Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:32:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Well then screw my AR and my AK,, I will just use my M1A as my SHTF rifle.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:41:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I now have three rifles built from GSE uppers and lowers and they speak for themselves.
This is not a dupe but just to fire up the AK guys.

eta link working
video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2413276260890535821&q=&hl=en
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:42:55 AM EDT
[#3]
If you think AK's never jam or fail to cycle, you should go dig up the corpse of the North Hollywood bank robber who used one during the course of his crime and ask him if that is so.

FWIW, I have used AR and AK rifles extensively and it has been my experience that I've had as many issues with AK rifles as I have with AR-15s, maybe more. You can get your hands on shitty AK mags that have weak springs too. More than a few VC/NVA went to early graves with jammed AKs lying at their feet which American GI's later collected after the firefight was over. No weapon is perfect or foolproof. But combined training and knowledge of weapon maintenance techniques and repairs is a big plus.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:44:52 AM EDT
[#4]
ive got a pointy stick this is more reliable then both the AK and the AR. you should carry a pointy stick during SHTF!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:04:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ive got a pointy stick this is more reliable then both the AK and the AR. you should carry a pointy stick during SHTF!

Gets my vote, but you must wear the loin cloth.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:12:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The Sig 5XX is a POS.  I test "fired" one before I bought my last AR.  Loaded the mag that came with it in the box.  Took 2 rounds out of the 30, so 28 rounds in a 30 rnd magazine.  Took 3 times to insert the mag and make it lock into place.  First 2 times it "seemed" to be locked in place, but when I put it to my shoulder and tried to fire, it fired 1 round and the mag fell out.  Twice with a brand new mag send with a brand new rifle from Sig.  I had my local gunshop guy order it special for me, because I liked the way it looked.  Bought my Tactical Entry RRA and had him send that POS Sig back to the factory.  New isn't always better.  

AS far as accuracy.  Gimme a break with an AK.  The reason it is so easy to make an AK full auto is because it almost needs to be able to fire full auto to give you more of a chance of hitting what you are shooting at 35 yards away.    

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:13:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, mike, maybe you should use an AK.  After all, they're designed for the lowest common denominator:  uneducated, lazy peasants who aren't smart enough to clean or maintain their weapons and aren't going to bother to aim much.
You DO want to put yourself in that category, right?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:34:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah, the AR-15/M-16 would never work in a warzone.

Nope, never!

RustedAce's rifle, Iraq.

I can't recall exactly what he said regarding this picture, but to paraphrase it was essentially; 'I shook the sand off and it went bang every time.'

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah, the AR-15/M-16 would never work in a warzone.

Nope, never!

i95.photobucket.com/albums/l153/Eagle_N_Raven/332x8ix.jpg

RustedAce's rifle, Iraq.

I can't recall exactly what he said regarding this picture, but to paraphrase it was essentially; 'I shook the sand off and it went bang every time.'

staged pic,, see how un dusty that marines boots are and those shoulder straps compared to the jamomatic 5000 there on the floor
yes thats a freakin joke before some one gets some dust from that pic in their mangina
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#10]
What proof is a few still pictures of a rusty mag and ammo??

How can anyone tell if all the ammo went through that AK???

Or if the mag fuctioned at all???

FAIL!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:45:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Like stated already....shit happens.

Get both

Whats the problem?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Fanboys are a weird bunch.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Youtube rots the brain
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a WASR-10(AK-47)...And a BushMaster(AR-15).......I rather grab my WASR if SHTF!!!

If zombies were surrounding my house,I would take my AK over My AR...

Btw:I have thousands of rounds through both,and not one fail!!!  But I clean them offten!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:31:07 AM EDT
[#15]
What in the fuck was the bright idea of moving this thread to the GD as opposed to just locking it like it needed?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The ergos on AK's are crap and the AK is not as accurate as an AR.
Or as reliable.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:37:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Fanboys are a weird bunch.

+1
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yeah, mike, maybe you should use an AK.  After all, they're designed for the lowest common denominator:  uneducated, lazy peasants who aren't smart enough to clean or maintain their weapons and aren't going to bother to aim much.
You DO want to put yourself in that category, right?
beat me2 it
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#20]
It's always the AK guys that start these threads.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#22]
OP:

What are your credentials?

Or, why should we give have a loaf what your opinions are?  Are you an instructor?  Are you a shooter?  

I'll leave out the less impressive "Are you..." inquiries.

John
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

People who have served in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan will testify that they've seen PLENTY of AKs in the hands of insurgents, Iraqi military, etc - that fail all the time.  Yet somehow, even in the face of evidence to the contrary, the hardcore AK believer just refuses to accept this.  It's either delusion, or it's a serious religion/cult - but at that point it has little to do with a factual discussion.

If you love the AK and it works for you, great!  Enjoy

AK fanboys also believe in bigfoot.

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People who have served in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan will testify that they've seen PLENTY of AKs in the hands of insurgents, Iraqi military, etc - that fail all the time.  Yet somehow, even in the face of evidence to the contrary, the hardcore AK believer just refuses to accept this.  It's either delusion, or it's a serious religion/cult - but at that point it has little to do with a factual discussion.

If you love the AK and it works for you, great!  Enjoy

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#25]

FNC FTW!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#26]
If the AR design has a flaw, it's mainly in the 5.56 case. It doesn't have enough taper, which makes it more likely to stick. So why would you put that in an AK? Do you think that will make it more reliable?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I actually blame most of the recent influx of camo paint jobs on COD4, due to the many many customer paint jobs you put on your rifle..

Some people actually did it in real life lol..
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I actually blame most of the recent influx of camo paint jobs on COD4, due to the many many customer paint jobs you put on your rifle..

Some people actually did it in real life lol..

Wrong thread?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Gotta be lol
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The ergos on AK's are crap and the AK is not as accurate as an AR.

Agreed.. and that would be the show stopper in a SHTF situation where the user has a limited amount of ammo and needs to be 100% on target..

AKs are reliable but mine shoots a 4 inch group at 100 yards off sand bags with iron sights.. I could hit a man at 150 yards with it..

My Colt AR15 Sporter II has shot man sized groups at 600 yards in Hi-Power competition..
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You shoot an AK or believe in chewbacca?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You shoot an AK or believe in chewbacca?
Diehard AR and
Sasquatch fan
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#33]
*deleted*

ooops, misread the thread title.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Diehard AR and
Sasquatch fan

Lawlz.  You didn't plan that one out.  I'd want something a little heavier than 5.56 for that overgrown hippie.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#35]
"AK fanboys" ARFcom snobbery at its highest.  

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#36]
I like Glock!

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Check out this youtube vid. Here's a seemingly decently trained shooter with I'm sure a new, well maintained AR, and his weapon fails to feed at a critical moment due to the shitty mag locking design.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZvBptVNSOA

Some camo'd out jackass fucking around in the woods with his piece of shit Carbon-15.

You lose Junior.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Wow, we've never done this before.  This is the very first thread I have ever seen on this subject !  
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Diehard AR and
Sasquatch fan

Lawlz.  You didn't plan that one out.  I'd want something a little heavier than 5.56 for that overgrown hippie.
Not all ARs are 5.56
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Check out this youtube vid. Here's a seemingly decently trained shooter with I'm sure a new, well maintained AR, and his weapon fails to feed at a critical moment due to the shitty mag locking design.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZvBptVNSOA

Who else thinks he had Magpul followers in those mags and managed to get a mag body that was slightly out of shape for some reason?  Given the rest of his expensive gear, I'd bet on it.  I have had exactly one follower brand fail to feed - Magpul (Gen 1s and 2s).  I have not tried Gen 3s yet.  If my mags have any dents in them at all, the Magpuls will stick on the dents, and you have to whack the mag like the shooter did in that video to get them free.  Sometimes, even that won't work.  While the green GI followers supposedly can tilt, they have been much more reliable for me in my dented magazines.  The old Magpuls were too fat and had little clearance on either side to accomodate dents in the mag body.

The Magpul industry guy here read my post in a thread about their reliability in the AR magazines forum sometime at the end of last year, and he said if I sent him my address, he'd get some of the Gen 3s he had just received to test in my mags.  He said they were skinnier and should work better.  I sent the info, but I heard nothing back and got no followers to test.  So, I can't speak for the Gen 3s at all.  I assume they are better.

ETA: Yes, they work great in in-spec magazines with no dents in them.  Yes, they last longer than green GI followers in tests.  Yes, they look awesome.  I agree.    I'll just go ahead and head those comments off before they get here.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Tap, Rack, Bang.

Stovepipe: Eject magazine, cant weapon to side, bang, re-insert magazine, rack, fire.

Probably just a shitty mag.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#43]
I would choose a SHTF rifle out of sheer familiarity.  Suggesting to people that they rely on a certain style of firearm without taking into account their own proficiency is both dangerous and irresponsible.

Fight with what you train with, and train when you aren't fighting.  Since most of us here aren't fighting anything other than a pepperoni pizza, the point may be lost as it is.

All weapons have strengths and weaknesses.  Many people feel the strengths of the AR15/M16 weapons platform outweigh its weaknesses.  

Suggesting that people should choose an AK-style weapon for "serious" business, based solely on your reading of tea leaves regarding rock-in magazines, is utterly bogus.

- BG
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee47/SierraBT/akJamMedium.jpg

Wow!  How in the hell did a casing get backwards and shoved up under the dust cover on the left side like that?  Weird.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Nope.  Just an accurate description.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Given the rest of his expensive gear....

Once again, a guy running around the woods with a Carbon-15 in a video title "SOCOM SWAT SF Tactical Training."

THINK ABOUT THIS
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#48]
gaT
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#49]
for long term SHTF use, I think the AK is the better choice

no worries about maintenance, even if you failed to maintain your
AK it will still go bang everytime

simplicity and ruggedness is more important
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't find it a little irrational or delusional to make a claim that an AK never fails to feed, and never has a mag malfunction?  

Having discussion about the respective merits and shortcomings of varoius firearms is fine, and the AK and AR both have their strenghts - but once people start to make claims that basically translate into a magical property of their preferred firearm (in direct contradiction of established evidence to the contrary), I believe the label "fanboy" is appropriate.

I will just as readily apply the "fanboy" label to AR fans, if they spew similar claims of magic about their AR.  

Actually, I'd probably object to using the term "fanboy" to describe anyone.  Just seems too condescending for polite conversation.  I know, it's ARFcom, and GD at that... but still.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top