Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#1]
finished the video, that was very very good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Talk to the police, don't talk to the police...

I personally will stick with 'follow the law'... The only time I'll ever need to talk to the police, is if I'm calling them...

what if it's your ex-wife calling the police? Or your dick neighbor? just sayin.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
So basically a LAWYER is telling other LAWYER-wannabies to never talk to cops without a LAWYER present. And an ex-cop LAWYER-wannabie saying that the LAWYER is right.

Couldn't they find a cop who wasn't a 3-L law student to give the other side? Or are they all at another seminar hearing how they should never talk to lawyers?

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Reinforces what I already know.

Outstanding advice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So basically a LAWYER is telling other LAWYER-wannabies to never talk to cops without a LAWYER present. And an ex-cop LAWYER-wannabie saying that the LAWYER is right.

Couldn't they find a cop who wasn't a 3-L law student to give the other side? Or are they all at another seminar hearing how they should never talk to lawyers?

I didn't hear either of them say to talk to the police with a lawyer. I heard both of them say NEVER talk to the police.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting.  Just reinforces what I already knew.  I had not problem watching it using I.E., but it might be helpful if someone downloaded it to someplace were others could watch it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Good video and advice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
In before DaveA and the Big Brother Brigade.

Bump for shitstorm.

I personally will stick with 'follow the law'... The only time I'll ever need to talk to the police, is if I'm calling them...

You did not watch the video did you?

On a scale of 1 to 10 how surprised would you be to learn that an arfcommer posting their own commentary regarding the video hadn't bothered to watch it?

P.S. I would love a downloadable link of this video so I can distribute it, if possible.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd be curious to hear what they both thought would be the appropriate response to the question, "Do you know how fast you were going?".
They covered it.

So I guess the appropriate answer to that or any other question by the cops is "          ".

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#12]
"Do you know how fast you were going?'

i have no idea how fast i was going, officer...

Citation for inattentive driving.

The video was good, and the LEO was a good interviewer too. If you can get down on your interviewee's level, they will tell you anything.

AND, there is what I always called "The Long Way Around The Barn" interview method. That simply means that I will talk about ANYTHING that my subject wants to talk about until he/she finally gets around to what I had questions about. I have gotten more confessions that way than all the so-called "Cognitive Interview Techniques" that I have studied for over 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Very interesting video. It's pretty much what I've already believed. It brings light again to the thread posted here many times, "If you ever have to use your CCW in self defense what do you do?" How do you make that 911 call without incriminating yourself somehow? How to you take the 5th Ammendment while on the phone with the 911 operator? You can't help but say SOMETHING.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#14]
http://deimos.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/Browse/regent.edu.1531303458.01531303460

ITUNES link.  Will launch itunes, and you can download both parts in tv quality video.

And, as an attorney, I second this advice.  Never talk to the cops.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Excellent.  Thanks for posting.
Basic Rule:  Speak The Fewest Utterances.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Your mouth makes the rope they hang you with. STFU. The end.

20 viewers max? Why not YouTube?

YouTube limits to 10 minutes I think.

This is longer than that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#17]
No go.

Tag.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#18]
More helpful tips I found on-line...
dinday.com/info01.htm
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
finished the video, that was very very good.

+1
Used the iTunes link to get both of them
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#20]
The officer gave only a few examples of the way the Reid Technique is applied by interrogators, but the same simple method is used by every officer on the street everyday. The hardest thing for almost every single person to do is the simplest. Invoke your 5A right and terminate the interview immediately without making a single statement. If arrested, terminate all attempts to interview without making a single statement. Don't pay any attention to the "facts" that the interviewer says he "knows" about the case. Pay no attention to the 6" thick folder on his desk with your name on it (nothing but a case sheet inside and 6" of blank copier papers). Pay no attention to any yelling, desk slapping, buddying up, sharing a sandwich, or any other redneck psychology they attempt. Do not participate in any banter or small talk at all, period.

No matter what statements Police make or what questions they ask, STFU, and recite after me:

I invoke the 5th amendment and wish terminate this interview.
Officer, I invoke the 5th amendment and will not make any statements.
Officer, you can contact my attorney about any matters concerning your charges. I will not comply with any interrogation.
I invoke the 5th amendment and terminate this interview.

Talk to no one but your lawyer. Again, talk to no one about anything, except your lawyer. Do not even discuss your case with your family on the phone or even the guy in handcuffs sitting next to you on the bench (believe it or not, that scumbag in cuffs is really a cop too).

Easy huh? Almost every single person thats convicted in our courts, gave the most damning evidence used against them, themselves. Remember that.

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The guy babbles on annoyingly. He needs to cut back on his caffeine.

LOL true! However his speech is VERY enlightening... worth viewing for ANYone who owns a gun. Or a car, or a home, or...

Is this available in any other format than iTunes? I'd love to have it in a .mov or other Windows format.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome video.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#23]
... Excellent presentation!
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Its not working for me

I dont talk to them just because Im not a fucking lawyer and I dont know of every fucking law. It would be too easy to break a law you didnt even know existed and then confess to it not knowing that it was a crime.
I was also raised being told to never talk to them because they didnt come knocking on your door just to say hi and see how you are doing.

That right there is about 70% of his speech!

Here are some highlights (not all of them by any means):

• "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say MAY BE USED AGAINST YOU!" However, anything you say may NOT be used FOR you... it becomes "Hearsay!"

• You may admit guilt without any good in return. Where's the rush? ANYTHING you say is a CONFESSION!

• If you tell even a small, insignificant lie, ALL your testimony become suspect!

• Anything you say WILL give the LEO SOMEthing they can use to convict!

• The LEO may 'misremember' the interrogation.

• Remember, your lawyer wants to see EVERYTHING the prosecution has against you before you make a statement.

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In before DaveA and the Big Brother Brigade.

Bump for shitstorm.

Obviously didn't watch the video.

Pretty nifty and in plain English that folks can understand. Not any lawyer jibber jabber.

I like how after the lawyer talks about never talking to the police, the cop says "he's absolutely right."

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#26]

I invoke the 5th amendment and wish terminate this interview.
Officer, I invoke the 5th amendment and will not make any statements.
Officer, you can contact my attorney about any matters concerning your charges. I will not comply with any interrogation.
I invoke the 5th amendment and terminate this interview.

Talk to no one but your lawyer. Again, talk to no one about anything, except your lawyer. Do not even discuss your case with your family on the phone or even the guy in handcuffs sitting next to you on the bench (believe it or not, that scumbag in cuffs is really a cop too).

It seems to me that, when the police arrive, you tell them "I have an awful pain in my chest." They MUST get you medical attention AT ONCE. And once the paramedic has stuck something in your arm, you are under medication AND duress, and YOUR STATEMENTS ARE NOT ADMISSIBLE.

Comments?
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#27]
That's pretty messed up that they can use "hearsay" against you but not for you.  It seems like it's geared towards convicting you rather than getting the truth out.  I don't understand that one at all... how the hell did that situation come to be.. or am I misunderstanding this?
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#28]
height=8
Quoted:

It seems to me that, when the police arrive, you tell them "I have an awful pain in my chest." They MUST get you medical attention AT ONCE. And once the paramedic has stuck something in your arm, you are under medication AND duress, and YOUR STATEMENTS ARE NOT ADMISSIBLE.

Comments?

No.  Lots of confessions happen in a setting like you've described.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Just downloading the first one on Itunes there is Part 1 and Part 2. Who knows anything about Part 2? Its another 20 minute video

ADD: It must be broken down in two parts for Itunes because the first vid is just the lawyer and then the 2nd must be the cop.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I watched the whole thing and I thank you for the post.  That's advice everyone should heed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Just downloading the first one on Itunes there is Part 1 and Part 2. Who knows anything about Part 2? Its another 20 minute video

It is a different speaker. He is a police officer with a lot of experience agreeing with the first speaker. However, the officer is going to school to be a lawyer, so take that as you will. All in all very good advice though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#32]
What was the correct answer to the "do you know how fast you were going" question?

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
What was the correct answer to the "do you know how fast you were going" question?

Don't admit that you were speeding, even a little.  He never really said what the "Right" answer was.  I don't think there is a right answer.  If you get pulled over, you've been clocked.  Anything said other than an admission of guilt is a lie.  I've never tried just just shutting up.  

Maybe the proper response is "How fast do you think I was going officer?"
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

So what would a cops reaction be if he pulls you over for speeding, tries to make small talk, and you just sit there and stare at him?

Seems like it would piss him off to the point that you'd get a massive ticket for everything he could find. You'd get your car sniffed by a dog, etc.

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#36]
If I close my eyes and just listen to the lawyer, at times he remnds me of Jackie Mason when he gets rapid fire verbally.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Subscribed for later.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So what would a cops reaction be if he pulls you over for speeding, tries to make small talk, and you just sit there and stare at him?

Seems like it would piss him off to the point that you'd get a massive ticket for everything he could find. You'd get your car sniffed by a dog, etc.

Yep.

You're either going to get a ticket or not.

Lawyering up when asked "Do you know how fast you were going" is an invitation for more "probing" tactics.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Good advice.  But nothing new.  I don't ever answer questions.  They are intended to elicit some sort of confession, and I won't play that game.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'd be curious to hear what they both thought would be the appropriate response to the question, "Do you know how fast you were going?".

"Yes."

Why some of you folks feel obligated to provide a numeric answer to that question is beyond me.    
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Good advice.  But nothing new.  I don't ever answer questions.  They are intended to elicit some sort of confession, and I won't play that game.

Exactly how many times have you been questioned by the police anyway?

I've had exactly 3 unsoliticited police contacts.  2 were traffic stops (did DUI tests both times and rightfully so, although I wasn't drunk I don't fault either cop for it).  The third time was when some neighbor called complaining that I left my trash can on the curb 7 days a week.  No big deal there either.

A couple of years ago, I was out running and some little bastard shot at me with a pellet gun.  I ran him down, put him on the ground, and walked him up to his parents' house.  No one was home, so I left him and went back home.  I had a sinking feeling he probably called the cops, so I went back to the kid's house.  When I got there, the cop was filling out an "attempted abduction report."  I told the cop my side of the story, and he said that made more sense than what the kid said.  The cop asked if I was interested in pressing charges, and I said that I wasn't.  I just wanted to make sure the kid's parents took care of the problem.  The cop relayed this message to the parents, as well as the potential problems of pointing a realistic looking toy gun at someone who CCW's.  I never heard a word about the matter.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Yes."

And how fast was that?

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Yes."

And how fast was that?

Exactly. They'll keep prying at at some point you either admit or sit silent and risk getting the camera up the asshole treatment.

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Yes."

And how fast was that?
Exactly. They'll keep prying at at some point you either admit or sit silent and risk getting the camera up the asshole treatment.

My stock answers:

"I thought I was pretty close to the speed limit."

or...

"Well I was keeping up with the flow of traffic."

or the ever popular...

"At a reasonable and prudent speed, officer."

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag for when there's less than 20 people trying to watch it.

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly how many times have you been questioned by the police anyway?

I've had exactly 3 unsoliticited police contacts.  2 were traffic stops (did DUI tests both times and rightfully so, although I wasn't drunk I don't fault either cop for it).  The third time was when some neighbor called complaining that I left my trash can on the curb 7 days a week.  No big deal there either.

A couple of years ago, I was out running and some little bastard shot at me with a pellet gun.  I ran him down, put him on the ground, and walked him up to his parents' house.  No one was home, so I left him and went back home.  I had a sinking feeling he probably called the cops, so I went back to the kid's house.  When I got there, the cop was filling out an "attempted abduction report."  I told the cop my side of the story, and he said that made more sense than what the kid said.  The cop asked if I was interested in pressing charges, and I said that I wasn't.  I just wanted to make sure the kid's parents took care of the problem.  The cop relayed this message to the parents, as well as the potential problems of pointing a realistic looking toy gun at someone who CCW's.  I never heard a word about the matter.

Yeah,

I talked my way out of a pretty bad situation with a cop once - if I had lawyered-up I'd be in a world of shit. But I was able to talk my way out of it and even got the cop flustered in his questioning of me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#48]
tag/subscribe/whatever
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Yes."

And how fast was that?

My stock answers:

"I thought I was pretty close to the speed limit."

or...

"Well I was keeping up with the flow of traffic."

or the ever popular...

"At a reasonable and prudent speed, officer."

I usually say "I would have pulled me over to." or "I was driving like an asshole and should be pulled over."

It takes the cop of guard and makes him laugh and there is nothing illegal about driving like an asshole or is there any admission of guilt with those two statements and they usually are true.

Then its up to the LEO to cite you or let you go. I have not got a speeding ticket since 94 and drive like a "asshole" 24/7.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm pleased to see that a few people found the video interesting and worthwhile.

I am a FFL and it makes me wonder how best to handle my next BATF audit. I think the description audit is very misleading where the BATF s concerned. It is an investigation no matter what you call it.

TD
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top