Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Jeeps are teh sex. My JKU laughs in the face of Jeep-hating ARFCOM Prius pilots:

2014 Oscar Mike JKU, 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs, 1.75" Daystar coil spacer lift, 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Jeeps are teh sex. My JKU laughs in the face of Jeep-hating ARFCOM Prius pilots:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69152
View Quote
That is nice looking....if I did not have a diesel engine in my WK I would be all over a JKU

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That is nice looking....if I did not have a diesel engine in my WK I would be all over a JKU  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're putting a diesel in the 2016 JK's. Already available in Europe.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Europe/Australia/South Africa have always gotten diesels in their Wranglers...

I will only believe it when I see it here in America.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

engines? 4.0? those things are bullet proof
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my tj, it's cost me thousands of dollars in maintenance and upgrades and engines. I view it like a woman, they cost a lot but are a lot of fun

Mines a 2.4l 4cyl. Great engine, I get 16mpg with 35s, but I hydrolocked it so it's not jeeps fault. Then after I had the whole engine rebuilt it only lasted 1k miles. Then dropped a used engine in it, then hydrolocked it again now put a new mopar short block in and reused the head and it's back on the road. Next will be a 5.3 v8 swap
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#6]
2002 TJ 90K  Ordered new, and left bone stock for daily driver, and farm use.

Poor thing sees almost as much time in a sandy/muddy blueberry field, as it does on asphalt.

Replaced original battery last week.

Replaced radiator after tornado threw a tree at me.

3 sets of tires. Gas, Oil, filters.

Stupid CD player quit working last year....fucking Jeep!

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What you driving boss man?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they're junk
That's gonna change jeeps poor quality?

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#8]
<----- Has owned 3 Jeeps.

They constantly and I do mean contantly break down.

Every F@cking thing breaks on them.

I will only own Tacomas from now on.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really think they might do it. the new 1500 is 3.0l diesel and I believe that's what they'll use.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Because it's not a 70's version.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

<----- Has owned 3 Jeeps.

They constantly and I do mean contantly break down.

Every F@cking thing breaks on them.

I will only own Tacomas from now on.
View Quote
Make sure you get your leaf springs looked at...they may corrode and break...

Toyota Recalls 790,000 Tacoma Pickups

On vehicles with the defect, corrosion could weaken a leaf spring, allowing it to break. "The broken leaf could move out of position and contact surrounding components, including the fuel tank,” the automaker said in a news release

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#12]
GD hates everything OP.

If you're not allowed to like your own guns, why would GD stand for you liking your own vehicle?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they're junk
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Diesel in 2016.  Already confirmed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I have never really understood the whole jeep thing. Sure they look cute, but they cannot tow worth a damn, have a build and ride  quality second only to a product from Mother Russia, have no cargo capacity, are priced to ridiculous levels, drink gas worse than just about anything else on the market and drop parts going down the road.

A small or full size 4x4 pickup from just about any manufacturer is a much more capable and cheaper vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said I will believe it when I am standing on a dealer lot and looking at one.....there is also rumors about an Aluminum unibody with IFS as well....so who knows

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Poor thing sees almost as much time in a sandy/muddy blueberry field, as it does on asphalt.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/Dingeryote/Feb714061.jpg

View Quote

Part of the reason for the bad reliability stigma on Jeeps is that, unlike pavement queen SUV drivers, a lot of Jeep owners really use their Jeeps.  Mudding, rock climbing, etc.  Then Consumer Reports does surveys of Jeep owners: "Have you had any problems with your axles/suspension/drivetrain/whatever in the past 12 months?"  They never ask WHY the Jeep owner broke an axle.  They have no category for "broken axle from driving over big fucking rock." Or "hydro-lock from driving through a fucking pond."
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have never really understood the whole jeep thing. Sure they look cute, but they cannot tow worth a damn, have a build and ride  quality second only to a product from Mother Russia, have no cargo capacity, are priced to ridiculous levels, drink gas worse than just about anything else on the market and drop parts going down the road.

A small or full size 4x4 pickup from just about any manufacturer is a much more capable and cheaper vehicle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Like I said I will believe it when I am standing on a dealer lot and looking at one.....there is also rumors about an Aluminum unibody with IFS as well....so who knows  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aluminum body might be on the 2018 Wrangler, which would be an entirely new body style.  Supposedly JK body style is retiring in 2017.  Chrysler historically has done a new Wrangler every 10 years, give or take.  JK was introduced in 2007.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a TJ and LOVE IT!! I have made several upgrades to it and it is reliable and will go anywhere I want to go. I don't see it a lot different than when I owned a bike, I didn't leave it stock and I haven't left the jeep stock. It is not my primary vehicle but it gets the most grins per mile from me and my wife.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I like mine , Original motor , trans , and t case
not bad for 52 years old , toyota owners call me in 50 years . I had a toyota, nice truck but way over rated .

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I've never owned one, just heard horror stories.  Never cared for them.  But my next vehicle purchase is going to be a 2014 or 2015 Grand Cherokee, most likely.  This will be late 2015 or early 2016 most likely, so this is the plan unless I find something I like better between now and then.  They are so sexy looking.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#23]
1984 J-10

1996 ZJ
1997 ZJ

Just Endless Electrical Problems.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Been a Jeep Wrangler guy for years. Had a CJ5 back in the day, currently I own a '01 TJ 4.0 Sport with 145K and a '14 JKU Rubicon with 11K. This will sound strange, but I prefer the rougher riding, noisy TJ over the smoother riding, more quiet, more powerful and refined JKU. Granted the Rubicon package makes for an awesome off road machine without doing much modifying. In fact I don't get the whole high lift, crazy mudder type tires. Thats not my bag. I prefer closer to stock, and the largest tires I can put on without having to lift or have rubbing issues, is ALL the mods I do. Most folks that have issues are doing it wrong. I think you either 'get it' or you don't. Many friends are the type that don't get it. I just say "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand."

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a 07 Commander, hence my screen name.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#26]
They're a Chrysler product.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a 2001 Cherokee XJ. The vehicle has spent more time in the shop than in my driveway. I'm not impressed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Forever known as the "Barbie-Mobile".

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Part of the reason for the bad reliability stigma on Jeeps is that, unlike pavement queen SUV drivers, a lot of Jeep owners really use their Jeeps.  Mudding, rock climbing, etc.  Then Consumer Reports does surveys of Jeep owners: "Have you had any problems with your axles/suspension/drivetrain/whatever in the past 12 months?"  They never ask WHY the Jeep owner broke an axle.  They have no category for "broken axle from driving over big fucking rock." Or "hydro-lock from driving through a fucking pond."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

90% of the Toyotas I see being vaunted as "Better than", don't even have fucking paint scratch. The 'Yota guys that actually use their shit, break the same shit as Jeep folks do.
Don't even get me started on the big three trucks and their track record in the last 15 years, or the Jap shit that is just as bad, and never was worth a shit as a truck to start with.

Most of the whining is from Mall crawlers who scotchlock the fuck out of the wiring,  JC Whitney fuck the suspension, slap on oversized wheels and tires without a re-gear, and then wonder why their shit doesn't get Camry MPG's and breaks the fuck down.

Folks either get it, or they don't.

I'll give some credence to the bashing on the JK's though.
Jeep fucked the dog long and hard by making the thing "Car like" to appeal to the broader market, and the Buzzy assed V6 is a joke.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#30]
in GD eyes I rate pretty high on the stupid meter
always owned dodge trucks and own a '14 Jeep a JKU
all I need now is som Obama bumper stickers

all I know is in GD we cant ever like anything.... ever
Dodge thread 50 Dodge sucks replies
Ford thread 50 Ford sucks replies
Chevy thread 50 Chevy sucks replies
DPMS thread 50 DPMS sucks replies
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have never really understood the whole jeep thing. Sure they look cute, but they cannot tow worth a damn, .
View Quote

obviously not going to change your mind and make you run out and buy one or anything but
pretty regularly see them hooked to boats headed to the lake here
its kinda funny looking but they will haul a pontoon boat no problem...

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

obviously not going to change your mind and make you run out and buy one or anything but

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have never really understood the whole jeep thing. Sure they look cute, but they cannot tow worth a damn, .

Just don't try to stop quickly.  

I had a 2000 Sahara, loved it.  Got tired of the lack of power, and went for a full sized truck.  I'll probably pick up a jkur in the next few years, and keep my old truck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#33]
This reminds me...I need to get mine into the shop yet again. The engine randomly turning off is a problem.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#34]
No idea.    I am very happy with my 13' JK.   The 3.6 moves it quite well.    I have taken it on a few 7-800mi trips, and some shorter trips to the beach for fishing.       Can get a bit tight taking more than one other person fishing, but I have a hitch rack for that.     It tows my 17' bass boat just fine, and the short WB makes it retardedly easy to get into even the tightest boat launches.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

2014 Oscar Mike JKU, 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs, 1.75" Daystar coil spacer lift, 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers.
View Quote

Do you seriously have "eyelids" on that Jeep?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

90% of the Toyotas I see being vaunted as "Better than", don't even have fucking paint scratch. The 'Yota guys that actually use their shit, break the same shit as Jeep folks do.
Don't even get me started on the big three trucks and their track record in the last 15 years, or the Jap shit that is just as bad, and never was worth a shit as a truck to start with.

Most of the whining is from Mall crawlers who scotchlock the fuck out of the wiring,  JC Whitney fuck the suspension, slap on oversized wheels and tires without a re-gear, and then wonder why their shit doesn't get Camry MPG's and breaks the fuck down.

Jeep fucked the dog long and hard by making the thing "Car like" to appeal to the broader market, and the Buzzy assed V6 is a joke.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The original JK engine was shite.  The new 3.6L Pentastar has plenty of power and has been pretty well received.  Stock gearing ratios are too high, but have to be for the hippy CAFE standards.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not beating ya up but the 4.0 went to a 3.8 and the model year 2011 and up is a 3.6l
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They got rid of the 4.0 Straight Six.

Yup and had problems with the models that came after they did that.

4.0 went to 3.7

But the problems were more electrical .... dashboard crap

If you have one ..... don't expect it to last as many years as the older ones did.

There again the RUST issues ....... for as long as I can remember Chrysler product loves to rust out.

Not beating ya up but the 4.0 went to a 3.8 and the model year 2011 and up is a 3.6l

Not beating ya up, but the 2011's were 3.8, and the model year 2012 and up is a 3.6l
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They're a Chrysler product.
View Quote

Yeah. No "hate" here, but I do remember something about a bankruptcy, taxpayer funded bailout, and thousands of layoffs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Mines a 2.4l 4cyl. Great engine, I get 16mpg with 35s, but I hydrolocked it so it's not jeeps fault. Then after I had the whole engine rebuilt it only lasted 1k miles. Then dropped a used engine in it, then hydrolocked it again now put a new mopar short block in and reused the head and it's back on the road. Next will be a 5.3 v8 swap
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my tj, it's cost me thousands of dollars in maintenance and upgrades and engines. I view it like a woman, they cost a lot but are a lot of fun

Needs more/better snorkel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am very happy with my 3 current Jeep vehicles: 2000 TJ with 182k, 1993 XJ with 212k, and 1994 ZJ with 165k. All still run strong. They have had minor issues like a water pump, cat convertor, front wheel bearings on the ZJ and belts replaced but overall great, reliable vehicles. Ive had Toyotas and Nissans with more problems.

The Jeep parts are cheap, everywhere and vehicles easy to work on. That sounds like a winner.

Also have a 96 Ford Ranger with 140k that is a great little truck.

So, I don't get the hate.
View Quote

I love mine.
'99 TJ with 125k
'01 XJ with 194k
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I know a full time toyota mechanic. You want to know what he does 10 hours a day 6 days a week for the last 3 years?

Change out Tacoma frames.

I'm on my 5th Jeep the wife's is her 4th   No real issues with any but the one with the GM2.8 v6.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#42]
BECAUSE I OWN ONE!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

It depends on what you want to do with it. I didn't buy a wrangler to tow or haul with. It IS more capable in the woods (Though a side by side UTV would be too). I will concede that they get shitty mileage though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a 94 wrangler I have owned since 95. I have had one electrical problem, the cut off relay kept tripping...but that was in 2005. I replaced entire vehicle harness because of age and split wires....I have rebuilt engine 4.0, twice and it is far from stock. They don't run well full of mud Rust is the only issue I have had a problem with lately. Two years ago I cut it out of Frame and body and fixed it all.  I have replaced the D35 with a 44 because the 35 kept breaking when I went to 36" tires. I have beat my jeep mercilessly and I will never give it up!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#45]
What is the AR15.com of the jeep world?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not beating ya up, but the 2011's were 3.8, and the model year 2012 and up is a 3.6l
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They got rid of the 4.0 Straight Six.

Yup and had problems with the models that came after they did that.

4.0 went to 3.7

But the problems were more electrical .... dashboard crap

If you have one ..... don't expect it to last as many years as the older ones did.

There again the RUST issues ....... for as long as I can remember Chrysler product loves to rust out.

Correct my mistake.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What is the AR15.com of the jeep world?
View Quote

Wrangler forum, or NAXJA.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Because you can find people who hate anything. Especially in GD.

I've owned a 94 ZJ Grand Cherokee, a 02 Wrangler (my Avatar, still owned), and an 06 Liberty CRD (lost in the divorce).

All were pretty reliable. Only stuff you'd expect to have to do.

The rest of the family had a 97 ZJ Grand Cherokee and a 98 XJ Cherokee.

NONE of those vehicles had any major issues; at least that didn't follow a Collision. (The 94 was hit on the side of the road by a drunk driver, the 98 was in a head on with a Durango because my sister is an idiot, they both had problems AFTER that caused us to sell them and make it someone elses problem...)
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Jeep owners.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top