Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#1]
There's some belief that the Romans drove their carts and horses on the left, as well as the belief that travellers on horseback would ride on the left so that they could keep their right hands free to greet or attack.

Stuff like that.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have never been in a country with left hand drive - but I have been in many left hand drive cars in a country with right hand drive, but which imports most of its cars from Japan.

I can only assume that if Samoa switched over the dark side, it was due to cheaper and more reliable cars from Japan or Australia.  They are awful far from major right hand drive markets, and it is easier when you are an island.

the only cars i was ever in were taxis, and they were regular style. i didn't really pay attention to the other cars there, although i did see a chinese pick up. it was actually pretty sweet. i know samoa used to have something to do with NZ, a dependency or something. i wonder why they didn't start out driving on the left.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's a British thing, not European.

This.

When I was in grade school I read a book that stated that the whole "left side of road" thing dates back to the Middle ages.  If you saw someone coming, and you weren't sure if it was friend or foe, you moved to the left while keeping your right hand on your dagger, etc.

Edit-Jamaica is also right hand drive, but they were also a former Brit colony.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never really understood the purpose of have both right and left hand drive vehicles. Wouldn't it make cars cheaper to make a unified system?

What caused the seperation between the US and Euroland?

Metric roads.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

And that crazy fucker King George...

That's exactly correct.  Stammering is an hereditary problem in the English royalty.  When the King was about to make his proclamation on which side of the road to drive automobiles all he got out was:

R-R-R-R, Left!  Automobiles will drive on the Left!

Edit due to mind stammering.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I suppose a better question is, is LHD or RHD better?

Shifting gears with the right hand just seems . . . so . . . natural.  At least for right-handed people.  

Our race tracks also tend to be counter-clockwise, while in Britain they are clockwise.

Our real race tracks are clockwise.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#6]
How do they handle that situation with the Chunnel?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#7]
We were  driving on the left in good old days of Czechoslovakia but then Hitler came and we had to switch sides, Sweden did the same in 60s if  I am not mistaken.
I actualy drove my continental(wheel on left side) Skoda in England and i liked it - maybe just because i am lefty;) It helps to guess the distance to wall on narrow english roads.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How do they handle that situation with the Chunnel?

Your car rides the train

Don't know what side the trains drive on

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I've done it, and I actually like it.  Feels kind of like how we drive in the left lane on the highway
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a British thing, not European.

And Japanese.

At least there is a valid reason why the Japanese drive on the left.

It's a hold over from the Samurai era. If two passing Samurai are walking on the right side of the road in opposite directions with their swords worn on the left there is a chance their swords might hit each other. Honor demanded a duel when that happened even if it was an accident. So to prevent these accidental duels it was mandated everyone travels on the left side of the road.

England does it because they are a backwards people.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#11]
So the Siamese twins are in a bar.
The bartender asks where they will vacation this year.
"England ." a twin replys..
"It sucks there, the weather is damp and cold, and the people are rude."
"So why do you go?" the barkeep asks.
"So he can drive!." the twin replys.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top