BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
True, but that doesn't mean you need to go around telling everyone you meet on the street that you just won $80 million. It pays to keep as low a profile as possible in these circumstances.

-Yea, but have you read the accounts of people who have won big? Every d*mn moocher in the entire country comes a knockin', within days. Their mailboxes soon get filled every day with letters from total strangers asking for money. The large amount of people who try every way possible to mooch money is pretty amazing.
~
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#2]
OK.  Here we go.  I dont drink, smoke, or do drugs.  I am not married, i have few friends, even fewer relatives.

I live in Ohio.

The split second I cashed the ticket, & they made the information public..... I would ALREADY be gone.

I would SERIOUSLY pull a "Heat".... i would disappear in 30 seconds.  No one would know where.  I would become a ghost for at least one year.  I would drive a USED Honda accord, for reliability, & I would travel the country.

My place would have already been emptied... BEFORE i cashed the ticket.  Everything would be taken care of before the ticket is cashed.

No new cars, no excessive homes, toys, games, or lifestyles.  Find a little place where it's warm I can call home.... find a moderate house.... and live happily every after.... earning 10-20% on a 100,000,000 account.

paradise.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Money won't buy happiness.
But it makes a heck of a down payment.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not stupid, already divorced, and would pay for an accountant to take care of the tax problems.  Most of my family doesn't really know where I am anyway, except for my sister.  If I can afford a Ferarri, I damn sure can afford the cab fare to avoid a DUI or crash.
In short, I'll take the chances.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Did you know that if you post on an internet forum you are 56 times more likely to wet the bed?

Man all that time I thought I just sweat alot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
80 million for JLHewet  would be a fair price!!!!!!

Hope I win!!!!!!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]
If I won No one would know for quite awhile. I'd simply pay off all bills and continue to go to work as normal ( I like like my job and most of the people I work with) until the wife and I sat down with a lawyer and and accountant and a plan was in place. I would then put in my two week notice and leave on good terms, everyone still in the dark about my newfound fortune.

After a little while I'd have a small party inviting all friends and family who I know are true friends and not looking for handouts and make my announcement to them there.

I'd still live relatively modestly as not to attract attention to myself. No 21 room mansion, no exotic cars, Just a nice brick ranch on plenty of property and a new truck.  

I haven't even played any type of lottery in at least a few years. So I guess I'm not gonna win anyway.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:27:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If I won No one would know for quite awhile. ....

-Well,,,,, nobody would know,,,,,, until you presented the winning ticket.

Just browsing Google, I found this page with the terms of use of the PlayerCity website (in conjunction with MI state lottery). https://michigan.playercity.net/general/terms.php

Under "Public Nature of Communications", it says:
"...Additionally, except where prohibited by Michigan Statute, you expressly grant MDI/LOTTERY to include your name and hometown in association with your winning a prize or being selected or designated a winner in any contest, promotion, project, drawing or other competition as may be available on PLAYER CITY from time to time and that you have voluntarily participated in as a member...."

I went to the MI state lottery site ( www.mich.gov/lottery/ ) and couldn't find anywhere that completely explained the rules--but there is a photo gallery and announcements of all the big winners there. Generally the rules for all states say pretty much the same thing--as a condition of playing, you allow them to publicize your name and hometown in the event of any winnings.
~
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:49:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A gold plated turd is still a turd.

This should be someone's sig line
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#10]
With present company excepted (maybe), the reason for those statistics are that the people who buy lottery tickets aren't the hottest rounds in the box, so when they actually do win the money they are then able to augment their stupidity and immaturity.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:58:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tag!  From a guy who refuses to pay the "stupid tax."

My calculus professor called it a tax on the  "mathematically illierate".

I prefer to call it my one dollar tithing to predeterminalism.

But I can't be bothered with it until the jackpot is over $100M.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:00:21 AM EDT
[#12]

93 times more likely to get a divorce.

50% divorce rate * 93 = 42.5 divorces?????

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'll take my chances

+1

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I dont ever play because I know what I am capable of.

A man got to know his limits.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just browsing Google, I found this page with the terms of use of the PlayerCity website (in conjunction with MI state lottery). https://michigan.playercity.net/general/terms.php

"...Additionally, except where prohibited by Michigan Statute, you expressly grant MDI/LOTTERY to include your name and hometown in association with your winning a prize or being selected or designated a winner in any contest, promotion, project, drawing or other competition as may be available on PLAYER CITY from time to time and that you have voluntarily participated in as a member...."

I went to the MI state lottery site ( www.mich.gov/lottery/ ) and couldn't find anywhere that completely explained the rules--but there is a photo gallery and announcements of all the big winners there. Generally the rules for all states say pretty much the same thing--as a condition of playing, you allow them to publicize your name and hometown in the event of any winnings.
~

You could establish residence, say in Mexico before claming the prize and get a legal name change to Pedro or something, let all the money grubbers try to track you down then!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#16]
If I had won, say, $100M as a kid right out of school, I still think I would have had enough sense not to wind up broke and on drugs.  I managed to do it without the $100M, so given the opportunity to try living WITH the $100M, I think I'd be OK.  In any case, I'm more than willing to give it a try.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy NFA toys, which are darn near the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Its not only the Jerry Springer types that play the lottery ..that would be too easy of an explanation to what happens to the winners..Plenty of responsible professionals play too.  You can go to to the Powerball site and look up winners stories and see that some of these people were professional/wealthy or at least educated before they won.

www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_stories.asp

Sen. Judd Gregg (R) NH won $850,000 last fall
www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/20/judd.lottery/index.html
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#18]
All of that makes sense.

The lotto is a tax on those stupid, and bad at math.

Mostly dumbfucks.  If you take a sample of all the people in the country, and limit it to just those who play the lottery, I bet your statistics are almost as skewed.  Possibly not so much in the murder for hire, but in the rest.

A valid comparison would be the winners, vs the other losers who play the lotto.

TXL
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I would SERIOUSLY pull a "Heat".... i would disappear in 30 seconds.  

So what gun would you use?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
exactly!  a lot of problems will arise when someone brags about comong into a large amount of money.  "relatives" and "friends" who need money for their sick grandmothers will be coming out of the woodwork.

I hate to break this to you, but when you win the lottery you are automatically going to get a lot of publicity. That's part of winning. And when people find out that you won the lottery, they are going to come out of the woodwork looking for handouts and looking to sue you.

Believe it.

You have no idea how greedy and evil people can be until you see them trying to get a piece of someone else's money.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I would like to see statistics on:

education level before winning

income before winning

marital status and number of times married before

criminal record before

alcohol and drug abuse before

# DUI before

You can bring a  stray dog into the house, bathe it, groom it and feed it steak, but it will still shit in the floor.

Bingo.

The majority of people who play the lottery are lower income, less educated types who generally make piss poor decisions about everything in the first place. Handing such a person 80 million dollars isn't going to better their lives. Every stupid impulse they have, they now posess the means to chase, and that can lead to disaster.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
OK.  Here we go.  I dont drink, smoke, or do drugs.  I am not married, i have few friends, even fewer relatives.

I live in Ohio.

The split second I cashed the ticket, & they made the information public..... I would ALREADY be gone.

I would SERIOUSLY pull a "Heat".... i would disappear in 30 seconds.  No one would know where.  I would become a ghost for at least one year.  I would drive a USED Honda accord, for reliability, & I would travel the country.

My place would have already been emptied... BEFORE i cashed the ticket.  Everything would be taken care of before the ticket is cashed.

No new cars, no excessive homes, toys, games, or lifestyles.  Find a little place where it's warm I can call home.... find a moderate house.... and live happily every after.... earning 10-20% on a 100,000,000 account.

paradise.

While your scenario isn't realistic, the best thing you can do the minute you know you have won such an ammount IS to move, change your phone number, and try to drop off the grid as much as possible.

Then retain a reliable accounting company and law firm, and begin to set up a payment structure to ensure no tax problems and to remove yourself from any legal liability you can.

Living tastefully is a good move too. Driving around in a Bentley WILL get you targeted. Driving a used car and living in a modest home in a new location will help insulate you from questions about your finances.

Personally if I was handed 100 million tomorrow, I would take a vacation from work, get out of town, and then work on getting my finances in order. I would give the vast majority of the 100 million away. I have a lot of worthy organizations and people I would want to help right off the bat. Whatever was leftover after taking care of those charities and my family I might use to buy a couple of toys.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If I had won, say, $100M as a kid right out of school, I still think I would have had enough sense not to wind up broke and on drugs.  I managed to do it without the $100M, so given the opportunity to try living WITH the $100M, I think I'd be OK.  In any case, I'm more than willing to give it a try.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy NFA toys, which are darn near the same thing.

Ever wonder why rich people do such damnably stupid stuff? Especially if they are born into money? It is because nothing is restricted from them. When you have 100 million in the bank, nothing is off limits to you, and often people cannot handle that kind of freedom.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would SERIOUSLY pull a "Heat".... i would disappear in 30 seconds.  

So what gun would you use?  

SCAR H  &  H&K USP 45
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Now show me the statistics of the "type" of people who make up the majority in those statistics. Odds are they were low-life of some form or another before winning the lottery and the excess of money just made them wealthy low-lifes.

I'm 100% certain I would not have the majority of those problems... although I might be a little concerned about the relatives trying to kill me part.

Me and my wife talk about what we would do with the winnings enough that we could put a decent sized dent in the first installment pretty fast. And most of that would be from buying family stuff...

We agree mostly on buying a large piece of land, building a nice house with EVERYTHING we want in it (to include an indoor firing range)... beyond that, paying off family member's debts would be a major part of the spending; home loans, car loans, etc.

After the dust settled I'd like to have a huge BBQ and have an open invitation for all of the ARfcommers. That's after I buy enough guns and ammo for everyone to play with while they're visiting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in Ohio.

paradise.

While your scenario isn't realistic, possible for everyone due to other obligations.

it is very real for me.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
After the dust settled I'd like to have a huge BBQ and have an open invitation for all of the ARfcommers. That's after I buy enough guns and ammo for everyone to play with while they're visiting.

+1

I'd be sure to remember all you little people still.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#28]
The other thing you have to remember is where are the researchers getting their material and from who.  For example, low-lifes are going to want to do what they did before they won the money:  Bitch and whine about how their life is forked up and how it's all someone else's fault.

On the other hand, someone with half a brain, who understands how to deal with money, doesn't want the publicity and handles their life with competence, is probably not going to want to talk to a lottery researcher, assuming the researcher can find them in the first place.  Reference the responses to about half of the posters in this thread: what's the overwhelming theme?  Privacy.  What New York professor is going spend $$$ to send someone to Bug Tussel, TN, Eagle River, AK or Pahrump, NV because he can't get an unlisted phone number for a lottery winner?  Probably not much.

Further, researchers, whether they realize it or not are *probably* not going to spend as much time finding the successful people as they are the low-lifes.  How much interest would there be in this story if there was no difference between lottery winners and normal people; who'd read the article or even care?

Merlin
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Its not only the Jerry Springer types that play the lottery ..that would be too easy of an explanation to what happens to the winners..Plenty of responsible professionals play too.  You can go to to the Powerball site and look up winners stories and see that some of these people were professional/wealthy or at least educated before they won.

My old accoutant was a prof at University of Hartford and did a similar study of CT Lottery winners.  His opinion was God must like rich people because while they were less likely to play the lottery, they were more likely to win it when they played.  He had expected an even distribution based on the percentage of each class, but for some reason rich people (greater than the median income) won more often than the poor.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My old accoutant was a prof at University of Hartford and did a similar study of CT Lottery winners.  His opinion was God must like rich people because while they were less likely to play the lottery, they were more likely to win it when they played.  He had expected an even distribution based on the percentage of each class, but for some reason rich people (greater than the median income) won more often than the poor.

I know a stats guy at UT Austin who suggested a few years back that the reason for this was that rich people were likelier to take a random pick as opposed to a not-as-random combination of pet's names and kid's birthdays when they did play.  Would make a fun research project for a summer, wouldn't it?

Oh, to be young and in grad school again!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#32]
If you move and change your name, the bank which holds your funds must be able to recognize you and then the word spreads. Old Joe has over $21,000,000. in deposits at our institution. So they have your address, know the car you drive & people talk. The more people that know you have $ the more risk there is that someone will try and take it away.   I'd spend lots of $$ on getting the best security system available and try to keep a very low profile. No signs on the outside that I had anthing worth trying to take.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

~

And I woulda got away with it too if it wasn't for those blasted rules...

I could be wrong, and it looks like I very well may be, but i thought there had been undisclosed winners here in MI in the past. Like I said though I rarely play the lottery let alone keep up with the rules.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

93 times more likely to get a divorce.

50% divorce rate * 93 = 42.5 divorces?????

1 out of 2 people get divorces (according to the number you gave, I have no clue), so 93 times that would be, I'm guessing, 185 out of 186?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top