Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Now that you mention it, my kids have never seen Speedy Gonzalas....  They know Bugs & the Road Runner but Speedy is not seen on TV anymore.

No!
Get Out!
Seriously?

As far as Song of the South, I saw it in the 80's too.
I don't really remember much about it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.jeengles.com/Song+of+the+South.html

www.chromo11.com/images/LHS%20202x270%20images/Interview%20LHS/song-of-the-south.jpg

Is that a copyright sting operation or is it good to go?

Jim

no idea just found it on the web,
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Disney has made a business decision not to release the film to avoid the inevitable boycotts and having to pay off Rainbow -Push types

Which is a damn shame because the Rainbow-Push people could use it as a tool to show progress. See....it used to be this way but it's not anymore. Never happen now...........just show me my money.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#4]
You know the Star (whomever it was that played Uncle Remus, name escapes me) was the first Black Actor ever fully employed by Disney.

And the poor guy wasn't even allowed to attend the Grand Opening

You'd think the very first Disney movie with a black star in it would be a great thing to release, but nooooooo
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Pre ban cartoons,who would have thought....
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:54:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I remember seeing "Song of the South" in the movie theater's.

You are old.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
My, oh my what a wonderful day!
Plenty of sunshine heading my way

Mister Bluebird on my shoulder
It's the truth, it's actch'll
Ev'rything is satisfactch'll
Wonderful feeling, wonderful day!

I still catch myself humming that tune every now and then.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Same reason we don't see Amos & Andy reruns.

www.amosandy.com/images/i-aacast.jpg

Eric The(AlgonquinJ.Calhoun)Hun

The black channel in my neighborhood used to play Amos & Andy reruns. Go figure....

M4-AK
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#9]
'If'n all dese heah stories wuz 'bout nuttin' but laffin' and grinnin' dey woulda stopped long ago.' ~ Uncle Remus to the Young Boy

Had Joel Chandler Harris not written of the black folklore of those days....they would likely have been forgotten.

Mark Twain asked Harris to meet him in New Orleans to begin a tour of the US together with readings from his works, but the stammering Harris, a very private man who could not even read his works to his own children, declined.

Twain began the tour without Harris and recalled that the most enthusiatic responses he got from his audiences was when he launched into reading Bre'r Rabbit and the Tar Baby.

Was it racist literature?

Judged from this distance, it appears to some, as that way.

But not to me.

Amazingly, the 'Young Boy' who learned about life at the knee of Old Uncle Remus, when later married, sent his own son to be taught by the kind old gentleman of color.

Yep. Blatant racism.

Eric The(OldTimesThereHereAreNotForgotten)Hun
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Had Joel Chandler Harris not written of the black folklore of those days....they would likely have been forgotten.

Eric The(OldTimesThereHereAreNotForgotten)Hun

Good point. As a group, they were still pretty illiterate, and probably wouldn't have recorded anything. Sure, the stories would have gone a generation or three by word of mouth, but eventually that would fall by the wayside.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Disney should release the DVD and give a percentage of the profits to the United Negro college fund.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Disney should release the DVD and give a percentage of the profits to the United Negro college fund.

Or not.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Song of the South was the first film my mother-in-law ever saw at a theater. She (and all of her children and grandchildren) tried to find the original copy on VHS or DVD for tears. My oldest son, now 33, got a copy of that crappy reproduction about three years before she died at 72, quite unexpectedly. One reason, along with the 'gay celebration' that I don't have much time for Mickey, Minnie or Isner anymore.
They're just like a lot of big business; TOO DAMNED POLITICALLY CORRECT.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#14]
IIRC, the staff of the Straight Dope (column and website) asked Disney about why Song of the South is the only film not available in the US for purchase. The official response was something along the lines of that the film contained heavily "ethnic themes" which were not deemed suitable for general audiences any more, but that college film departments could get copies of it on loan.
~
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#15]
i saw it in the 80s too with my grandpa
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I checked on Netflix and found this:
Song of the South
I'll add it to the top of my list and tell you what I figure out and if it can be pirated umm....nevermind
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I ordered it from Jeengles, so we'll see what  (or who) arrives.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I just found out that my mom has the "Song of the South" LP with the picture book and everything. Sorry guys, its not for sale
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#19]
You can get a dvd copy of Song of the South or any of the so called "racist" cartoons at any film festival or sci-fi/ horror convention.

Its a shame that the PC communists have even took to destroying our cartoon history:(
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Look up

Bhudda Video Co LTD
4F, No. 72, Sec.3 Min Sheng E. RD.
Taipei, Taiwan    R.O.C.

Tel: 886-2-2571337

Fax: 886-2-25427575

My Dad picked up a copy in Taipei, when he was sent there for work, and from the coding the bottom of it appears to be reigon 1 encoded which is what you need for USA DVD players.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

And the poor guy wasn't even allowed to attend the Grand Opening

According to Snoops he was allowed, but couldn't get a room.

It seems that Walt Disney (the man) would be loved and needed here on arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I hate the fucking racist liberals that want to keep Speedy Gonzales hidden.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
song of the south?

It's  a typically great Disney animation, probably from the thirties or forties. As has been pointed out by others, it isn't at all "PC".
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now that you mention it, my kids have never seen Speedy Gonzalas....  They know Bugs & the Road Runner but Speedy is not seen on TV anymore.

The fastest mouse in all MeheeCoo!! Arriba Arriba!!

Undalay, undalay.

Best I could do.

Andale! Andale!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
song of the south?

Probably my favorite movie as a child.
Uncle Remus
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
Tar Baby
Please don't throw me in the brier patch
Braer Rabbit
Braer Fox

Oh how I wish I had a copy of that on DVD!

Sad thing is it is not "PC"
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I hate the fucking racist liberals that want to keep Speedy Gonzales hidden.

who is extremly popular in mexico.

I think its avalible legitmaly in europe. (song of the south that is)
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#27]
torrent site version is jap sub-title
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Or the Frito Bandito
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Twain began the tour without Harris and recalled that the most enthusiatic responses he got from his audiences was when he launched into reading Bre'r Rabbit and the Tar Baby.

Was it racist literature?

Judged from this distance, it appears to some, as that way.

But not to me

Yeah, I'd like to have somebody explain how the Br'er Rabbit stories are "racist", considering it's based in West African folklore, brought here, and then kept alive and changed by black slave communities. Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Baby comes from an old story out of West Africa involving the trickster god Anansi (Mr. Nancy for my fellow American Gods fans).

Anyway, I've never even seen the damn film. I mean, I can't imagine that it portrays blacks any worse than any other film of the time period. Hell, "Gone with the Wind" is a friggin' movie classic and it has the stereotypical "Mammy" character.  

*shrug*

You can't even really discuss this movie properly, because so few today have seen the damn thing.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top