BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:32:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Around here, in Houston, they aren't in actual cop cars...they are in their POV's with a bunch of red and blue lights all over them.
View Quote

Quite often in dallas I've seen crown Vic's and f150's with decals that say "police" and all the the light show, but there is no department on the vehicles.

The vehicles aren't DPD or DSO.

I e never been able to figure that one out.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Well if you say it's that common to need a level of security, ok. But  I would think with the amount of construction around me I'd see cops arresting people in construction zones, yet I don't. Makes me wonder how necessary it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In short you aren't paying them, the construction company is.

I will post more when I get to a computer and I'm not on my phone.

I thought they might be off-duty (though who is paying for engine wear and tear?) But even if it is the construction company, why not get a bank of lights?

See my post above.  City charges a set hourly rate for cruiser rental also.  Why not a bank of lights?  I cannot tell you how any times I have been working an overnight job and had some drunk drive right past me or into the construction zone and sent guys running.  Officers on the spot handle that a little better than a set of stationary lights.  Alot of time I work paving jobs and we have to move with them, not sit stationary.

Well if you say it's that common to need a level of security, ok. But  I would think with the amount of construction around me I'd see cops arresting people in construction zones, yet I don't. Makes me wonder how necessary it is.

It's not always about that, though.  As others have said, people generally ignore arrow boards, cones, barrels, and every thing else.  If they see the flashing red and blue lights they usually get their head out of their asses long enough that they won't tag a poor construction worker.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
M
Quoted:

So you are there directing traffic? I can under stand using cops for that with the combo of the lights and the training. But that isn't what I am talking about.

This is Missouri and what I see is cops just sitting there acting like lit up traffic cones / road blocks. They aren't directing. They don't even seem to be in a position where if someone was speeding through they could enforce anything. Their purpose seems to be just to alert people of the shit ahead and wake them up. Which you could accomplish with a bank of lights, as by the time you see its not a cop car you will have already been alerted, perhaps slowed down, mission accomplished.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they might be off-duty (though who is paying for engine wear and tear? - And the gov. is paying the construction company to fix the roads/bridges. So taxes are still paying in a round about way.)

But even if it is the construction company, why not get a bank of lights?

I can only speak for WA, but I assume other states may be the same.  In WA a flagger is legally not allowed to control/flag in an intersection which is why you see so many cops working in the construction zones. Also in WA failure to obey a flagman is a misdemeanor crime, if there is no cop there nothing can be done.  The car is there to be the (threat of the) stick in the carrot and stick analogy.  In many years of flagging traffic I have only written a single criminal summons...and she really deserved it.

Some jobs are easy as another poster said, but the majority of the jobs are hard work.  I only work for two companies consistently (they call me direct because I work my ass off for them) and neither of them are usually sit in the car jobs.  Also when I work for these companies I am not covered under my agencies insurance.  I am considered to be "an independent contractor" working for that company and if I get hurt I have to fight their insurance for coverage.  The agency does bill the company for the wear and tear and fuel on the car.

I enjoy it because I get along with the people on my crews and honestly I relate more to the redneck construction worker than I do most of the people in my department.  That being said, directing traffic is one of the most terrifying things you will do as a cop.  If the country was so serious about lessening our carbon footprint they would make driver retesting mandatory every 5-10 years and 70% off the cars would be off the road because people turn into complete morons when they see cones on the ground and they cant go "the only way I know" how to get home!

So you are there directing traffic? I can under stand using cops for that with the combo of the lights and the training. But that isn't what I am talking about.

This is Missouri and what I see is cops just sitting there acting like lit up traffic cones / road blocks. They aren't directing. They don't even seem to be in a position where if someone was speeding through they could enforce anything. Their purpose seems to be just to alert people of the shit ahead and wake them up. Which you could accomplish with a bank of lights, as by the time you see its not a cop car you will have already been alerted, perhaps slowed down, mission accomplished.

Some jobs require traffic control, some jobs you are there in case you need to stop traffic for trucks coming in and out of the job site, and sometimes (very infrequently) you just get to sit in the car and be a visible presence to hopefully stop people from losing their minds going through the construction zone.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:36:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Why are we paying fatasses to breed
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not all cops are fat. Are you saying they are having sex at these construction sites?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:41:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they might be off-duty (though who is paying for engine wear and tear?) But even if it is the construction company, why not get a bank of lights?

See my post above.  City charges a set hourly rate for cruiser rental also.  Why not a bank of lights?  I cannot tell you how any times I have been working an overnight job and had some drunk drive right past me or into the construction zone and sent guys running.  Officers on the spot handle that a little better than a set of stationary lights.  Alot of time I work paving jobs and we have to move with them, not sit stationary.

It's as necessary as my need for 10 of the same handgun.  Not always needed, but great to have just in case.  

Also, it's sometimes considered a "cover your ass" protection for the companies in case someone is hurt or killed while working and they DIDN'T have them.

Also, a few of our utility companies pay us for cars and allow you to sleep while they are performing work.  They just want the lights from the car and if they need you they will come get you.  We pay a monthly fee for using the cars for off duty jobs to help offset gas/wear and tear, etc.  Some guys couldn't pay their mortgages without these added incomes.  Average jobs around here are $25/hr.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not all cops are fat. Are you saying they are having sex at these construction sites?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You aren't?  Is that frowned upon???
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
M

Some jobs require traffic control, some jobs you are there in case you need to stop traffic for trucks coming in and out of the job site, and sometimes (very infrequently) you just get to sit in the car and be a visible presence to hopefully stop people from losing their minds going through the construction zone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
M
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they might be off-duty (though who is paying for engine wear and tear? - And the gov. is paying the construction company to fix the roads/bridges. So taxes are still paying in a round about way.)

I can only speak for WA, but I assume other states may be the same.  In WA a flagger is legally not allowed to control/flag in an intersection which is why you see so many cops working in the construction zones. Also in WA failure to obey a flagman is a misdemeanor crime, if there is no cop there nothing can be done.  The car is there to be the (threat of the) stick in the carrot and stick analogy.  In many years of flagging traffic I have only written a single criminal summons...and she really deserved it.

Some jobs are easy as another poster said, but the majority of the jobs are hard work.  I only work for two companies consistently (they call me direct because I work my ass off for them) and neither of them are usually sit in the car jobs.  Also when I work for these companies I am not covered under my agencies insurance.  I am considered to be "an independent contractor" working for that company and if I get hurt I have to fight their insurance for coverage.  The agency does bill the company for the wear and tear and fuel on the car.

I enjoy it because I get along with the people on my crews and honestly I relate more to the redneck construction worker than I do most of the people in my department.  That being said, directing traffic is one of the most terrifying things you will do as a cop.  If the country was so serious about lessening our carbon footprint they would make driver retesting mandatory every 5-10 years and 70% off the cars would be off the road because people turn into complete morons when they see cones on the ground and they cant go "the only way I know" how to get home!

Valid point - though I still think people would slow down at a bank of lights at night. Until they figured out all of them were banks of lights vs cops, then maybe it wouldn't work any more. I always slow down around those areas, especially at night. Though I do remember when I was 17 or 18 blowing through something (dunno what was going on) and I just sort of froze. I didn't react and slow down, just kept going. Only after seeing a cop waving a light I was like, "Oh, shit, sorry."
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:51:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all.  Ive been drinking and i was thinking about something else.  
No offense intended to leos.
quite the opposite.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:09:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Im sure it is in IDAHO
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would bet that its for federal money

You don't see cops sitting at construction sites or doing flagging duties in this state.

Waste O Money.

Im sure it is in IDAHO

What does that have to do with anything?

It's state laws in some states that require cops on road construction sites, jacking up your taxes.  Why are they there?  Police union lobbies.

Feds have nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So on they way home last night I found out they shut down all 4 lanes of the highway I normally go on. There were 3 cops sitting at the road block. There has been construction there for the last several weeks and many times I see cops around. I got to thinking, I see them a lot of time at road construction sites.

The question is - why? Why are we spending tax dollars on this? I understand if they were perhaps guiding traffic, but they just sit there. The red and blue lights make people sit up and pay attention, but you could get  a bank of lights and a small generator to do that for a fraction of the cost of hiring cops to sit and do NOTHING. Many times they are situated where they couldn't even get out and go after someone if they were being unsafe in a work zone. Heck last night one of the cars was one of those stealth ones with no light bar, so the internal lights were muted compared to the other two, making it even more pointless.

Maybe some cops can shed some light on if this is a true public safety issue or not.
View Quote

Because people don't slow down and do the speed limit for guys with flashing YELLOW lights..... and yeah, it's to protect the workers, and it's the COMPANY paying the officers. Not required by any laws in most states, but reduces insurance for the companies, and does help keep EVERYONE safe.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:25:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

WRONG.

It's state laws in some states that require cops on road construction sites, jacking up your taxes.  Why are they there?  Police union lobbies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't see cops sitting at construction sites or doing flagging duties in this state.
Waste O Money.

Im sure it is in IDAHO

WRONG.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:42:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I routinely stop cars going 90+ in 60mph construction zones...  They are there for a reason.  The cars typically stay behind the rear construction vehicle in order to keep traffic away from the workers.  I recently worked that very extra duty job.  People are morons.  They drive way over the speed limit, and I've actually stopped one or two INSIDE the work area that felt like they were special enough to be on the wrong side of cones.

Trust me when I say this, they are necessary.  I don't plan on doing it again personally.  Yes it's easy money, but dealing with morons in a death box is not for me...

ETA:  I've been hit by a car on the side of the interstate while working an accident, so yes, I can speak from experience.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:47:47 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, you clearly has an axe to grind with this thread.  You were given an explanation as to why this happens and you continue to whine, so I can only conclude this is yet another thinly(poorly)-veiled attempt to bash an LEO activity you and your ilk, the all-knowing GDers, do not understand or approve.  When an LEO works a construction site, he or she is paid by the company... The fact that company was paid by taxes to undertake a road project is a red herring at best, and at worse an angle specifically designed to do nothing more than stir-up anti-LEO sentiment for a completely legal and above-board second-duty job.  Your passive-aggressive "I just want to understand, honest!" method of creating this thread does nothing to hide your true intent here.  Batt your eyelashes and give those doe-eyed responses all you want... This thread's purpose has been made clear by your own replies to the legitimate responses of those trying to give you the educated answers you purport to seek.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:27:13 AM EDT
[#15]
OP you're lucky that the road crew is even working. Miles of coned off lane on the turnpike and you're lucky if one guy is assholes and elbows setting up a warning sign.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:29:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Muh taxes!!!1!!11!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:35:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:59:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There was a big push over construction workers getting run over, what, five years ago? So now there are huge lane closures and half a police department every time a line has to be painted.

Just like cel phones,gay marriage and the confederate flag, no one cares until every one suddenly cares.

Another thing you see now around here is the two (or three) car traffic stop. One car pulls someone over and A second car stops couple hundred years down the road

View Quote

When my guys get out on the interstate, they usually go 2 deep on a single stop.  The front guy handles the stop business while the rear guy hits move-over violations.  From there you can pretty much guarantee leap frogging, because people don't know how to move the hell over or at the very minimum slow down.  With the exception of Washington DC, every actual state in the country has a move-over law, with Hawaii's being the last in 2012, so there is literally no excuse for not knowing...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
People have been known to get out of their cars and assault construction workers for delaying their drive. The PoPo is there is keep the crazies away.
View Quote

This, among other things. Some examples of other things:  

In my early days as a transportation engineer, I participated in an experience building program where I spent about 6 months as a road construction inspector.  Even in our relatively rural area we had all sorts of interesting characters come through our jobsites. Some get agitated/angry at the waits, others are just plain stupid, and then there's the extra special motorist who is a combination of both.  We had one guy who tried to cut around a rather long queue of cars waiting on our flagger.  One of our other inspectors was in that queue and 'pulled him over' with his orange beacon light just before reaching the flagger. The officer that was on our job that night was already in the queue being led through the site (he had a habit of moving from one side of the job to the other every so often) and arrived to handle the situation a few minutes later.  while we were waiting on the officer to arrive, the idiot tried to drive through us and the flagger (when he could see the paver 150 yds ahead in one lane and the pilot truck leading a queue of cars towards him in the other on a 2-lane highway).  After getting a thorough ass-chewing from both us and then the officer (and being made to wait until about a mile and a half long queue of cars was allowed to go in front of him), the motorist then refused to move his car when told to leave, and after being yelled at to move several times finally gunned it and almost hit the flagger. The officer ultimately just let him go (I think he would have ended up shooting the guy had he pursued-he was that pissed).  

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:27:27 AM EDT
[#20]
A couple more examples of when the officer on the jobsite wasn't just wasting time/resources:

We had an incident where some lady flipped her SUV over across the median and slid through the jobsite less than 100' from the paver.  She was putting on her makeup.  

I've also heard storied from some of my former colleagues that in some of the more urbanized areas the gang bangers liked to randomly shoot at the construction workers and surveyors.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:34:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Trolling for the construction  workers leftover doughnuts and its a good place to nap. All those other reasons are merely excuses.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:56:47 AM EDT
[#23]
All the orange in the world doesn't seem to deter half of any given population from trying to run me over, but one blue light can change all of that.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I feel better when they are out there, I know my dog is safe.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Because people will drive through/around/over cones and barricades.

If you don't believe me, it's because you've never worked traffic

ETA:
And it still doesn't always work. As I recall, the driver in this incident drove through a line of cones, sideswiping a highway safety truck and a police cruiser into the middle of a motor vehicle accident scene, striking and killing this officer.
http://www.odmp.org/officer/22072-police-officer-michael-alexander-petrina

People do really crazy stuff on the road.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:21:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Because people will drive through/around/over cones and barricades.

If you don't believe me, it's because you've never worked traffic
View Quote

If the gap between cones is two inches wider than a car people will try and split the difference while bypassing the lane and a half wide opening that you want them to travel through.  It is literally mind blowing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

So on they way home last night I found out they shut down all 4 lanes of the highway I normally go on. There were 3 cops sitting at the road block. There has been construction there for the last several weeks and many times I see cops around. I got to thinking, I see them a lot of time at road construction sites.

The question is - why? Why are we spending tax dollars on this? I understand if they were perhaps guiding traffic, but they just sit there. The red and blue lights make people sit up and pay attention, but you could get  a bank of lights and a small generator to do that for a fraction of the cost of hiring cops to sit and do NOTHING. Many times they are situated where they couldn't even get out and go after someone if they were being unsafe in a work zone. Heck last night one of the cars was one of those stealth ones with no light bar, so the internal lights were muted compared to the other two, making it even more pointless.

Maybe some cops can shed some light on if this is a true public safety issue or not.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I've done that back in the day. DVD player with movies since no Netflix back then.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

They are there to keep the poor bastards working on the roads from getting killed.
View Quote

I'd imagine this.

Also, suck it, cop haters.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Waste O Money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Waste O Money.

Does I-95 run through Idaho?

I would say your traffic situation is a little different than other parts of the country.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#32]
OP lives a good life... has nothing to bitch about other than a road construction company taking reasonable steps to increase the safety of their workers... Then you got this really smart guy from Idaho chiming in... I probably see more traffic on I-75 and the Florida Turnpike in 1 hour than you see in a lifetime.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I am the lead-man for a small to medium size city's street dept. When we have a big road repair where a lane or two will be closed we use barrels, cones, vertical panels and round delineators along with signs. People still drive right through a cone pattern I could land aircraft with.
A cop sitting there usually doesn't get ignored.
I have had way too many close calls in the last 14 years. They are worth whatever they cost.
View Quote

Seen this a thousand times out here on the road; dumbass in a car or semi-truck HAS to be first in line, and weaves or bullies their way through the line of slowed traffic. If the white car with the shiny, blinky-lights wasn't there, they'd probably barrel right in into the actual working area.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#34]
It doesnt happen in other countries, definitely not in Europe, and I dont eecall seeing it happen in Canada.

Are road crews killed at higher rates in those countries? Are the roads maintained by sub-humans whose lives dont matter?

I don't think so, just another reason to fleece the tax payer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I guess for the same reason we pay for half of those AT the construction site to lean on shovels and watch.....
View Quote

you obviously have not worked in construction
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
revenue generation.  Fines are double in a lot of construction sites, so every speeding ticket or whatever brings in more $$$
View Quote

The guys I know in Highway Patrol who did that OT never pulled over anyone. They sat and watched dvds.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Cops make that much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The contractor pays the officer their wage, say $50 an hour, to be there.

Cops make that much?

I know cops who make over $60/hr on straight time.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You're lucky. They just hang out at firehouses out here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You're lucky. They just hang out at firehouses out here.

I miss local cops like that.

Quoted:
Best extra duty gig going has to be jewelry store work.

I preferred "Click It or Ticket" overtime at $75/hr.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to call and complain about this.   Maybe call the TV station and get interviewed and start a petition to get this ended so you can save the entire penny this is costing you personally
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

And who pays the construction company?

and in MA they are being paid overtime and it is required by law that they be there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I've done that back in the day. DVD player with movies since no Netflix back then.
View Quote
I got through all ten seasons of Stargate SG1 through off duties like that.

Still have the portable player too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The construction company (you know private enterprise that GD cumshot hard over, asks for and pays for them and all associated costs here. But please, continue with your bullshit.
View Quote

I am confused. Where does the money come for the construction project?

If the money is taxpayer money and the local govt. is mandating off duty officers be hired, is that not a waste of taxpayer money?

Having driven past numerous officers working off duty construction, I have never seen one leave their post and stop someone.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waste O Money.

Im sure it is in IDAHO

Yeah its the unions

If Idaho had the same population per square mile as Maryland it would have 50 million people living there.  That makes a pretty big difference in the amount of traffic problems in the state.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are paid for by the construction company. Your tzx dollars are not being used, workiing special duty, get a clue
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lol.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#46]
They're too busy running speed traps in the construction zones here. Reason #409 why I don't like ISP.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not fat, and where are they breeding at construction sites? I may need to move, so I can more evenly distribute my seed
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If the money is taxpayer money and the local govt. is mandating off duty officers be hired, is that not a waste of taxpayer money?

Having driven past numerous officers working off duty construction, I have never seen one leave their post and stop someone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The construction company (you know private enterprise that GD cumshot hard over, asks for and pays for them and all associated costs here. But please, continue with your bullshit.

Around these parts the construction companies' insurance requires it.  Now, I don't know if this results in measurably better insurance rates for the companies involved, thereby offsetting the costs of the detail officers, or if it is just some insurance company employee ticking a box and saying "OK, now that you have that, we'll actually cover you if anything (within policy limitations) happens," and the rates are the same.  In which case, yes, it is a waste of taxpayer money in the end (unless you know of a construction company that won't pass costs on to customers,) just one driven by insurance company lawyers, not public employee greed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If the taxpayers pay the contractor and the contractor pays the cop, then isn't the taxpayer really paying the cop?
View Quote

Do you even trickle down economics, bro?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They're too busy running speed traps in the construction zones here. Reason #409 why I don't like ISP.
View Quote

I'm sure they're heartbroken over your disapproval.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top