Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Figure this one out...

The gym I belong to offers a membership discount to employee's of the V.A., yet they don't offer a discount to military members or veterans.  I asked one of the membership dweebs why they offer a discount to the people taking care of military members, yet not to the actual military themselves. I'll give him credit for telling me that he doesn't make the rules, but if he did, military and vets would get free membership.

That guy, he has it right.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nurses: controlled work environment

RN flying in a helicopter during severe weather because a tornado just fucked up Jackson, TN or to the scene of the firefighter that went mad and started shooting his fellow firefighters responding is probably not a 'controlled work environment.'  But I never ever heard the wife complain.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#4]
OK....how about this....

FREE guns for everyone!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's face it, emptying bed pans and foley bags just isn't that dangerous.

That's not all we do there skippy and if that is really how you feel about nursing maybe you should try to shadow somwone on a med/surg unit or in the Er for a 12 hour shift.

I'm an ICU murse with 15 years experience, I was kiddin'.
I worked a brief .gov contract for huge amounts of $$$ to staff a med/surg unit, I wouldn't want access to discounted guns if I had to work that hard all the time

As for the ER?  It takes a very dedicated person <––––- understatement.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OK....how about this....

People would still bitch...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's face it, emptying bed pans and foley bags just isn't that dangerous.

That's not all we do there skippy and if that is really how you feel about nursing maybe you should try to shadow somwone on a med/surg unit or in the Er for a 12 hour shift.

Besides, that stuff is what CNAs are for...

Quoted:
Quoted:
OK....how about this....

People would still bitch...

"What do you mean the ammo doesn't come with it?!?!"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#8]
CONTROLED ENVIROMENT  LOL   Wife is in interview process to be an RN - Flight Nurse on life flight Chopper doesnt seem like a controled enviroment to me.  Not to say LEO and FF arnt deserving but thet arnt the only first responders.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CONTROLED ENVIROMENT  LOL   Wife is in interview process to be an RN - Flight Nurse on life flight Chopper doesnt seem like a controled enviroment to me.  Not to say LEO and FF arnt deserving but thet arnt the only first responders.

Life Flight crews are not first responders. LE is generally first on scene, followed by Fire and Ground EMS, if ground EMS decides life flight /air evac is needed then LE and Fire set up, mark and secure an LZ and then life flight does it's thing .Are they important? Yes. But they aren't first responders because that's not their role.

Businesses can offer discounts to whoever they want, gun stores often offer them to LE/Fire/Mil because these are the people most likely to take advantage of the offer and increase traffic and business. So why don't you go to said stores that offer LE/Fire discounts and ask them why they don't offer discounts for RN's? Video it should be good for laughs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]
FFs, EMTs, and Ps are first responders. They are the guys dealing with the emergency situation in hazardous envirnoments and have to work around that. Just how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#11]
FF's by the nature of the job they do go into hazardous environments. EMT's and P's that only work on the box not so much. One of the first things you are taught in school is scene size-up/safety. If it aint safe, you aint going in. The nature of the job they do requires it. You can't focus on patient care if you're attention is on the surroundings and vice versa. Are their some risks to the job? Of course.

If a business wants to give them a discount, more power to them. I don't have an issue with it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I always when I see the signs at a gunshop that advertise EMS/FF discounts.  

Beats me why even EMS/FF get special treatment. Even a volunteer FF gets the Glock discount.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#13]
BFL discount.

That's what I'm talkin about!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Personally I think the discount should only apply where Police officers have to supply all their own gear. The discount shouldn't count just because Barney wants to add to his collection. Anything else is an "abuse" of the system as it was set up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps because they generally aren't running into burning buildings, risking their own lives to save others.

Never had to jump on a HIV/Hep B addict in the ER have you?

Yes I have...............in pre booking.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Personally I think the discount should only apply where Police officers have to supply all their own gear. The discount shouldn't count just because Barney wants to add to his collection. Anything else is an "abuse" of the system as it was set up.

It's the decision of the Company or the Business, if they want to do it they can. Free Enterprise and all that, course you could write DC about unfair business practices by companies and individuals by offering discounts to LE/Fire/EMS. I'm sure the horses asses in DC would have no problem attempting to regulate businesses and industry further , in order to soothe the butt hurt.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Only on ARFCOM GD could there be an uproar about FF/LE/EMS discounts.

FWIW, I NEVER ask about such discounts, but if a shop advertises they have one I sure as heck will use it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
well i am guessing it has something to do with respect , emergency service workers preety much put themselves in harms way on a regular basis to make sure me and women they have never meet make it home to their

families, not to knock on what a nurse does but really when was the last time you saw a nurse crawling through a building that was on fire searching for someones loved one or have you ever seen a nurse start an i.v. in a car

flipped upside down in a ditch while trying to make sure he (or she) or their patient didn't drown while waiting for someone to cut open the car. i know that 12 hour shifts in an emergency room can get rough , always getting your

lunch break and working in a dry well lighted environment can be hard on anyone. fireman cops and ems professionals give their lives almost daily for the same people that sit around and bitch about them getting discounts on guns

coffee and pizza how , maybe next time 411 people who share your chosen profession all die at roughly the same time on an early september morning  someone will find it in their hearts  to let you save a few bucks on your next

firearm or cup of coffee
Nobody is saying these people deserve any less respect, but lets be realistic while we are at it with all the praise.
I did not see anyone bitching either, just trying to make sense or logic of it.

They have the job they do because they want it, or because they settled for it, just like everyone else.
They are no more an important link in the chain of saving a life than the people working at the hospitals they deliver the wounded/injured to.

those firefighters died victims of the same catastrophe as everyone else who died doing their job or whatever they were doing at the time. Had they known what was going to happen they would not have gone in, it was not a mass suicide, it was murder.

Those 343 weren't at the WTC as just another day at the office. They went into those buildings after they had already been hit and was already on fire. They went in despite knowing the risks to save the people already in the buildings. Not to down play the deaths of other victims but when they walked into the WTC it was NOT on fire!

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ya know Glock is about the only Firearms maker that has a discount, its a damn good one but you dont just walk off into gun shop and get 50% off a Colt 6920. The mark up on guns is usually so low that mom and pop cant just let a $550 Glock 22 go for $400.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#22]
No one wants to give a discount to the person that puts in the catheter... Well, at least not after anyway, but before might be a good idea

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? The system is clearly set up to allow them to extend the discount to whoever they want, under whatever circumstances. They could just as easily require a letter from the department or require them to order through the factory under more restrictive conditions if they only wanted the discount to apply for duty guns. Glock's discount even applies to members of the military who couldn't possibly be buying guns for duty use, so it's pretty obvious that the system is working exactly as intended.

No need to get shitty about it just because you don't qualify for the discount.

Dude... its a discount. They're not handing out free weapons. Instead of the business making 20% profit on your ass... he makes only 5-10%. You get to go home feeling special and will most likely frequent his store. WIN WIN.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Fire, EMS, MiL and LEO get the discounts because they as a group have historically been counted on as purchasing blocks of prospective customers, much like the same groups can be seen as voting blocks.

I think that the businesses feel that they can accomplish 2 birds with one stone, they can show they are giving back to those that give selflessly to the communities and at the same time the businesses are attempting to get the very elusive "word of mouth" customer base.

Advertising is expensive and good word of mouth and return customers are priceless, they can assure a small business a continued base of customers.

Why don't they do it for others?

I have no idea but if I were tasked to identify several simple groups or blocks of prospective customers then these groups immediately come to mind.

I have been given one many times and will add that its very hard to tell someone to charge you full price when they are attempting to thank you in their own way with a "discount or free coffee" , sometimes it seems as if you are insulting them by denying them the opportunity to provide this unintentional perk.

Some take it personally when you verbally and tactfully decline the offer and then there are those that don't.

My standard response is "Sir or Maam, due to our policy at my department I will have to refuse the offer but I sincerely appreciate the very kind gesture. Sometimes the discount is taken from the total price without our prior knowledge and then it simply is left as they wrote the ticket.

Good, bad or indifferent.............It is what it is folks, but it makes for interesting conversation.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well i am guessing it has something to do with respect , emergency service workers preety much put themselves in harms way on a regular basis to make sure me and women they have never meet make it home to their
families, not to knock on what a nurse does but really when was the last time you saw a nurse crawling through a building that was on fire searching for someones loved one or have you ever seen a nurse start an i.v. in a car
flipped upside down in a ditch while trying to make sure he (or she) or their patient didn't drown while waiting for someone to cut open the car. i know that 12 hour shifts in an emergency room can get rough , always getting your
lunch break and working in a dry well lighted environment can be hard on anyone. fireman cops and ems professionals give their lives almost daily for the same people that sit around and bitch about them getting discounts on guns
coffee and pizza how , maybe next time 411 people who share your chosen profession all die at roughly the same time on an early september morning  someone will find it in their hearts  to let you save a few bucks on your next
firearm or cup of coffee
Nobody is saying these people deserve any less respect, but lets be realistic while we are at it with all the praise.

I did not see anyone bitching either, just trying to make sense or logic of it.
They have the job they do because they want it, or because they settled for it, just like everyone else.

They are no more an important link in the chain of saving a life than the people working at the hospitals they deliver the wounded/injured to.
those firefighters died victims of the same catastrophe as everyone else who died doing their job or whatever they were doing at the time. Had they known what was going to happen they would not have gone in, it was not a mass suicide, it was murder.

Those 343 weren't at the WTC as just another day at the office. They went into those buildings after they had already been hit and was already on fire. They went in despite knowing the risks to save the people already in the buildings. Not to down play the deaths of other victims but when they walked into the WTC it was NOT on fire!

That day wasnt just another day at the office for anyone. Firefighters are the ones who go into buildings that are on fire as their job and they generally do not die doing it.

Many other people also helped their coworkers or fellow citizens out of those buildings and some lost their lives doing so as well. I remember hearing the stories on the news when/after it happened. Those 343 got as equally murdered as the rest of them. I think we cannot help paying extra attention to them because they died doing something to help, even though they get paid to do it and are not supposed to die doing it. They are not any less great for it, but neither is anyone else.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
because they are women

And sometimes that have Tig Bitties
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well lots of those shops do sell stuff a first responder can use, ie. Hooligan tools, glass breakers, first add packs gloves, ppe, suff like that.  Any firearm should not get a discount.

Halligan, dammit!

That leads me to another question along the same lines. Why don't hooligans get discounts?

What are you talking about? He already said that LEOs get the discount...

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Shooting is a male dominated hobby.  And fire/ems is historically male dominated.  Unlike nursing, which has been female dominated since its inception.

They are catering to their customer base.  Aside from that, I have risked my life way more times while in a fire truck than I have in the hospital.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
S.W.A.G.: RNs aren't first responders.

that pretty well covers it.  EMS and Fire get discounts because the shops give them to Police.  For the longest time most of them only gave them to police.  Since 2001 EMS and Fire have been sharing more of the spotlight traditionally held on Police and people have decided that if one service is getting a discount they may as well extend it to the others.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Shooting is a male dominated hobby.  And fire/ems is historically male dominated.  Unlike nursing, which has been female dominated since its inception.

They are catering to their customer base.  Aside from that, I have risked my life way more times while in a fire truck than I have in the hospital.

this too.  Male nurses are becoming more common every year, but it is still a largely female dominated prefession.  How often do you see someone in scrubs stop by your local gunshop?  It's a lot more common to see someone in a uniform and boots stop in on their way home or on their way in.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps because they generally aren't running into burning buildings, risking their own lives to save others.

ever been shot at in the er?
ever been held at gunpoint in the er?
ever had a partner killed by a crackhead in the er?

didn't think so.  those happend to me within a 4 month period

Had plenty of assaults in the hospital, had two nurses in casts by the end of one week and more then a few with bruises because of a couple of addicts.
We've had all sorts of weapons in the ER and we had an entire unit held hostage at gunpoint.
None killed thank god.

Either way, we share the same stories. Because one is outside of an institution and one is inside shouldn't devalue one over the other.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Still going.

LEO shoul be the only folks getting discounts on guns/ammo/entry tools/first aid/ppe etc. EMS/FF shouldn't need nor get discounts on guns and ammo, all other items used in their duties, sure, why not?

I was mil and got discounts on guns when I was active. I don't get it now, I think vets should still get discounts on EVERYTHING! As a murse I get discounts at some stores due to where I work and not for being a nurse. Why would I as a nurse need a discount on a first aid kit, a jump bag or whatever? All that shit is supplied to me at work. My stethoscope is a tax write off along with my scrubs and anything I use that I buy.

LEO doesn't get o write off the guns they buy unless they have to buy their issue, why not give them a discount to encourage them to shoot more often?

While work can be pretty crazy when you are dealing with druggies and ETOH detoxers and you may want to shoot those fucks, you can't...

I've had to tackle an old delusional Mexican guy once and judo chop an old crazy schizo  lady. Does that mean I should get a discount at an akido dojo?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Actually I believe te first nurses were monks
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cause nurses don't have to shoot people on a regular basis.

Who the hell are your EMS/FFers shooting?

Yeah, they are not cops, they are not issued nor trained in firearms.

Maybe some EMS/FF could respond here:  Are you allowed to carry a firearm while working?  I suppose it varies by employer, but I had the impression most are not permitted to do so.
So a discount for firearms has nothing to do with carrying out their duties; which is why I joked about nurses not shooting people as part of their job (as if EMS/FF did so routinely)

It is not prohibited in my protocols or statute as far as ive seen. The closest thing is the sign on the hospital door that says no weapons, though I do believe that is talking about the patients. We are supposed to let Law Enforcement come and save us from (or secure) an unsafe scene... which makes sense, I'll not argue that they are better trained/equipped. But they cannot always be there, and there are always things that can go wrong, a contingency plan makes sense...  Not saying I do carry on duty though...

When on a real fire, accident or hazmat scene, carrying rapidly becomes rather pointless. No way to get to it through turnouts quickly, it pulls on your pants and gets coated with sweat. Im usually focused on fire fighting or extrication and wouldn't really be much use with a pistol. Wildland fires may present some issues with critters, but i've not done much of that so I may be wrong.

I occasionally take advantage of some EMS/FF discounts, and ill admit, it makes me feel special enough to go out of my way to return to the establishment more often.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:ever been shot at in the er?

No.
Not exactly.  I did have a confused old fart pull a single-action revolver out from under his pillow (brought from home when EMS lifted him, via his bedsheets, onto their stretcher) and point it at me.  I was able to snatch it out of his hand before he could remember how to cock it.
No.

eta –– Come to think of it, none of those things happened to me in the 1 1/2 years I worked in EMS.  Of course, I was full-time in the ER for 12 years.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#39]
First responders get discounts. Most nurses, including myself, are not first responders.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea.... After we unloaded him from the rescue we just hauled him in on, and he proceeded to act a fool for the ER doctors & nurses!

Next!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ever been shot at in the er?

didn't think so.  those happend to me within a 4 month period

I have been in multiple fist fights in the ER with irate family members and criminal patients. Have been attacked and had to restrain a drunken off duty corrections officer in the ER. Have come to the aid of North Miami cop who was being beaten down and disarmed by the criminal patient he was escorting in the ER. I beat down the illegal alien, carjacker, violent POS and cop picked up his gun. All of that occurred at Jackson in Miami.
In Birmingham, we had gangbangers set fire to the ICU and ICU waiting room because they were pissed.

All that said....I don't give a phuck about a discount from whomever. Let the LEOs and FFs and other awesome people get it if it helps them. ETA: oh, and .mil should get a discount as well (Active, reserve, NG and ret.). As someone posted above. ER nurses etc. like I was are a small percentage of RNs and not all work in tremendous shitholes like I did. However, LEO and FF EMT can be dangerous even in small podunk towns. So, let em get a discount.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I wish they would let us carry while on duty with EMS.  But it'll never happen around here.  Perhaps they think it's a conflict of interest?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#43]
When faced with a deranged man, covered head to toe in poop, and who has made statements he will kill anybody who comes near him, anybody who stands beside me will be my brother. 9 times out of 10 it is a Firefighter or Medic.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Still going.

LEO shoul be the only folks getting discounts on guns/ammo/entry tools/first aid/ppe etc. EMS/FF shouldn't need nor get discounts on guns and ammo, all other items used in their duties, sure, why not?

I was mil and got discounts on guns when I was active. I don't get it now, I think vets should still get discounts on EVERYTHING! As a murse I get discounts at some stores due to where I work and not for being a nurse. Why would I as a nurse need a discount on a first aid kit, a jump bag or whatever? All that shit is supplied to me at work. My stethoscope is a tax write off along with my scrubs and anything I use that I buy.

LEO doesn't get o write off the guns they buy unless they have to buy their issue, why not give them a discount to encourage them to shoot more often?

While work can be pretty crazy when you are dealing with druggies and ETOH detoxers and you may want to shoot those fucks, you can't...

I've had to tackle an old delusional Mexican guy once and judo chop an old crazy schizo  lady. Does that mean I should get a discount at an akido dojo?
Who the hell are you to decide who a business owner does or does not give a discount to?

No one 'deserves' a discount be they LE/Mil/Fire/EMS etc, but some business owners decide they want to do so.

Most of the places I shop, I would patronize whether they gave me a discount or not. Heck, the hair place does give FF a discount, but I never ask for it, if they remember thats nice, otherwise I pay full price.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone mentioned that it's technically what they call a "Homeland Security discount," and they consider the homeland security folks to be LE, Military, FD, and EMS (and maybe security?).  All these folks fall under the Homeland Security Act, so the manufacturers recognize them.  If a specific dealer wants to recognize RNs, etc as well, then more power to them.

As for me?  I've never taken advantage of the discount...  <<shrug>>
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Still going.

Who the hell are you to decide who a business owner does or does not give a discount to?
No one 'deserves' a discount be they LE/Mil/Fire/EMS etc, but some business owners decide they want to do so.
Most of the places I shop, I would patronize whether they gave me a discount or not. Heck, the hair place does give FF a discount, but I never ask for it, if they remember thats nice, otherwise I pay full price.

I'm sorry, that made me laugh. I guess I'm just not that awesome lol
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Because nurses are civilians.

Uh-oh.... now you did it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Cops are the only ones who should get discounts.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Cops are the only ones who should get discounts.

You're trying to piss off all the proud FF's are you
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top