Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I've generally found short guys to have a big cocky attitude.  As if they are trying to make a point about everything, to make up for their lack of height?  I'm only 5'7, so guys shorter than I seem like kids.  Sorry!  It's just one girls opinion!  I love baldness though!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#2]
All through high school (3 yrs) I dated the same guy.  When we started dating my freshman year, I was 5'6" and he was 5'5.5".  We grew at more or less the same rate until my senior year, constantly switching off who was the taller by .25"-.5" until I graduated at 5'7.5" -- he was 5'8".

I'm still 5'7.5", and the man I married is 5'11".  I think that's perfect.  We're not totally disproportionate, but I don't tower over him with heels on, either.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#3]
IMHO...

I've always believed that women seek men that are taller then they are in order to perpetuate
a consistatly taller species.

In general, the average height of the American male has increased by about one inch every 50 years.

I've also heard that women seek a man that resembles their father (if they "worshipped" their
"daddy" like most normal girls do when growning up)

Some traits that are sought out either consciencely or unconsciencely are:

Phyical:

Height

Hand size

Personality:

Ability to "fix" things

Generousity

Etc. etc.

Women, am I correct on this, or is this stuff "just in my head"???

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IMHO...

I've always believed that women seek men that are taller then they are in order to perpetuate

In general, the average height of the American male has increased by about one inch every 50 years.

I've also heard that women seek a man that resembles their father (if they "worshipped" their

Phyical:

Height

Hand size

Personality:

Ability to "fix" things

Generousity

Etc. etc.

To some extent, that stuff is true for a lot of women, but not all.  I was a Daddy's girl 100%, but my husband looks nothing like my dad.  Dad was 6'4", hubby is 5'10".  Dad was blonde with blue eyes, hubby has dark hair and eyes.  Dad had a large frame, hubby has a medium/small frame.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#5]
ignorant question: What's with hand size?  Why does it matter, what is it supposed to mean?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
IMHO...

Phyical:

Height

Hand size

Personality:

Ability to "fix" things

Generousity

Etc. etc.

I absolutely agree with that....regardless of how good or bad daddy was, that's what *most* women want in a man....

So where are all the women who had good Christian fathers who raised 'em right?

Oh...wait..they're already married.

It's downright scary how often you can look at a girl's father and understand the roots of her personality issues, whatever they may be......
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm 6'4", 205 lb, and the last chick i dated was 5'2".  It made little difference to me that she was short, but she said she only liked tall guys.  The current prospect is about 5'6" and pretty freakin' gorgeous.  

Quoted:
ignorant question: What's with hand size?  Why does it matter, what is it supposed to mean?

Hand size, well, certain other parts of the body are usually proportional to the size of your hands...like, um, your feet....and stuff

(swm, 20, likes long walks on the beach, romantic evenings, and conversation)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's downright scary how often you can look at a girl's father and understand the roots of her personality issues, whatever they may be......

Damn good advice.  Young guys take note of this.  I wish I had truly understood that back in 1985.

If there is even a hint of abuse or negligence, you will have a lot of issues to overcome.  Chances are good you will fail and not even understand why.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hand size, well, certain other parts of the body are usually proportional to the size of your hands...like, um, your feet....and stuff

Thanks, I thought that might be it but wasn't 100% sure.  (told you it was an ignorant question )

Had heard the "foot" thing, but not the "hand" thing.   Good grief, is there any part of the anatomy that guys won't say relates to their........
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
ignorant question: What's with hand size?  Why does it matter, what is it supposed to mean?[/quote]

Thanks, I thought that might be it but wasn't 100% sure.  (told you it was an ignorant question )

Had heard the "foot" thing, but not the "hand" thing.   Good grief, is there any part of the anatomy that guys won't say relates to their........

No, I'm not in any way relating to hand size= "his tool"size- PLEASE!

There are aspects of your father's hands that comforted you when you were being held as a child
and those kinds of things (I believe) are traits that perhaps unknowingly to you, attract you to
one man vs. another.

Maybe this goes all the way back to when you were 3months old and first grabbed your father's finger.

Like I said, these are opinions I have, they're not concrete, just wondering any of the women out there have ever felt or thought that way....

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Hadn't heard that one either.  Boy have I been under a rock.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#12]
As a 5'10+" chick I don't have a problem with guys who are shorter than me, as long as they don't have that stupid 'short-guy-chip-on-the-shoulder-syndrome' .  Gack.

My current man is shorter than me and he loves it when I wear those super-high heels that make me stand about 6'2".  

Of course, he says it's just because they make me easier to find in a crowd .
He has to be kidding.  I already stick out in a crowd.  Don't need no stinkin' heels for that.

Seriously, I don't judge a guy by his height, but by his personality, intelligence, shoe/hand size and sense of humor.  Once I get to know someone, I don't even pay attention to their height, hair (or lack thereof), etc.  My mature girlfriends say they feel the same way.

It's the total package that gets the girl, dude, not the height.

GC

ps:  favorite bumper sticker seen on female-driven truck

Size DOES Count
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn good advice.  Young guys take note of this.  I wish I had truly understood that back in 1985.

If there is even a hint of abuse or negligence, you will have a lot of issues to overcome.  Chances are good you will fail and not even understand why.  

My rule of thumb is if she hates her father, stay far far away.  Those are usually the types
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw this on one of those "Dateline NBC" shows or other somesuch nonsense my wife made me watch.

They had women pick out likely dating prospects from a police-type lineup from behind a one-way mirror. Each of the guys was given some sort of attribute (personality, job, whatever). The women, by a HUGE majority, picked the tall guys. When they threw in a short guy, they would pretty much have to make him out to be a Nobel Laureate before the women picked him, even if the other (taller) guys were bums according to their fictitious description.

My wife also said she was a height snob and would never really have considered dating a shorter guy. I think she's 5'8" FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmm......I wear a size 16 shoe.

Damn hard to find shoes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes, there is.         the brain

That theory about girls and daddies has merit. Of the girls that I have had more than a casual relationship with, the ones with "daddy issues" were the most unstable and untrustworthy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, there is.      brain

That heory about girls and daddys has merit. Of the girls that I have had more than a casual relationship with, the ones with "daddy issues" were the most unstable and untrustworthy.

I'm curious. Is there any correlation to the "daddy theory" when a girl's father dies when she is in her teens or early 20's, or is this theory based on the girl's view of/relationship with her father during his living years only?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That heory about girls and daddys has merit. Of the girls that I have had more than a casual relationship with, the ones with "daddy issues" were the most unstable and untrustworthy.

I'm curious. Is there any correlation to the "daddy theory" when a girl's father dies when she is in her teens or early 20's, or is this theory based on the girl's view of/relationship with her father during his living years only?

I can only comment upon the girls/women that I have known. The most unstable GF that I had was sexually abused by her father and grandfather. After several years together, she finally stated that she felt guilty about enjoying the abuse. She was a functional alcoholic and I later discovered, was incapable of being faithful. I was in my "knight in shining armor" phase then. I would not even consider being involved with a woman that unstable now.
The most stable of the unstable women had an absentee father and a mother that had a boyfriend of the month lifestyle.
The others had varying degrees of daddy issues and unstability, but all had problems with alcohol and monogomy.
About 8 yr ago I met the perfect woman ( for me). If GOD had offered to make me the girl of my dreams, she would have been exactly like Stephanie. We were an absolute matched set. She had a great relationship with both of her parents. Her parents were still married and also seemed like a match set. We were engaged to be married when she was killed by a drunk driver.

My experience with these women is by no means enough to establish a "theory", but it is enough for me to not want to be with a woman that has unresolved daddy issues.

ETA, I was thinking about the women I have known and I remembered Rebecca.  Her dad died when she was in her late teens. She was a very good woman and very stable. As I remember, we had a discussion about this subject. She concurred that girls with daddy issues were generally unstable. If I had to make a swag, I would say that girls whos fathers died would not have to deal with betrayal. Daddy is gone because he is dead, and not because he wants to be or because mom made his sorry ass leave to protect her babies.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
We were engaged to be married when she was killed by a drunk driver.

I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can only comment upon the girls/women that I have known. The most unstable GF that I had was sexually abused by her father and grandfather. After several years together, she finally stated that she felt guilty about enjoying the abuse. She was a functional alcoholic and I later discovered, was incapable of being faithful. I was in my "knight in shining armor" phase then. I would not even consider being involved with a woman that unstable now.
The most stable of the unstable women had an absentee father and a mother that had a boyfriend of the month lifestyle.
The others had varying degrees of daddy issues and unstability, but all had problems with alcohol and monogomy.
About 8 yr ago I met the perfect woman ( for me). If GOD had offered to make me the girl of my dreams, she would have been exactly like Stephanie. We were an absolute matched set. She had a great relationship with both of her parents. Her parents were still married and also seemed like a match set. We were engaged to be married when she was killed by a drunk driver.

My experience with these women is by no means enough to establish a "theory", but it is enough for me to not want to be with a woman that has unresolved daddy issues.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It certainly does seem that there is some correlation to the daddy daughter theory. I can take a handful of girls/women I know and see some similarities in what you speak of. But that can also be true of the general upbringing as well. I suppose if something horrible happened to you consistantly the whole time you grew up, that would become the norm in your mind. I always had a great relationship with my father, more so than my mother, but unfortunately he died when I was 17. I'm sure my life would be very different today if he was still around!

Sounds like the method works for you, which is what is important. I hope that you someday find someone that touches your heart just like Stephanie.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I appreciate the kind words. I added that bit of info to head off somebody asking me "if  she was so great, why aren't you married now?" questions.

I miss her.

SigZiggy, see my previous post. See if my swag sounds reasonable.

Oh yeah, you fellas that are concerned about your stature, don't be worried about that. There is a woman out there that thinks you are just right. You just have to keep looking.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I appreciate the kind words. I added that bit of info to head off somebody asking me "if  she was so great, why aren't you married now?" questions.

I miss her.

SigZiggy, see my previous post. See if my swag sounds reasonable.

Oh yeah, you fellas that are concerned about your stature, don't be worried about that. There is a woman out there that thinks you are just right. You just have to keep looking.  

Betrayal You are RIGHT ON with that!!!

I have comments on the stature as well (of course).

I'm sure you'll find, the more mature the woman, the less concerned she'll be with whatever the heck you look like. There are no saline/silicone winkies in the HOTD thread. Women like to be treated with respect for the most part. Show us you care and it will pay you back two-fold.

If your hands are big, all the better to hold them with. If your hands are small, you'll just have to work a bit harder to cover more ground. Big feet, small feet, short, tall, bald, long hair, short hair, who cares???

It's how you treat us that really matters in the long run.

That is all
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If your hands are small, you'll just have to work a bit harder to cover more ground.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If your hands are small, you'll just have to work a bit harder to cover more ground.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm an impressive 5'10" tall in my socks.

I know that I am very, very tall.

Other people seem mistakenly believe that I am short!  I don't know why they don't see my reality.  

What I'd like to know is, why do so many tall women claim to be shorter than they are?  I've met a lot who claimed to be 5'8" who were closer to 6' than I was (am?).  I had one get pissy with me because she said I was lying about my height, since she was only 5'8" and she was taller than I was.  After we measured, I was still 5'10" and she had miraculously grown to 5'11".  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What I'd like to know is, why do so many tall women claim to be shorter than they are?  I've met a lot who claimed to be 5'8" who were closer to 6' than I was (am?).  I had one get pissy with me because she said I was lying about my height, since she was only 5'8" and she was taller than I was.  After we measured, I was still 5'10" and she had miraculously grown to 5'11".  

I always say I'm 5'2" but I'm really just 5'1.785463758"
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:04:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn, is he anorexic or something?  6'1 and 160 lbs is scrawny, give that man a cheeseburger

Fast metabolism.  Eats a full meal and two hours later he's hungry again.

He's not scrawny, he's got a great build.  Guess he just doesn't have a beer gut like some of the other fellas here.

I've got that same high metabolic rate.  The ONLY way I gain weight is by lifting weights, and if I really apply myself I can pick up about 1 pound a month.  I eat supper twice a night, at 5 & 9 o'clock and it doesn't make any difference at all.  I've eaten at buffet's with some big-bellied male friends of mine and they alway say "I'd like to know where the hell you're putting all that food!"

I think 4 years of running track & cross country stunted my growth, 'cause I still weigh exactly what I weighed when I graduated from high school - 137lbs.

As far as women's height goes, I like 'em short.  5' - 5'5".  Can't really say why, just a personal preferance.  First love maybe?  A few (20?) pounds overweight is fine w/ me too - actually a turn on.  It shows me that she's healthy and confident but also aware of and in control of the weight issue.

And one other thing.  She has got to be able to handle my sense of humor.  I'm extremely sarcastic and quick witted.  I make comments that are completely off the wall, just for the shock value.  It takes a while for people to understand and appreciate that I'm only kidding.

The wife & daughters have finally adjusted to my sense of humor, and now they laugh along with me after making comments like "OH MY GOD, DAD!"  

Now, in my younger days when I ran the bars, I don't know how many times I almost got my ass kicked for razzing some half drunk stranger with an inferiority complex....
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#28]
It's funny.  Never even considered the idea that I might be considered "short" until I dated a woman who was 5'11"

I'm 5'6"

I imagine there are women who would have no interest in me due to my height.  But that's their loss.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now what you should have said is:

"I always say I'm 5'2", but I'm really 5'  3.14159265"
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[beavis]huh huh uh....she said Pi[/beavis]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#32]
all i have to say is never work for a man who is shorter than you.  my [physchology major]
friend calls it  Napolean syndrome or something like that.  i have had a couple less than positive experiences working for or with short dudes.

btw,  i'm 6ft, size 13 shoes, big hands...my long skinny fingers make playing the guitar easy.  

Short people got nobody...short people got, no reason to live.

SGatr15

i might have a new sig line.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

[beavis]huh huh uh....she said Pi[/beavis]

[butthead]heh heh heh.  Yeah, if you were  5'  3.14159265" you could say you are "5 Pi" heh heh heh.  Yeah, that would be cool. heh heh. [/butthead]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Math geeks.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I never really considered myself short.  It's just never really been an issue for me.  I think the day it becomes an issue for a guy is the day he either starts to become a jerk (i.e., Napoleon complex) or he becomes a loser (i.e., total lack of self-confidence).  I think I'm about 5'7" or 5'8".  My wife, by the way, is 6'0" and a total knock out!

She used to be a little uncomfortable dating shorter guys in the past.  But she said that with me, she really didn't notice my height at all.  It wasn't until we had been dating for a while and we were looking at pictures of us standing together that we really noticed the height difference.

From talking with her, it seems that unless a guy is way outside the normal range (shorter than 5'5" and taller than 6'4") it really doesn't matter how tall he is if the rest of the package is good.  But if being short is an issue for the guy, it becomes an issue for the girls too.

RE: Daddy Issues - I totally agree with the idea that a girl's relationship with her father affects her emotional stability and especially affects her relationship with other guys later on.  When I've seen girls with relationship problems, the root could almost always be traced to something that her father did or didn't do.

For you dads out there, remember this.  Treat you daughters like princesses.  They way you treat them throughout their formative years will be reflected in every single relationship they have in the future.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

For you dads out there, remember this.  Treat you daughters like princesses.  They way you treat them throughout their formative years will be reflected in every single relationship they have in the future.

please don't!  i just got out of a relationship with a 'princess' spoiled b1tch.  her dad waited on her hand and foot and got her whatever she wanted.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

please don't!  i just got out of a relationship with a 'princess' spoiled b1tch.  her dad waited on her hand and foot and got her whatever she wanted.  

I should clarify what I mean by that then.  I don't mean turn them into spoiled brats.  I don't think that giving a daughter everything she wants does her, or anyone else any favors.  What I mean is treat them with utmost respect and be generous with appropriate affection.  Be their friend, but above all be their father.  Sometimes that means showing them that you are disappointed with their choices.   But a girl should never be afraid of her father.  He should earn her respect as well as her affection.

Think about how you would have wanted your wife's father to treat her when she was growing up.  Treat your daughters that way.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top