Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Eric the Hun, in which branch of the US military did you serve in Viet Nam (or any other US conflict)?

Just wondering.

DaMan  
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Post from 5subslr5 -
Stand by for labels of 'anti-semetism' and 'anti-Semitic' from those who believe in Israel Only.

For some, not very many but some, any balanced view of the mid-east situation cannot be tolerated.
View Quote

You know, [b]subsailor[/b], I keep hearing this same [b]dire warning[/b] from you every time some subject involving Israel comes up on this Board!

Without the least bit of whiff of anyone doing anything of the kind.

I'm beginning to wonder about your consistent, pardon the expression, [i][b]Jeremiad[/b][/i] on all such occasions.

Is it a 'shot across the bow' you're making?

Inquiring Huns want to know.[:D]

Eric The(Truthfully!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Post from DaMan -
GEE, Eric! You MUST have been THERE! You know SO MUCH about the logistics of the war!

Which branch of service?!!!

Come on, Eric....dooooo tell!

DaMan
View Quote

No, DaMan, I wasn't there and it's quite obvious that you were not there either.

I was in High School until 1970, then college and law school. Where were you hanging out?

But since you made the allegation that resources were diverted from the US troops in 1967, for a Six Day War fought almost exclusively with British and French supplied weapons, you must tell us where this information can be verified.

Otherwise, you are beginning to look a lot like a troll.[:D]

Eric The(AndANotVeryBrightTrollAtThat)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

E.T.,

what does a "troll" look like ??  (Is there a discernable visual distinction between a regular troll and a "not very bright troll ??")

When I was about three my Grandfather told me about one living nearby under a bridge but I could just never get even a glimpse of that troll.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:Is this something that LBJ did in secret while publicly imposing an American arms embargo on the Middle East?
View Quote

Renamed..... do you know what you're talking about?!!!  Thought not!

DaMan
View Quote

Am I the one suggesting that American arms were diverted from Vietnam to Israel?  

If I don't know what I'm talking about, then, please, fill me in.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#5]
The Israel/PLO conflict is a family dispute. No matter how smart you think you are, or how right you think you are, you still will never come close to having a handle on it unless you are a part of it. Even then it defies both logic and reason.

If we were to put the Israelis and the Palestinians in non-descript clothing, and observe them outside their religion, I defy anyone to find any real imperical difference in the two groups. I'm part Arab and I cant even tell them apart sometimes (other than Yasser Arafat, who is an ass-kissing camel look-a-like who has about as much political clout as Barney. Seriously, he looks like a product of a relationship between Rodney Dangerfield and a Camel!)

In my humble opinion the two sides deserve eachother. The Palestinians should have shut up and enjoyed the good life in Jordan while they had it, the Israelis for their part aught not to have established an ethnicist state where they knew they would have to live at a near state of war for the forseeable future just to get by.

Should Israel fall? No. Fifty years, or a two hundred and fifty years, its still history, and they've got as much right to be where they are as US citizens who live on former Indian land. It wasnt 'right' when it happened, but its a little too late now. Should a seperate Palestinian state be formed? Are you kidding? That would be like letting the Southern states who still want to, form their own country. Or better yet, allowing the Aryan Nations Idaho, Montana and parts of various other states.

The only solution is the censure of militants on BOTH sides and the absorbtion of Muslim Palestinians into Israel as normaized citizens. Seperation of Church and State in the US is a good idea- seperation of Church and State in Isreal may be the only solution.

Shalom
Salaam

Amir.

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Post from 5subslr5 -
E.T.,

what does a "troll" look like ?? (Is there a discernable visual distinction between a regular troll and a "not very bright troll ??")

When I was about three my Grandfather told me about one living nearby under a bridge but I could just never get even a glimpse of that troll.
View Quote

I have no idea what they may look like, but I do know what they sound like:
Eric the Hun, in which branch of the US military did you serve in Viet Nam (or any other US conflict)?

Just wondering.

DaMan
View Quote

See, and I leave it up to you, [b]subsailor[/b], to determine whether that sounds like a particularly smart troll or a particularly not so very bright one! [:D]

Eric The(UseYourGoodJudgment)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Post from 5subslr5 -
Stand by for labels of 'anti-semetism' and 'anti-Semitic' from those who believe in Israel Only.

For some, not very many but some, any balanced view of the mid-east situation cannot be tolerated.
View Quote

You know, [b]subsailor[/b], I keep hearing this same [b]dire warning[/b] from you every time some subject involving Israel comes up on this Board!

I'm beginning to wonder about your consistent, pardon the expression, [i][b]Jeremiad[/b][/i] on all such occasions.

Is it a 'shot across the bow' you're making?

Inquiring Huns want to know.[:D]

View Quote

Eric, you know it happens and often by innuendo.

One thing I've always admired about your approach to this subject is your continuity.  Although we disagree on most aspects I still admire your consistency.

Too often my personal opinion of the need for a more balanced approach in the region is attacked as being anit-Israel and more often anti-Jewish.  I firmly believe peace is possible and firmly believe peace is by far the best solution for both Israeli's and Palestinians.

My warning to the poster was just that.  A warning to be prepared.  I remember being actually shocked when I was attacked for expressing similar sentiments - at first I really didn't know what to say.

I do not accuse E.T. HUN of any high crime or misdemeanor excepting disagreement with me !!
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#8]
BTW, 'Just wondering' [b]DaMan[/b], I have never served in the US Military in any capacity.

I would ask you the same question, but I sincerely doubt that I would receive any sort of satisfactory answer.

Eric The(SoWhyWasteBandwidth?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

SteyrAUG, you should have KNOWN better!
View Quote

Damn Eric stop, your gonna make me laugh so hard I'm gonna piss a perfectly good pair of underwear.

Quoted:
Do you think we didn't [u]need[/u] Joseph Stalin's millions on the Eastern Front?  Would it have been better for the United States if the Soviet Union had not fought the Nazis, along with the Western Allies?
View Quote

ok, ok trying to stop laughing. Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that Stalin and Russia would have QUIT fighting the war with Nazi Germany if we DIDN'T climb in to bed with them?

We would have been better off as another co beligerent against Nazi Germany. We could have then concentrated our efforts on Russian containment after the war.

We should have the SAME policy for Israel. Yes, many common enemies. But we are gonna look out for ourselves and keep and eye on YOU in the meantime.

[b]PLEASE TELL ME EXACTLY WHAT ISREAL DOES FOR THE US THAT IS SO GODDAMN VALUABLE THAT WE COULD NOT ACHIEVE THE SAME THING WITH THE MONEY WE GIVE TO THEM.[/b]

Quoted:
And whether Stalin 'turned out to be OK' or not, doesn't matter. Every Nazi soldier who died at the hands of the Red Army was just one less Nazi soldier that Hitler had available for use against the United States and the Western Allies.

Surely you can grasp [u]that[/u] proposition?
View Quote

AGAIN, are you suggesting that without OFFICIAL US support for the BIGGEST MASS MURDERER in history, the Russians would have said "Fine, we're gonna STOP killing nazis." The Russians were going to Berlin ANYWAY no matter what.

Hitler killed 10 million.

Stalin killed 20 million.

I guess we sided with Stalin cause he had that "go get 'em" attitude that we admire so much. HEY, so does Israel...

Quoted:Hmmm, wonder what D-Day would have looked like with, oh, several hundred thousand more Nazis stationed behind the beaches?
View Quote

Would have looked EXACTLY the same without a official alliance with Russia. Pease see above. But maybe since the Russians were so helpful we should have used them in the Pacific. Imagine a northen invasion of Hokkaido, then fast forward a couple years. Hmmm... Communist North Japan makes enroads against Dmocratic Southern Japan. Sound familiar? Wanna know WHY we didn't want Stalins help in Japan?

But why the hell NOT? He was the enemy of OUR enemy. Shouldn't he have been our friend? We should have just given him the a bomb. After all friends don't keep secrets.

Quoted:
How as it that FDR put it when discussing some South American dictator who was supporting the American War effort? Oh yes: 'He may be an SOB, but he's [u]our[/u] SOB.'
View Quote

PREFECT. Quote a communist to support your "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" position.

Quoted:Eric The(ThankGodWe'llNeverKnow)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

No, you surely never will. And you should have KNOWN better.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Post from 5subslr5 -
I do not accuse E.T. HUN of any high crime or misdemeanor excepting disagreement with me !!
View Quote

I find it [u]very[/u] disagreeable to have a disagreement with you on [u]any[/u] matter.

But at least I have a swabbie's 'clean bill of health' that I can attach to my resume.

Eric The(Thankful)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#11]
No, Eric!  I didn't say that supplies were DIVERTED from OUR TROOPS in Viet Nam to support the Israelis DURING their 1967 war! I said supplies were DIVERTED [b]to the Israelis in 1967 THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN AVAILABLE IN 1968 for OUR TROOPS[/b]!!!!!? !

DO YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE?!!!  EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE U.S. DOES!

DaMan
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Post from steyrAUG -
Damn Eric stop, your gonna make me laugh so hard I'm gonna piss a perfectly good pair of underwear.
View Quote

Fer chrissake's boy, don't do that!

Let's just agree to disagree on this one, SteyrAUG.

I just can't imagine that our wartime assistance to the despicable Soviet Union did not insure that more American men would come home alive and in one piece.

And that, after all, is the rationale for even having allies.

I'll never be able to look at all those clips from WWII the same way now.[:D]

Now, don't get me wrong, it was pleasant enough to find out that not 250,000 Red Army soldiers died, but possibly as many as 500,000 may have perished in the Battle of Berlin.

But in 1945, if you had said such a thing, well, even Patton might have slapped you!

Eric The(HellAndHeEvemWantedToGoAfter'Em)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Post from 5subslr5 -

View Quote

[>]:)]
View Quote

Eric, you know it happens and often by innuendo.

Too often my personal opinion of the need for a more balanced approach in the region is attacked as being anit-Israel and more often anti-Jewish.  

View Quote

ETH -

In case you are tempted to think subslr is tilting windmills, I concur with what he's saying.

TOO FREQUENTLY, opinions dissenting to the "Israel ONLY" opinion are shouted down with "Jew hater."

Frequently, its done via ennuendo, and statements like "I'm beginning to wonder about your consistent, pardon the expression, [i][b]Jeremiad[/b][/i] " - statements  which everyone knows is intended to say something, while never being able to be pinned down as to having actually said it.

Smear people, while trying to appear lily white.

Tell us, what exactly are you beginning to wonder? Why subslr is consistent in his views? (That USED to be considered a good thing) Or are you wondering if he too is a "Jew hater?"

If you AREN'T trying to imply that he is a Jew hater (and I'll concede that you are not) then you SHOULD NOT use innuendo like the one above. Such innuendos are the tool of the Clintonista, and beneath your keen mind, and sharp intellect.

(The Above preceeding message is a public service brought to you by the Garandman School of Tact and Diplomacy [;D] )
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, Eric!  I didn't say that supplies were DIVERTED from OUR TROOPS in Viet Nam to support the Israelis DURING their 1967 war! I said supplies were DIVERTED [b]to the Israelis in 1967 THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN AVAILABLE IN 1968 for OUR TROOPS[/b]!!!!!? !

DO YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE?!!!  EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE U.S. DOES!

DaMan
View Quote

This would probably be considered "priority" resupply ....over the needs of US troops???!
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

(The...... Garandman School of Tact and Diplomacy [;D] )
-----------------------------------------------

G.Man, thankfully I now have discovered your school !!

Several of my former wives have suggested that I attend an 'institution' such as yours.  (Various other institutions have also been proposed at various times but 'none' to speak of.)

[:D]

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Sitting Bull:
Man, sure looks like the terror bombing campaign by the PLO against Israel is working really well.  Israel is totally unable to defend itself against these attacks.  The people of Israel are completely terrorized and are being forced to abide by the terms dictated by the PLO at the bargaining table.  It looks like the new name for Israel is going to be Palestine.
View Quote

Bull Crap!  Israel will come out of this looking like she sheets flowers!

DaMan
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted: DaMan, [u]you[/u] made that statement. Not me. I asked for you to show proof that any military resouces (sic) were diverted from US troops in Vietnam for use in the Israelis Six Day War.
View Quote

THis is great! DaMan
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Post from garandman -
TOO FREQUENTLY, opinions dissenting to the "Israel ONLY" opinion are shouted down with "Jew hater."
View Quote

When and where have [u][b]I[/b][/i] ever done this 'tactful' garandman?
Frequently, its done via ennuendo, and statements like "I'm beginning to wonder about your consistent, pardon the expression, Jeremiad " - statements which everyone knows is intended to say something, while never being able to be pinned down as to having actually said it.
View Quote

So my use of the word 'Jeremiad' is a 'smear' of [b]subsailor[/b]? How so? Do you not think that I chose that very word out of a universe of words simply to 'gig' him, just a little?

I don't believe that the word is much in use any longer for painfully obvious reasons - no one reads the Old Testament any longer!

So how am I being able 'not to be pinned down' by a word that can be looked up in any Funk & Wagnalls?

Well? Ask [b]subsailor[/b] whether he thought that my use of the word 'Jeremiad' was a 'smear', or not. Simple enough?
Tell us, what exactly are you beginning to wonder? Why subslr is consistent in his views? (That USED to be considered a good thing) Or are you wondering if he too is a "Jew hater?"
View Quote

I support [b]subsailor's[/b] right to express his views, as he does mine, apparently.

What I was beginning to 'wonder' is if he used that accusatory approach to make certain that a shot across the bow of would-be-accusers of anti-simitism might not be forewarned and dissuaded from even bringing it up.

There is no evidence that anyone has accused anyone, so far as I can remember, of being anti-semitic. Not that I have thoroughly reviewed each post on this thread.

Both you and he sometimes claim 'foul' where none has yet been shown on a thread. With [b]subsailor[/b] I have always assumed that is just his little bit of wry Oklahoma wit.

Do you think it's not?

Enlighten me.

BTW, if I have offended you [b]subsailor[/b], let me know, 'cause I would never do that!

Eric The(Stalwart)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Of course, garandman, it never bothers you that anyone refers to my side of this argument as an 'Israel Only' or Israel First' epithet!

Where's that tact you teach at your school?

Absent, when the shoe is on the other foot, perhaps?

Eric The(EvenMoreTactful)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: DaMan, [u]you[/u] made that statement. Not me. I asked for you to show proof that any military resouces (sic) were diverted from US troops in Vietnam for use in the Israelis Six Day War.
View Quote

Israelis [sic] Six Day War, Eric?

[b]"OUR"[/b] GI's noted it at the time!

YOU don't believe resources were diverted?

[b]FOLLOW THE MONEY[/b]!!!!!

DaMan
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG

[b]PLEASE TELL ME EXACTLY WHAT ISREAL DOES FOR THE US THAT IS SO XXXXXX VALUABLE THAT WE COULD NOT ACHIEVE THE SAME THING WITH THE MONEY WE GIVE TO THEM.[/b]

But maybe since the Russians were so helpful we should have used them in the Pacific.
View Quote

SteyrAUG,
from purely a point of view that puts the United States first I've long wondered and argued as to Israel's value from strictly a strategic - not religious - but strategic point.

I believe Arabia and Turkey to be of extreme value strategically but not Israel.
-----------------------------------------------

With regards to the Russians in the Pacific, actually they were of great value.

For almost all the war the Soviet Union had a non-aggression pact in place between themselves and Japan.  Two weeks before the end of WW II, the Soviets (Stalin) broke the pact and declared war on Japan.
Most likely Stalin's breaking of the pact and not the dropping of two atomic bombs caused WW II to end.

Japan had some knowledge of the division between the allies of post-war Europe.  Your point about "Soviet Hokkaido" and the Japanese Islands north undoubtedly played heavily into Japan's decision to surrender.

The Emperor's decision to require the Japanese people to "do the unthinkable and bear the unbearable" allowed Japan to remain intact post-war.

(All from memory and therefore suspect.)
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You know, [b]subsailor[/b], I keep hearing this same [b]dire warning[/b] from you every time Jeremiad Is 'shot across the bow'?

View Quote

[:D]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Eric, can't you join in the JDF?

DaMan
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm still waiting for information on this supposed diversion of "resources" to Israel in 1967.

1) What was diverted?  Artillery shells, jet fuel, toilet paper...?

2) When was it diverted?  Before, during, or after the Six Day War?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#25]
This is all such silly BS.

Most people would agree that America regards Israel as it's Ally.  I doubt Israel regards us in the same light.  Israel looks at the US (the US government in particular) in the same way Welfare deadbeats feel that they are "entitled" to handouts.

Israel couldn't care less about us.  There is good evidence that there were Israeli intelligence officers workin in the US prior to 9/11/2001, and they KNEW what was going to happen.  Doesn't anyone remember all the spy cases involving our good ally in the Mid East?

Arabs have been reared for generations to be fanatical, easily brainwashed, religious nuts.  Israel is not much better.  The huge majority of them still carry around the belief that they are "chosen" by God.  That they are his people.  Regardless if they are chosen or not, it seems to make them to feel entitled to treat every other ethnic group as sub human.  

There is no doubt that both sides are insane.  That is just one "infidel" or "gentile's" view on things.

I just wish the majority of nations would step back and let these bastards kill each other.  It would save us a lot of work when we have to go kill whoever is left.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

...... he sometimes claim 'foul' where none has yet been shown on a thread.

Eric The(Stalwart)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Eric, to be serious for only a moment 'fouls' were posted in other threads.  Positions, opinions and sentiments most often carry-over from topic to topic.

The poster I was warning - and it was simply a warning and nothing more - had relatively few posts and I wanted to prepare him(?) for a possible adverse response.

Recently our friend from Italy suggested that I "use the truth sometimes." (Probably more of a paraphrase.)

To the best of my knowledge and abilities I use the truth all the time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Post from DaMan -

"OUR" GI's noted it at the time!

FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!!!

DaMan
View Quote

Good Gawd, DaMan, do you have a [u]point[/u] to any of these useless ramblings of yours?

Surely, you're not just trolling on this Board?[:D]

I can swear by the Prophet's beard, DaMan, that I have never, ever learned anything of any value from any of your posts!

Are you trying to set a record of some sort?

BTW, do you still think that those 15 young ladies were [b]not[/b] pushed back into their burning school by the [i][b]Mutaween[/b][/i].

We cackled about [u]that[/u] for days around here!

I 'red flagged' it in my favorites right along with that 'Sept 12th' post you made. You know which one, don't be bashful now!

I was worried you might not show up around here any more, so I was particularly concerned!

How will I ever know what the 'Arab Street' is lying about today without DaMan's guidance?

So have you found those references on the diversion of military supplies, resources, or what have you from our men in Vietnam to the folks in Israel yet?

We're waiting with bated breath.

Eric The(JustRazzingYouBoy!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Post from DaMan -

"OUR" GI's noted it at the time!

FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!!!

DaMan
View Quote

Good Gawd, DaMan, do you have a [u]point[/u] to any of these useless ramblings of yours?

Surely, you're not just trolling on this Board?[:D]

I can swear by the Prophet's beard, DaMan, that I have never, ever learned anything of any value from any of your posts!

Are you trying to set a record of some sort?

BTW, do you still think that those 15 young ladies were [b]not[/b] pushed back into their burning school by the [i][b]Mutaween[/b][/i].

We cackled about [u]that[/u] for days around here!

I 'red flagged' it in my favorites right along with that 'Sept 12th' post you made. You know which one, don't be bashful now!

I was worried you might not show up around here any more, so I was particularly concerned!

How will I ever know what the 'Arab Street' is lying about today without DaMan's guidance?

So have you found those references on the diversion of military supplies, resources, or what have you from our men in Vietnam to the folks in Israel yet?

We're waiting with bated breath.

Eric The(JustRazzingYouBoy!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Post from DaMan -
Eric, can't you join in the JDF?
View Quote

Well, it would be helpful to know what the JDF might be.

I suppose, [b]DaMan[/b], you may be referring to the IDF, possibly?

You surely didn't think they were called the Jewish Defense Force, did you boy?

Well, then again, maybe you did.

See? Just another post of yours that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!

Tell me, is there a Guinness Book of Records listing for the most pointless posts?[:D]

Eric The(LadiesAndGentlemen,WeHaveAWinner!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

For almost all the war the Soviet Union had a non-aggression pact in place between themselves and Japan.  Two weeks before the end of WW II, the Soviets (Stalin) broke the pact and declared war on Japan.
Most likely Stalin's breaking of the pact and not the dropping of two atomic bombs caused WW II to end.

Japan had some knowledge of the division between the allies of post-war Europe.  Your point about "Soviet Hokkaido" and the Japanese Islands north undoubtedly played heavily into Japan's decision to surrender.

The Emperor's decision to require the Japanese people to "do the unthinkable and bear the unbearable" allowed Japan to remain intact post-war.

View Quote

Correct on many points except...

Russia did NOT threaten the Japanese home islands. Truman made it very clear that he did NOT want Stalin in Japan proper.

Russia DID devour previously held Japanese positions in Asia and bolstered Maos conquests as well.

An Japan would NOT have surrendered due to the atomic bombs IF we still planned a homeland invasion. It was by making this invasion so costly that Japan bbelieved they could secure a "conditional" surrender.

When it became apparent that NO invasion would happen and that we would continue atomic attacks they would have eventually surrendered unconditionally.

A hypothetical Russian invasion of Japan proper would have done nothing to speed surrender. They were prepared to, and probably would have, fought to the last man, woman and child. It would have only been a matter of how much of the fighting would be done by us versus Russia. Then the division of territory would be the next consideration. It would have been very much like the conquest of Germany with a divided Japan and eventually Cold War possibilities.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Eric, it's 14 young girls who died!  But accuracy isn't your specialty!

Were their deaths CAUSED by the the religious police?

DaMan
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Post from 5subslr5 -
I believe Arabia and Turkey to be of extreme value strategically but not Israel.
View Quote

Well, I agree with you that Turkey will be of extreme strategic value to the US in any confrontation with Iraq.

But Arabia? Maybe if there were no Saudis in Arabia, we could use our bases there.

But the way things look now....

Eric The(CheckThisOutWithDaMan,He'sTheBoard'sResidentExpertOnSaudiArabia...BwahHaHaHa..I'mKidding)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Let's just agree to disagree on this one, SteyrAUG.
View Quote

What part do you disagree with? Do you disagree that Russia would have fought just as vigorously, if not more, had we not had official ties with them?

Quoted:I just can't imagine that our wartime assistance to the despicable Soviet Union did not insure that more American men would come home alive and in one piece.
View Quote

I think it was negligible. Our alliance had already dictated where the US would stop. We could have just as simply let them take Berlin with pretty much the exact same results. The Yalta conditions could have been arrived upon without much of a formal alliance. Or we could have simply raced them for Berlin and possibly won, securing and sparing much of Europe from the Iron Curtain.

Quoted:And that, after all, is the rationale for even having allies.
View Quote

No, allies are able, friendly countries who support you in time of need. Britain is our ally. Israel and France profess to be allies but are in reality a pain in the ass. Russia was our WW2 pain in the ass. Every territory they "helped us with" became a staging area for communist expansion.

Quoted:Now, don't get me wrong, it was pleasant enough to find out that not 250,000 Red Army soldiers died, but possibly as many as 500,000 may have perished in the Battle of Berlin.
View Quote

The Germans killed many Russian pilots who would have otherwise flown against US pilots in the Korean War. Should we have had an alliance with Germany based upon thse facts?

Russia betgan the war by attacking Poland at exactly the same time as Germany and violated the very same British, French, Polish alliance. Stalin in fact split Poland up with Germany as a term of their non aggression pact. A fact DELIBERATELY overlooked in studies of US history. So Russia was just as guilty of sparking WW2 as Germany. What made Stalin, who beat Hilters kill ration by 10 million innocent lives, so much more desirable than Hitler?

*I actually know the answer, but it demonstrates the point. Stalin was no better.

Quoted:
But in 1945, if you had said such a thing, well, even Patton might have slapped you!

Eric The(HellAndHeEvemWantedToGoAfter'Em)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

George Patton, the guy who wanted to unify the remnents of the German Army and march on Russia and finish Stalin off once and for all.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct on many points except...

Russia did NOT threaten the Japanese home islands. Truman made it very clear that he did NOT want Stalin in Japan proper.

Russia DID devour previously held Japanese positions in Asia and bolstered Maos conquests as well.

An Japan would NOT have surrendered due to the atomic bombs IF we still planned a homeland invasion. It was by making this invasion so costly that Japan bbelieved they could secure a "conditional" surrender.

When it became apparent that NO invasion would happen and that we would continue atomic attacks they would have eventually surrendered unconditionally.

A hypothetical Russian invasion of Japan proper would have done nothing to speed surrender. They were prepared to, and probably would have, fought to the last man, woman and child. It would have only been a matter of how much of the fighting would be done by us versus Russia. Then the division of territory would be the next consideration. It would have been very much like the conquest of Germany with a divided Japan and eventually Cold War possibilities.
View Quote

Steyr,

we 'did' intend on invading the Japanese Islands.  Both British and American troops in Germany were preparing for deployment to the Pacific.  Some troops were in fact enroute when the war ended.

I do not believe the Emperor ended the war for fear of nuclear weapons or the corresponding loss of life.  After all more lives had been lost in the fire bombings of Tokyo in April 1945 than were lost in either atomic blast.

The Japanese was plan was simple.  Cause enough loss of allied lives to force a negotiated surrender instead of an unconditional surrender.
One of the goals of the this plan was to allow the Emperor to remain on the throne.

Of anyone Truman might have chosen, McArthur was certainly the best choice.  The General had a good understanding of the Japanese mind and allowed the Emperor to remain after the unconditional surrender.

No, I believe it was fear of a partial Soviet occupation that was the final and deciding factor.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Post from 5subslr5 -
View Quote

Well, I agree with you that Turkey will be of extreme strategic value to the US in any confrontation with Iraq.

But Arabia? Maybe if there were no Saudis in Arabia, we could use our bases there.

But the way things look now....

Eric The(CheckThisOutWithDaMan,He'sTheBoard'sResidentExpertOnSaudiArabia...BwahHaHaHa..I'mKidding)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Eric,
fortunately or unfortunately, correct or incorrect there will be no Arabians in the portion of Arabia needed should our need become acute.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
BTW, if I have offended you subsailor, let me know, 'cause I would never do that!
View Quote

Just what kind of lawyer are you! Even good ole' boy "Matlock" offended people. Is it just a texas thing?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Steyr,

we 'did' intend on invading the Japanese Islands.  Both British and American troops in Germany were preparing for deployment to the Pacific.  Some troops were in fact enroute when the war ended.
View Quote

True, the impending invasion was called Olympic.

Quoted:
I do not believe the Emperor ended the war for fear of nuclear weapons or the corresponding loss of life.  After all more lives had been lost in the fire bombings of Tokyo in April 1945 than were lost in either atomic blast.
View Quote

Again true. But it wasn't the loss of life or threat of atomic (not nuclear) weapons that motivated the Hirohito. It was the realization that the US did not NEED to invade Japan. That negated the protracted homeland defense the Japanese hoped would give them a bargaining chip to secure a "conditional" surrender. When the Japanese realized the Marines would NOT be coming and that we intended to simply rain conventional, incindiary and atomic bombs on them they threw in the towel.

The important thing to remember is they wanted to retain their Emporer at any cost. This was their motivation. When they had no cards left to play, the game was over.

Quoted:
The Japanese [was] plan was simple.  Cause enough loss of allied lives to force a negotiated surrender instead of an unconditional surrender.
One of the goals of the this plan was to allow the Emperor to remain on the throne.
View Quote

I should have read this before replying to  the above. Again, all true.

Quoted:
Of anyone Truman might have chosen, McArthur was certainly the best choice.  The General had a good understanding of the Japanese mind and allowed the Emperor to remain after the unconditional surrender.
View Quote

The fact that we hinted the emporer could be retained probably brought about the Japanese surrender more than anything else. "Officially" it was unconditional. However many Japanese war criminal went untried. In fact a Japanese officer who executed one of the Doolittle fliers, and then had his liver prepared for dinner and ate it went on to become a member of the Japanese Diet. Diet of course being the government, no pun intended.

Quoted:
No, I believe it was fear of a partial Soviet occupation that was the final and deciding factor.
View Quote

Fear of a Soviet invasion did factor. They feared the US might allow the Soviets to do the lion share of the work, as in Germany, and thereby not have a bargaining chip to use against the US.

On a side note. Very few of the Japanese realize just how much the BOMB saved their country. Had the US been forced to invade, the soviets would have probably gone in invited or not. After all what were we gonna do about it, start a concurrent war with Russia? This would have resulted in a partitioned Japan and later a north-south war. The Korean War would probably have been preceded by the Japanese War. The Japanese have the US and the A bomb to tthank for the fact that they are not a communist country making TVs and radios of Soviet quality.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steyr,

View Quote

True, the impending invasion was called Olympic.

Quoted:
View Quote

Again true. But it wasn't the loss of life or threat of atomic (not nuclear) weapons that motivated the Hirohito. It was the realization that the US did not NEED to invade Japan. That negated the protracted homeland defense the Japanese hoped would give them a bargaining chip to secure a "conditional" surrender. When the Japanese realized the Marines would NOT be coming and that we intended to simply rain conventional, incindiary and atomic bombs on them they threw in the towel.

The important thing to remember is they wanted to retain their Emporer at any cost. This was their motivation. When they had no cards left to play, the game was over.

(Edited for space)

On a side note. Very few of the Japanese realize just how much the BOMB saved their country. Had the US been forced to invade, the soviets would have probably gone in invited or not. After all what were we gonna do about it, start a concurrent war with Russia? This would have resulted in a partitioned Japan and later a north-south war. The Korean War would probably have been preceded by the Japanese War. The Japanese have the US and the A bomb to tthank for the fact that they are not a communist country making TVs and radios of Soviet quality.
View Quote

I believe we are mostly in agreement.

The lack of Japanese war crimes prosecution had to be a low-point in the aftermath of WW II.

However, I must tell you that we fully intended to invade Japan.  The Marines (and one whole bunch of soldiers) were coming.  (I don't even like typing these words but the body bags had been ordered.)

We had no atomic bombs other than the two we dropped !
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I do not believe the Emperor ended the war for fear of nuclear weapons or the corresponding loss of life. After all more lives had been lost in the fire bombings of Tokyo in April 1945 than were lost in either atomic blast
View Quote

True, but your enemy has just came up with a weapon in which there is no safe place. Not even underground. And instead of "HE MIGHT MISS" this is no longer the Issue as he can't miss. And your On an Island (Where the hell can you go?)  The Incendniary devices have a large inpact. But after the Atomic Bomb over Hiroshima that memory of the INC. Devices was gone.  Read these:

A Junior College Girl:

Ah, that Instant! I felt as thought I had been struck on the back with something like a big hammer, and thrown into boiling oil... I seem to have been blown a good way north...

The first Junior-college Girl, the one whoes teacher called everyone to look up.

The vicinity was in pitch darkness; from the depths of the gloom, bright red flames rise crackling, and spread moment by moment. The face of my friends who just before were working energetically are now burned and blistered, their cloths torn to rags; to what shall I liken their trembling appearance as they stagger about? Our teached is holdering her students close to her like a mother hen protecting her chicks....

As the blast rocketing at 2 MILES/SECOND from the hypocenter. Wave Front Moving +10,400 Feet per second.  

Within the city, notes Hachiya, the sky looked as though it had been painted with light and people had seen only a sharp, blinding flash of light, .

A 35 year old man
 A woman with her haw missing and her tongue hanging out of her mouth was wandering aroudn the area of SHINSHO-MACHI in the HEAVY BLACK RAIN. She was heading toward the north crying for help.  <--- this seems like a hullicination to me????

A 17 year old girl:

I walked past Hiroshima Station.. And saw people with their bowels and brains comming out.. I saw an old lady carrying a suckling infant in her arms..

Yoko Ota Raged:
 We were being killed against our will by something completely unknown to us.. It is the misery of being thrown into a world of new terror and fear, a world more unknown than that of people sick with cancer.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#41]
To this day the Japanese have never forgiven themselves for that mistake.  The IMPACT of that event is SEARED into their collective memories and it will never go.  

I don't know about you guys, but the nation was in the grips of fear during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  We are several miles past that point now.  Its comming boy, and both the US and ISREAL are going to get NUKED. So unless we stop those Sons a bitches we are going to be in the same position as the Japanese above. And that ain't no fcking lie.   Now then I would as soon take the war and the hell to them then otherway around. But if there are nukes already here then we can kiss some of us goodbye.  

I don't ever want to see these United States at the height of its potential wrath. Because the US can take every soul from Palestine to the Chinese boarder in a second. And if we get nuked then you are going to see an area 2000 miles by 1000 miles scorched to NOTHING. And there ain't gonna be a drop of oil come out of the middle east for 200 years. I just hope those SOB'S over there realize it.

Ben
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Russia betgan the war by attacking Poland at exactly the same time as Germany and violated the very same British, French, Polish alliance.
View Quote

Not quite.  Germany invaded Poland on 1 September 1939; the USSR didn't invade Poland until 17 September 1939.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Get this Shit, remembering the Hiroshima was 18kt. The nukes we can expect are from 10kT up.

Yale Medical School Pathologist working with a join American-Japanese study commission a few months ofter the war:

Accompanying the flash of light was an instantaneous flash of heat... It duration was probably less the one tenth of a second and its intensity was sufficient to cause nearby flammable objects.. to burst into flame and char poles as far as 4,000 yards away from the hypocenter. At 600-700 yards it was sufficient to chip and roughen granits... The heat also produced bubbling of tile to about 1,300 yards. It has been found by experiment that to produce this effect a temperature of 3,000 deg. Farhen. acting for four seconds is necessary, but under these condition the effect is deeper, which indicates that the temperature was higher and the duration less during the hiroshima explosion....

Because the heat int he flash comes in sucha  short time, there is not time for any cooling to take place, and the temperature of a persons skin can be raised to 120 deg. Fahren in the first millisecond at a distance of 2.3 miles..

Granted this was an arial burst. The effects are less dramatic on a ground burst. But I don't want to be anywhere near that.

So regardless of anyones stance on Isreal v. Palestine , a couple of facts remain.  The middle east does not like Isreal or the US. Iraq will use its atomic weapon if and when they have one and they may already.  These things are not even debatable.  I notice the discussions don't run around wheather they like each other or not, just who is right. I personally like Isreal, but event that is irrelevant when compared to the fact that the worst and most WRONG thing that the US can do is NOT STOP all of the THEM. Anyone who threatens the US with Atomic Weapons. In the Muslim mind the US and ISREAL are the same BEAST, to use their own words. And they are the ones with the potential to harm us as evidence by 9-11 and as evidenced by their actions over sees.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Benjamin,

Do you think that Pakistan will use (or, more accurately, assist in the use of) a nuclear weapon against the United States?

They have nukes.

They're muslims.

They're politically unstable.

And while they're supposedly our allies in the War on Terror, they've supported the Taliban in the past and there are probably (at least) several hundred Taliban/Al-Quaeda fighters hiding in Pakistan right now.

If there's a nuclear blast in Manhattan on Monday, do we retaliate against them?  Or Iraq?  Or Iran?  Or...?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Russia betgan the war by attacking Poland at exactly the same time as Germany and violated the very same British, French, Polish alliance.
View Quote

Not quite.  Germany invaded Poland on 1 September 1939; the USSR didn't invade Poland until 17 September 1939.
View Quote

By PRIOR agreement. They weren't in a hurry, it was already theirs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Renamed,
I'm not Benjamin but I don't see much probability of Pakistan using nukes on the U.S.

What I do fear are the so-called "suitcase" nukes missing from the former Soviet Unions inventory.

My next fear is a "dirty" bomb.  Nuclear material surrounding a large conventional explosive.  The death toll probably wouldn't be high but the psychological impact would be great.  This type bomb is by far the easiest to make and any nuclear contaminated material will work.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So regardless of anyones stance on Isreal v. Palestine , a couple of facts remain.  The middle east does not like Isreal or the US. Iraq will use its atomic weapon if and when they have one and they may already.  These things are not even debatable.  I notice the discussions don't run around wheather they like each other or not, just who is right. I personally like Isreal, but event that is irrelevant when compared to the fact that the worst and most WRONG thing that the US can do is NOT STOP all of the THEM. Anyone who threatens the US with Atomic Weapons. In the Muslim mind the US and ISREAL are the same BEAST, to use their own words. And they are the ones with the potential to harm us as evidence by 9-11 and as evidenced by their actions over sees.

Benjamin
View Quote

I agree with you. But our alliance with Israel put us in that position.

Bottom line, they are ALL religious fanatics. They are exactly the same. The Muslim fanatics killed Sadat. That is what happens when you are a Muslim leader and try and bring your people out of the dark ages. The Jewish fanatics killed Begin. That is what happens when you are a Jewish leader and try and bring your people out of the dark ages. Both of these guys were killed by their own people.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
To this day the Japanese have never forgiven themselves for that mistake.  The IMPACT of that event is SEARED into their collective memories and it will never go.  

I don't know about you guys, but the nation was in the grips of fear during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  We are several miles past that point now.  Its comming boy, and both the US and ISREAL are going to get NUKED. So unless we stop those Sons a bitches we are going to be in the same position as the Japanese above. And that ain't no fcking lie.   Now then I would as soon take the war and the hell to them then otherway around. But if there are nukes already here then we can kiss some of us goodbye.  

I don't ever want to see these United States at the height of its potential wrath. Because the US can take every soul from Palestine to the Chinese boarder in a second. And if we get nuked then you are going to see an area 2000 miles by 1000 miles scorched to NOTHING. And there ain't gonna be a drop of oil come out of the middle east for 200 years. I just hope those SOB'S over there realize it.

Ben
View Quote

The Japanese have never forgiven themselves for what mistake ?

As for your "letters" from the Japanese what is your point ?  
The invasion that was coming would have cost millions of Japanese lives and estimates range from 500,000 - 1,000,000 allied lives.

Fear the Arabs ?  I don't think so.  If you choose to look for an enemy worthy of fear look no further than China.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Post from DaMan -
Eric, it's 14 young girls who died! But accuracy isn't your specialty!
View Quote

Nope. It was 15 dead, with 52 injured. Want to see my source for that?

Of course you would! Just ask.
Were their deaths CAUSED by the the religious police?
View Quote

Absolutely! They were herded back into the burning building by the [i][b]Mutawaeen[/b][/i].

Can't get any worse than that, eh, boy?

But where are those references to US military resources diverted to the Israelis just in time for the Six Day War.

Sheesh, if the Israelis had to wait on the US to deliver those resources as long as we've had to wait on you for your answer, well, you get the picture.

Hey, I thought you were the self-proclaimed expert of Middle Eastern news here on the Board. What happened?

This stuff should be right on the tip of your tongue!

Eric The(Perplexed)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Do you think that Pakistan will use (or, more accurately, assist in the use of) a nuclear weapon against the United States?

They have nukes.
They're muslims.

And while they're supposedly our allies in the War on Terror, they've supported the Taliban in the past and there are probably (at least) several hundred Taliban/Al-Quaeda fighters hiding in Pakistan

If there's a nuclear blast in Manhattan on Monday, do we retaliate against them? Or Iraq?Or Iran? Or...?
View Quote

Some people are not going to like my Answer, but , and I will put this as delicately as I might, Giving the Manner in WHICH MUSLIM NATIONS CONDUCT DIPLOMACY, I know that we don't have ONE friend over there save Isreal. I also know that THERE ARE MEN WHO MEAN WHAT THEY SAY AND MEN WHO TALK WITH AN EYE AS TO FORSTALL, MISDIRECT, OR MIS ALIGN themselves with many things, but they have never spoken the truth in their life.

Rumor has it that in the last few days, Cheney was said tohave told the Crown prince of SAUDI Arabia, either help us get IRAQ or there will be Dire consequences for the Royal HOUSE OF SAUDI. If true that means the GWB is not fucking around with these people. That he is on a mission to get them before they get us. And it also means that they and perhaps we, are living on barrowed time.  So to answer your question:

I remember setting in front of the TV and watching the Leader of Pakistan a few days after 9-11. He came onto TV broadcast by CNN worldwide and I saw a man who was in fear for not only his own life but his own Power.  He was rambling on and on and repeated himself perhaps 30 or 40 times. CALM , CALM was his message, but I think he was also talking to himself. The US had went to him and said, LET US IN. He DID. The nation was in.  The point of origination is the point of destruction.  Pakistan, IRAN, IRAQ.  If IRAQ SENDS THE BOMB? then 1 MX with 10MIRV's at 20 Mega Tons each to IRAQ, If Pakistan sends it Same thing. If they are willing to harbor Terrorists, IN ANY FASHION FOR ANY REASON THEY ARE WILLING TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THOSE TERRORISTS BEING THERE.  

I know a man who's Word IS IRON. IF HE SAYS YOU ARE GOING DOWN THEN BY GOD YOU ARE GOING DOWN.  Someone once stole some cigarettes out of his shop.  They were about to take off when he goes to each tire and sticks his knife through it, and then goes around and busts all the windows out of their car. Buy the time the cops got there , there were not going to go near this old man. They were asking him what he did that for?? The cops arive and they try to get the old man in trouble for totally fucking up their car.  The cops thank him and arrest the people in the car and leave.

This old man is the only person in my entire life that I have been afraid of. I was not one of them in the car.  I love him and I know him... I have never met anyone like him.. And I respect the hell out of him.  What I am saying is this, The Middle East is very good at trying to sneak around the truth or not seeing it altogether. I believe that GWB is a man who means what he says. And I believe that if they test him once they will never get another chance to test him again. And with that, I believe that if what I think I see is true then the other countries in that region are going to realize it as soon as someone else tests him. And I think that Once is all that it will have to be done. I don't think It will happen twice.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top