Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Many, probably most, burglars know their victims. They may be a casual acquaintance. They stop by socially, see the XBox, and come back later to steal it. The hood rats don't know as many home owners off in Ridge Dell Estates. See it, steal it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your assumption is wrong.  That may be your perception, but it is not an accurate reflection of reality.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
9/10 burglaries I see on the news are in the shittiest neighborhoods where the homes/apartments are crap and there can't be much of value inside.

Is there a thought process in this or are they just stupid?

Your assumption is wrong.  That may be your perception, but it is not an accurate reflection of reality.  

Maybe, but my experience has shown me that most dirt bags don't stray too far from their comfort zones.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
They are more comfortable in familiar surroundings
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Edit:  my brilliant observations have been covered.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:19:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Stop listening to the news as your primary source of information, for starters
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Most good burglars choose better locations and don't get caught.

Stupid burglars choose easy hits and get caught alot.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Because the vast majority of crooks are stupid and have issue with impulse control. They decide hey I need some cash for whatever, Ima go steal some shit. Then they go steal shit.

They aren't Danny Ocean.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:09:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Poor people can't afford guns.  No guns make a soft target.
View Quote

Most residential burglaries are committed by junkies and kids. They're not thinking that deeply into it.

If anything, knowing there are guns in the house, would make a target more attractive.

Guns are easily to sell, and fetch a good price.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#9]
poor shitty homes have the latest big screen TV, $300 sneakers, XBOX,  latest cell phones and an EBT card.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#10]
They don't in Houston.
They go where people have nice things.
Sure it occurs in bad neighborhoods too but they have wised up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#12]
They aren't robbing people to get rich. They're robbing people just to get something they can fence quickly and for enough money to get their next fix.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Somethings they drive 30 miles to the nice part of town and steal stuff out of your truck.  Ask me how I know.

The idiots the spent 30 minutes using/ selling stole gas and debit cards at a gas station in their neighborhood.  Did I mention the gas station has them on video?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Short commute.
View Quote

Well, props to them for trying to reduce their carbon footprint.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#15]
You're not thinking like a predator.

High risk/high reward is not the way to be in for the long haul, especially if you just want drug money.

Just like a hyena picking off the weakest wildebeest in the herd, tweakers and crooks will go after the easiest target.

Rich people have alarms, security systems, stay at home moms, and you have to get there and back without getting caught.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Many reasons...

1) Criminals are stupid.

2) Criminals are lazy.

3) Criminals are so stupid and lazy they don't have reliable transportation.

4) Criminals prefer to operate in familiar territory.

5) It's all Bush's fault.

6) If the minimum wage was $15 they'd... well forget that one because they wouldn't and couldn't work if you held a gun to their lice infested heads.

Right now my neighborhood is dealing with a couple of shit birds who are casing houses while riding bicycles.  They'll then steal something and stash it.  They call for a buddy to pick up their stuff using their ObamaPhone and have it drop shipped to the fence/drug dealer.  Since nobody in my neighborhood rides around on junk bikes while looking like circus freaks they tend to stand out.  They are on borrowed time.  If they stayed in their neighborhood they wouldn't be getting as good quality but they'd be able to steal with impunity.  It's like deer camp around Castle Jeepnstein.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If they made the 20 mile journey from the city to come here, they'd have to pass the guardhouse, two gates, and then there would be several people spotting them saying, "Who the fuck is that, and what the fuck are they doing here?"  A quick call to the guardhouse would get them intercepted in minutes, and they'd be held for police as appropriate.   There are also the cameras, the alarm systems, and the firepower.

When we have construction crews about, the contractor is required to put up the cash to pay for someone to keep an eye on the workers whenever they're here.

Expensive?  Yep.

Effective?  So far.
View Quote

Wow fancy people
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Valid reasons have already been given, but if I think about it my house would be pretty bleak for a ghetto goblin.

Apart from my old laptop, Wii and iPad there's not much a regular thief would really find of value in my house.  Firearms are locked up in a built-in safe and cameras monitor all comings and goings.  No jewelry/bling, cash, fun drugs, etc.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Not always but.......

I'd venture to say that with "targeted burglary crimes".........the thought process is that YOU have something that I WANT.  While a burglary by a teen burglary suspect (with too much time on his hands) is not typically a "thought out process."

Anyway, give some thought to this........

http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/local/police-allen-homeowner-kills-intruder-in-invasion/article_646a8d9e-e30c-11e1-85d7-001a4bcf887a.html

The victim is a well known Browning HP seller on the internet.   And, thanks to the news media, everyone now knows where someone looking for guns can try and pick some up.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#21]
NO GUNS!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#22]
No car
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Lot easier to walk home with a 60" TV than to hop on the bus.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top