Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree the "Prince of Darkness" is doomed. However, the Republicans have not offered a good candidate for years. Pete "Empty Suit" Wilson was the best they had for a while, but this last guy, Lundberg I think, didn't have a chance in hell. If I understand it correctly, the party has a system based on seniority, not on qualifications or mass appeal. As long as this system is in effect, the Republicans will probably offer another joker next election and the demos will triumph yet again.

The dems have a stronghold. Republicans are viewed with disdain by virtually everyone in the major metropolitan areas. They need a makeover and I don't see any signs they're making progress. Women, blacks, poor Hispanics -- they're all voting demo. Whitey, having the most to lose if immigration continues on its current course, is also voting demo because it makes them feel good inside. And, of course, CA is a union state, always has been, and we know whose side the unions are on.

Historically, Republicans have been the party of whitey. Whitey's numbers are dwindling quickly in CA and as long as this trend continues, it's a lost cause. Mexican-American democrat candidates are taking over assembly seats quickly and of course, these people are pro-immigration. It's true the pendulum swings both ways, but I don't picture it swinging back even to center. The Republicans have lost their voter base.

I have my evil weapons so I'm not worried about myself. It's the next generation who's screwed. Things will only get worse.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, SoCal is a nice place. You just have to know the right areas. I lived there for 19 years and another 20 up here in the Bay Area. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you're a professional, engineer, lawyer, doctor, researcher, etc., SoCal has more career opportunities than probably any area in the US. Personally, I wouldn't live in LA proper, but some of the coastal areas in Orange County are really great. Newport, Laguna, Irvine, San Clemente, Dana Point, etc., are all nice areas. Up north a little you have Ventura, Westlake Village, and all that. Like any place else, the desirable areas are expensive. It just happens that in CA, they’re very expensive. If you have a household income in the $150k range, you can live okay.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea Kali sucks!

However I was born and raised here in and around the Navy bases at Long Beach and Treasure Island.

Yes I am a Navy brat, Dad gave 23 1/2 years of his life to the military. I am not leaving, I'm staying to fight the good fight.

I will not give up my home because of politicians and mis-guided citizens of this state. I will stay and speak my mind. I will vote and influence as many people as I can, I take newcommers to the shooting sport to the gun range to show them the crap they see on TV is "crap".

I promote the NRA. I support the U.S. Military. I will not give up! This is my home! It is not perfect, but it is a battle worth fighting for.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#4]
treasure island? i think you mean terminal island

ive been to a lot of places in this country and some places are nice and some just sucked @ss, and the weather sucked also, it was either hot or cold, dont have to mention overly boring also, i didnt see the attraction of living there

but then as a visitor you see what you want to see, and whats on the surface, and dont usually take the time to understand the place or cultural and see the nice nooks and crannies of the area
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:19:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Treasure Island's in the SF bay. My dad was there for a while before they shipped him out to Pearl and eventually Samoa, the Soloman Islands, and Iwo Jima in WWII.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Frankly, honestly, I get decent pay here...  But I also do consulting on the side, and I'd take a significant hit in my income in order to relocate.  My wife also works, so that's another financial hurdle.  We would both have to find decent paying jobs in a new location, and I'd have to start financially over again.  

Is it workable?  I dunno...  I've been trying to get her to agree to move for years.  If it were not for my wifes protesting, I'd have moved a couple years ago.  

So I stay, and I fight the good fight.  I wish every day that I had more people fighting with me, but it's not happening.  The only comfort (and it's not truly a comfort), is the knowledge that everywhere else I might move, has anti-gunners as well, and I'd be in the same tight spot in another 10 years.

Watch California carefully.  Take part, and give to the NRA, and the GOA, and express that you want them to stop what's happening in California.  Why?  Because what is happening here... is your future where you are at.  The 1994 Federal gun bill is almost identical to the 1989 Robert Roos bill.  In 5 years or so, you may be registering your AR, defined as any gun with a pistol grip, flash suppressor, etc, etc...
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:43:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:10:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyplace that doesn't allow smoking in a bar, has got to suck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#9]
it amazes me that anyone would want to live there. of course the rolling blackouts are a definite plus FOR living there
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#10]
A lot of the problems that have been addressed, too many minorities, immigrants, pollution, gun laws, democrats, are not unique of California but rather of large cities which unfortunately California has a lot of.  You look at other large cities, New York, Chicago, they are experiencing the same problems.  As the population increases more and more states will start to have the same growing pains as California. 2nd addmenment rights are going down the tubes in California at an accelerated pace in part to the massive influx of people.  Other states are sure to follow which is why it would be nice to get support from some of you rather than the lets jump on the bandwagon and rip on California.  It gets kind of old.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top