User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
the hell happened?

one of my sisters friends kid didn't even know you could drink water out of a tap!

water faucets at schools closed down because of possible ecoli.

drinking out of a water hose gives you cancer or other diseases.

For the same reason they watch pay/satellite TV rather than free/broadcast TV, drink  single serve juice boxes rather than mix-your-own cool-aid,  walk around with $100 cell phones on $30/month contracts, and buy music off the internet instead of taping it on cassettes off the radio.   Ditto on using a shelf of tween male beauty products rather than a bar of soap, $50 brand name trainers they'll outgrow in 6 months rather than $10 canvas skippies, drive/wreck $10k cars bought by mom/dad rather than $200 beaters they purchase themselves, get bussed 2 miles to school rather than walk, have $20 style jobs every 5 weeks rather than $5 buzz cuts every 2 months,  and eat McDonalds or takeout pizza every other night rather than cold bologna.

Because the market for treasuries hasn't collapsed.    Yet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/beefcake/sterlinghayden30.jpg

Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, ice cream? Ice cream, Mandrake? Children's ice cream!...You know when fluoridation began?...1946. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual, and certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works. I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love...Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I-I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence.

wtf

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Live in the rural with a flowing well and good clean water..the town I think has two pumps for water and two faucets,one titled smooth and the other chunky
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Every one is so scared of everything now,  when i was younger nothing was better than drinking out of the hose in the middle of the summer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Even though we all did this as kids, drinking from a garden hose is really not safe, especially if you have animals around the yard (fecal matter contamination).

Drinking from the kitchen sink or bathroom tap = fine, although not always tasty.

Leaving a garden hose connected and laying on the ground is actually a hazard... it creates the potential for cross contamination if there is ever a negative-pressure in the water system... essentially, if there are animal feces, or other chemicals in the lawn, and there is a watermain break severe enough to eliminate all positive pressure in the system, that fecal matter or those chemicals can actually be sucked into the water system through that hose... when pressure is restored, it gets pumped back through the system to all of the consumers.  Mmm, tasty!

Also, "City water" is typically better for you than well because it is strictly monitored (we test ours monthly searching for Coliform, which is an "indicator" bacteria that lets us know if there may be something more dangerous in the water) and because it is flouridated, which helps strengthen your teeth.  It has been proven that people who drink treated water have fewer cavities than those who drink well water.  Our entire water table in my area has a significantly elevated level of arsenic...

<–– Water / Sewer Laborer, and Michigan DEQ S3 Certified Operator.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]

+ + = Profit
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
depending what part of the city you live in tapwater can taste fine or taste like it was pumped right out of someones pool. I only drink bottled water or water from a brita etc pitcher.

+1.  Water tastes great in my house, but I've been to friends houses and almost choked on the sewage coming out of their tap.

This, I rock the Brita filter for my Dallas tap water.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Water?  You mean like from out of the toilet?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tap water is regulated by the EPA. Bottled water is regulated by the FDA. While both have similar published standards for contaminants and safety, only the EPA has a worthwhile way to ensure compliance.

If you think your tap water is unsafe, there are many at home testing kits available. They are inexpensive and the peace of mind they offer is worth more then the cost. If your tap water violates EPA standards, contact the EPA and they will investigate. If your bottled water is unsafe, you're pretty much shit out of luck. Recalls of bottled water are rare and never publicized, but it absolutely  happens. This is no guarantee with bottled water (it's often just bottled tap water!).

Tap water may smell funny, but in the US it is rarely actually dangerous. Filters can remove any unpleasant taste and are orders of magnitude cheaper then bottled water.

There is one (1) person at the FDA who monitors bottled water, and that's not his only role.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#11]
all 5 of mine do drink tap water

they would get awfully damn thirsty if they didn't
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't drink the tap at home. Its pretty nasty. I remember when we had our pool put in and brought our tap water sample down to the pool store the lady said "You have way too much chlorine in your pool". Look on her face when she was told it was the tap water was . When I turn on the tap you can smell the chlorine. Currently our pool has less than the tap water. Still tastes fine in coffee or hot chocolate and for cooking, but drinking it alone is not so great.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My tap water tastes like Rosie O'Donnell lives in my well.

PUR for me thanks.

This. Here it tastes like pool water. It's fucking gross.

Now the tap water in Trinidad, Colorado I can't get enough of that stuff.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Mine do.

And no soft drinks. If they drink anything but water its 50% fruit juice and 50% water.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even though we all did this as kids, drinking from a garden hose is really not safe, especially if you have animals around the yard (fecal matter contamination).

Drinking from the kitchen sink or bathroom tap = fine, although not always tasty.

Leaving a garden hose connected and laying on the ground is actually a hazard... it creates the potential for cross contamination if there is ever a negative-pressure in the water system... essentially, if there are animal feces, or other chemicals in the lawn, and there is a watermain break severe enough to eliminate all positive pressure in the system, that fecal matter or those chemicals can actually be sucked into the water system through that hose... when pressure is restored, it gets pumped back through the system to all of the consumers.  Mmm, tasty!

Also, "City water" is typically better for you than well because it is strictly monitored (we test ours monthly searching for Coliform, which is an "indicator" bacteria that lets us know if there may be something more dangerous in the water) and because it is flouridated, which helps strengthen your teeth.  It has been proven that people who drink treated water have fewer cavities than those who drink well water.  Our entire water table in my area has a significantly elevated level of arsenic...

how can water from a hose get sucked in a closed faucet?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I buy/drink bottled water out of necessity. Our town constantly has "boil water notices" so I figure it is cheaper to have a few hundred bottles of water to drink out of on hand, and a few hundred more put away in a dark room for emergencies. But at $2.50-$3.00/24bottles of off-brand bottles (we drink approximately 3 dollars worth a week), I find it entirely worth it.

I will however refill them when we have been out of a notice for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Leaving a garden hose connected and laying on the ground is actually a hazard... it creates the potential for cross contamination if there is ever a negative-pressure in the water system... essentially, if there are animal feces, or other chemicals in the lawn, and there is a watermain break severe enough to eliminate all positive pressure in the system, that fecal matter or those chemicals can actually be sucked into the water system through that hose... when pressure is restored, it gets pumped back through the system to all of the consumers. Mmm, tasty!

Also, "City water" is typically better for you than well because it is strictly monitored (we test ours monthly searching for Coliform, which is an "indicator" bacteria that lets us know if there may be something more dangerous in the water) and because it is flouridated, which helps strengthen your teeth. It has been proven that people who drink treated water have fewer cavities than those who drink well water. Our entire water table in my area has a significantly elevated level of arsenic...

how can water from a hose get sucked in a closed faucet?

It can't, the ball/gate valve on your faucet would have to be open. Not saying it's likely, just saying it's possible. We issue back flow preventers for our residents that attach to the faucet before the hose so the possiblity doesn't even exist, but it's not a likely chance... HOWEVER... it is VERY likely with in ground sprinkler systems IF their BFP malfunctions, or if one isn't installed.

You actually have back flow preventers all throughout your home... your toilet and sinks all use an "Air Gap", which simply means there is a gap between the faucet and the drain that prevents any negative pressure from contaminating the system... the distance the water has to travel to maintain a safe air gap must be twice the diameter of the source pipe (2*D)

The amount of stupid shit we have to know to pass these tests is ridiculous... it's kinda like High School... I learned it all, but apparently the only time I'm ever going to use it is on ARFCOM.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
depending what part of the city you live in tapwater can taste fine or taste like it was pumped right out of someones pool. I only drink bottled water or water from a brita etc pitcher.

Tucson does have some shitty, hard water.  I would buy RO water and add salts when I was brewing there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Tap water isn't the same across the country. Here in Florida it tastes TERRIBLE because of how poor our water quality is. If you go to a place like upstate new york it's down right delicious because the water quality is naturally better. Then there are places here in the US where it is not safe to drink the tap water because so many pesticides have been used to grow crops.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top