did they sneak past them in the med facility?
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 4:23:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I realize the plane in the movie changes but.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoiler alert

I realize the plane in the movie changes but.

Link Posted: 10/2/2013 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I just watched it last night.  Meh...

Brad Pitt's worst acting job ever.  And I admire his acting skills.  But in 'Z' he pretty much sucks, and his character is responsible for stupid mistakes that get people killed - even though he's supposed to be some 'Jack Reacher'-type superman.

The zombies in the lab were cool.  The CGI zombies were lame.  The premise of the reason for the lab was stupid.

Honestly, not even worth a rent, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't quote me, but I think some ships don't have the capability for planes to land on them, especially if they aren't meant to take off from them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoiler alert

They used a Russian Antonov An-12 to stand in for a C-130 in some scenes. It is no big secret that C-130s CAN and HAVE landed on and taken off from carriers. It was done on the USS Forrestal 50 years ago! So...an An-12, comparable in size and performance to a C-130, "might" be able to do the same...in theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#16]
The phone thing bugged me too. Why didn't he have them call the phone to draw the zombie away from the freezer door? There was a whole lot of   in that movie. I was really hoping that Israeli boy died in the plane crash, like everyone would have IRL. Yeah, yeah, it's a movie. I know. I thought it was pretty weak after a promising start.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 2:13:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I never read the book so I had no expectations there.  I was really up for the movie when I heard it was being made.  After seeing the reviews here I wasn't expecting much..I saw it a couple days ago and was pleasantly surprised.  Not your typical Z movie but I thought it was well done.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 3:01:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Im with flyboy77 on this one.

I read part of the book, and after hearing about the movie and watching trailers for what seemed like years, then hearing brad pit was attached, then hearing gossip that the movie was being delayed...I was not encouraged.  Maybe all the negative sounding info set my expectations very very low.

When I saw the movie (from red box) I did not hate it.  I did not love it, I may watch it again some day, but I didn't puke (which is what I was expecting).

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Paid for the DVD. I want my money and time back. I thought it sucked for the most part. The only redeeming quality was the "sort of" message that people need to prepare for the unexpected. Aside from that though, the movie sucked. The cgi was stupid, the zombies were completely unrealistic (running 30 mph, etc), and the story skipped around all over the place, with Pitt getting out of impossible situations repeatedly.

Not impressed at all. What I'd like to see is more stuff like the original version of Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead. Slow zombies, and story lines that don't try to accomplish too much the way this one did. People keep trying to come up with new/different ideas, but I still haven't seen anyone beat the old originals. Maybe that means they need to get a clue and start trying to follow the original concept of those older movies. That's my opinion, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Paid for the DVD. I want my money and time back. I thought it sucked for the most part. The only redeeming quality was the "sort of" message that people need to prepare for the unexpected. Aside from that though, the movie sucked. The cgi was stupid, the zombies were completely unrealistic (running 30 mph, etc), and the story skipped around all over the place, with Pitt getting out of impossible situations repeatedly.

Not impressed at all. What I'd like to see is more stuff like the original version of Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead. Slow zombies, and story lines that don't try to accomplish too much the way this one did. People keep trying to come up with new/different ideas, but I still haven't seen anyone beat the old originals. Maybe that means they need to get a clue and start trying to follow the original concept of those older movies. That's my opinion, anyway.
View Quote

So you are telling us you walked into a movie knowing nothing about it, and hated it because you had no idea it was loosely based upon a book that was nothing like normal zombie fiction.  Brilliant!
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The phone thing bugged me too. Why didn't he have them call the phone to draw the zombie away from the freezer door? There was a whole lot of   in that movie. I was really hoping that Israeli boy died in the plane crash, like everyone would have IRL. Yeah, yeah, it's a movie. I know. I thought it was pretty weak after a promising start.
View Quote

You realize that was a girl with a short haircut not a boy.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Dave

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dave

My attempt at humor.

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#23]
And while we're on the topic, I don't think it's possible to hack off someone's hand like that, and for the person to survive. Same goes for Merle. Suspension of disbelief can only take me so far.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Was ok, wish it had been better. Never read the book, Brad Pitt kind of sucked in it.

The first half of the movie wasn't too bad, but the last hour was like watching a completely different movie. Fast zombies are ok if they are the DOTD 04 zombies, these cgi super zombies looked like shit. Not enough gunning.
Israeli girl was kind of cute, needed longer hair.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#25]
There were very few things taken from the books (survival guide and world war z) that translated into the movie.  I did not like the super fast / super human zombies.  Didn't like the ones in I am Legend either, they just looked too cartoon-like.  What I had a problem with was that why, if the "airlines were the perfect delivery system" for the disease as the movie suggests, did the recently bitten taken less than 30 seconds to turn?  This makes no sense, airline passengers who were recently bitten wouldn't even make it to the ticket counter before turning, much less make it to an aircraft.  The book did a lot better job of explaining transmission of the infection like how and where a person was bitten and the severity of the injury.  In the book it might take days for a bitten victim to turn or even show symptoms.  The movie made no such suggestion.  Even the doctor in the video at the WHO that gets a secondary exposure from tissue samples turns in seconds (in the film).  

Seems like if they had made the movie just like the book, verbatim, it would have been epic.  Of course it would have been over 10 hours long, and cost eleventybillion dollars.  But it would have been awesome.  Could have turned it into a miniseries.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 3:17:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So you are telling us you walked into a movie knowing nothing about it, and hated it because you had no idea it was loosely based upon a book that was nothing like normal zombie fiction.  Brilliant!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. You apparently have no reading comprehension. I said nothing of the sort. Just that it sucked. Next time try to actually read the post.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#27]
This movie rocked out in a couple ways at least:

It wasn't low budget (like so many others).
There are so many crap low budget/retard gore movies out there it's not even funny. No need for another. Glad they had some money for this one.

It wasn't small survivor group.
Who really wants to see any more zombies movies of small groups? I do, but it's rather low priority when there aren't many large scale (well funded) zombie movies. The closest one to WWZ that I know of was 28 Weeks Later. I like it, it has US military (even if low budget).

The book wasn't bad, but also the only zombie book I've ever read. But at least the movie had one character was kept in all the new locations... the book just jumped to give multiple stories of different people.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone watched it on Bluray yet, it's supposed to have some extra scenes?
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I thought it was OK, certainly not as good as the Dawn of the Dead remake.

***Spoiler alert for those who haven't read the book***

I was really hoping for some mention of the Chinese sub...then again, they could just about make a movie by itself just on the plot of the Chinese element (sub, Three Gorges, the island, etc).  Either way, launching nukes against a Chinese site would have easily bumped this movie up a notch for me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
***Spoiler alert for those who haven't read the book***

I was really hoping for some mention of the Chinese sub...then again, they could just about make a movie by itself just on the plot of the Chinese element (sub, Three Gorges, the island, etc).  Either way, launching nukes against a Chinese site would have easily bumped this movie up a notch for me.
View Quote

This was my biggest complaint about WWZ. There were enough set-pieces in the book to make a trilogy of movies, easily.

Instead, they jettisoned everything except the title, and produced a disjointed mess surpassed in quality by any number of movies that cost a fraction of the price.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Total lack of coherent tactics until the end of the movie... WTF.

Third act ridiculous.

Other than that, above average popcorn flick.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Best movie I have seen in years. Need more zombie killing. Do not compare it to the book.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#33]

ETA: embed fail

Everthing wrong with World War Z in 6 minutes or less:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tss--a2XxMY
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Completely forgot about this movie until I saw it on demand the other day, watched it and honestly it's shit. I barely even remember most of it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Sam's had the blu-ray for $9 today, I thought I'd give it a chance at that price point.  I enjoyed it and will watch it again.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh my gawd, oh my gawd, oh my gawd....

World war z sequel gets a director...so excited.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/showbiz/movies/world-war-z-sequel-ew/index.html?hpt=en_c1
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/showbiz/movies/world-war-z-sequel-ew/index.html?hpt=en_c1
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll watch it
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Thought it was ok, worth a watch.  Looking forward to the sequel.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I liked it. Always interesting to see how they will try to put a new spin on the origin of, characteristics of, etc zombies. Otherwise every Z movie/show would be exactly the same. Fast movers was new direction
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Dawn of the Dead remake - fast
28 Days Later - fast
28 Weeks Later - fast

and now World War Z - fast.

Shuffling along isn't legit. No way that would ever spread. Ever. Except maybe in the UK...
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Rented it tonight on redbox it was worth the 1.20!

Best one liner.....Ahhhh ... Sh!t I'm a Zed!

That was said by the ranger filling up the plane...
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dawn of the Dead remake - fast
28 Days Later - fast
28 Weeks Later - fast

and now World War Z - fast.

Shuffling along isn't legit. No way that would ever spread. Ever. Except maybe in the UK...
View Quote

Not in my neighbourhood.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Good movie.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Good movie. Sort of  similar to 28 days later but in America. Worth buying when it comes out on BluRay.
View Quote

Zombie thread.

This is a good movie?  

This movie sucks. Not at all like the book.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#46]
The original release date was pushed back, they did a complete rewrite of the movie, the original version was so bad, they scrapped all of it.  They were actually filming the rewrite as soon as the new script sections were completed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#47]
I like the book. The battle of NY and the Chinese sub parts should have been in there
Or even the big battle towards the end of the book.

JL Bourne, Day by Day Armageddon was a better book (s) and should be a movie.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top