BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:13:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a stupid tax. If you're stupid enough to smoke,  you won't mind paying $8 for fucking cigarettes.
View Quote

It's a stupid tax. If you're stupid enough to shoot,  you won't mind paying $8 for a fucking bullet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:15:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's a stupid tax. If you're stupid enough to shoot,  you won't mind paying $8 for a fucking bullet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a stupid tax. If you're stupid enough to smoke,  you won't mind paying $8 for fucking cigarettes.

I don't like guns.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:16:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't like guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like guns.

You don't sound very fun

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:20:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You don't sound very fun

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like guns.

You don't sound very fun

I'm not.  I'm a curmudgeon who eats a lot of cereal and shits all day.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:22:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like guns.

You don't sound very fun

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:23:19 AM EDT
[#6]
It's for teh children
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:32:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They tax it to prevent consumption of the product.  "Sin Tax".  Then they raise the taxes higher and declare they'll use the extra money to fund "Stop Smoking" programs for the little children.  In doing they create another government bureaucracy program that has to pay salaries, fund pensions and cover overhead.  

Once the taxes kick in, and people actually stop smoking (due to the extra "sin taxes"), they cry and moan cause the "special programs" are not being funded enough.  So they raise the taxes again, cause, you know, its for the little children.  
View Quote

No wonder why my income is taxed! They don't want me working! Welp, welfare it is.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:33:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Why does WA put a liquor tax on liquor and still hit you with sales tax after? Its 20% tax. Well people bitched that they wanted to be able to go down to the grocery store on a sunday and get their booze. They got it but at a steep price. Now they bitch about the taxes. You better bet that genie isn't going back in the bottle soon. I never had any problems buying enough on saturday to last me till monday. Oh well. You get what you want and then some.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:52:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What you do is find an activity that can be demonized and, instead of abolishing it or forbidding it, you tax it.

It becomes easier to stomach immoral activity if the state gets a cut.
View Quote

Like guns?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:17:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No you wouldn't, that would become illegal overnight.  Big gov needs your money more than you do, can't have you evading the taxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They tax it to prevent consumption of the product.  "Sin Tax".  Then they raise the taxes higher and declare they'll use the extra money to fund "Stop Smoking" programs for the little children.  In doing they create another government bureaucracy program that has to pay salaries, fund pensions and cover overhead.  

Once the taxes kick in, and people actually stop smoking (due to the extra "sin taxes"), they cry and moan cause the "special programs" are not being funded enough.  So they raise the taxes again, cause, you know, its for the little children.  

Then, when everyone stops smoking pretty much, they will do the same with Booze.

$12 six packs of beer anyone?

If a six pack of even canoe sex beer was 12 bucks, I wouldn't buy beer at all.  I'd homebrew, exclusively.

No you wouldn't, that would become illegal overnight.  Big gov needs your money more than you do, can't have you evading the taxes.

Brewing beer is not especially difficult.

Nor is it particularly fraught with risk of being caught.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think they should raise the taxes on them.
View Quote

By your logic we should raise taxes on guns, bullets, and _________ then.

See how that works?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If a six pack of even canoe sex beer was 12 bucks, I wouldn't buy beer at all.  I'd homebrew, exclusively.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then, when everyone stops smoking pretty much, they will do the same with Booze.

And taxes would be slapped on the malt., hops and yeast, ASAP.

Uncle Sam will get his cut somehow ....
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hello, bootleg beer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#14]
oddly I'm ok with taxing the stupid ...

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this guy can't tell the difference between a bullet and a cig?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#16]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This, when people got heavily into making their own cigarettes because of tax increases on manufactured smokes the tax on loose tobacco was increased 2400%.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This, when people got heavily into making their own cigarettes because of tax increases on manufactured smokes the tax on loose tobacco was increased 2400%.  
View Quote

Tobacco is pretty easy to grow in many areas, and you are allowed to grow 1/10th of an acre for personal consumption.   Not hard to process, by and large, and you can buy rolling papers and small machines to help roll your own.  There, you just saved a ton of sin taxes.  

Buy seeds online, easy to grow, what's not to like?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I thought taxes were built in to the purchase price. ...

fed taxes are, local on top

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why are cigarettes taxed on top of the purchase price?
I thought taxes were built in to the purchase price. ...

fed taxes are, local on top

Yep. State "sin" tax added.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that why my reloads never work right? FUCK!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Revenue for the State.

If you want to find yourself in crap load of trouble, let the revenuers find you with un-taxed cigarettes.   Even just one pack.  Much less a carton.

And a case of cigs ???  forget about it.  

gd
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Name me one thing that doesn't have a ton of taxes built into the cost, prior to sales tax at the point of purchase.

Every single thing on the free market, especially in this country, has taxes of one form or another built into the cost. Right down to tax on motor fuel to get it to the store, property tax for the space the store occupies and sometimes multiple property taxes on the inventory if it sits on the shelf too long.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Because they can.

Suck it, addict.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Winston Churchill was stupid?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Because they can.

Suck it, addict.
View Quote

What a wonderful liberal attitude.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I like to think the prices keep going up for cigarettes because it'll influence people to stop smoking.

But that's just wishful thinking
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Because they can.

Suck it, addict.
View Quote

lol...and I get called a statist on this site.........
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok...I'm okay with them taxing 14'ers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I like to think the prices keep going up for cigarettes because it'll influence people to stop smoking.

But that's just wishful thinking
View Quote

One word:  Vaping.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You expect super rich pro sports franchise owners to pay for their own stadiums?

Nonsense!
View Quote

I live in Geauga county for a reason.

That said, go Browns.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Brewing beer is not especially difficult.

Nor is it particularly fraught with risk of being caught.
View Quote

If you're single with no kids. Supposing it was illegal to brew beer, I know my kids wouldn't be able to keep their mouths shut.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Tobacco is pretty easy to grow in many areas, and you are allowed to grow 1/10th of an acre for personal consumption.   Not hard to process, by and large, and you can buy rolling papers and small machines to help roll your own.  There, you just saved a ton of sin taxes.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're underestimating how hard it is to properly cure tobacco at home. I looked into it, and it seemed like a giant pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think you're underestimating how hard it is to properly cure tobacco at home. I looked into it, and it seemed like a giant pain in the ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tried growing my own tobacco once.  Failed miserably.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top