Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as Putin and the like are in charge.. yes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If any of you get the chance to read "The New Tsar" it goes into great detail about putin and how he thinks. After reading the book it basically leaves off (in 2014 15ish) with him view the US as evil and his country and cabinet supporting him. I see another 20-30 years of tensions in my opinion. A lot of eastern europeans hate russia and when your surrounded by hate well... it trickles off.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Russians are gonna Rus.

Part of Rusing is having paranoid xenophobia about the outside world and projecting upon all foreigners, your own predisposition for deceit, underhandedness and skullduggery.  In short, they're hostile, and because of that they think everybody else is too.

For every "we got invaded" story the russians have, their neighbors have two "the Russians invaded us" stories to match.

Russia will always Rus.  They can only be, at best under the most peaceable of circumstances, a truculent adversary.

View Quote

Spot on!
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Always?  I doubt it.

But they sure as hell aren't our friends now.  I'm not a subject matter expert, but everything I've seen indicates that their government sees the USA as a rival and likely enemy.

And they sure do love to scapegoat the USA for alot of stuff.

Again, that's just my outsider's impression.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Spot on!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Russians are gonna Rus.

Part of Rusing is having paranoid xenophobia about the outside world and projecting upon all foreigners, your own predisposition for deceit, underhandedness and skullduggery.  In short, they're hostile, and because of that they think everybody else is too.

For every "we got invaded" story the russians have, their neighbors have two "the Russians invaded us" stories to match.

Russia will always Rus.  They can only be, at best under the most peaceable of circumstances, a truculent adversary.

Spot on!

No matter what happens in the next 50 years, even if Russia becomes a "friend" I think the U.S. would always keep an very watchful eye on them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With the recent events between Russia and NATO/non-NATO countries, do you think there will ever be a time when Russia won't be considered an antagonist to the United States? For example, do you think they might join NATO in the next 20 years? What say you?
View Quote

I don't think NATO really has anything to do with it.   Culturally, they (the Russians) are like the psycho chick you don't pick up at the bar.  The last century or two has done a real number on them, and you just don't recover from that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't think that could have happened. Russia would want an equal role, Russia would behave according to different moral standards, Russia would not trust the West or the US. Russia would be a banana republic with, at best, crony capitalism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Putin needs an external enemy to justify his rule. Could Russia have been an equal partner with the west? Certainly but they,and by they I mean Putin and underlings,do not want such a relationship.

I don't think that could have happened. Russia would want an equal role, Russia would behave according to different moral standards, Russia would not trust the West or the US. Russia would be a banana republic with, at best, crony capitalism.

That description fits the US pretty well too these days.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No matter what happens in the next 50 years, even if Russia becomes a "friend" I think the U.S. would always keep an very watchful eye on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Russians are gonna Rus.

Spot on!

I don't think we'll recognize Russia in 50 years.   Their nation has a fatal problem... long-term brain drain.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't think NATO really has anything to do with it.   Culturally, they (the Russians) are like the psycho chick you don't pick up at the bar.  The last century or two has done a real number on them, and you just don't recover from that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With the recent events between Russia and NATO/non-NATO countries, do you think there will ever be a time when Russia won't be considered an antagonist to the United States? For example, do you think they might join NATO in the next 20 years? What say you?

NATO has a lot to do with it. Putin HATES NATO. He pretty much blackmailed Ukraine from joining NATO by threatening ceased trade with Ukraine if they joined. Russia is one of Ukraine's biggest, if not biggest, trading partner.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Once the cold warriors are in the retirement home we will be on decent terms. Russia's future is with Europe, even Putin knows it
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Everybody needs a convenient bogeyman.  It goes both ways.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Actually, Russian and American interests are rapidly converging.... just too many old "cold warriors" who refuse to see what's happening (changes) in the world today. If we began actively trading with Russia to a greater degree, we'd find that we have more in common with them than with a number of western european countries. DAMN sight more in common than with China. But, unfortunately, too many people still in power who won't open their eyes.
View Quote

What interests,Muslims?  You mean you want to align the US with Iran?
  What are you proposing to trade with Russia as well,oil and gas?

I am even more genuinely curious as to  just what you might list that the  US has more in common with regarding Russia than Western Europe. Bush thought that Putin was also a Christian with a Muslim problem,he didn't understand Russia any better than you do.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top