BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:You think "the policy seems goofy"--well isn't that just precious?  

You have a real hard time discussing things without being condescending don't you?

Not at all, but there is a huge difference between "discussing" and attempting to answer a seemingly unending series of remonstrances.

The only answer to "how exactly does the average du troll get ar15.com urls from the du server logs when the average du troll doesn't have access to said logs" I've seen is "because we said so".

Does anyone really NEED to hotlink to DUh?  Is it really worth arguing for hours over?

I've got nothing better to do.

Why not a simple "okay, I won't do it"?

I don't plan on doing it. I'm just curious to see if someone can explain to me how people who don't have access to DU's server logs can get ar15.com url's from there and thus be enticed into trolling here.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was under the impression that this was a rule invented by those enforcing it because they believe that posting links violates:

7.) Posting topics or discussions with the desire to do the site or community harm. More specifically creating topics meant to disrupt the site's day to day management, disrupt member's resources, or disrupt the ability for the site to function normally.

I can only assume you are being serious, though your stated quoted is so far-fetched as to seem tongue-in-cheek. Just so you see it said--Staff and Mods are not allowed to "invent" rules of any type, and have ZERO input into the Conduct Code.    

It doesn't seem far fetched to me. If you discovered posters doing something that you hadn't seen before and that you believed would harm the site, you would stop that behavior without first checking with the site owners, right?

That's how I'd assumed this rule came about.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BoreSigthed, you are incorrect.  I suggest you check your facts.  Referrer records do not pass on the last site visited.  They only pass along information of the site that referred them to the page via a link, hence the name.

It does not always, but it can.  I had it happen to me last month.  AR15.com showed up as a referrer on a site that was never linked from here.  The only way that could have happened is if I had surfed to the other site from AR15.com and it grabbed my last visited page as the referrer.

The browser controls whether the referer header gets sent.  My understanding is that most browsers do not send referer information when using the navigation bar.  I remember at least one browser that did, but that was a bug.  That was a long time ago, so things may have changed.

I don't know what the specification says, but that doesn't mean much, since browser developers only seem to follow those parts of the spec which are convenient and/or politically expedient.

jafager
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Look guys, bottom line, staff and mods have asked you not to do it... so don't.  Why is it people have to buck board policy every time it is raised?  Please, stop making life more difficult for the people who keep things up and running around here.  My lord, sometimes I think many people here disagree just to be disagreeable or in retaliation for some perceived slight to themselves or their board buddies.

Once again, out of respect for the mods and the staff who have to deal with this, please do not link to DU... and as an extra precaution, please open a neutral page first.  Not that difficult folks.

Jesus Christ, Quit your crying. EVERYONE has heard your little tantrum and seen you roll on the floor to make your point. STFU already.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look guys, bottom line, staff and mods have asked you not to do it... so don't.  Why is it people have to buck board policy every time it is raised?  Please, stop making life more difficult for the people who keep things up and running around here.  My lord, sometimes I think many people here disagree just to be disagreeable or in retaliation for some perceived slight to themselves or their board buddies.

Once again, out of respect for the mods and the staff who have to deal with this, please do not link to DU... and as an extra precaution, please open a neutral page first.  Not that difficult folks.

Jesus Christ, Quit your crying. EVERYONE has heard your little tantrum and seen you roll on the floor to make your point. STFU already.

dang it, you're going to get the thread locked before we find out how trolls follow hotlinks back here

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dang it, you're going to get the thread locked before we find out how trolls follow hotlinks back here

1776, there are so many ways to say the same thing in a much nicer way..
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hell Red, I hope it doesn't get locked!  The more 17 has a chance to prove the level of his intellectual incapacity, the happier I am!

Give him enough rope ...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top