BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Barrry will hire mitt Romney to head the effort.

Romney will hire site staff and the jort crew to get it done.

What's the deal with your avatar?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
not that many ar's

Bet there are at least twice that.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the deal with yours?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I agree, there is no way there is that many AR's.  One need only look at the serial number on recently purchased lowers.  For example, I just bought a Mega forged lower that is just over 11,000 - and it is all numeric.  The one I purchase a year ago was in the high 7,000's.  I would venture to guess between 12-13,000 forged lowers have been produced by Mega alone.  I realize there are dozens of companies that have their roll mark on AR lowers, but if any of them (aside from the high volume manufacturers like Colt, DPMS, Bushmaster, and Rock River) have produced more than a hundred thousand since the end of the 1994 ban, I would be suprised.  The high volume companies may have produced around a million, Colt more than the others.  Although I have no way of telling how many have been produced, I would venture to guess it is somewhere around 25 million.  Just my guess based on the estimated number of guns in circulation.  AR's really haven't been a big seller until 2004.

I agree there are at least a couple hundred million guns that would need to be registered if Feinstein's law passed as proposed.  There is no way it could be done.  The ATF would be backlogged for decades trying to register that many.

You do realize that ARs have been sold here for about 53ish years?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Canada tried the long gun registry thing.
It took them 10 years and a billion dollars to realize that they bit off more than they could chew and shit canned the whole thing. They had people showing up at police stations in Canada with unregistered rifles screaming to be arrested so they could challenge it in court. The police told them to shut up, go home and take their rifles with them.
How do you think the various county sheriff's offices are going to react when they get 10-50,000 applications for NFA approvals showing up in the mail?
How do you think the police departments are going to react when they get 100-1,000 people showing up on a Saturday to get finger printed?

How long do you think that it's going to take the FBI to do 4 million NFA background checks (it's probably going to 5 times that many actually)?
Who is going to pay for all of that shit?
What are they going to do in places where the sheriff refuses to sign (as you KNOW will be the case)? Who's going to collect the guns? Who's going to store them? Who's going to pay to have them destroyed?
And what about the inevitable court battles and the stays on orders and so forth? And what about people who just flat out ignore the law?
Swinestain is an idiot. She thinks she can just wave her pen and make a perceived problem go away. She isn't taking into account the fact that England and Australia had registration in place for decades and she isn't looking at what happened when Canada tried the same thing (with 1/10th of the population).
Hell, the cost of buying the new computers, new software and new data center floor space to house an NFA database that is going to get 20 times larger is going to be prohibitively expensive.

This is going to be a logistical and technological nightmare for everyone in law enforcement from the county sheriffs to the FBI to the BATFE.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I think there is a lot more than 2-4 million ARs out there.

Probably close to 20 million military pattern semi auto rifles out there by now.

I've heard ATF estimated 5 million AKs in the country, and there is probably near double that with ARs. Then everything else.

Of course not all would get registered.

Let's say half the people register them, at 10 million guns I think you're right they would be overwhelmed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the deal with yours?

The deal with mine is, that's me.  Seriously, that's a pic of me.

Yours has a chick with an octopus on her head that I can't quite figure out.. She's hot, but she has an octopus on her head. It's hard for a chick to be hot with an octopus on her head.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I recall reading (somewhere) an estimate of 2.4M ARs.  

Much higher I think. I've seen data suggesting much higher. Think of how many they have pumped out since 2008 alone.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Fiona apple. Latest video.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a lot of paperwork.  I doubt that I could get motivated to fill any out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wow, she's kinda hot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fucking endless speculation on this, that, or the other about bans, registrations, confiscations ad nauseum on this site. It is like many of you want something to happen. Thought creates. Gun owners are the most negatively polarized, defeatist bunch of poor me whiners I have witnessed.

Just fucking STOP.

Is there a moderation staff here that realizes how negative all of this SHIT is? At the least make ONE post where all of the defeated can go to speculate on their doom.

ARFCOM is the breeding ground for negative thought.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've always wondered about you avatar...
and screen name...

fucking evil hippies
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]
The better question is, who gets the engraving contract?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Feinstein, BHO, and the BATFE can take turns fucking themselves with a rusty crowbar.
Eat a dick.
Mine will be "sold at the gunshow" before I register shit with these cocksucking twats.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

touted as a way to create jobs

ATF is in a hiring freeze.... the Martinsburg WV office had to fight and beg for several years and just got 9 new NFA examiners this month

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
touted as a way to create jobs

ATF is in a hiring freeze.... the Martinsburg WV office had to fight and beg for several years and just got 9 new NFA examiners this month  

Part of that cunt from California's plan is to spend tax money to enable BATFE.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#18]
The AR15 has been sold on the civilian market since 1963.
Yeah, there could be 40 million of them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#19]
FYI...from wiki regarding the Canadian Long Gun Registry:

"The registration portion of the Firearms Act was implemented in 1995 and the deadline for gun owners to register their non-restricted firearms was January 1, 2003.
Seventy-five per cent of all gun owners met the deadline for
registering their non-restricted firearms, and 5.8 million firearms in
total were registered by that date."

Did you get that? There was an 8 year window for people to register their rifles and shotguns in Canada. The project ended up costing $880,000,000 MORE than expected and with 75% compliance registered a grand total of 5.8 million guns.

Swinestain's ban list includes 120 specifically named models of firearms. An article recently published on Slate.com states that there are at least 2.5 million AR's in America, probably more like 3.75 million! That's not counting the 800,000 mini-14s that the Slate article says have been made. On top of that you have FALs, AKs, Saigas, SKSs, Garands, M1As, M1 Carbines, MAC-Xs and all of their knock offs, HKs, FNs and all kinds of other shit that I am not thinking of. ARs and Mini-14s alone would account for 4.55 million weapons that would have to be registered. It would take them fucking FOREVER and cost a fucking fortune, and they still won't get it right.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#21]
The point of the Feinstein's registry isn't to reduce crime. It is to eliminate the firearms.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
not that many ar's

you're wrong.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I can name a few that they won't have to worry about completing registry forms for.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I have an SBR on the books... as far as I am concerned that is the only weapon I own, since I'm on the hook for it

Anything on a 4473 is eventually going to be retained forever by the ATF.

what about those shops that had horrible fires in their offices?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#25]
The same way they register new machine guns.
If it ain't registered, it is illegal.

if the registry is closed...you do the math

Quoted:
There is no way they would have the manpower or money to do this
I just don't see it happening

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I have an SBR on the books... as far as I am concerned that is the only weapon I own, since I'm on the hook for it

Have any evidence of that happening yet?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I recall reading (somewhere) an estimate of 2.4M ARs.

Thought that was what Colt alone has sold to the civilian market.

Yep

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have any evidence of that happening yet?

that's why they're called accidents.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I doubt they expect to immediately register the majority of AR's out there, anymore than anyone expects drug dealers to turn in their wares. Non-compliance is probably assumed.  The idea is to criminalize possession/ownership.  They'll pick off anyone who sticks their head up (and enjoy the feel good publicity of catching an evil assault rifle owner.)  Your neighbor hears you firing a semi auto on your land and calls the police.  You can't take them to public ranges anymore, for fear of being seen.  You can't transport them for fear of having your car searched.  If you can't take them out of your safe, what good are they?

Eventually you'll have been portrayed as a criminal long enough, that you will be marginalized; the mob will view you as just a small group of criminals.

We can all talk about how it didn't work in Canada, but why take the chance?  Better to stop it before it passes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Assuming that there are 270,000,000 privately owned firearms in the United States, and assuming (extremely conservatively) that 100,000,000 of them were sold since the GCA of 1968 would automatically mean that there are 100,000,000 form 4473s recording initial sales of firearms. These would not record guns that were stolen, guns that were lost, guns that were sold at gun shows, given away as gifts, traded for other guns, traded for other good or anything else. It would also not give any indication of where to find the buyer of those guns if they moved.

If you think that the BATFE is going have a hard time processing a couple of million applications for NFA registrations of "assault weapons" but think they can just go find the guns using 4473s then I have a bridge to sell you. I guarantee you that the entire motive behind this registration scheme is that Swinestain was told first hand by the BATFE and her gun grabbing buddies that without registration and a ban on transfers, they will NEVER know who has which guns and where they are located. Confiscation requires registration and the 4473s are completely useless given the fact that anyone can sell a gun to anyone else without paperwork or a background check.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is to hoping that a meteor crashes into DC.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Be honest, it's the octopus.....

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I think we all know the answer. Poorly. It'd take years for them to process the requests.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#34]
She would also ban Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics

So that means more than just AR15s added to NFA that would include a ton of pistols too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#35]
When Obama has to register his mouth I'll register my firearms.  Ehh, not really even then, but you get my point.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There is no way they would have the manpower or money to do this
I just don't see it happening

I'm sure we'll all still be young enough to enjoy them by the time the approval comes thru.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 12:03:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If it already isn't stored by NICS.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 12:27:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Sounds like a lot of paperwork.  I doubt that I could get motivated to fill any out.

I really hate paperwork. Took me about 5 years to find the motivation to get a couple cans.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe, maybe not.  Seeing the pictures of those boxes of books waiting to be entered and filed from years gone by, water-damaged and growing mold from the leaky pipes in the basement hallways and rooms they were stored in... I have to wonder how much effort they'll put into recovering some of those.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top