User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The North or the South?

poll coming

Union.

No country can stand if it's parts are alowed to just take their ball and go home...

Rebellion = Treason as long as elected government is still in office, still following the Constitution...

Basically, the Southerners said 'The Democrats lost the election, we don't like the guy who won, we're leaving'...

Immagine if MA, CA, NY, and all the other 'blue' states decided to leave if Bush wins in November?

THEY chose bullets over ballots, they deserved to lose... Any time you refuse to abide by the law (including the results of a fair election), you must be punished for it...

There are many more reasons, 'knowing what we know now', but I am assuming the question was 'given the situation in 1860, choose!', so I won't discuss the 'knowing-what-we-know-now'...

Oh, and this 'War of Northern Agression' stuff is BULLSHIT.

WHO FIRED FIRST? Why that would be the SOUTH, when they bombarded a US fort in Charlston harbor, IIRC...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Burn Atlanta!!

I'M FIGHTIN' FOR THE SOUTH....need some matches.  i'd like to burn it too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
THE UNION, I took an oath and it is in effect till I die!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I could not betray my state or the Union.  

Besides, I'm a Republican and you never know there may come another time where armed Republicans will be compelled to kill Democrats again (thank you P.J. O'Rourke)... He
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Great granddaddy was in the 13th Georgia Infantry. That's good enough for me. hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I voted for the Grey

You attended the BRD, we accept you here.

Danny

Thanks Brother. Always enjoyed the Southern Hospitality, but I am still not eating the GRITS.

I'll eat your share, tain't nothing but ground corn. I love Georgia Ice Cream!

BTH, you are welcome here.

Paging ETH, Oh Eric!

Danny
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I would have been "Burning with Sherman!!!"  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd fight for the south.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn,

I grew up thinking I'd fight for the North, the "free the slaves".

Then I read the Constitution.

Then I read history (the stuff they left out of the text books in NJ public shool).

Come to find out, I'd rather be a Copperhead.

The Constitution was a voluntary contract, and there was no "Rebellion".  That fact didn't escape anyone at the time.  You either believed in big government and fought for the Union, or you believed in small government and fought for the Confederacy.

Today, I would have no problem being on the true side of freedom, that of the Confederacy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#11]

"If I ever disown, repudiate, or apologise for the Cause for which Lee fought and Jackson died, let the lightnings of Heaven rend me, and the scorn of all good men and true women be my portion. Sun, moon, and stars, all fall on me when I cease to love the Confederacy. 'Tis the Cause, not the fate of the Cause, that is glorious!" --- Major R.E. Wilson, CSA

Renee
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Georgia...stomped by Sherman's march to the sea but ready to take on the Yankee pigs all over again!
The war was NOT about slaves.  It was about states rights and the economic war the north was waging on the South.

We would be much better off now if we would have sent them back home way back when.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Damn,

Then I read history (the stuff they left out of the text books in NJ public shool).

The Constitution was a voluntary contract, and there was no "Rebellion".  That fact didn't escape anyone at the time.  You either believed in big government and fought for the Union, or you believed in small government and fought for the Confederacy.

Today, I would have no problem being on the true side of freedom, that of the Confederacy.

Traitorous cur!

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Immagine if MA, CA, NY, and all the other 'blue' states decided to leave if Bush wins in November?

I'd be the first one to show them the door!  If they want to leave, then let them go!  

And if you damnyankees would have had the deciency to leave when you were asked, we wouldn't have been compelled to fire on Fort Sumter.  Kind of like when a guest overstays their visit and refuses to leave your house, you kick their ass right out the door.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
North 1

South 0

Sgatr15

How about a doll action figure production?

Danny

I don't have any yellow uniforms for the southerners.......

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#17]
FWIW ...I was in Appomattox 2 days last week.

To me, there is still a feeling I can't explain about that place.

You will have to visit to experience it.

If you ever do, I'm about 30 min. away, stop by.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess there aren't any "OWNED!" images of Grant and Lee at Appomattox?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

WHO FIRED FIRST? Why that would be the SOUTH, when they bombarded a US fort in Charlston harbor, IIRC...

Actually Dave, you may want to re-read your history books.  Lincoln promised the Governor of SC that they would not resupply or continue to build on Ft. Sumpter (it was not complete at the time).

He then sent the Atlantic fleet to do just that, and ordered Sumpter's commanders to build up the fort.

Faced with the alternative (having not only the Federal Navy, but a stationary fort in range to shell the city, and block a major port of the State), they did what they had to.

Yes, they shot first.  Only when it was obvious that if they didn't, the Federal Navy was going to come in and level the town (several months went by IIRC).

Let's both grab guns, and I'll point mine at your head.  Do you really believe anyone would fault you for firing first?  Of course not, unless you missed.

Welcome to "The War of Northern Agression".  You should read a little history before you call BS.

ETA:  You and I just can't agree on anything tonight, huh bud?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]

You'd be supprised at just how many Blacks fought on the Southern side during the WoNA(War of Northern Aggression). The History Ch. did a piece on it a while back. Remember, it was their homes that the North were burning and destorying too and alot of them didn't like it one bit.

www.37thtexas.org/

Renee

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#21]
The hell you would.

You dum,b rednecks would drive your tank 1/4 mile and turn left, drive a 1/4 mile and turn left. etc. etc. etc....You damn fuckers would never get out of town!

And rarely are you guys ever sober enough to shoot straight anyways.

Sgatr15

At least we can own a tank. an AR, carry a concealed pistol, elect someone other than Communist Schumer and Arkansas reject Hillary as a senator. BTW dumb is not spelled with a comma.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Proctor: All right, here's your last question.  What was the cause of
        the Civil War?  
   Apu: Actually, there were numerous causes.  Aside from the obvious
        schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists,
        there were economic factors, both domestic and inter--
Proctor: Wait, wait... just say slavery.
   Apu: Slavery it is, sir.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The north of course!

Who the fuck wants to fight with a bunch of whiners??  Damn southerners get upset when it rains for WWF Nascar
Sgat1r5

Sgatr15

Hey, not all Southerners think that NECKCAR WWF is real racing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The hell you would.

You dum,b rednecks would drive your tank 1/4 mile and turn left, drive a 1/4 mile and turn left. etc. etc. etc....You damn fuckers would never get out of town!

Sgatr15

At least we can own a tank. an AR, carry a concealed pistol, elect someone other than Communist Schumer and Arkansas reject Hillary as a senator. BTW dumb is not spelled with a comma.

Want me to teach you how to quote sonny?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The hell you would.

Sgatr15

Want me to teach you how to quote sonny?

SGatr15

Want me to teach you to spell, history lessons, to act mature, to show respect, and maybe even act like a gentleman?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#26]
300,00 yankees lieing stiff in southern dust
we got 300,00, before they conquered us
they died of southern fever, southern steel and shot
I wish we got 3,000,00 instead of what we got......

I would fight proudly fight with 16th Ga. Co. G, like my g.g.grandpappy and his brother( who was killed at Olustee, Fla. Feb. 20th 1864).

GONNA BREAK SOME BLUEBELLY BONES BEFORE THIS THING IS THROUGH
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Sgatr15

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance"
- Union General John Sedgwick, moments before being shot dead by a confederate sniper at Spotsylvania

Poor drunk Johnny Rebs!

Renee

"Duty is ours; consequences are God's." --- General Thomas J."Stonewall" Jackson

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Damn,

So you were brainwashed too ! I was taught the confederacy was evil back when I was in highschool.Come to think of it, almost all that I learned in school was BULLSHIT. BTW, no need for some members here to get NASTY, this is a friendly discussion despite our differences
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I would fight proudly fight with 16th Ga. Co. G, like my g.g.grandpappy and his brother( who was killed at Olustee, Fla. Feb. 20th 1864).

The Union armies had from 2,500,000 to 2,750,000 men. Their losses, by the best estimates:

Battle deaths: 110,070
Disease, etc.: 250,152
Total 360,222

The Confederate strength, known less accurately because of missing records, was from 750,000 to 1,250,000. Its estimated losses:

Battle deaths: 94,000
Disease, etc.: 164,000
Total 258,000

You do the math , but it looks like the south got an ass whuppin  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#32]
The Civil War didn't end slavery, but only increased the size of the plantation.  We're all slaves now to a greater master."

Put me down for the South.  I'll always fight against a Lincoln's brand of Tyranny.  Just like my  ancestors did against the Yankees, and their ancestors before them against the evil British.

“I never thought I live to see the day that a President of the United States would raise an army to invade his own country” General Robert E. Lee

"If I had foreseen the use those people designed to make of their victory, there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse, no sir, not by me. Had I foreseen these results of subjugation, I would have preferred to die at Appomattox with my brave men, my sword in this right hand."  R.E.Lee August 1870

“I have never taken my duties lightly, but I have no greater duty than to my home” General Robert E. Lee

“As a Christian man my first allegiance is to God, then to my state, and to the citizens who may justly control their allegiance.  This my understanding of patriotism.”  General Stonewall Jackson

“Just as we would not send any of our soldiers to march into other states and tyrannize other people, so will we never allow the armies of others to march into our state, and tyrannize our people” General Stonewall Jackson

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
...The war was NOT about slaves.  It was about states rights and the economic war the north was waging on the South.

And I'm all about making pigs fly !
(The first and last of my comments about that subject. )
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You southerners still think the war isn't over. We won, get over it.

If the north is so great, how come none of you fuckers will stay there?

Ya'll ruined your home states, and now you flee to ours to ruin them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The North or the South?

poll coming

Union.

No country can stand if it's parts are alowed to just take their ball and go home...

Rebellion = Treason as long as elected government is still in office, still following the Constitution...

Basically, the Southerners said 'The Democrats lost the election, we don't like the guy who won, we're leaving'...

THEY chose bullets over ballots, they deserved to lose... Any time you refuse to abide by the law (including the results of a fair election), you must be punished for it...

There are many more reasons, 'knowing what we know now', but I am assuming the question was 'given the situation in 1860, choose!', so I won't discuss the 'knowing-what-we-know-now'...

You sound like Lincoln
<----------------------
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Union armies had from 2,500,000 to 2,750,000 men. Their losses, by the best estimates:

Battle deaths: 110,070
Disease, etc.: 250,152
Total 360,222

The Confederate strength, known less accurately because of missing records, was from 750,000 to 1,250,000. Its estimated losses:

Battle deaths: 94,000
Disease, etc.: 164,000
Total 258,000

You do the math , but it looks like the south got an ass whuppin  

It looks to me that the South inflicted more casualties with about half the manpower.  IF the South had the same number of soldiers as the North, the North would have suffered more then DOUBLE the number of casualties of the South.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I voted for the Chinese, they're eventually gonna win anyway, manufacturing does it every time hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You southerners still think the war isn't over. We won, get over it.

If the north is so great, how come none of you fuckers will stay there?

Ya'll ruined your home states, and now you flee to ours to ruin them.

We didn't have air conditioning back then or we'd have stayed the first time we conquered you.

Add bug spray also.

And still all you carpetbagging pussy bastards do is whine about the heat & the bugs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm not originally from the South, but would have fought for it. I studied the Civil War in High School and they did make you think the Southerners were just trying to keep the slaves. I'm not touching that topic of slavery, but will say I am for State's rights. The Federal Govt has been trying to erode the State's right's for along time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Does this answer your question?  This was passed down through my dad's side of the family, and now I own it.  It will go to my son one day.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Oh....you mean the War of Northern Aggression.  (I was born in Texas, after all....)

Still, would probably fight for the Union.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, justifies the slave culture of the South.  I would do anything humanly possible to free another human being from that type of captivity.  Sort of like what we just got done doing in Afghanistan and Iraq.

JDuncan 1 is right, the issue began as a state's rights issue...but that was quickly overcome by the realization of what the South was doing to the blacks.   Once it became a moral issue, the entire North mobilized....and the South didn't have a chance.  Add to that Lee's blunders shortly before and including Ghettysburg (he never should have entered Maryland--he lost the moral high ground of "we're simply protecting ourselves" when he did that) and the South was doomed to lose.

I guess that you didn't know that the Emancipation Proclamation didn't free the slaves in the north, did you?
DId you know that there was active slave trading in the north during the Civil War?

You need to read and learn more about the Civil War that what you were taught in school.

Did you know that James Monroe set up a country in Africa for all the slaves, and their decendants at the time?
A little country called Liberia, who's capital is Monrovia.

YOu don't know much about the Cilil War, and it reasons, so don't chime in with that moral righteousness, when Lincoln didn't give a damn about the northern slaves (including the white slaves).
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#45]
The north. I despise slavery, and could not in good conscience have helped continue it, although I support the right of the southerners to secede from the Union and form their own national government. I know it was not just about slavery though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Hey don't get mad at me, your the ones who surrendered!

It would not happen again. Private firearm ownership in the South around 65%, private firearm ownership in the North around 35%. Oh, and you would have to find enough Yankees who are not liberal, anti-gun, flip floppers to invade. But I do like some Yankess. Go, Rudy in 2008!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#47]
The South.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The north. I despise slavery, and could not in good conscience have helped continue it, although I support the right of the southerners to secede from the Union and form their own national government. I know it was not just about slavery though.

Combat_Jack, here is a little peice about the Emacnipation Proclamation, and what it actually covered.
As you will see, it didn't do shit about slavery anywhere but in the South.

The Emancipation Proclamation Broken Down Barney Style By the US Park Service
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Go, Rudy in 2008!

TO hell with that RINO gun grabbing idiot.

If RUdy runs in '08, I WILL vote 3rd party.

ANd that goes for any Republican canidate that runs for President that has actively supported gun control.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#50]
"Who would have you fought for "??
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top