BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hello here, too.

Been driving them for 9 years, and the only time I've taken mine in is to have the air conditioning properly topped off.

Mine have been no more unreliable than any other car I've driven in the past 28 years I've been driving.  And no more expensive or difficult for me to work on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
because they can

P.S. how many faggotree beemer owners work on their own shit?

Hi.

Another Hi.
I've driven an M3 daily for 13 years. I've taken it to a mechanic ZERO times. It is well maintained. By me. Take your fagotree, Truckin, and stuff it.

Hello here, too.

Been driving them for 9 years, and the only time I've taken mine in is to have the air conditioning properly topped off.

Mine have been no more unreliable than any other car I've driven in the past 28 years I've been driving.  And no more expensive or difficult for me to work on.

Sample size of 1 or two here and there really means next to nothing. What's being discussed is engineering differences, reasons for them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If you have ever done this to a wheel stud, you or the previous person to tighten the nut on it was a complete fucking moron. It's not an issue if you don't grab a 130+ ft/lb impact and just go to town on it like a damn idiot. However if you do it, yes a bolt so long as the shaft is still there to grab on to with some vice grips is easier to just twist out and replace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you have ever broken a stud and had to replace a load of parts to get the wheel on and safe, you would understand.

If you have ever done this to a wheel stud, you or the previous person to tighten the nut on it was a complete fucking moron. It's not an issue if you don't grab a 130+ ft/lb impact and just go to town on it like a damn idiot. However if you do it, yes a bolt so long as the shaft is still there to grab on to with some vice grips is easier to just twist out and replace.

I've broken studs before. Drive the old one out with a punch, install new one.

Let's see you get that broken bolt out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh no, you had to bring a Honda guy in here...
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you have ever broken a stud and had to replace a load of parts to get the wheel on and safe, you would understand.

I'm confused why you're quoting me...  I clearly stated earlier on that stud & nut combo's are superior. I was just saying IF the bolt twists into above the hob, you can likely get a pair of vice grips on it and unscrew it easily. Making it's replacement much easier than a stud. But that's only IF it breaks above the hub, flush or in the hole, and it's going to be a PITA. Still very doable, but a PITA.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow. This is dumber than a diesel truck thread.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

im a tech, and i hate any time i have to touch german monstrosities, they are just crazy

bmw's with v10s take a really strange and expensive oil, 10W-60... strange stuff, some of them dont have dip sticks, they have a danm sensor that can go bad, it sits on the bottom of the pan and mid west snow salt destroys the wiring quickly

when i think geman cars i think tiger tank. just nonsense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lotta angry fuckers in this thread.

im a tech, and i hate any time i have to touch german monstrosities, they are just crazy

bmw's with v10s take a really strange and expensive oil, 10W-60... strange stuff, some of them dont have dip sticks, they have a danm sensor that can go bad, it sits on the bottom of the pan and mid west snow salt destroys the wiring quickly

when i think geman cars i think tiger tank. just nonsense.

I'm a tech and i feel the same way with German cars. I work at an Acura dealer and I only have to work on German cars when they get traded in. They seem to be way over engineered to me from what little is see of them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe BMW uses bolts because the wheels are designed to be hubcentric. There is a raised hub on the rotor that is precision machined to interface with the inside of the wheel, guaranteeing a wheel that is centered off, we'll, the center.

The bolts don't actually have to do the job of supporting the weight of the vehicle they basically just keep the wheel from escaping outward off of the precision hub.

Possibly in this way the design is stronger and less prone to stripped threads because they don't have to be tightened as much, and the holes for the bolts unlike studs never interface with the thread of the bolts. IDK
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Shhh.  He's on a roll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I almost dropped a wheel on my self once because I didn't know
wouldn't you have known after taking out the 1st bolt?  

My first thought too.

Shhh.  He's on a roll.

Being used to the wheel staying on the studs, it tilted and came off the boss in the hub.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I daily drive an E30 so obviously I am not anti-BMW but the idea that owning a BMW longterm is as inexpensive and troublefree as a Japanese commuter is pure fiction. The average 13 year old BMW that has never been to a dealer is found on Craigslist for $3000...they'll rip your arm off for $2000.

My car is very basic,easy to work on and quite reliable. You sincerely couldn't give me the average E36 M3 left out there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I believe BMW uses bolts because the wheels are designed to be hubcentric. There is a raised hub on the rotor that is precision machined to interface with the inside of the wheel, guaranteeing a wheel that is centered off, we'll, the center.

The bolts don't actually have to do the job of supporting the weight of the vehicle they basically just keep the wheel from escaping outward off of the precision hub.

Possibly in this way the design is stronger and less prone to stripped threads because they don't have to be tightened as much, and the holes for the bolts unlike studs never interface with the i.d. of the wheel's bolt holes. IDK
View Quote

These bolts had the taper machined into them.

I know what your saying, my truck is that way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Possibly in this way the design is stronger and less prone to stripped threads because they don't have to be tightened as much, and the holes for the bolts unlike studs never interface with the thread of the bolts. IDK
View Quote

all oem wheels on all makes and models have been hubcentric for atleast  a century....
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Because with a bolt, the threads can be made sort of as one with the head. With a stud, the threads are necessary made separately from the nut.

It's an over engineering thing. Like putting left hand threads on the left side.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly in this way the design is stronger and less prone to stripped threads because they don't have to be tightened as much, and the holes for the bolts unlike studs never interface with the i.d. of the wheel's bolt holes. IDK

There is a taper on the base of the head of the bolt. I'm not sure the design is inferior in any way imaginable when you take into consideration all the factors of the BMW wheel and hub design.

Maybe only in a race setting for doing quick change outs where being able to throw the wheel on the studs and go ape with the airgun is a speed advantage.

As far as strength which some here are taking about my opinion is its as strong or stronger. The hub does all the work in the design.  

A BMW with 1 tight bolt can go down the road more or less fine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

all oem wheels on all makes and models have been hubcentric for atleast  a century....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do not fit up the same. Clearance on GM stuff I have is crazy, like the wheel has 1/16th" clearance.  I just did some machine work for a guys wheel adaptors that the GM wheel was no where near advertised size.

ETA: When you take the 5 or 6 nuts off other cars do you have to work the wheel as hard as you can to rock it off the hub?

My 2014 GMC Sierra you dont. My 06 530i and my 06 M5 were matched with less than slip fit tolerance.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#16]
First time I took the wheel off on my E82, I was surprised, I had never been exposed to wheel bolts. Only made putting the wheel back on a bit more difficult, since I couldn't just throw it on some hub-mounted studs. So I had to hold the wheel and tire on to start one or two bolts, oh fucking well

Some of you guys will bitch about anything.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Because its one part that does the same job as 2 American parts.
View Quote

Except, it is 2 parts as well, because they have to put those plastic caps over the bolt heads.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#18]
If it's that big of a deal you can convert it to studs/nuts very easily....
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Because they are idiots.

Maybe at "some point" they were masters in automotive engineering -- but now they are just morons.

Example: I've driven my brothers BMW F30 (3 series) with "electric" steering.  It sucks! goes light all the time and for a "sports car" has little feel to it. So BMW spent countless dollars in building an electric steering system that "copies" a rack and pinion system but is endlessly less reliable, costs much more, has untold amounts of issues and on top of that; they spent another fortune adding servos to make it feel more real.

Then my brother gets into my HONDA S2000 and tells me the steering is, for a lack of better words; perfect.  I tell him that I know. And its flawless.

Now Google BMW electric steering problems -- there are like a million hits.

German engineering -- yeah, maybe in 1978.
View Quote
All steering will be all electric in a few years.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nope, no possible way to do that with studs. Just impossible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said it couldn't be done?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Because the Germans can't help over-engineering just about every design concept that they develop. It's just in their nature. Also, they're not quite as good at it as they would have the rest of the world believe.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Stud conversion kit. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
All Germans do that

I had an Audi A4 that did.

I know every car I have ever worked on that was german had it.
View Quote

Old VW buggy has bolts....60's era.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Overcomplicate the uncomplicated.  

I had a ducati, same bullshit.  
Id buy another tho.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Going back to Original Post, It's because Saint

Ferdinand decreed that brake hubs would be made with threaded holes for wheel-attaching bolts, and so it was written.

And so it was.  The fact that most of German industry was flattened might have made existing practices (bolts) the only viable system for the Germans post WW II.  Might not have been any choice, in other words.

Being familiar with both styles of wheel attachment, there is little to choose between them from the end-user point of view.
View Quote

That could explain it, the flattened industry part.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Because German.

Seriously.

Talk to a German engineer sometime and question their design.

If you can't understand the 'why' behind the design, it is because you are too stupid to understand their faultless German engineering.

View Quote

Hahaha.  I spent years working with a bunch of Swiss-German guys.  There are two ways to do things.   The Swiss way, and the stupid way.  Just ask them.  :)
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I feel if I had to fiddle with a 20" truck rim to line up the bolt holes I would injure myself.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

High five.  I did the exact same thing yesterday - switched out the winter tires/wheels for the summer tires/wheels on my wife's Porsche.  It's definitely more annoying and difficult to get the wheels back on, and align the holes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took the winter tires off my wife's VW yesterday, and cursed the damn German engineers who used those fucking bolts.
Of course I curse them every time I take the tires off the damn thing.

High five.  I did the exact same thing yesterday - switched out the winter tires/wheels for the summer tires/wheels on my wife's Porsche.  It's definitely more annoying and difficult to get the wheels back on, and align the holes.  

If the car has a trunk toolkit, there's a good chance there's a wheel tool in it that would be similar to this

You shove it through the hole on the rim and into one of the stud holes, and it helps you align the wheel to put the other bolts in
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I had a tire go south on a John Deer manure spreader that I used last week, the keeper ring wheel was held on with six bolts.

It was made in 1942.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
All Germans do that

I had an Audi A4 that did.

I know every car I have ever worked on that was german had it.
View Quote

VW is the same.  I don't have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You say they are using bolts because of a hub-centric design. This statement implies that bolts would somehow be better than studs for this purpose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said it couldn't be done?

You say they are using bolts because of a hub-centric design. This statement implies that bolts would somehow be better than studs for this purpose.

No, I'm saying because of the design they use studs arent needed. Bolts do just fine. For the same reasons everything else ever in the world uses bolts to keep them together.

I'm not claiming to know why they don't use studs instead but I do hold firm they don't need them for any added strength because there is no stress on the bolts because of the tight fitting hub.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Studs may have been used for the slight amount of added strength 100 years ago. Now, every vehicle on the road is hub-centric, and has been for some time. Studs are better for the application, since they monumentally reduce the amount of pain in the ass that it takes to mount a wheel, and the ease of replacement should one corrode and break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I'm saying because of the design they use studs arent needed. Bolts do just fine. For the same reasons everything else ever in the world uses bolts to keep them together.

I'm not claiming to know why they don't use studs instead but I do hold firm they don't need them for any added strength because there is no stress on the bolts because of the tight fitting hub.  

Studs may have been used for the slight amount of added strength 100 years ago. Now, every vehicle on the road is hub-centric, and has been for some time. Studs are better for the application, since they monumentally reduce the amount of pain in the ass that it takes to mount a wheel, and the ease of replacement should one corrode and break.

I'll speak to the point of mounting the wheel.

On a BMW there is a lead in on the hub and wheel. You simply place the wheel on the hub and rotate the hole pattern to get it close before you push any further.

The wheel will sit right there with no help and wait for you to put the bolts in. It's a non issue.  Maybe not for other cars but this is so for the 3 BMWs I've owned.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sample size of 1 or two here and there really means next to nothing. What's being discussed is engineering differences, reasons for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
because they can

P.S. how many faggotree beemer owners work on their own shit?

Hi.

Another Hi.
I've driven an M3 daily for 13 years. I've taken it to a mechanic ZERO times. It is well maintained. By me. Take your fagotree, Truckin, and stuff it.

Hello here, too.

Sample size of one?  How many have YOU driven, and decided that they're horrid?  Care to look at the first quoted portion of this post?  Sample size of ignorance is usually telling.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I am the foreman of a BMW shop.  This thread is full of WTF.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have never really understood it myself, I once looked under the hood of a Saab.

The only thing I can think of is that it somehow benefits the initial manufacturing process or some politician owns a bolt factory.
View Quote

Man, you wanna talk about different.  I rebuilt the motor from a Saab 900 turbo.  It was the oddest thing.

For those that haven't seen these-  The clutch is on the front end of the motor (behind radiator), and all of the accessories are on the firewall end.  

The transmission sits under the engine, where the oil pan normally is.  The transmission case has a sealed cavity formed in it that holds the engine oil.

Here's the transmission.  That splined shaft on the upper portion is driven by the clutch.  A triple row chain transfers the power down to the transmission input shaft.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Italian cars have these too.

My fucking POS Dodge Dart has these fuckers.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I used to own a BMW R1200GS motorcycle; it had a skid plate on the bottom that needed to be removed to change the oil filter.
The skid plate was held on by four fasteners... of three different varieties.  Two different sizes of inverse Torx bolts, and then two hex nuts.  At least the hex nuts were the same size.  
Seriously though.

ETA:  The rear wheel was also bolted onto the final drive.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I had a tire go south on a John Deer manure spreader that I used last week, the keeper ring wheel was held on with six bolts.
It was made in 1942.

View Quote

I was going to mention something along these lines. Lots of US made farm machinery, ie John Deere, use bolts for the wheels/hubs on most (if not all) pulled equipment.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Man, you wanna talk about different.  I rebuilt the motor from a Saab 900 turbo.  It was the oddest thing.

For those that haven't seen these-  The clutch is on the front end of the motor (behind radiator), and all of the accessories are on the firewall end.  

The transmission sits under the engine, where the oil pan normally is.  The transmission case has a sealed cavity formed in it that holds the engine oil.

https://ranwhenparkeddotnet.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/rwp_saab_turbo_engine.jpg

Here's the transmission.  That splined shaft on the upper portion is driven by the clutch.  A triple row chain transfers the power down to the transmission input shaft.

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/photos/saabpics/gearbox_rebuild_001.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have never really understood it myself, I once looked under the hood of a Saab.

The only thing I can think of is that it somehow benefits the initial manufacturing process or some politician owns a bolt factory.

https://ranwhenparkeddotnet.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/rwp_saab_turbo_engine.jpg

WTF.....really WTF!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am the foreman of a BMW shop.  This thread is full of WTF.
View Quote

Scary and so very sad.

Former BMW/Porsche/VW/Audi  service manager
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that is a strange setup. How many miles did it have when it needed a rebuid?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fiat design?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Fiat design?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fiat design?

Likley. I ran across a few Saturn models with them as well. Probably built by GM counterpart Opal!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone ever own a VW product and have to pay like 60$ a quart at a dealer just for a power steering fluid? That pissed me off big time.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top