Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You will find that unisom can be a good friend.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

WTF is with your GF? Does she realize what shift you're working?

Sounds pretty selfish and childish from my perspective.

This

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Man I feel your pain.  I worked 15+ yrs 10:00pm-6:30am.  It fucking sucks.  I have been off work for 2+yrs (injured) an my sleep is still fucked up.  I cant sleep at night.  I felt like a vampire, everbody else in the house had a "normal" schedule an I would feel like an asshat when people came over and I was sleeping.  

I just learned to sleep 2 hrs here, and 2 hrs over there and so on.  Good Luck

I know what that's like. It took me over a year to really relearn how to sleep after leaving UPS. I literally couldn't sleep more than a few hours at a time. My body and brain didn't know how to anymore.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell your girlfriend and her sister they can drive themselves.

Why the hell are you driving them around?

They're both 17(twins), they won't be getting their license until November(over populated school, couldn't get into drivers ed). I can't blame them for not wanting to drive. I can't get insurance to cover them until they get a license, and no license+no insurance is an $1100 ticket.
You're putting yourself through hell to get a place for your 17 year old selfish girlfriend?

Good luck with that.

I think I found your picture...

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need to stop being a mangina and kick your gf to the curb...tell her to get her own breakfast lunch and dinner and find her own ride to work....

this.
if she can not respect your work/sleep hours, then you need to sit her down and explain you need sleep, or she will be gone when you finally snap

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
So, lemme get this straight.

You're 19.  Your girlfriend is 17.  You (presumably) talk to her about wanting to get your own place––the wisdom of which I won't touch upon.  In order to do so, you discuss needing to take a night job.  IN THE MEANTIME......she decides to get pissy and whiney about you sleeping, keep you from doing so, and then basically grab you by the balls and tell you to drive her around places during the time you should be fucking asleep, and whines at you when you're "out of it"?  And then the sister for some reason has you drive her around, instead of letting you sleep?

Re-examine your priority set, get your fucking head on straight, and join the Martin-Baker club.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]
When she tells you she's on the pill.......
She ain't.

Seriously, be careful or you'll end up with a mom, wife, a child, a bitchy sister-in-law and you'll still be working nights.

I wish you the best.  19 is way to early to have to grow up quick.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, lemme get this straight.

You're 19.  Your girlfriend is 17.  You (presumably) talk to her about wanting to get your own place––the wisdom of which I won't touch upon.  In order to do so, you discuss needing to take a night job.  IN THE MEANTIME......she decides to get pissy and whiney about you sleeping, keep you from doing so, and then basically grab you by the balls and tell you to drive her around places during the time you should be fucking asleep, and whines at you when you're "out of it"?  And then the sister for some reason has you drive her around, instead of letting you sleep?

Re-examine your priority set, get your fucking head on straight, and join the Martin-Baker club.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/images/eject.jpg

THIS.
Holy shit man! You will regret this path in a few years, you must trust us.

AND DO NOT GET HER PREGNANT.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I dated someone like that, almost exact same situation, everything, only she was older than me. Wound up catching her cheating on me after we'd been dating, all kinds of drama, then she married the guy she was cheating on me, pooped out a kid, and fucked him over too.

You'll regret this path immensely.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sleep with a fan on. It really cancels out some noise, The constant hum will make you sleep like a Baby.

Your GF needs to start taking care of herself, And needs to show respect that you are working some tough hours.

Yeah, use some white noise to drown out the rest....

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#11]

"Let me ask ya something - Why can't I sleep?"
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Get rid of the gf, and tell your grandparents you're sorry if you seemed rude and that it may take a while for you to adjust to your new shift and that you are also sorry for any mild rude moments that may happen in the future.  They'll try to be more aware of you and your sleep and will be a lot less likely to mind if you ever do slip up and are a little rude.  Also, melatonin.  But be careful with it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Look, cyrus, I really feel sorry for you. You're in a shitty situation.

She's not helping, and is unlikely to suddenly begin helping.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#14]
why doesnt you girlfriend and her sister have a job?
as far as transportation for them, there is the bus system, a bicycle, or other family members who DO NOT WORK NIGHTS
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I understand that relationships are a tough thing and everyone has their own opinions on what works. Although, from what I have read I have to agree with those previous posters who stated that you need to get things back in order. You are not a servant and need to cease immediately. It will probably never change if you don't put your foot down and then it still may not.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Your grandparents are picking up the slack for you and leaving their own house –– so you can sleep because your girlfriend is pulling you around on a leash?

Fail.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Screw your GF when you get home, it will help you sleep. Other than that, a 17 yr old is not going to give a shit about your problems. She probably thinks the whole idea of you working nights is "dumb" and is trying to sabotage you.  17 year olds think like that.

Have you tried screwing her sister? That always helps a young relationship.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ummm....these 17 year olds...

Do they have parents that still exist?  Serious question...not a slam.

Parents are likely "Mean, alchoholic abusive assholes" (aren't they always") because they wouldn't allow their highschool age daughter to drink and have sex in their house with her boyfriend.
Just a guess.
OP, marry her before someone else does!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Mancard.  Go find one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I finally found a job, it's not great but it's money in the pocket. I'm a night stocker at Safeway. I work 10PM-7AM, which means my sleep schedule is going to be fucked up for the next couple days-weeks while I get used to it. I have to work again tonight at 10:30

Last night was my first day, and I didn't get off till 7:30am, it's a half hour drive home, plus I had to pick up breakfast for the girlfriend. I get to her house 8:30, don't fall asleep till 930 10am. She wakes me up in a fuss at 11:30 saying she has to get to work. She's bitching at me for being half asleep while I'm driving, come to find out she doesn't even have to be at work till 12:30, and she knew about it.

Then I'm elected to take her brister shopping. Long story short I don't get back to sleep until 2PM. Have to wake up again at 4PM to go to girlfriends lunch, Leave her at 4:45pm head back to my grand parent's house.

Now I'm "to tired to fall asleep", lay in bed until 5:30, my grandparents come home. I sleep in their basement, and the upstairs floors squeak really bad. They're making themselves dinner  so they're moving around a lot, the kitchen is also right over where I sleep. So I just say "fuck it, I'll have to rely on 5 hour energy shots and coffee to stay awake tonight". I turn on the lights and start looking for some ear plugs that I vaguely remember having somewhere.  

They call down and ask if they woke me up, I lie to them and say no. They ask me if I want them to leave and I say no again. They don't listen to me and wrap up their dinner(not  ready all the way) and take off. So Now I feel like a major ass hat who just kicked his grandparents out of their own home.

Sorry for the incoherent micro rant. I'm tired frustrated and guilty

I'm going to take advantage of my grandparn'ts generosity now.

There's you biggest problem.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mancard.  Go find one.

It's in his GF's purse.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Ambien
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I had a morning shift that started at 4am and I had to be in the parking area by 3:30 to take a bus to my post. So basically I was getting up at 2 am.

I had to set some rules, basically, I will be sleeping for 6 hours between X:00 and Y:00, you will not fuck with me unless the house is on fire.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I have found that the closer I am to brain damage from sleep depravation, the more things conspire against me to keep me awake.  Itll drive you insane if you let it.  Now days when i reach that point, i lock all the doors, park my car somewhere else, turn off the phone, and go to sleep.  Its easier to just say im sorry later.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I finally found a job, it's not great but it's money in the pocket. I'm a night stocker at Safeway. I work 10PM-7AM, which means my sleep schedule is going to be fucked up for the next couple days-weeks while I get used to it. I have to work again tonight at 10:30

Last night was my first day, and I didn't get off till 7:30am, it's a half hour drive home, plus I had to pick up breakfast for the girlfriend. I get to her house 8:30, don't fall asleep till 930 10am. She wakes me up in a fuss at 11:30 saying she has to get to work. She's bitching at me for being half asleep while I'm driving, come to find out she doesn't even have to be at work till 12:30, and she knew about it.

Then I'm elected to take her brister shopping. Long story short I don't get back to sleep until 2PM. Have to wake up again at 4PM to go to girlfriends lunch, Leave her at 4:45pm head back to my grand parent's house.

Now I'm "to tired to fall asleep", lay in bed until 5:30, my grandparents come home. I sleep in their basement, and the upstairs floors squeak really bad. They're making themselves dinner  so they're moving around a lot, the kitchen is also right over where I sleep. So I just say "fuck it, I'll have to rely on 5 hour energy shots and coffee to stay awake tonight". I turn on the lights and start looking for some ear plugs that I vaguely remember having somewhere.  

They call down and ask if they woke me up, I lie to them and say no. They ask me if I want them to leave and I say no again. They don't listen to me and wrap up their dinner(not  ready all the way) and take off. So Now I feel like a major ass hat who just kicked his grandparents out of their own home.

What I took away from that is that your GF is a spoiled, pampered b*tch.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I worked either night shift or mids the first 3 years I was in the Navy.

I could always count on:

MS's (shitheads who ran the barracks) coming in to do a health and welfare inspection at 0900, the squadron duty officer coming in between 1200-1500 to do room inspection, the common area maids banging on the doors with vacuum cleaners or wiping down the walls, shithead room mates who worked days coming in at noon for lunch and coming home from work at 1630, getting called into work to explain what happened during the shift (as if the page and a half pass down didn't cover it).

Payback was a bitch though.

Plus the motherfuckers were of the opinion that your day sleeper chit meant OTHER people shouldn't wake you, and that since they worked days, tough shit for you. Making E4 and moving off base was possible the brightest day of my time in so far.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
why doesnt you girlfriend and her sister have a job?
as far as transportation for them, there is the bus system, a bicycle, or other family members who DO NOT WORK NIGHTS

The gf does have a job, it's only part time, but that's because of her age. She supported my ass after I got laid off and was out of work for 5 months

The sister doesn't normally bother me. She rarely ever asks for anything. I was just bitching about it. Idk why she doesn't have a real job. She's not applying herself.

Today went over much better. I got woke up a half hour early but they didn't keep me up when I tried to go to sleep. I got 4 hours of sleep this morning and I'll get another 2-4 later this afternoon. I know it would probably be better if I slept the straight 6-8 hours but this works out a bit better for me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I work mostly 12 or 16 hr nights, here is the thing. You need to make your GF understand that you work while she is sleeping and you dont bother her while she is sleeping so she dosen't bother you while you are sleeping. Unplug the phone. Find you a room away from where everybody hangs out if they are home during the day, if possible and make that fucker as dark as you can (foil on the windows work great). I get home at 0800 and get straight in bed, sleep to 12 or so if I quick turn around I'm up till 0800 the next day but if not I try to catch a hour or two nap before I leave to go in. I take Sonota to help me sleep it dosent last long and you can get quality sleep in a short time. Good luck nights suck but you will get used to it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#31]
People just don't get it. It sucks, but it is what it is. Just because you work night shift, doesn't mean they care. They want you to be up when they are up. So normal hours they are up, you should be up too. That is "normal" hours to be up, so get up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Lighten up OP.It'll take about a week for you and others to adjust to your new work and sleep schedule.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Turn of phone
Buy black out shades
Pull gun on next person
Then say sorry i was sleeping since I work all night
Hope I don't shoot you next time

One hole in the wall will end a lot of this

I did shift work for years
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#34]
There have been tons of threads on here about night shifts...you must do everything to ensure that you have a dark, quiet place to sleep, no phones, respect from others regarding your sleep etc...the ONLY way to survive the hell that is overnight work is to SLEEP.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top