BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Because

you can
This puts me in the mood to buy some mags.  Who has the best deal going now?

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Because

you can

This puts me in the mood to buy some mags.  Who has the best deal going now?

PMAG 40s coming up soon, man...I need 10 or 20 of those.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Zombies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I haz plenti of clipz.  

I'm in commie NY. When ever I see pre-bans I buy them. My issue is the price.
There are SEVERAL good people here that work with us in NY and do 1-1 deals with PMAGS or even dare I say simple GI replacement steel mags.
The same goes for Glock mags. They are out there, we just have to look.
Some of the first mags I bought I really had no clue what to look for. When I look at them now I notice little things wrong with them.
Feed lips bent, bulges in the seems etc. I have all the good mags loaded and stored for the future and the ratty ones I use for the range.
My go bag has 4 of my best mags loaded and ready to go with a few 50 cans full of loaded and empty mags close to the go bag.
Some day I'll have to throw out a mag or two because they truly are shot. As stated, because we have the fucking ban I never want to be with out them again.
The mags I have now I could be using 10, 20, or 30 years from now. If my kids wanna shoot AR's down the road, they will need mags.
Care to take a guess how much it will cost them 30 years from now to buy a AR15 mag?  
Sometimes, I have to stop looking in the EE in the mag section because I keep buying.
The wife understands why I always buy mags, she doesn't like all the money I spend on them, but she understands.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]
in general is there "the best" place to buy mags? or is it whoever has the best deal at that time?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
in general is there "the best" place to buy mags? or is it whoever has the best deal at that time?

Yes, the EE I have found is the best price for mags.
Even for you free state guys.
I would support the site sponsors if you are looking for mags.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Magazines are an expendable resource. They wear out, break and get lost.  Also, it isn't out of the realm of possibilities that a ban on hi-capacity magazines may come around someday.

If someone told you that toilet paper was going to be banned next week, how much of it would you want stockpiled?

This thread reminds me that I need to order more PMAGs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#8]
When DSG had 10 pmags shipped for $100, I figured it's be good to order those while at those prices.

Wish I could find those prices on Pmags again. Maybe when the next gen comes out and they want to unload this one
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I like to load a big stack of mags at my leisure.

If I only had a few then I would spend more range time loading than shooting.

That, and I am both a packrat and a survival nut.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I just bought a shit ton. (15)

There is simply no way in hell that they will ever be any cheaper than the are today.

I don't own a rifle, and need to save money. I figure before I buy any more than that, I should have a rifle. This should hopefully be remedied on Friday.

Depending on how things workout, I might order another 10. After that, I'm done.

I will never need more than 3-5 mags for 3-gun. I use 2 old 20 rounders for high power. I typically shoot single shot at the public range.

The rest are for a rainy day, or to have them for my future kids/grandkids if there is another ban.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:29:17 AM EDT
[#11]
same thing as intimadtr.  i live in a commie state.  preban mags are all we can get.  prices suck.  but you get them when you can.  i have several coworkers who live in VT and NH who offer their prebans to me and other ban state coworkers cheap when they upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#12]
My .38 doesn't use mags and my 10/22 has a single 10rd rotary clip, no magazines needed.

I told my boss I bought 6 more Glock mags and he asked me "Why do you need that many? You can't carry them all"

I've got 10 AK mags (Don't have an AK anymore) 12 AR mags (have one) and 10 glock mags (2 pistols).

I need atleast 50 for each...
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:36:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Magazines were one of the things banned by Clinton in 1994.

They wear out eventually.

Stock up now so you can have them later.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:46:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Why the fuck not?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:00:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why the fuck not?

Because you asked:

-They take up space.

-They cost money.

-You can only use one at a time.

I might go through four or five mags during an afternoon in the desert. And that's when I'm feeling rich.

My understanding now is that people don't buy mags to actually use them, but instead for protection against the uncertainty of the future.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Mags are generally speaking the weakest link
They wear out
They are inexpensive at the moment
I like to shoot more and reload less at the range
Good bartering material when they are expensive if you bought when they were inexpensive (buy low/sell high)
I personally like to have a min of 6 mags/ weapon
If SHTF you will need them now not later

I was old enough when the AWB hit...will not happen to me again. Plus I'm a mag whore, it's one of the things I like to collect. I have about 50 something AR mags and about the same for AK mags. Everything else is in the teens or twenties for mags.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:15:51 AM EDT
[#17]
For those of us who lived through the Klinton ban, we will never take the availability of good mags for granted again. It is like people who lived through the depression and their view of..well...everything useful.

Yes, I paid $100 for two aftermarket (Scheer) GLOCK "hi-cap" mags that only worked reliably after I replaced the springs with WolffXP.

Yes, I still have a box of neutered 10 round magazines and crappy "hi-cap" Pro-mags and other shit to remind me of the cuckolding the .gov forced upon law abiding Americans.

No, I will never forget it.

Mags, parts, ammo - Buy them cheap and stack them deep
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:20:49 AM EDT
[#18]
gear bomber's.......

Some people find it really cool to say they have 100+ mags...
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:22:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Mags, parts, ammo - Buy them cheap and stack them deep

Good quote of the day.
Also a good motto.      

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:31:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Magazines are disposable.

In combat you shouldn't retain them if your in the middle of a shootout.  If your doing a tactical reload I can see retaining as you are under cover and/or concealment and there is a small break in the shooting.  

Your gun won't run without them, they break over time (considerably faster than your gun does), and you should expect to lose some in a gun fight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:34:32 AM EDT
[#21]
One reason is 1994.  Also is mags are lost or damaged I can't run down to Walmart and buy more

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:35:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Apparently you weren't around from 1994-2004.

this
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:01:36 AM EDT
[#23]
There is no such thing as, "Too many magazines" or "too much ammo"...

There is a wealth of knowledge here, young Padawan...you would be wise to take heed.

The 1994 AWB sucked. Hard.

THERE WILL BE ANOTHER BAN. Bank on it. And it will be worse/more restrictive. And it won't "sunset"/expire. The Lefties/Liberals/Marxists/Commies learned what the weak points were the last time around...and all it will take is one of the current conservative U.S. Supreme Court Justices to step down/retire/die and be replaced with a Marxist by Obama and we're fucked <FOREVER>.

Prepare now, while you still can...buy it cheap and stack it deep. Not just mags and ammo, but spare parts. That $0.75 pin, $5.00 spring or $10.00 extractor might not be available, if still legal, after the next ban.

Not trying to be "Mr. Doom & Gloom"...just a realist.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:06:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Convenience

It's easier to pick up nine or ten fully-loaded mags when I decide to go to the range rather than take 3 and reload each twice.

Also, I keep several mags loaded with different types of ammunition:  wolf for run-n-gun plinking fun where I'm not shooting groups.   privi for general range time (higher velocity, noticable POI shift in my rifles), and of course any hand-loaded or match-grade stuff in 10 rounders for hunting.

Secondly, they are likely at all-time record low prices - it's an easy investment in a consumable item (just like having a spare bolt/carrier setup or gas tube); eventually you will manage to break them.

Lastly, it's just nice to know I can throw ten mags at my friend, his friend and my soon-to-be Leader of the Resistance progeny - and still have 20 left over for myself (if necessary).      
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:07:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Big out of control government communist nazi zombie homo Satan worshipping statist.

Bilster
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:08:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Because I was in to guns before the mag ban in the 90s and I remember when Glock 22 mags were going for $100 each
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:13:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Some people's hobby is collecting bottle caps, some people's hobby is collecting gun magazines.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:14:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I have 6 30 round mags and one 20 round mag for my AR. 3 Mags for my XD subcompact, and 2 mags for my 10/22.

I would like to add 4 more AR mags, and then I'm good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:15:08 AM EDT
[#29]
you go through mags really quick in a fire fight. and they are a pain in the ass to reload hence having moar makes more more sense
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:16:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Because I can shoot faster than my wife can reload.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:17:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Because of September 1994 - September 2004, fool me once, and all that
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:21:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Store them near the toilet.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:25:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I actually looked at this awhile ago.

I don't see any drawbacks to storing lots of magazines (unused or used), other than perhaps logistical footprint and real estate.

However, bringing all of them to the range can be detrimental to your trigger time and here's why. When you bring 2 mags to the range, you will spend most of your time loading those two magazines. If you bring 30 magazines to the range and reload all 30 magazines each time, you will be spending more time loading magazines. A happy balance must be acquired (or additional manpower to help you reload). I found taking about 6-8 30rd magazines gives me a happy balance of trigger time and reloading. I always use a MagLULA because it is the fastest tool that isn't expensive and easily transported.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:27:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
yea i dont get why some people here have so many (50 or 100+), but it would be cool to have my whole stock of ammo loaded in mags

you're living in a state being over run by drug runners, thieves, kidnappers and border jumpers and cant understand having 100 mags at the ready? you my friend are on the
front lines of what may be a war....
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I have more $100 Glock mags than I care to admit.  I said to myself "never again..."  

Now I have boxes and boxes of magazines.  I have some magazines that I will probably never even use.  Hell, I rarely shoot anything anymore except two barreled shotguns.  That's OK.  Because never again will I find myself that position.    
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, aka the AWB, had a lot to do with it.  Same reason my grandparents, who were a product of the Depression, distrusted banks and kept a large amount of food & supply stocks on hand.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:38:58 AM EDT
[#37]
"Buy it cheap and stack it deep" or "Two is one, one is none" take your pick.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:40:01 AM EDT
[#38]
i like to read?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Everytime I find a good deal on ammo pouches at the FunShow, I have to fill them
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:42:59 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd rather have too many than not enough
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The '94 ban drove the prices thru the roof.  Don't be caught short again.  Mags are designed to be expendable.

Right there you have it. Particularly the last part.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Zombies
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#43]
In a firefight do you want to load mags or reload you rifle and keep raining down hate and discontent on your enemies.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:46:28 AM EDT
[#44]
This thread has got me wanting to put up another ammo can full of P mags.;) I probably have 140 AR mags right now. That's not unreasonable for having 4 ARs. If the SHTF, I could end up supplying and additional 4 ARs of friends and relatives.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:49:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Magazines wear out, get trashed, get lost.
It is nice to have spares when you need them.
Oh, and also,,,,because I can!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#46]
If you know how many you have, then you don't have enough.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#47]

I don't want to be forced to pay ridiculous prices for a metal box with a spring in it.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Cuz there's no 4473 to fill out?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:52:02 AM EDT
[#49]
I have extra Mags for the same reason that I have extra parts. I'll have enough when they become unobtainable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm hoping to have lots of male children, and I want each of them to inherit at least one ready-to-go AR and 20+ mags for it.

I am NOT going to let my kid's inheritance depend on the political whims of the sort of 'leaders' we vote into office nowadays.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top